"automatic" gratuity added?

Califor6

One never tips people they don't interact with. Don't let a cruise line tell you how to tip.

I don't! If the service is bad in a particular area, I can see removing them or decucting some. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and give the alloted tipping amount unless they prove me wrong. If they do I will tip extra cash or take deduct. We never have had a need to deduct though.

When you are on that next cruise look around at all the people working to make your trip hassle free. The people on the lido decks at all hours bussing the tables, the guys pushing carts loaded with 500 pounds of luggage up and down the halls delivering your luggage, the room stewards constantly cleaning up your mess, and the hundreds of people working behind the scenes that you never see but have an impact on the quality of your cruise. These people are preforming jobs and working hours that we would never even consider. Now tell me how in good conscience you could remove your gratuities or complain about the amount that is automatically added. Just think of it a part of the cost of your cruise as others on here have said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're talking about full salaried people who certainly do NOT receive tips.

I don't think so.

People bussing on the Lido deck, part of the hotel/dining services team, they rely on tips. On other cruiselines, they are also the dinner service people, who work during the daytime at other locations onboard.

Guys pushing carts, usually the room stewards, also rely on tips.

Room stewards, definitely working for tips.

Behind the scenes people (laundry, entertainment cast and crew, janitorial) while salaried, usually not highly. That's why the tips are pooled and divided out the way they are.

Same with us, I don't want to think about tipping each person. We do give more to our room attendant and I always add on a buck or two when getting a drink.

Makes things much easier!

I thought I read somewhere that an automatic gratuity is added to a drink order. Is that true?

I don't "agree" with the Pre-Pay, I believe a TIP is for a service already given. I do not tip anyone when I'm at home BEFORE they wait on me, cut my hair, etc. There is no incentive to provide great service then. It is just a "given".

Even though I feel this way, I have never removed a tip. Although a few times, I should have...

thanks for the detail info and replies. I was wandering who all is included in the 'automatic' gratuity...but I am the kind of person that believes a tip is earned based on service given; not just assumed....I tip well for any dining, housekeeping, etc, whenever we go on vacation - so a cruise will be no exception/service first. I don't like when it's considered automatic - it's 'earned' for GOOD service. :)

Yes, that is true. It is for good service. But do you plan on carrying a wad of $1s so as to tip every person who provides good service? The easy ones to spot are your waiter or cabin steward but what about the folks at the buffet? Those who bring you drinks? How about those who clean a table for you to sit at? Etc.......... The auto-tips are a much easier way to handle this task.

These threads are like train wrecks. You know exactly where they're going but you can't help but watch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP is new to cruising and to CC. S/he has questions all over the place trying to figure out how it all works.

OP--Leave the auto grats in place (or pay ahead of time) and enjoy your cruise.

I don't "agree" with the Pre-Pay, I believe a TIP is for a service already given. I do not tip anyone when I'm at home BEFORE they wait on me, cut my hair, etc. There is no incentive to provide great service then. It is just a "given".

Even though I feel this way, I have never removed a tip. Although a few times, I should have...

The "prepay" part was and is a convenience for the cruisers who prefer to prepay their vacation.

Just have to add in my two cents...I went on the Behind the Fun tour last time, and there are so many people back there you never see! The laundry people on the Dream and the sweetest little men ever (they make jokes about being short) and they would probably get no tips without the auto system. Please keep these people in mind if you are thinking about cash tips only. Remember, these boats are not registered to America and Carnival does not have to pay American minimum wage.

I read somewhere that $10/pp/per day, is automatically added to your S&S card billing for your trip....HOWEVER, you can ask that they REMOVE it and just pay a cash tip (so you can chose your own tip amount)....

true or not? comments, thoughts, suggestions?

Where have you been $10pp/ per day, that was years ago.

You're talking about full salaried people who certainly do NOT receive tips.

I was waiting for this type of post. You didn't disappoint us. There is no way tippers are going to chase down people who should get those tips (a great part of the paycheck these people depend on). They are automatically added for simplicity for the cruiser, and no they are not required. How would you feel if you worked your butt off but did not get compensated for it? It's a shame to tip your waiter because he delivered your plate, but not the one who cooked the food or did the dishes.

OP is new to cruising and to CC. S/he has questions all over the place trying to figure out how it all works.

OP--Leave the auto grats in place (or pay ahead of time) and enjoy your cruise.

Absolutely, I wasn't trying to slam the OP at all. Re-reading my post I can see how I came off the way though. But that wasn't even on my radar. My point was that it only took a matter of minutes for the usual suspects to come in and start spouting the same stuff as always.

But FWIW I treat the tips as part of the cost of the cruise. I leave them on and don't tip anything extra except for room service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that $10/pp/per day, is automatically added to your S&S card billing for your trip....HOWEVER, you can ask that they REMOVE it and just pay a cash tip (so you can chose your own tip amount)....

YES you can! ITS your money! I like cash tips, and IM not a cheapskate. LOL

I was waiting for this type of post. You didn't disappoint us. There is no way tippers are going to chase down people who should get those tips (a great part of the paycheck these people depend on). They are automatically added for simplicity for the cruiser, and no they are not required. How would you feel if you worked your butt off but did not get compensated for it? It's a shame to tip your waiter because he delivered your plate, but not the one who cooked the food or did the dishes.

You seem to be confusing tip jobs and non tip jobs on board. Only those performing a service to designated passengers get a reduced salary and rely on tips. The rest of the crew get a designated wage.

The only people that should be tipped are your dining room servers and your room steward, at suggested rates. Other tips on board are for drinks, set at 15%, but also adjustable (easiest on the bill, but can also be done at guest services).

Room service and spa are discretionary.

You seem to be confusing tip jobs and non tip jobs on board. Only those performing a service to designated passengers get a reduced salary and rely on tips. The rest of the crew get a designated wage.

The only people that should be tipped are your dining room servers and your room steward, at suggested rates. Other tips on board are for drinks, set at 15%, but also adjustable (easiest on the bill, but can also be done at guest services).

Room service and spa are discretionary.

OK but what about pax who don't eat in the MDR. When we eat in buffets at home we always tip.

Just easier to leave the autograts ona nd don't worry about it.

Cruising is still cheaper pp than a day at Disney.

I don't think so.

People bussing on the Lido deck, part of the hotel/dining services team, they rely on tips. On other cruiselines, they are also the dinner service people, who work during the daytime at other locations onboard.

Guys pushing carts, usually the room stewards, also rely on tips.

Room stewards, definitely working for tips.

Behind the scenes people (laundry, entertainment cast and crew, janitorial) while salaried, usually not highly. That's why the tips are pooled and divided out the way they are.

Ask any of these "behind the scenes" people, and you will find out they DO NOT RECEIVE TIPS.

As far as the lido, take a close look. They are THE SAME people would work in the MDR and rotate, who you are already tipping in your 5.80 daily rate. Not to mention there are those that eat three meals a day in the MDR, except for the new practice of closing the MDR for certain meals. So you've already tipped, but receiving NO service for those meals.

Not true.. Don't remove the tips.. If so carnival puts you on a list and your room Stewart knows than your tooth brush may double as a toilet brush.. Don't let your tooth brush be used as a toilet brush don't remove your tips just keep the auto 11.50 in place so you don't come back with toilet breath

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by vols_159

Not true.. Don't remove the tips.. If so carnival puts you on a list and your room Stewart knows than your tooth brush may double as a toilet brush.. Don't let your tooth brush be used as a toilet brush don't remove your tips just keep the auto 11.50 in place so you do f come back with toilet breathe

If Carnival is hiring people that would seek revenge on its passengers, I'm contacting Mr Rossen at NBCNews to perform an undercover expose.

Meanwhile, they are shooting their own foot on all the cash tippers. It was just over ten years ago that ALL tips were in cash. When did Carnival start hiring these low lifes.

Ask any of these "behind the scenes" people, and you will find out they DO NOT RECEIVE TIPS.

As far as the lido, take a close look. They are THE SAME people would work in the MDR and rotate, who you are already tipping in your 5.80 daily rate. Not to mention there are those that eat three meals a day in the MDR, except for the new practice of closing the MDR for certain meals. So you've already tipped, but receiving NO service for those meals.

Did you spend all your cruise time interviewing who does and who does not get tips? Maybe you should educate us exactly who gets them.

Not true.. Don't remove the tips.. If so carnival puts you on a list and your room Stewart knows than your tooth brush may double as a toilet brush.. Don't let your tooth brush be used as a toilet brush don't remove your tips just keep the auto 11.50 in place so you don't come back with toilet breath

You mean you don't trust Carnival's employees to be ethical? Who would want to tip someone that has those intentions?

True, you can remove the auto-tip and tip in cash as you see fit. I think the figure is $11.50/day. It's your money and your choice.