Caribbean Princess unable to leave port today :(

mjrich73

Feel sorry for them if they have to go into NO...we had to do that when Hurricane Ike washed our car away and destroyed Galveston port in the process....after floating around a while, the storm surge was finally down enough on the Mississippi that they docked at New Orleans. As a Texas resident, all I can say was the folks there had a VERY short term memory about all the aid we gave after Katrina, cause we had to PAY CASH to get on the bus to the airport (can't remember how much, but it was NOT cheap!) and then had to buy walk up rate tickets for airfare home a long, expensive, no help for being a victim of a hurricane for us kinda experience...sure hope since it is not like there are closed roads and issues that were not workable after the hurricane, the cruise lines have buses available to take folks back to Galveston to continue home...but it will be a mess and huge headache for anyone without travel insurance for sure. :(

Edited by Debe7ing

I don't see anything on the Princess website, Twitter or Facebook, but the following was posted by Carnival regarding the Magic's return to Galveston today:

Web Update - 11:15AM EDT

Carnival Magic – 03/23/2014

The Galveston area is currently experiencing fog and the Port of Galveston is closed to all inbound and outbound traffic.

Additionally, a fuel barge sank near the Texas City Dike yesterday causing an oil spill which has also closed the entrance to the channel. Once the fog has lifted enough for safe navigation, the United States Coast Guard will assess the situation near the spill.

At this time, we can't provide you with an estimated arrival time for the Carnival Magic or the new check-in time for your cruise. However, we are hopeful the fog will clear later this morning. We'll continue to monitor the situation and will provide you another update no later than 12:00 PM (CDT).

Due to limited seating and parking facilities, we ask that you not proceed to the terminal before you receive our update.

In the meantime, to stay in touch, if you haven't already done so, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates on our arrival into Galveston. If you already signed up during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

I don't see anything on the Princess website, Twitter or Facebook, but the following was posted by Carnival regarding the Magic's return to Galveston today:

Web Update - 11:15AM EDT

Carnival Magic – 03/23/2014

The Galveston area is currently experiencing fog and the Port of Galveston is closed to all inbound and outbound traffic.

Additionally, a fuel barge sank near the Texas City Dike yesterday causing an oil spill which has also closed the entrance to the channel. Once the fog has lifted enough for safe navigation, the United States Coast Guard will assess the situation near the spill.

At this time, we can't provide you with an estimated arrival time for the Carnival Magic or the new check-in time for your cruise. However, we are hopeful the fog will clear later this morning. We'll continue to monitor the situation and will provide you another update no later than 12:00 PM (CDT).

Due to limited seating and parking facilities, we ask that you not proceed to the terminal before you receive our update.

In the meantime, to stay in touch, if you haven't already done so, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates on our arrival into Galveston. If you already signed up during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

Since the CB arrived with no issues and passengers were able to disembark/embark for the new cruise there was no need for a news release.

Maybe today since the ship is delayed and ports will change.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It definitely sucks for those whose vacation will be impacted but in all honesty, the cruise ships are probably not the highest priority for the Port of Houston. They are the busiest cargo port in the country, and the impact on the oil industry will be huge if those tankers can't get in. Wonder when our gas prices will go up :confused: This will be a real economic mess if they don't reopen the shipping lanes soon.

Then there are the poor little birds who are going to end up soaked in all this oily goop :(

I was wondering when the Port of Houston moved past the other 6 busiest ports in the country?

I was wondering when the Port of Houston moved past the other 6 busiest ports in the country?

My apologies :rolleyes:

'It is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage, second-busiest in the United States in terms of overall tonnage, and thirteenth-busiest in the world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Houston

http://www.chron.com/discoverhouston/article/Houston-has-the-busiest-seaport-in-the-US-4486844.php

Edited by Cruzin-K

i am watching with much interest as i am on the next cruise.

i love the attitude that the food is good and there's entertainment.

i still want to go, even if all we do is stay tied to the dock but i feel bad for the people from texas who probably don't want to spend their vacation in their own back yard. for me it will be exciting to be in texas!

My apologies :rolleyes:

'It is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage, second-busiest in the United States in terms of overall tonnage, and thirteenth-busiest in the world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Houston

http://www.chron.com/discoverhouston/article/Houston-has-the-busiest-seaport-in-the-US-4486844.php

Ahhh, you are so right, I was thinking more along these lines..:rolleyes:

"The Port is the busiest port in the United States by container volume, the 16th busiest container port in the world and the 9th busiest internationally when combined with the neighboring Port of Long Beach."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Los_Angeles

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/newsroom/2013_releases/news_110713_Carriers-Containers.asp

I would be okay missing a port, but the weather here in Houston is terrible today. We didn't bring clothing for 63 degree! I was expecting 80 based on Caribbean weather forecasts. :( We would have had better weather if we had stayed at home.

We have a port side balcony and no one is out on the pier, so I don't think we'll be heading anywhere soon. Looking forward to the Captain's 12 o'clock update.

Ahhh, you are so right, I was thinking more along these lines..:rolleyes:

"The Port is the busiest port in the United States by container volume, the 16th busiest container port in the world and the 9th busiest internationally when combined with the neighboring Port of Long Beach."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Los_Angeles

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/newsroom/2013_releases/news_110713_Carriers-Containers.asp

LOL. Shall we figure out the busiest airports in the country next :D

I suppose every business can say they are the best at something, if they skew the numbers the right way :p

Here's another way to look at it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world's_busiest_port_regions

No matter what though, I do feel bad for everyone having their spring vacation impacted like this.

I was on the CB last November 30. We were one of the few cruises that made it out on time, and pretty much returned on time (docked early to beat the weather). It was a great cruise, and I hope those on board can keep a positive attitude and enjoy whatever ports they end up at.

Edited by Cruzin-K

i hope no one takes their frustration out on each other. i also hope you get an update soon. its much easier to take your circumstances if you know what's in store. the lack of communication would also bother me. I'm fine even if you say you know nothing and are working on it.

Number of ships affected

While the remaining oil in the damaged barge is removed Sunday, the mouth of Houston ship channel is closed to all ships in either direction. It's not clear when it will reopen, Danus said. Twenty-seven vessels, including two cruise ships, are waiting to enter the channel from the Gulf of Mexico. Thirty-four vessels, including one cruise ship, are waiting to leave Galveston Bay.

I know it is not nice being stuck in port, but at least you are on vacation and you are making the best of it. If they are going to be a while, can you get off and enjoy time doing some shopping or just looking around town. Just asking. I do understand about the oil spills, they are going to take a while to clean it up. I hope you enjoy your cruise no matter what.