Is the coffee that bad?

hbooden

I know I know it's subjective....I love coffee though lol and I am a bit nervous (ok dramatic but you know)

So are we talking like truck stop burned undrinkable? Too dark? Too light?

And part 2 on the gem balcony room I will have a little pot? Like I can bring my own coffee?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I know I know it's subjective....I love coffee though lol and I am a bit nervous (ok dramatic but you know)

And part 2 on the gem balcony room I will have a little pot? Like I can bring my own coffee?

I enjoy plain old regular coffee and have found NCLs to be just fine.

You should have a coffee pot in your room, not sure if the cabins on the Gem have pots. Hopefully someone who has been on the Gem will reply. If you do have a coffee pot, you can bring your own coffee.

The coffee on the Gem was just fine. In fact, it was very good in every dining room as well as the buffet.

We had a balcony room, and we had a 4 cup coffee maker. The regular coffee in the filter pack was fine as well!

No need to bring your own coffee. If you use more than they give you, then simply ask your cabin steward for extra packs.

I bring along a small plastic pill bottle with instant coffee of my choice and then

I can add a spoon or so to the weak ships coffee or just fill the cup with hot water

like you would for tea and add what works for me.

On the drastic side just pour a jigger or two of Irish or Scotch in the coffee and

problems about taste become non-existent.

How you get alcohol past security is a non-discussion issue !

I can drink ANY coffee.

This is sooooo undrinkable and I tried everywhere on the ship to see if it was the same...OMG.

Just like they used powdered eggs...they use liquid coffee instead of grounds.

Had to PURCHASE coffee from Carlos's Bakery and used the coffee machine in the cabin.

This is my ONLY complaint about cruising.

I can drink ANY coffee.

This is sooooo undrinkable and I tried everywhere on the ship to see if it was the same...OMG.

Just like they used powdered eggs...they use liquid coffee instead of grounds.

Had to PURCHASE coffee from Carlos's Bakery and used the coffee machine in the cabin.

This is my ONLY complaint about cruising.

On the Gem and Jewel its fresh ground beans per cup in the buffet.

On the Gem and Jewel its fresh ground beans per cup in the buffet.

Really? Very good to know. Just assumed all NCL ships were the same. Have only been on the Breakaway (which was amazing, by the way).

I know it was that liquid crap, because I asked every venue I went to....but great to know that REAL coffee is on other ships.:)

The best coffee on any NCL ship is served in the coffee bar in the atrium - BUT that coffee is unfortunately not for free..... ;)

Now, on the Star, the coffee (drip, not espresso drinks) in the atrium was free, and delicious. And so were the pastries. YMMV

I am a real coffee snob and have had some really, really bad coffee on cruise ships. I was so excited when I knew we would have a coffee machine in the room! I packed all my supplies and was ready to start my own personal coffee shop. Guess what happened....I never used any of it...the coffee in the buffet and other places was very good! I won't be lugging all my stuff on the Gem in October. ;)

Neither DH or I like NCL's coffee, in any venue we have tried. But that doesn't mean you won't like it. For example I don't like starbucks either.

We find it bitter tasting.

We get a balcony cabin which comes with a 4 cup coffee maker. We bring our own coffee and filters and have no problem.

Edited by che5904

you will have a 4 cup (more like 2 plus) pot and yes, you can bring your own coffee, but I don't think the coffee is bad at all on the ship. Great, no, but certainly drinkable.

There's a trick with the coffee machines in the buffets on NCL ships. Have a look at them all...they all have a container on top of the machine for the coffee they use. Some use beans and grind them, some are filled with pre-ground coffee. I'd say the ones with the beans are better (to my taste) than the ones using pre-ground coffee.

Cagney's and the Bistro serve French Press style coffee, but of course you can only get this at night, unless you're in a suite and can have Cagney's coffee with your breakfast and lunch. Of course, if you're in a suite, you'll have access to the wonderful Lavazza espresso machines.

The coffee in the MDR's is brewed in huge quantities and tastes like it.

I'm really picky about my coffee and I found the NCL coffee acceptable. I've had better, but I've had a lot worse. I've only sailed in a suite and I can never get those Lava-something machines to make me anything but a tiny espresso, so the first thing I do when I meet my butler/steward is to place an ongoing daily order for a pot of coffee every morning. It's fresh brewed and actually quite good.

Be thankful you're not sailing on Princess. They had two types of coffee: A) mediocre coffee, which was barely acceptable but still disappointing, and B) terrible coffee, which is the off-ramp-gas-station-vending-machine type of terrible. It was 50/50 for the morning room service whether you got A or B. And I'm in no mood to play games at that time of the morning. The only way to get a good cup of coffee on Princess was to go to the coffee bar and pay about $3 for an 8oz cup.

Edited by rajones007

Coffee, like food, depends on personal taste.

We find the generic 4cup filter packs included in the room almost undrinkable. Generally way too weak, but putting two packs in is too strong and bitter. I like a rich, dark cup of coffee with a little milk.

We found the free coffee on the Epic and Jewel to be just fine. The single cup grinders in the buffet on both ships was better than average, although there always seemed to be one out of order.

The free coffee available in the Atrium Cafe was good as well. In the morning the will put out large urns of the free coffee to make things easier.

The coffee in the restaurants was fine too. A little weak, but that can vary by batch and who fills the filter.

If you are a real snobbish coffee snob :) bring your own. However, I found the coffee in general to be quite good. Oh, the coffee on my carnival trip tasted like it was filtered through sweaty socks.