Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

Hi all,

I learned and benefited so much from reading the CC boards prior to my recent cruise, I wanted to share what I could. I know people have different experiences and opinions so, to be clear, this was what my husband and I experienced and, take or leave what you want from it.

Nov. 14th: 5:45am flight PVD to FLL-- great flight easy boarding, early arrival to FLL. We booked Jiffy Jeff transportation to ship on recommendation from CC posts. Our driver was late but Jeff did call to let us know. He made several stops-- in airport and at a hotel-- prior to leaving for port. We still arrived at POM around 11:30am. Embarkation was smooth, efficient and quick. Moderate lines moved quickly. After reading the reviews from previous cruises regarding long lines at Margaritaville, we headed right up there for lunch--for our cruise, it was complimentary except for bar drinks. Even though the restaurant was just opening, we were told the wait was over an hour and were really pushed to go to the buffet. There was a large section of empty tables. I asked to sit there while we waited (raining so outside tables not useful). At first we were told "no" but, then we were seated. A very nice waiter came over and offered drinks...and we started a very happy experience with our UBP!!. We did wait about an hour and the lines got huge with no where for the people to sit to wait. Once seated in the main restaurant, service was prompt and friendly. IMHO the food was plentiful but only ok---definitely not good enough for me to want to wait an hour or more again. I did note a really fun and friendly bartender who tried to get a party started by singing and dancing as he worked. Unfortunately, they closed Margaritaville and Spice H2O to the public so travel group could have private party for sailaway. This was SO WRONG!!.....they hogged two of the best places for sailaway. I have to admit, I got some evil satisfaction when it was pouring during sailaway so they really couldn't enjoy it. :o

While we waited for our room to be ready, we explored some and went to the Internet Café where my husband signed up for the unlimited plan ($209-- we found it very slow but, helpful in following happenings at home) The announced when blocks of cabins were ready (the speaker system generally useless as cannot hear in almost all areas) We were in mid-ship mini-suite 14832. Very nice. Bed near balcony, big sofa, long narrow desk with tv and plugs.(we brought additional and extension cords) fyi, there are outlets to charge phones on lamps (didn't find these until cruise almost over :o) To answer some others' questions, we did not have lights on our balcony but, this was just fine for us. Large bathroom with big spa shower--very nice. Minimal bathroom storage. After reading previous poster's review, both my husband and I brought those storage bags to hang on bathroom door and, this worked out great. We had plenty of storage in room for all our stuff and we brought lots! Plenty of room under bed for our suitcases.

We had reserved spa passes-- for us, we needed to go to spa where they stuck a sticker on the back of our cards-- easy peasy! While there, they were having a drawing for $50-$500 in spa certificates--had to listen to short talk about different services offered but, worth it if you win the $!! Of note, you have to be there to win-- you can't claim prize for spouse, child, etc. Spa is beautiful. More on that later.

***Important note**** Highly recommend that you reserve all your specialty meals PRIOR to booking. There were lots of questions about this before we cruised. We chose the 3 day SDP but, wanted to pay separately for the Supper Club (not a good value using the sdp for this), it ended up coming out of the SDP-- I tried to fix it and book LeBistro once on board and there were absolutely no openings for LeBistro or Cagneys once on board. I heard many complaints from fellow passengers that, reserving even the other venues required a very early or late reservation. You should also reserve shows--- even comedy--that can only be done onboard and, I did not realize this and we got blocked out of most comedy shows.

Speciality restaurants/shows: So, as I previously said, we had 3 day SDP. We did Supper Club: awesome show-- of note, arrive early for good seats. We had a table to the left as you enter --to the far left with a small raised podium beside it. Little did I know that I would become part of the show!! The performers frequently use that and, dance/perform right in front of us...so fun!! They sit you with others to fill the space, as necessary. None of us at our table loved the food but, many others did-- it is all subjective. I would still go again as the show is so worth it!

Cagneys--we booked this on an at sea day prior to seeing Million Dollar Quartet. Allow at least 2 hrs prior to a show to be safe. Food was good--found restaurant a little loud. Honestly, we liked the steakhouse on Carnival's Valor better.--again, personal taste. Million Dollar Quartet was great and well worth seeing

Teppanyaki-- loved it! I know some people say that they can do this at home but, you can also go to a steak house or a show. It was still fun and the filet mignon/shrimp was some of the best food on our cruise. They also brought out a cake for my birthday and it was yummy! (enough to share with table) We went to see After Midnight after this but, the long hours, food and UBP caught up with me and I fell asleep so, can't speak to that.

Comedy/Headliners: Loved Gina and Rodney. We never got to see any of the late shows as they booked up (see warning above) Howl at the Moon was in the same venue alternate times/nights- -- very popular, never got in but found so many other awesome things to do. Seriously, you have to try real hard to be bored!!

Bars/Drinks-- never a problem getting a drink at the bar or from wait staff. My husband and I could order for 2 with one card, no problem. I am usually not a drinker but, tried lots of new concoctions-- favorites were Mango meltdown and Rebellious Fish (seriously, I drank over 20 of these during the week..love em!!) We read a lot about "Bong" from the Getaway being in the Sugarcane Mojito Bar but, ended up going on a night that the huge group of travel agents had taken over Bayamo next door and it was overrun. Bong was overworked and overwhelmed... very nice, but I don't think we got to see the guy everyone loves. I wasn't a big fan of the drinks so we never went back there. Liked the specialty drinks in Teppanyaki-- forget the names but they were on the menus. You can bring drinks from one venue to another including the spa. If you are going on the pool deck, just ask for a plastic cup.

Spa/Thermal Suite/gym: we didn't try any extra treatments in the spa. Access easy-- just present card, they take it and give you a card to access. Towels and robes provided-- also, tea and ice water with fruit. Great view from bow and awesome place to lie with a beverage on a heated lounger watching the sunset! Always lots of loungers-- heated ones a little more difficult but, always found one and usually, two together. I did notice that they allowed people awaiting treatments to use the loungers and, when they came to get them, they would tell them to leave their towels and they would be cleaned up and, they never were. The loungers appeared in use or "hogged" when, in fact, the spa staff did not, clean up. If I saw this and saw people unable to find heated loungers, I would let them know.

We like the vitality pool and it had a beautiful ceiling above. The Jacuzzi was too cool the whole time so didn't use it much. My husband liked the moist heat room, the snow room (30 sec only!) and the exercise machines. There is a push by the staff to access services for additional cost and they got him to buy "Good Feet" inserts for $200!

Honestly, we probably did not get our value from the pass but I am glad we experienced it. Not sure if I would do it again on a Caribbean itinerary but, on a cooler itinerary, absolutely!

Groups: the good, the bad and the ugly! Ok... so I mentioned how they reserved 2 of the best spots for sailaway...definitely NOT cool!! They do block out rooms for them. During the day, they are generally venues that would not be open anyway so, no biggie. At night, though, they did block out entire restaurants. The first night, it was Savor but, we were able to get into Taste without problem so, not a huge issue. As I mentioned, they blocked Bayamo one night-- did not effect us directly except when they were all pushing to get to the bar before their meal. Once they left (en mass) all was good. Generally, en mass, was the biggest problem...you didn't want to be anywhere that they were heading in or out of.

The good: they were not on deck taking up chairs. We NEVER had a problem getting a chair anytime even prime spots near the pool.

While I am on the subject of the pool...I think our cruise was different in that it was the week before Thanksgiving so, the number of kids was very small and, I found the ones there very well behaved. But, I did notice a father take a well behaved 11ish girl into the hot tubs (which, btw, were marked "Adults only" and and, quickly, a fellow in a yellow shirt (there were a bunch wandering the deck...not sure of their exact job) politely and discreetly ask her to get out. We'll see if that continues on later cruises with more kids. The kids play area was really nice and, though the slides were open only intermittently, all using them appeared to enjoy them. Also, the ropes course was down a lot but, when open, the wait was very short and they seemed to have a good time. We got a good view while playing mini golf, which was fun (and a bit of a challenge when the ship rocked!!)

Surprise find! They often had games in the atrium near the Guest services desk. Whenever I passed through, I always found myself drawn in to the fun-- ending up sitting at the bar, having a drink, making some friends and having a great time. On one occasion, I found Guy Harvey giving a lecture which was awesome (he was on our cruise with his family and was very nice, accessible and interesting. He also painted while people watched but, I did not see this)

Final thoughts: It will be really hard not to have a great time on this beautiful, fun and huge ship! Bring some comfy walking shoes and a sense of adventure. Despite over 4000 people, it rarely felt crowded. We could always get an elevator-- sometimes they were crowded but, generally, people just used it as a time to meet! Oh, sorry to go off topic but, just remembered--regarding elevators and boarding at ports-- there tends to be a huge line right as you board as there are only 2 elevators which go down to that deck. If you can, just walk up one flight and there is a whole bank of elevators and no line. Also, this leaves those 2 elevators for those in wheelchairs and with strollers--that's my public service announcement for this critique.

I hope this lonnnngggg post helps/interests people. To those with upcoming cruises...have fun....I am soo jealous as I want to be back there right now!!

http://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-adds-cover-charge-to-margaritaville/

This article state that guests received and email regarding the changes to Margaritaville. I did NOT get an email....did you?? :mad:

We haven't received an email about the Margaritaville change and we are within 50 days for our Escape cruise. (We have gotten a couple of other emails from NCL today for booking new cruises.)

OMG the cheapos are going to freak out. I predict at least 10 more threads about this topic in the near future. My opinion is simple, there are still many more free dining venues around the ship. If Margaritaville cost money and you don't want to pay that money don't go to Margaritaville. Some of you are going to be shocked to hear this but on land Margaritaville cost money too lol.

They spent a year advertising it as included with the cruise fare. That's a bogus move by management.

OMG the cheapos are going to freak out. I predict at least 10 more threads about this topic in the near future. My opinion is simple, there are still many more free dining venues around the ship. If Margaritaville cost money and you don't want to pay that money don't go to Margaritaville. Some of you are going to be shocked to hear this but on land Margaritaville cost money too lol.

I guess I'm offended by being called a 'cheapo'. It is disappointing that the grill in this position on the 'away' ships has been a complimentary restaurant. We love the Flamingo grill and it has been a major reason we have cruised on the Getaway 3 times and are booked for it again. I'm still excited for our January Escape cruise but I know I won't pay $2.99 for french fries when one floor down they are free at the buffet. I don't really like french fries but as an example:rolleyes:

So that's it,

No complimentary outdoor eating venue anywhere on the upper open decks.

If you want something you have to get it from the buffet.

We loved Margaritaville on Escape, but definitely not worth those prices. If I want to pay for lunch, I'll be at Food Republic, which is actually worth the money.

Edited by LrgPizza

This article state that guests received and email regarding the changes to Margaritaville. I did NOT get an email....did you?? :mad:

Nope, no email and we sail tomorrow. Thankfully, there are always great cruise critic members who share what they know since I've never received any notification/email from NCL about any of the changes this year, including the cancellation of a cruise we had booked on the Star.

I did not get notice of this. I am so confused as to how to budget for onboard. Even though I had the UDP in January, I was charged the SDP flat rate for a couple of restaurants, given 25% off the Supper Club - not the flat rate, unsure what to budget for Pinchos, Food Republic, and Margaritaville and what tips are and aren't included! I can see why some of you are frustrated - I don't mind paying - I just am unsure why I am paying what for where!

So that's it,

No complimentary outdoor eating venue anywhere on the upper open decks.

If you want something you have to get it from the buffet.

That's my complaint. The pool area will be even more crowded. NCL boasts about the waterfront but the other outdoor areas are more limited now unless you pay to sit at Margaritaville or the Vibe.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

So sad! I hate the last night so much :(. Glad you loved the ship, I loved her too!

Yess! No matter how many cruises I take, last night is always the saddest night. I am at O'Sheehans now and watching the cruise events highlight reels (I was in a couple of them lol) definitely made me sad.

Actually I think if you booked directly through the cruise line then NCL should have sent you an email otherwise your Travel Agent should give you the details

I sail tomorrow and booked this cruise with the understanding that Margaritaville would be complementary. I am EXTREMELY disappointed. Please save the subject to change discussion. I am still annoyed.

Well don't worry they're still many more complimentary place to go on the ship

Hi all,

I learned and benefited so much from reading the CC boards prior to my recent cruise, I wanted to share what I could. I know people have different experiences and opinions so, to be clear, this was what my husband and I experienced and, take or leave what you want from it.

Nov. 14th: 5:45am flight PVD to FLL-- great flight easy boarding, early arrival to FLL. We booked Jiffy Jeff transportation to ship on recommendation from CC posts. Our driver was late but Jeff did call to let us know. He made several stops-- in airport and at a hotel-- prior to leaving for port. We still arrived at POM around 11:30am. Embarkation was smooth, efficient and quick. Moderate lines moved quickly. After reading the reviews from previous cruises regarding long lines at Margaritaville, we headed right up there for lunch--for our cruise, it was complimentary except for bar drinks. Even though the restaurant was just opening, we were told the wait was over an hour and were really pushed to go to the buffet. There was a large section of empty tables. I asked to sit there while we waited (raining so outside tables not useful). At first we were told "no" but, then we were seated. A very nice waiter came over and offered drinks...and we started a very happy experience with our UBP!!. We did wait about an hour and the lines got huge with no where for the people to sit to wait. Once seated in the main restaurant, service was prompt and friendly. IMHO the food was plentiful but only ok---definitely not good enough for me to want to wait an hour or more again. I did note a really fun and friendly bartender who tried to get a party started by singing and dancing as he worked. Unfortunately, they closed Margaritaville and Spice H2O to the public so travel group could have private party for sailaway. This was SO WRONG!!.....they hogged two of the best places for sailaway. I have to admit, I got some evil satisfaction when it was pouring during sailaway so they really couldn't enjoy it. :o

I hope this lonnnngggg post helps/interests people. To those with upcoming cruises...have fun....I am soo jealous as I want to be back there right now!!

Momckb,

Thanks for your review. It was nice meeting you! I love that you "took evil pleasure in the rain" on sail away.....so did I!

Your review sounds quite a bit like mine. Here is mine. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2282445

The one thing I would like to change now is, that is M.Ville is no longer a free venue, I would no longer suggest going there. It was good because it was free and different, now that it's a pay restaurant it no longer has appeal to me. Very sad.

Many more? Name them big shot. I count...3? And one less than the -away ships?

Bummer. So NCL's biggest ship has 3 complimentary restaurants:

- main dining rooms

- buffet (Garden Cafe)

- O'Sheehans

Compare that to RCI's biggest class. On the Oasis of the Seas, the following are complimentary:

- main dining rooms

- buffet (Windjammer)

- Park Cafe

- Sorrento's pizzeria

- Cafe Promenade

- Vitality Cafe

- Wipe Out Cafe

- Boardwalk Dog House

- Solarium Cafe

And Johnny Rockets has free breakfast. Some of the venues I listed above on RCI are not open for dinner (or there is a fee for dinner like the Solarium) but I was thinking along the line of what is available for lunch. I considered Margaritaville a lunch type of place.

Edited by Yorkvillain

I'll preface my post by stating that I'm no fan of Margaritaville. Neither love nor hate the place but (IMO) it's just another place. I've been to a few but not on Escape, yet.

I've seen excitement and anticipation surrounding Margaritaville on Escape.

I've seen questions about how the food would be served on Escape (some thought it would be pre-cooked and sit under heat lamps).

I've seen above average reviews of the food from those who sailed Escape.

I've seen complaints related to long wait times, under-staffing, and empty tables while people continue to wait.

I've seen questions related to whether or not those staying in the Haven could have Margaritaville food delivered to their stateroom by butler (they can).

Now, I've seen that Margaritaville is a specialty restaurant with a la cartel prices.

I hadn't planned on going there but I could/still can see myself ordering something and having it delivered. There are more interesting specialty restaurants on Escape that I am looking forward to trying.

HOWEVER, I fully understand the frustrations of people who believed that it would be complimentary. If Margaritaville had been announced as a specialty restaurant from the beginning (before the ship began construction), I doubt that people would have had a problem with it like they do now.

Oh man I feel sorry for the staff at Margaritaville over the next couple of days. There are going to be a lot of angry passengers taking out their frustrations on them.

I may be disappointed with the decision, but in no way would take it out on the staff.

Edited by Sunset Lover 1971