On board the Spirit

duct tape

Me too Herman -- lesson learned -- never do round trip Fort Lauderdale again.

No offense to Floridians -- just too easy to drive - park - dominate the ship. I enjoy a mix of nationalities and interests - which seem to prevail when advance planning is required.

We were on this cruise too and never have I seen such a very senior crowd on board for a "beach" type of sailing. It was a totally different vibe and I felt as though the fabulous crew had a lot of extra work on their hands.

We were on this cruise too and never have I seen such a very senior crowd on board for a "beach" type of sailing. It was a totally different vibe and I felt as though the fabulous crew had a lot of extra work on their hands.

I think it was the combination of a roundtrip Fort Lauderdale cruise and Venetian Society sailing. And yes, there was more whining than usual about inconsequential things (i.e., "I don't really like these ports. They should have done a better job selecting them." HELLO! You selected this voyage/itinerary!) We were on the Spirit three months ago (same head chef) and felt the food was even better in the MDR on this voyage. The service was fantastic as always.

I think it was the combination of a roundtrip Fort Lauderdale cruise and Venetian Society sailing. And yes, there was more whining than usual about inconsequential things (i.e., "I don't really like these ports. They should have done a better job selecting them." HELLO! You selected this voyage/itinerary!) We were on the Spirit three months ago (same head chef) and felt the food was even better in the MDR on this voyage. The service was fantastic as always.

I got a chuckle out of the chair hogs in the BAR on deck 5. Come late afternoon the folks would spread out and claim all the chairs and sofas through 8 or so with purses, jackets, canes etc. It was very awkward to sit down for a few minutes to watch the sports TV or go over excursion papers when it was made clear that everything was "saved". The port complaints were endless and really rather stupid but we heard them as well. Thank goodness the weather was so good or people would have needed more inside space and that lounge is very large. I think the fabulous crew displayed the patience of saints on many occasions and I made note of that in the comments. I took less notice of where people were from than their rather bratty, entitled behavior. At the end of the week, it was still a superb cruise as usual.

Are there any changes of crew today? Captain, HD, CC?

I'm currently on Sliver Wind and have been told Spirit is about to get OUR chef who is transferring either today (Las Palmas) or in the next day or two. I am mighty cranky but pleased for you as she has provided us with the best food by a long shot in any of my 14 cruises. Her name escapes me for the moment (after an alcoholic lunch!) but she is South African. Enjoy.

I'm currently on Sliver Wind and have been told Spirit is about to get OUR chef who is transferring either today (Las Palmas) or in the next day or two. I am mighty cranky but pleased for you as she has provided us with the best food by a long shot in any of my 14 cruises. Her name escapes me for the moment (after an alcoholic lunch!) but she is South African. Enjoy.

Her name escapes me as well--Marie, perhaps? Anyway, agreed, she is fantastic. Ramon has been on board since we were on in December, so perhaps he is heading off on a well-deserved vacation. Consensus on the Spirit (as well as hearing from a friend who got off the Shadow in Asia two weeks ago) as that food has been much improved as of late. We actually saw an improvement between December 2013 and March 2014 on the Spirit.

I got a chuckle out of the chair hogs in the BAR on deck 5. Come late afternoon the folks would spread out and claim all the chairs and sofas through 8 or so with purses, jackets, canes etc. It was very awkward to sit down for a few minutes to watch the sports TV or go over excursion papers when it was made clear that everything was "saved". The port complaints were endless and really rather stupid but we heard them as well. Thank goodness the weather was so good or people would have needed more inside space and that lounge is very large. I think the fabulous crew displayed the patience of saints on many occasions and I made note of that in the comments. I took less notice of where people were from than their rather bratty, entitled behavior. At the end of the week, it was still a superb cruise as usual.

Hmmmm. I didn't notice that. But perhaps they were saving the tables for trivia at 4:45pm because trivia got so large it needed to be moved from the Panorama to the bar on deck 5! We had to frequently change our table at trivia since we would arrive and many tables were occupied.

And yes, the fabulous crew displayed the patience of saints given all unnecessary whining!

Fizzy, did we meet at the meet and mingle???

We are joining the Silver Wind on April 14th for 11 days. Would you happen to know who is replacing the fabulous "South African" chef? We sailed last September on the Shadow with Chef Ramon and loved the food.

Hope the replacement on the Wind is equally as good. Perhaps Chef Ramon is going to the Wind for a change of scenery.

Bon Voyage!

ScottToronto

The Chef is Anne-Mari and she is brilliant. Chef Ramon has earned his vacation. As noted above, these 2 weeks have been very different. Last week the average age was quite high. I don't care that is was full of Florida folks, just surprised. My impression of the Spirit demographic was young folks, young families, maybe inter generational with 7 days to catch up and get some sun. Wrong last week. This week, much younger, more active, pool area much more active, crowded and noisy. Food and beverage service suffering. There are children aboard but mostly very well behaved and well dressed. There has only been one pesky kid in the pool but I may not behave the next time he kicks me. The 3 young boys in ties and blazers put quite a few other guests to shame. I really dislike shorts, t-shirts and flip flops in the evening! The western Caribbean itinerary was also, I believe, more passive than the current eastern islands. It is also warmer. Grand Turk was new to me so I enjoyed a silly, boring trolley ride to see the island. Samana, Road Town, Phillipsburg hold no current interest for me but St Barth's is one of my favorites and I look forward to lunch and some shopping tomorrow. I need to report on our CC M&M parties. Selvaggia, Cruise Consultant, was our hostess. She is as sweet and as beautiful as ever. Last week we had Herman the Cat, argylsock, edbreb, fried guard and the duct tapes. I didn't get to meet Annabelleetc and/or fizzy. Nice time in the Panorama with treats and beverages. This week we met in the Observation Lounge, again with Selvaggia and beverages and treats. We were jwsfun and entourage, library1 and duct tape. I didn't get to meet happy traveler and parish cupcake, I think. If I did, my apologies. Good fun and laughs had by all. Venetian Part held in the Panorama last night since there were only about 150. Very different from last week when there were 270! It has been a pleasant, much needed rest for us. I still favor the FF (first four) ships but the Spirit has gone from the Do not Board List to the Injured Reserved List. It is still a SS ship with great officers and crew. Yes, Wes, very long! This ship has started using mini iPads for food orders, which will be a bonus eventually. I also have witnessed kinks in the advance reservation system for the restaurants, so be aware and plan accordingly. Still too many people not able to experience the specialty restaurants. They were all terrific, BTW. It will all work out eventually. Ah, the sun and surf have mellowed me!

Duct Tape - you've really done us a wonderful service - detailed experienced review and I don't care what anyone says -- unbiased. Sounds like the Spirit may be moving you. I don't have many cruises to waste, so will not be on board again, but every time I say never again - something changes my mind.

Will be Whispering very soon -- heaven !!

Continue to enjoy and please continue to take us along. Thanks !!

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Hi Duct-tape,

It was wonderful meeting yourself, Herman the Cat, edbreb, and fried guard at the M&M and following throughout the ship. One of the highlights for us.

As first time 'luxury' cruisers (we've been mainstream cruisers up to this point) we found the Silver Spirit wonderful and more than worth the premium over the mainstreams. Food was terrific! Jorge arranged an Indian meal for us on the last night (my birthday) that was out of this world (thanks to Stephan for preparing it for us).

Although for the regulars the ship seemed crowded we never felt like we were packed in and really enjoyed the space we had. The pool deck did get crowded but we were always able to find a space to relax.

Service was excellent.

The entertainment was 'weak' but we were expecting that and weren't on the ship for entertainment; solely for relaxing and unwinding. On that count, we were absolutely thrilled!

I will write a review over the next week with more details.

Duct-tape - enjoy week 2 on the ship!

"It still is a Silversea ship".... And for us, that makes all the difference. Sounds like you and Mr. Duct Tape had a relaxing good time. Very glad to hear it!

We will be meeting up with Dusababy on the Whisper in May. I think I correctly filled out the newfangled My Silversea questionnaire. But, just in case, I'd love some tips on how to circumvent possible problems with several restaurant reservations which ( I think) I have made for all of us.

Thanks for your detailed review. It and many others were interesting, fair and informative. This is Cruise Critic at its best.

We made two dinner reservations on 'My Silversea'. Only one was actually processed. Fortunately, our butler was able to get us into the Grill (the lost reservation).

I would suggest following the old process of getting dinner reservations as soon as you get on board. My Silversea is quite new and I don't think that they have ironed out the processes yet (missing Grill reservations seemed to be a common theme).

On a positive note, there were two representatives from the FLL office on the ship during the embarkation process. I was able to spend a great deal of time with the IT representative who was on board describing my challenges. She provided me with her contact information and I am reaching out to her with my observations regarding the process. It's a positive sign that they are interested in our experiences with the new system.

The Chef is Anne-Mari and she is brilliant. Chef Ramon has earned his vacation. As noted above, these 2 weeks have been very different. Last week the average age was quite high. I don't care that is was full of Florida folks, just surprised. My impression of the Spirit demographic was young folks, young families, maybe inter generational with 7 days to catch up and get some sun. Wrong last week. This week, much younger, more active, pool area much more active, crowded and noisy. Food and beverage service suffering. There are children aboard but mostly very well behaved and well dressed. There has only been one pesky kid in the pool but I may not behave the next time he kicks me. The 3 young boys in ties and blazers put quite a few other guests to shame. I really dislike shorts, t-shirts and flip flops in the evening! The western Caribbean itinerary was also, I believe, more passive than the current eastern islands. It is also warmer. Grand Turk was new to me so I enjoyed a silly, boring trolley ride to see the island. Samana, Road Town, Phillipsburg hold no current interest for me but St Barth's is one of my favorites and I look forward to lunch and some shopping tomorrow. I need to report on our CC M&M parties. Selvaggia, Cruise Consultant, was our hostess. She is as sweet and as beautiful as ever. Last week we had Herman the Cat, argylsock, edbreb, fried guard and the duct tapes. I didn't get to meet Annabelleetc and/or fizzy. Nice time in the Panorama with treats and beverages. This week we met in the Observation Lounge, again with Selvaggia and beverages and treats. We were jwsfun and entourage, library1 and duct tape. I didn't get to meet happy traveler and parish cupcake, I think. If I did, my apologies. Good fun and laughs had by all. Venetian Part held in the Panorama last night since there were only about 150. Very different from last week when there were 270! It has been a pleasant, much needed rest for us. I still favor the FF (first four) ships but the Spirit has gone from the Do not Board List to the Injured Reserved List. It is still a SS ship with great officers and crew. Yes, Wes, very long! This ship has started using mini iPads for food orders, which will be a bonus eventually. I also have witnessed kinks in the advance reservation system for the restaurants, so be aware and plan accordingly. Still too many people not able to experience the specialty restaurants. They were all terrific, BTW. It will all work out eventually. Ah, the sun and surf have mellowed me!

Love your post and so glad that you have moved the Spirit up a notch. It's not our favourite ship but it does have some redeeming features.

Swingy, yes, there are 3 charters in a row. Stumblefoot, the crew, the quiteness of the suites, Seishin and having the pool to myself on port days. Speedbump appeared last night. STARS. Unforgettable service, music and food for all the wrong reasons! Skip it. Beautiful day in St Barth's, nice stroll, a little shopping and a great lobster lunch with goat cheese and bacon salad. Yum. BBQ this evening.

Hi Duct tape,

Where do like to dine in St. Barths. Any recommendations? We are sailing to St. Barths on the Whisper in December.

I've always wanted to eat at Eden Rock. Have you ever been?

I love lobster and goat cheese too.

Regards,

Scott

ScottToronto.

Stumblefoot, the crew, the quiteness of the suites, Seishin and having the pool to myself on port days.
Thanks for sharing!

Speedbump appeared last night. STARS. Unforgettable service, music and food for all the wrong reasons! Skip it.
Concur on Stars.

Think we'll cancel our reservation at STARS after reading this from Duct Tape and Colonel Wes. Although it'll be our first time aboard the Spirit, we've only got 7-nights and can't afford to throw one away on trial-and-error.

Just to pick up on the Stars restaurant theme: we ate there 3 times last Feb on the South Pacific ''Grand Voyage'' and enjoyed it immensely.

Firstly, we were rather taken with the musical duo; a very talented pianist called Tim and a soulful singer whose name I don't remember - we generally avoid live music like the plague as it is often either intrusive, amateurish or both but this pair were excellent.

We loved the 9 course tastings. OK, so there is inevitably going to be something that doesn't suit but isn't the joy of something like this the surprise and adventure of new tastes?

Should we be on the Spirit again we will definitely eat once a week in Stars. But just to demonstrate that we all differ, we won't waste another evening at Hot Rocks. I can't cook and have no interest in doing so even on a gimmicky hot rock and OH is a professional chef with 30 years experience of cooking from simple meals to Royal banquets - the last thing she wants on holiday is to cook her own dinner!

Edited by Tothesunset

I have not heard of much. I think it has been disappointing. I heard the London

office has invited some of their Frequent Floaters onto a particular segment, at guest's expense. I do not know which segment. To answer your earlier question, I think the Chef may be the only big change at turnover. There was a large crew turnover 2 weeks ago. I will have to ask Jorge when he goes home.