Room service ...?

I don't have to try to imagine, I can see it on their faces. Hard to miss! :D

I just laugh it off, no big deal.

THEY likely thank you for your effort and respect to try and speak in their native language. That courtesy is probably very appreciated. :)

Me too :D

IF we call it in, DH does it -- he has no problem with accents, he comes from the South and is retired military. ;)

But usually we use the hang tag and write in any special requests. :D

Now you are making me laugh!! from the South and retired military….:D

THEY likely thank you for your effort and respect to try and speak in their native language. That courtesy is probably very appreciated. :)

No doubt about that! ;)

I agree, and it's a large part of the fun of travel! Some of my best memories are of the times I tried (and failed) to communicate. Too embarrassing to repeat here though :p

Jane -- you know him, lol! :D

agree Sail, other cultures are very appreciative of our efforts - just as we should be appreciative of the efforts our wonderful crew make to speak to us. in our language:D

Edited by kazu

I'm sure I'm not the only person on this Board who has had family who emigrated to the US and tried to fit in and "speak the language"...heavily accented at that. My grandparents, very proud people, emigrated from Sweden at the turn of the century, and it was important to them that they learn the language...heavily accented as it was. I would hate to think that people found my grandparent's broken English hilarious...but I'm sure there were many people who laughed at them, too.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on this Board who has had family who emigrated to the US and tried to fit in and "speak the language"...heavily accented at that. My grandparents, very proud people, emigrated from Sweden at the turn of the century, and it was important to them that they learn the language...heavily accented as it was. I would hate to think that people found my grandparent's broken English hilarious...but I'm sure there were many people who laughed at them, too.

I'm from Alabama living in Texas. Texans and Yankees all laugh at my accent - which is heavier sometimes than others. Of course, they feel free to do it to my face, which IMO borders on rude. Hopefully no one laughed in your grandparents face. At least they are trying - which is saying more than most of the people I have to call daily who are on my tax dime!!

Innlady1, I too hope that no one found your grandparents' English hilarious. I fervently hope is that we have evolved beyond making fun of people because of their differences; that we can embrace and appreciate those who work so hard to fit in with North American culture. I have many friends whose English is imperfect because they have learned it as a second or third language. Kudos to your grandparents for doing everything they could to become part of their new country.

My husband lived in French Canada for two years in the early 1980s and learned to speak French with the Québécois accent which is VASTLY different from the traditional French accent. When we visited Paris, the native speakers would ask him if we were Canadian! (We are from Los Angeles!)

Then he came home and learned to speak Spanish. BUT he speaks it with a Québécois accent! Ai yi yi! We try to let me speak Spanish when we need it since my accent is pure Los Angeles! Heh.

Robin

My husband lived in French Canada for two years in the early 1980s and learned to speak French with the Québécois accent which is VASTLY different from the traditional French accent. When we visited Paris, the native speakers would ask him if we were Canadian! (We are from Los Angeles!)

Then he came home and learned to speak Spanish. BUT he speaks it with a Québécois accent! Ai yi yi! We try to let me speak Spanish when we need it since my accent is pure Los Angeles! Heh.

Robin

Great story and I can relate. My wife's originally Cuban and speaks fluent Spanish and I'm originally Dutch.

We use room service as our "wake up call". Each port day we schedule room service early enough to get our family of four feed and ready to be among the first off the ship.

Hot chocolate & chocolate croissants for the girls and black coffee for Dad. Nothing better than coffee with a view of an island or port. If available, we order sliced deli meat & rolls and make sandwich's for a quick bite while in port.

We like late dinner in the MDR and sometimes having the option of room service after a port and before the MDR will keep everyone's blood sugar (and tempers) in great spirits!!!

Sticking to the topic (kinda) I saw the picture posted of table cloth on the balcony cabin. We have a wrap around balcony - are the tables larger on those balconies? I also want to bring a table cloth - wanting to bring the right size. I could bring a large one to be sure....

CT

Pretty sure they're all the same size. My in laws are in one on the Noordam tomorrow. We'll try to let you know.

I also can not understand why people wish to dine in their cabins.

After a long, arduous shorex day, there is nothing like coming home to the stateroom, taking a looonnnnnggg hot shower, putting on some comfy clothes and ordering dinner from room service, and eating on the veranda! :D

Donna

We discovered the delights of room service on our first HAL cruise from Alaska. We ordered big cooked meals the first two days, then decided that we would have to be rolled down the gangway when we returned home if we kept eating like that! We enjoy puttering around the room, taking our time, etc. A pot of hot coffee just makes it perfect. Oh, I am speaking of breakfast. We have had a few dinners, just sandwiches, etc., when we are too tired after the day's outings to change for dinner. And coffee in the morning on the balcony is one of our joys.

We discovered the delights of room service on our first HAL cruise from Alaska. We ordered big cooked meals the first two days, then decided that we would have to be rolled down the gangway when we returned home if we kept eating like that! We enjoy puttering around the room, taking our time, etc. A pot of hot coffee just makes it perfect. Oh, I am speaking of breakfast. We have had a few dinners, just sandwiches, etc., when we are too tired after the day's outings to change for dinner. And coffee in the morning on the balcony is one of our joys.

Can't beat coffee on the balcony taking in Marjorie Glacier!

"We use room service as our "wake up call". Each port day we schedule room service early enough to get our family of four feed and ready to be among the first off the ship."

To be honest. You really don't want to be around us until we've had our morning coffee. In fact, we usually can't really stand each other until after one or two cups. So, in the interest of our fellow passengers, we also use room service to deliver our morning coffee. Maybe something light too, like toast. After the coffee and a shower, then we'll go for a real breakfast.

And one more thing about dinner on your veranda: You can order from MDR menu for delivery during its hours. Just have your room steward deliver a menu during the day, then decide what to have and pick up the telephone and order! In-room dining doesn't have to be from the room service menu, you know!

Donna

I'm from the UK too and I don't think you should generalise that nobody orders room service. We certainly do! We use it less on British ships which have a kettle in the cabin. On US ships we order our early morning tea from room service. We also use it sometimes when returning from excursions too tired to go up to the buffet. Sometimes for afternoon tea.

So just because you don't use it personally, don't assume that nobody else is either! Probably most people are.

Many years ago before HAL had the Neptune Lounge on ships for those of who sailed in the PS, S, SA, SB and SC cabins we used to order breakfast so that we would be ready for excursions and not standing in long lines. We had quite a few bad experiences. We tried the club sandwich one time when we got back late from an excursion -- many people recommended -- it was horrible. Also tried the cheese plate -- barely could see the 4 tiny pieces of cheese on it. Never tried dinner.

So -- for at least 10 years or more we have ordered nothing to the cabin and have no intension to do so.

I also can not understand why people wish to dine in their cabins.

One reason we had a couple dinners in our cabin is because of schedule being tight trying to attend a happy hour at a bar and go to show at 8:30 and wrap up the night by 10 so we can sleep early and wake up early. This scenario would be impossible itch the fixed dining at 8:00.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:

Originally posted by california traveler view post

sticking to the topic (kinda) i saw the picture posted of table cloth on the balcony cabin. We have a wrap around balcony - are the tables larger on those balconies? I also want to bring a table cloth - wanting to bring the right size. I could bring a large one to be sure....

Ct

CT, that's my tablecloth. I think the tables are all the same size, but what I'm using for a tablecloth is a yard and a quarter (45 inches) of ordinary broadcloth fabric that you'd buy at any fabric store. That cloth is about 42 inches wide and has nice selvedges so you don't need to hem the thing at all. When I got the idea for the first cruise where we did this, we were close to departure and I used what I had in my fabric bin and rather than threading the sewing machine with matching thread I just folded the two raw edges twice and used iron-on tape to hold them. So the cloth is about 42 inches square and as you can see in the photo, it is not close to being too small anywhere and the corners are hanging down even more. We put 4 clothespins (the magnetic kind we take to use on the wall) on the 4 corners to hold them down. In a breeze they might easily come up and flop into the food because they're really long. If you just get an ordinary square cloth, or make one really quickly, I think you're set for any size table HAL might offer you.

Edited by Spinner2

And one more thing about dinner on your veranda: You can order from MDR menu for delivery during its hours. Just have your room steward deliver a menu during the day' date=' then decide what to have and pick up the telephone and order! In-room dining doesn't have to be from the room service menu, you know!

Donna[/quote']

Can you order room service from the MDR menu on formal nights?

Absolutely. I recommend ordering two lobster tails.

Roger, only 2? Mike had 4 last cruise.

There are many reasons we have ordered food into our cabin. Just last month, I went too long without eating and had a mild case of motion sickness. The room service menu had on it what is good for motion sickness and I ordered it. We had breakfast delivered twice on that cruise. We didn't want to rush getting ready for tours when we woke up on port days and had breakfast on our verandah. It's a long walk to the Neptune from an aft wrap. We still manage to get there for some good coffee. We have never beeen disatisfied with anything we have ordered from room service.

Diane

Edited by legalslave

I'm from the UK too and I don't think you should generalise that nobody orders room service. We certainly do! We use it less on British ships which have a kettle in the cabin. On US ships we order our early morning tea from room service. We also use it sometimes when returning from excursions too tired to go up to the buffet. Sometimes for afternoon tea.

So just because you don't use it personally, don't assume that nobody else is either! Probably most people are.

So sorry if I offended you. Have fun with room service.