A Warning on Carrying Handiwipes

Ronnie1a

I normally have a couple in my pocket when traveling. The brand I use is called Wet Ones. On my last trip, at the airport, something kept setting off the alarms at security and they almost had me down to my underwear before they found two handiwipes in my back pocket. Something in them, probably the tin foil they are sealed in, sets off the airport alarms. Once they were taken out of my pocket there was no problem By the time they discovered this I had 4 Homeland Security people standing around me. They also seemed surprised that the wipes would set off the alarms.

Thanks for the heads up! I travelled through four different airports two months ago with the individually wrapped Wet Ones and was okay. But I guess you never know what will set off those alarms!

:D Wonder why they didn't check your pockets before almost stripping you down to your undies! :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

At all the various airports we have gone through, they ask you to completely empty your pockets -- that includes handkerchiefs as they show up as a wad of something thick.

Agreed. Especially if you are going through a body scanner, which is becoming more of the standard at airports.

Certainly shouldn't be a problem to take them, just put them through the scanner separately with everything else you are carrying.

I normally have a couple in my pocket when traveling. The brand I use is called Wet Ones. On my last trip, at the airport, something kept setting off the alarms at security and they almost had me down to my underwear before they found two handiwipes in my back pocket. Something in them, probably the tin foil they are sealed in, sets off the airport alarms. Once they were taken out of my pocket there was no problem By the time they discovered this I had 4 Homeland Security people standing around me. They also seemed surprised that the wipes would set off the alarms.

I also carry the wet ones. I usually use the travel size 8 packet carried in a zip lock, because sometimes the packet will leak. I just recently have been able to get the individual packets, and I have only taken the individually wrapped ones one time, and they were in my carry on, so I didn't have a problem. I like those so much better.

I try to make sure I have nothing on my person when I go through security, because I have 5 screws and titanium in my body, so I beep anyway. I always get the pat down. :p

Our airport uses the full body scanner and tells us to take EVERYTHING out of our pockets, even a tissue.

Once had swarm of security on me. Some kind of "chemical" was detected on my person. After additional search, much questioning it was determined my hair product was culprit. "Bedhead". Makes me wonder what that blue goopy stuff is made of.

• 3 weeks later...

During a search using a wand(I have an artificial hip), the alarm kept going off near my bare feet. Security was called and I was surrounded with armed guards, told not to speak to anyone I was traveling with and not to even look at them. It seems I stepped on a penny while walking and it stuck to the bottom of my foot.

This isn't about wipes, but a funny story about a forgotten surprise while going through airport check-in.

While in the Madrid airport, the agent reviewing the x-ray screen motioned for me to review the image of my carry-on bag with him. There, he pointed to a forgotten gift for my cigar smoking husband back home in the states...a lighter. What's worse than forgetting your packed a lighter in your carry-on? Oh, I don't know, maybe that the lighter was a novelty item made from a retired grenade. :eek:

Language barrier and all, I was relieved of the calm demeanor of the airport security.

During a search using a wand(I have an artificial hip), the alarm kept going off near my bare feet. Security was called and I was surrounded with armed guards, told not to speak to anyone I was traveling with and not to even look at them. It seems I stepped on a penny while walking and it stuck to the bottom of my foot.

Reminds me of two things - my dislike of having to take shoes off at airports, my amazement that people don't seem to mind going barefoot where thousands of others do so, and, most absurd: the recent rule that people over 75 do not have to take off their shoes ---- has Al Quaeda promised that only young people will be used as suicide bombers? I'm happy to not have to take my shoes off - but if shoe bombs are a risk, they are a risk on a 76 year-old's feet as much as on a teen-ager's.

You can't win this thing. You can't know what'll set off the alarm and what won't -- and it isn't even consistent. For example, when we took a trip to the Western national parks, my hiking boots zipped through airport security just fine . . . but the metal speed-laces set off the security doorway at Glenn Dam.

We stayed at the airport hotel the night before we flew. While getting dressed, I asked my husband to put some lotion on my back. Since most of my things were packed I just used the lotion the hotel provided.

We had an early flight and took very little time to get checked in and through the security line. The body scanner lit up on both of us like crazy. After 'positive' swab tests on both of our hands and full body searches, the determined that there must have been glycerine in the lotion that hadn't had time to wear off.

We had a really good laugh over that one and, in the future, will be very careful with lotions when flying.

• 3 weeks later...

You are supposed to take everything out of your pockets when going through the scanners. This is a requirement.

I just got my Known Traveller Number from the TSA, so the next time I fly (in two weeks), I do not need to remove my shoes, or take my laptop out of the carry on bag. YEAH!

You are supposed to empty your pockets for exactly that reason. I'm sure the people waiting behind you trying to get to their flights were so happy you complied with that request.

You are supposed to take everything out of your pockets when going through the scanners. This is a requirement.

I just got my Known Traveller Number from the TSA, so the next time I fly (in two weeks), I do not need to remove my shoes, or take my laptop out of the carry on bag. YEAH!

I rarely set off security at airports, but every time I walked into the Courthouse I set off the alarm....turns out the teeny tiny screw in my eyeglasses sets off the sensors at the Court, but not the airport......which begs the question why is security tighter in courthouses than in airports? (recent episode of "Good Wife" notwithstanding) :D

Once had swarm of security on me. Some kind of "chemical" was detected on my person. After additional search, much questioning it was determined my hair product was culprit. "Bedhead". Makes me wonder what that blue goopy stuff is made of.

Don't know how to break this to you but the ingredient in Bedhead that triggered the alarm was butane. Yep, there is lighter fluid in the product. I stopped using it years ago for that reason.

Another side note on Bedhead.

I work in surgery and if you have this product in your hair, and they have to use cautery (an electrical device to control bleeding) It can set your hair on fire:eek:, if the cautery is too close, and or the users do not know you have this in your hair.

Be careful.

Sea Ya

Another side note on Bedhead.

I work in surgery and if you have this product in your hair, and they have to use cautery (an electrical device to control bleeding) It can set your hair on fire:eek:, if the cautery is too close, and or the users do not know you have this in your hair.

Be careful.

Sea Ya

There really should be a warning label on Bedhead that it is highly flammable. I suppose they don't want to call attention to the fact that there is lighter fluid in the product. :eek: