A Royal Tarnishing

People, its just a way of doing business in todays world. I guess I'm one of the people that is considered the "type" that the new age cruise lines want to attract. Have not cruised much and really like the product, (if you haven't seen what is being taken away you don't miss it ) They will not focus on the savy and experienced loyal cruisers because frankly in 10 - 20 years you will not be cruising much if any. I would trade many of the "perks" that some consider a huge loss for the current drink packages (and no, I'm not a drunk but I'm on vacation and like to relax and have a couple each day). They really don't "owe" you anything ! you chose to buy a product and at the time it was considered a great product,,, if the product is no longer a great product in your mind,,, then you will have to move over because there are lots coming behind you to grab their new found "great product" and will enjoy it. When and only when the ships start sailing half full will you ever see some of the perks that you once had return.

Many who are retired are cruising 10 +++ weeks a year - that's not significant???

So this makes the savings certificates more applicable now. Most of them are $150 for the class of rooms we get, which is more than the $100 NCC on board credit.

I can't recall the last time I was able to use a C&A Savings certificate. All of a sudden, they are an option.

So this makes the savings certificates more applicable now. Most of them are $150 for the class of rooms we get, which is more than the $100 NCC on board credit.

I can't recall the last time I was able to use a C&A Savings certificate. All of a sudden, they are an option.

Yes, unless of course Royal is also eliminating savings certificates for short cruises too.:eek:

Yes, unless of course Royal is also eliminating savings certificates for short cruises too.:eek:

Nah...they'll just change the rules so that in order to apply a $150 certificate, you'll only have to pay them $200:D

I personally hate the MDR staff cuts. My Assistant waiter juggling bread, water, sodas and now my wine service. they hardly keep up. But my best guess is that RC hopes new cruisers will come again while they gamble you are now loyal enough to stay

To add to the tarnishing . . they have eliminated the C&A balcony discount for cruises less than 6 days......

The Diamond discount (> 6 months went up to 250 from 225). It looks like all of the Diamond level discounts on longer cruises went up as well. Maybe it's different for different levels?

Where is everyone seeing this? I just looked at a 4 day balcony and it had a $125 C&A diamond discount. Also an 8 day still had a $225 balcony diamond discount. :confused:

lol, ok ok, I was stretching it a lot with the "frankly in 10 - 20 years you will not be cruising much if any." comment but you get the point. Also, consider that sometimes, yes the product does change over the years,,, but YOU are changing as you get older too !

Where is everyone seeing this? I just looked at a 4 day balcony and it had a $125 C&A diamond discount. Also an 8 day still had a $225 balcony diamond discount. :confused:

I went to the RCCL site, logged in and check my benefits. Under 6 day cruises are gone for a balcony discount.

Edited by Debde

I went to the RCCL site, logged in and check my benefits. Under 6 day cruises are gone for a balcony discount.

CC is buzzing today. The C&A page shows the exact same wrong discounts for all levels minus, as you said, under 6 day. But, the website booking process still has all of the C&A balcony discounts under the old rules. Go figure. :)

FYI for all- I booked a 9(4and5) day on Ruby Princess cruise and a 5 Day Liberty Royal cruise. All b2b2b. The 9 day was a 2 month last minute trip. and since I was going away for 9 days decided to add the 5 days. To keep this short. Princess was a disappointment. I always heard good things about princess. I wont go into detail. On the 5 day there was a noticeable improvement with service and Food. The 5 day made up for everything the 9 day was lacking.

Still Love to cruise.

The Diamond discount (> 6 months went up to 250 from 225). It looks like all of the Diamond level discounts on longer cruises went up as well. Maybe it's different for different levels?

Is this the D balcony discount and where do you see it?

I too am disappointed in the new negative changes. However, I am willing to accept them because I have seen the reduction in cruise prices as well. I have been cruising RC for 10 years now. I used to pay about $650- $800 per person for a 7 night Caribbean cruise ( inside room). I paid 890.00 once. I now have a 6 night cruise on the Independence booked for 383.00 person, and a 7 night for the Allure can be had for 712.00 per person - also inside rooms.;)

Since I always book inside cabins, this reflects my experience as well. Where else can you get a six-night vacation for just a bit more than $400?

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

I just went to check my Next Cruise confirmation and sure enough, $25 OBC...and I wasn't even aware of it!

But that won't stop us from cruising RCCL, we have too much invested in the loyalty program and we love their ships. There will always be changes, they never stop. IMHO the biggest changes occur in the food area with quality diminishing all the time. The food was so much better 10 years ago. Again not a deal breaker because of Galveston as a port, etc. And we wouldn't even consider Carnival again.

But our next cruise is Celebrity and some of our friends say that will be their go to now that we get Elite status there. But booking with them is not making a statement because it's still RCL.

The only recourse is to complain and remember the C&A debacle, it did make a difference.

While everyone's opinions and concerns do matter, and they are definately valid, there is one thing we all need to remember.

If we don't like what RC is doing,(and they aren't the only cruiseline making cutbacks and changes)we can always just go somewhere else.

The grass may not be greener on the other side though, so be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes:

I just went to check my Next Cruise confirmation and sure enough, $25 OBC...and I wasn't even aware of it!

But that won't stop us from cruising RCCL, we have too much invested in the loyalty program and we love their ships. There will always be changes, they never stop. IMHO the biggest changes occur in the food area with quality diminishing all the time. The food was so much better 10 years ago. Again not a deal breaker because of Galveston as a port, etc. And we wouldn't even consider Carnival again.

But our next cruise is Celebrity and some of our friends say that will be their go to now that we get Elite status there. But booking with them is not making a statement because it's still RCL.

The only recourse is to complain and remember the C&A debacle, it did make a difference.

As I read your reply when you write, "IMHO the biggest changes occur in the food area with quality diminishing all the time. The food was so much better 10 years ago." -- it brings to mind a conversation I was having with a friend a few days ago. The conversation centered around a local restaurant (mid to high priced), that has changed it menu and to the opinion of many 'lowered the quality of their food'......yet kept their prices the same.

This isn't a new phenomenon. It crosses industry lines.

:confused:

The original post echos those in another thread - parts nearly word for word.

The rest of thread took off in predictable form thereafter...

What is clear is that no one has yet posted they are fond of the new NCC policy...how many of those folks actually act upon communicate that dislike with RCI directly (in contrast to this thread) remains to be seen.

Every word of complaint spoken on these boards are taken notice of by RCCL and that is a proven fact....since you were not around back in 2010 and thereabouts when RCCL was changing the loyalty program, you may not know that. As many complaints or more about those changes plus emails and letters to RCCL somewhat helped a turn around in thinking at RCCL. So it pays to repeat and repeat.

Edited by BecciBoo

Regarding the balcony discount, I just read this post on another thread. The OP wanted to verify the amounts before booking while on their next cruise.

fyi to who ever is reading . called crown and anchor. they confirmed is a programming glitch . I did find them to be very helpful though sorry to waste your time but thanks anyways

Royal tarnishing or how the world works? Milk, gas, cars, housing eye have all gone up over the years. Are you going to stop eating? Are you going to live on the street? I doubt it. Times have changed and u either keep it moving and adjust or complain. If you don't like Royal then try Carnival. They're a business and they're main goal is to make money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree, they are targeting a family demographic. I must say as someone that hasn't been cruising for long yet, I don't blame the company for changing some of its practices. I don't understand the long waits on the phone lately, but is that part of their plan to get people to go to travel agents? So many people here just advise others to pester the heck out of the phone centres and many of the comments have been coming across and very "entitled". Just keep hassling until they cave in. In the meantime we can't get through.

They have been practicing with cutting back the ability for customers from other countries to chop and change, and move from cabin to cabin week by week, and price drops are not an entitlement. Maybe they have seen that if you give a customer a tighter framework then they will, on large, just book what they want and that is the end of the continual calling. Our last cruise had 20% C&A membership. That means 80% were new cruisers. Do you think they had to handle all the phone calls and cabin changes from them? They give a loyalty program with all sorts of benefits, and boy do they get a hammering on here for it all being not good enough.

Maybe, just an idea, Royal Caribbean is looking at the things that take time and are not helpful on their bottom line, and if you call it penny pinching, I have to agree with "help04me", some changes are excellent business decisions.

Library and Internet room. Sorry, technology has changed, and people wanted wifi so they could hook up in their cabins to get online and read their e-readers. Usually what I see in those locations recently are people having a nap, or they are empty.

You have to look at the price overall, and if it doesn't add up, then head over to something else. If you don't get a buzz from cruising anymore, do a land vacation.

HMMMMM...... Interesting - Never thought of it that way but you've made valid

points. (with the exception of the travel agent reference - imo).

I haven't been cruising long either but always feel like I could've gotten more, a better cabin, more obc or just somethiing else when reading some of the discussuion here.

I only know RCCL and I am overall pleased but I think I just may consider other lines when looing to book my next cruise.

HMMMMM...... Interesting - Never thought of it that way but you've made valid

points. (with the exception of the travel agent reference - imo).

I haven't been cruising long either but always feel like I could've gotten more, a better cabin, more obc or just somethiing else when reading some of the discussuion here.

I only know RCCL and I am overall pleased but I think I just may consider other lines when looing to book my next cruise.

it does make you wonder.