Buffet Questions

Colorado Buffalo

The buffet at night is quite limited and no, you cannot get lobster or anything else that fancy in the buffet. You'll be limited to some salads, pastas, pizza and not so good things they call desserts---desserts in the buffet have always been a big negative on Celebrity. Some have said they have a carving bar, but I haven't seen much of that. Maybe some turkey, ham or beef.

There is a bar in the buffet and one at the very back of the buffet, outside.

Breakfast is 7 until 9:30 with a limited choice of things until around 10:30. Lunch is 12 until 1:30, with limited options after that until around 4:30.

Dinner is from 6 until 9, but they do have things like pizza and some salads until 11

What ship are you sailing? All of them have a bar as you enter the Buffet on the side opposite from the ice cream counter. There is a bar aft, outside the Buffet on ships except Silhouette and Reflection.

Lobster is not served in the buffet. You can order items from that day's MDR menu from Room Service (ie you can only order lobster from Room Service on the night it is on the menu in the MDR. It is not offered on both "formal" nights.)

Don't know the hours for all meals. I think for dinner its 6:30 to 9:30. But there is always something to eat from when it opens till midnight....

Am on the Constellation right now - they do have a carving bar at the buffet. Yesterday for lunch and dinner they had a top round of beef. Today they were carving up roasted pork loin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the S class they do have rounds of beef, whole pig, and pork roast. They also have steaks cooked to order. Evening buffet that was on the Equinox was very good. A lot of pasta and salad bar. Not very crowed and a lot of choices.

The buffet at night is quite limited and no, you cannot get lobster or anything else that fancy in the buffet. You'll be limited to some salads, pastas, pizza and not so good things they call desserts---desserts in the buffet have always been a big negative on Celebrity. Some have said they have a carving bar, but I haven't seen much of that. Maybe some turkey, ham or beef.

There is a bar in the buffet and one at the very back of the buffet, outside.

Breakfast is 7 until 9:30 with a limited choice of things until around 10:30. Lunch is 12 until 1:30, with limited options after that until around 4:30.

Dinner is from 6 until 9, but they do have things like pizza and some salads until 11

Oh boy, my experience last week on a Reflection differed somewhat.

I found the buffet to be pretty extensive - grilling station with assorted meat offerings, Carving station with varying offerings, Indian food station with about 4 curries and traditional accompaniments, pasta bar, hot food stations with various meat fish and vegetable dishes.... Pretty wide selection of desserts, some of which were forgettable, some quite good and at least one (a South African Malva Pudding) which I'm still dreaming about.

Bar was inside and was also a satellite version of Cafe al Bacio. Plenty of beverage servers making the rounds.

Full breakfast available until 10:30 and eggs, bacon and such still available until 11:30.

Afternoon tea with wee sandwiches and snacks - sushi comes out at 5:30... Chefs late night selection from 10 till 1, pizza, pasta and salad till 1am... we found the buffet to of a reasonably high standard and wished there were more hours in the day to allow us to explore it further.

I would just go to MDR in smart casual. There will be lots of men without suit and tie. Your waiters will even tell you to come.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by bigeagle12

I would just go to MDR in smart casual. There will be lots of men without suit and tie. Your waiters will even tell you to come.

I'd hate to go against what is expected of us.

We are going to be on the Silhouette...

is room service an extra charge ? is a tip expected ?

There is no charge for Room Service with the exception of some special items on the menu that clearly have a fee associated with them. Like caviar on your eggs... A tip is expected. But I agree that lobster is overrated...especially on cruise ships. I think you'd be happier at the Buffet.

Except for formal night ,jackets are not required in the MDR.

This is very poor advice for a new cruiser. You are correct that many do not adhere to the standard of a jacket, but that does not make it right and noncompliance should not be encouraged.

We ate in the buffet on the first formal night on Silhouette in January. There was actually a really good selection of items, much better than in past years when they just had salads & pasta.

Most of us here will tip for room service - about $2 for a snack up to $5 for a full meal. There is no additional charge for MOST items, but you will see on the interactive menu that some items have an additional charge. You could always make up plates & take them to your cabin.

This is very poor advice for a new cruiser. You are correct that many do not adhere to the standard of a jacket, but that does not make it right and noncompliance should not be encouraged.

Sorry, just telling it like it is. The waiters do encourage you to come. As society becomes more casual and with airlines charging for baggage ... more and more people are choosing not to bring formal attire.

Personally, we adhere to the dress code and will eat in the buffet or specialty restaurants if we choose not to take formal attire.

Totally agree!!!! Thankfully, the OP has the correct attitude and has stated he will not "go against what is expected". :)

Is there a bar in the buffet ?

Can I get lobster there on the formal night ?

(I refuse to take a coat and tie on vacation so I won't be in the MDR)

Any idea of their hours for all meals ?

Thanks

The S class ships have a bar inside the buffet.....portside and all

the ships have a bar outside.

No, you cannot get lobster there on formal nights.

Hours for dinner vary...normally about 5:30 to 9:30. Pizza is usually

served till at least midnight.

From the website:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Enjoy the MDR without a jacket except on formal nights, and on those night choose from buffet, specialty dining or room service. Besides the carving station, the buffet has steak grilled to order.

Enjoy!

I found the buffet to be pretty extensive - grilling station with assorted meat offerings, Carving station with varying offerings, Indian food station with about 4 curries and traditional accompaniments, pasta bar, hot food stations with various meat fish and vegetable dishes.... Pretty wide selection of desserts, some of which were forgettable, some quite good and at least one (a South African Malva Pudding) which I'm still dreaming about.

On our most recent cruise in December, we found the evening menu extensive as well. There was always Ham, turkey, pork, beef specifically carved to your request, and there were chops and steaks which could be ordered. In addition, there was stir fry and pasta, baked potatoes, salads galore. Frankly it was much improved from prior years.

You can also order from the MDR menu and have it delivered in your room - no cost but small tip nice. That includes lobster on the one night they serve it and it can be combined wiht other entrees, same as in dining room. If you don't have a jacket, they will give you one at the door. Two of three men at our table left their jackets at home as the couples had travelled extensively before leaving Europe on the TA, and had no room to pack formal wear.

Enjoy!

The buffet at night is quite limited and no, you cannot get lobster or anything else that fancy in the buffet. You'll be limited to some salads, pastas, pizza and not so good things they call desserts---desserts in the buffet have always been a big negative on Celebrity. Some have said they have a carving bar, but I haven't seen much of that. Maybe some turkey, ham or beef.1

Not sure when you last cruised on Celebrity but on the Century last month the options in the buffet for dinner were plentiful so I disagree with you about limited. There was also the carving bar, Asian food, Tex-Mex and grilled to order items including steak, fish, pork and chicken. Also some dishes from the MDR were included.

Your description of food was also included but a minor part of the evening buffet.

Have read where reservations are required for dining in buffet at night. Can the reservations be made pre-cruise or are they made on the ship on a daily basis?

No reservations ever needed for the buffet!

A few years ago they set aside a section where you reserved and paid $2.00 to order from a limited menu . The servers were training

Bar was inside and was also a satellite version of Cafe al Bacio. Plenty of beverage servers making the rounds.

Full breakfast available until 10:30 and eggs, bacon and such still available until 11:30.

Afternoon tea with wee sandwiches and snacks - sushi comes out at 5:30... Chefs late night selection from 10 till 1, pizza, pasta and salad till 1am... we found the buffet to of a reasonably high standard and wished there were more hours in the day to allow us to explore it further.

This is the best report I have read on buffets aboard S class ships.

Good job!

John

When my husband was sick and not up to eating the rest of the family ate on the Balcony. ( we didn't want to leave him because we were not sure what was wrong ). It helped that we had adjoining cabins and had opened up the partition. The steward bought our choices from the main dinning room. Everything came at once he did explain this would happen. We ate our main course first followed by starter and salad and were careful to choose things which would keep. The desert was no problem.

This could work for you. Try to remember to bring enough drink into your cabin.

Cafe Bacio does coffee to take away in Starbucks like cups. I must admit it was a lovely meal.

Is there a bar in the buffet ?

Can I get lobster there on the formal night ?

(I refuse to take a coat and tie on vacation so I won't be in the MDR)

Any idea of their hours for all meals ?

Thanks

There's always Carnival, if you don't like dressing up. They have enforced the dresscodes in the MDR(thank God)At least have the fashion sense to wear a good pair of dress/Khaki pants & dress shirt. A sport coat is needed for formal night, but you don't need a tie. We like dressing up & are saddened by the downward style into trailer trash chic, that seems to go for good style these days.As to lobster it's the warm water variety, not the good kind, like the ones we get here in New England. There is a bar in the buffet. The food choices get pretty slim later at night.