Valuables

Hi All!

Sailing the Allure next week. Just curious as to what you all do with your valuables while on shore excursions. You know, jewelry you don't want to wear for more adventurous excursions, passports, credit cards, or whatever. Someone recently told me their room safe was broken into and jewelry and cash were all stolen. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

We always use the room safe. Never had a problem. Off the ship I only bring a small amount of cash, sea pass and copy of my passport. Will only bring a credit card if we plan to shop. Everything else...in the room safe.

On excursions, you ONLY bring what very little you need. A bit of cash, 1 credit card (preferably, not the one linked to your onboard account) and any personal items specific to whatever activity you're doing. Leave the rest either in your cabin safe, or lock it in your suitcase!

I'm like all the rest. In 25 years of cruising off and on, I have always put my "jewelry/money/important papers" in the safe, and never has it been touched that I knew of. When I go ashore, I take cash, not a lot, but enough if I find something that I might want to buy, or tip a person with. Sometimes I take my billfold with my credit card with me too, but not always.

I don't bring any valuable jewelry on cruises, or on land vacations. Why would I?

As for cash and cards, never had a problem with the safes on ships. Plus, I have my own secret places where I keep some extra American dollars (good anywhere in the world). And I'm not even an American.

one time we had an issue with the safe in that the previous occupant had left it locked. It took maintenance over an hour to do whatever they had to do to open it.....Thus, I will never believe that a safe was broken into.If it takes the experts over an hour, and they have all the equipment at their disposal, I simply say a break in did not happen

Hi All!

Sailing the Allure next week. Just curious as to what you all do with your valuables while on shore excursions. You know, jewelry you don't want to wear for more adventurous excursions, passports, credit cards, or whatever. Someone recently told me their room safe was broken into and jewelry and cash were all stolen. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Like many others have never had a problem using the safe and on occasions have left things out without a problem.

Edited by BARNET

My first few cruises I took jewelry to wear in the evenings. The entire cruised I worried about it - not so much that someone would break into the safe - more concerned that I would misplace it. Now, I take costume jewelry and am much more relaxed.

That said, we do put cash, wallets and cell phones in the safe and have never had a problem.

I'm curious if the women go ashore with their wedding rings on. I can't remember ever taking mine off on my previous cruises so I assume I left them on, but I'm just curious what others do.

I never take my ring off. Also, we use the room safe all the time and have never had a problem. I really wonder how a safe could be broken into??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi All!

Thanks!

Never considered the safe not to be safe!!! When traveling, I don't bring expensive diamonds. I don't consider a passport an item for the safe, since it belongs with you, and not hiding. Credit cards are protected from theft, so they are not valuable. I do have a few hundred dollars with me, but again, I don't leave it out for temptation, so it gets locked up. When you go on vacation, you really need to take inventory of what you need and what you can get buy without. I'm selective with the credit cards, keep the valuables at home, and some items such as cell phones or cameras are the calculated risk that I take. Honestly, my clothes are more valuable than anything else I might lock up!!! ( I can't fit all my clothes in the safe). I think one pair of dress shoes cost more than any electronic item I might have.

We use the safe for any valuables, and things that may be only valuable to us.

I also don't bring any jewelry of any real value. Costume jewelry looks just fine.

I don't want to have to worry about taking things off for excursions, at the pool, or certain ports.

If anything is misplaced, lost or stolen, eh. No big deal.

I'm curious if the women go ashore with their wedding rings on. I can't remember ever taking mine off on my previous cruises so I assume I left them on, but I'm just curious what others do.

In "Real Life" I wear my rings all the time, in the shower, doing dishes, etc. So on a cruise I wear them too, except when we have a water based excursion (at least I try to remember to leave them in the safe). The cold water always makes my fingers shrink and I get nervous about loosing them.

Better safe then sorry!