Do NOT become to complacent as we did :O(

Shippy

Don t become a victim. On the shore leave all jewelry even custome in the safe on the ship. Be aware when walking of the people around you. Men keep your wallet in your front pocket and put some rubber bands around it. On the ship lock up everything before you leave the room and if traveling with a lap top store inside a piece of locked luggage stored under the bed. Make safety a priority

...I always where a fanny pack onshore in any port rather than carry a purse.

To many stories of snatch & run with purses or cutting into backpacks.

Never heard a story about someone trying to pry off your fanny pack :O)

...I always where a fanny pack onshore in any port rather than carry a purse.

To many stories of snatch & run with purses or cutting into backpacks.

Never heard a story about someone trying to pry off your fanny pack :O)

I have heard of fanny packs being slit open on the bottom when in crowds. Too, a tablemate of ours had his wallet in his front pocket. He was in a crowd and, like people will do, he slipped his hand in his pocket, and there was already a hand in his pocket! A child pickpocket was working the crowd.

Sorry for your troubles, but thanks for posting and reminding us to be more careful. We have become lax also. We were on the Royal a couple of weeks ago, and yes we left valuables lying about. We have never had anything stolen, but there is always a first time.

Sorry that you had that experience OP, but thank you for posting. Like so many others on here we also travel with iPhones iPads and a MacBook. The iPhones live in the safe no problem, but the iPads are on the nightstands and the MacBook on the desk!

Having read these posts, and seen how many of us do leave them unattended, any thief onboard would have a high chance of grabbing something of value in a few seconds if they spotted an open door.

I will rethink how we store our valuables on our future cruises.

Thanks for the post! We do lock our things up, but on our long voyage next year, I was planning to bring my laptop. Locking in the suitcase is a great idea!

Some great tips in here. I always worry about my purse while in port; I throw it around my shoulder/neck and hold the bottom in front of me while in big crowds. We also always keep my husband's wallet in my purse. We take limited cash and identification to port.

Shippy’s experience is a true wake up call for me. I somehow feel that things are fairly safe in our cabin. I will be more attentive now. I think that we all need to be reminded of this every once in awhile. I know that I appreciate it.

We have always stored things locked in the suitcase under the bed.

There are some very good “diversion safes” out there. I have the hairspray can which unscrews at the bottom. I keep valuables in that and then keep it locked up with other things in the suitcase under the bed.

One would never guess that it is a safe. I even managed to get a small ding to the metal in the course of our travels which makes it look even more authentic. Once at an airport, a TSA agent pulled it out of my tote and said that I could not carry an aerosol on the plane. I told her to flip it over and unscrew the bottom. She was so impressed that she called over a couple of other agents to show them.

On shore that is a different story. We have security fanny packs and only take what is necessary. We wear no jewelry at all. We have inexpensive cameras and the worst part of having those stolen would be losing the memory card with our photos.

We do not carry our passports on shore unless directed to do so. I scanned a copy of the main photo page of each of ours onto the computer, tweaked it with my photo program, reduced it, and then had both laminated at Staples. They are the size of a business card and are easily carried. They look great and it sure beats $69 for an official passport card. I feel it gives us protection should the ship sail w/o us.

On the good side of humanity, on one of our 34 cruises, I left my purse in the ship Pizza Parlor. I did not know that I had done that until we got back to the cabin and I had a phone message telling me that my purse was at the PS desk. I was so grateful; everything was in it including cash.

Judith

Very sorry this happened to you but do appreciate your posting because it is a good reminder to all of us.

LuLu

~~~

Yes, thank you. At times my husband will leave his I-pad out on the dresser and even our Jawbone.

I do consistently lock up money, valuable jewelry, credit cards, etc. I now have an easy plan to secure the larger items starting with our next cruise in January, or at least make it much more difficult for someone to do a 'hit and run'.

Don t become a victim. On the shore leave all jewelry even custome in the safe on the ship. Be aware when walking of the people around you. Men keep your wallet in your front pocket and put some rubber bands around it. On the ship lock up everything before you leave the room and if traveling with a lap top store inside a piece of locked luggage stored under the bed. Make safety a priority

I flit around here on Princess forum, as well as HAL, so I don't remember who the OP was on this wonderful suggestion.

Purchasing a wallet with a chain and lock or caribeaner style hook to attack to your belt.

We have been sooooo lucky. My husband is very negligent with his wallet while traveling. He has dropped his wallet more times than I can count and I have always noticed right away.

We have a cruise planned for January and hubby ordered 'said wallet' off of Amazon. Best idea ever...and thanks to whomever the OP was!

I'm also sorry for the OP's loss but I refuse to have to secure my cabin by hiding and locking up everything when we leave.

First, if Princess cannot protect my belongings being in a cabin that I rented at great expense for a vacation then my business will go elsewhere. Of course we always use common sense when traveling but we do have expensive cameras, MacBooks, Ipads, etc that we do not leave in view when leaving but that is one reason we have never cruised without insurance.

And why would I want to disembark in a port that required me to have a chained wallet?

Mike:)

We routinely lock up everything when we leave the cabin. Not just to protect ourselves but also to protect our hard working stewards.

It prevents 'misunderstandings' from occurring.

I have been on CC for a dozen years, and believe me, very very few CCers suspect cabin attendants. For very good reasons which one can easily find with a little research! Or imagination.:rolleyes:

I've often thought when walking to my room and seeing all the doors propped open how easy it would be to sneak into someone's room. I feel this is really a big procedural oversight by the cruise lines. Imagine if something worse than theft happened as a result of this cleaning procedure. I would think that if the open door is out of sight, it should be closed. I would wager a bet that's how corporate says it should be done.

I agree with you that "proper" procedure should be to lock the doors at all times but this is sometimes "runover" by procedures having crews do the room cleans in teams with one cleaning bath and another running sweeper and "runners" dropping off supplies. I think most of the folks are pretty honest and would not take the risk of stealing -- a big risk of being put off the ship with no ticket home! BUT give folks a break -- do not provide temptation! Almost all theft is a crime of opportunity -don't provide the opportunity on a ship in a hotel room or out in public areas. Be organized -- if everything is in place it is much easier to see disturbance and thieves know that -- out of sight and the thief does not even think of taking your stuff. Hide stuff in plain sight. Camera in the closet with bathrobe over it. Leave drugs and RX in safe or at least in drawer -- mostly because YOU must have them.

Bear in mind that crew are NOT the only folks that might get itchy fingers. Going up or down the halls looking for opportunity or plucking something off the chair hog's (:D:eek::D ) chair seems to me that you could probably do well! Customers pretty much look the same type (older/middle age, medium height, little on heavy side dressed smart casual:D:D:D) and even if you do show up on hallway cameras well you fit in. Everybody gets on the wrong floor of the ship and can't find their cabin even after 7 days! Mamma says keep it neat and tidy, put away your toys where they are not in full sight, close the door and pay attention to what is going on. You are on vacation but your vigilance should not be.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

We have sail almost 50 cruises on almost every cruiseline. We have heard of many different types of bad incidents but it always the other guy.

We have gotten very sloppy with our own security. Every cruiseline, as with hotels , tell you to lock up your things and provide you with safes.

We are guilty of things like leaving our phones on the counter charging when we leave the cabin. Also things in the nightstand.

WELL THEY GOT US THIS CRUISE AND IT WAS NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE....

The 3rd day out, we returned to our cabin in the late afternoon to find my Ipad and my husbands dress watch missing. They were in the nightstands.

Our fault for not locking them up...

here is a real kicker.... I immediately called security and demanded to see the security video of our hallway.....THERE ARE NO CAMERAS IN THE HALLWAYS, ONLY PUBLIC AREAS.

I was really shocked, I thought there were cameras everywhere. They immediately shearched our room and our poor cabin stewardess who was hesterical.

Chalk it off to a learning experience..

This happened last week on the Grand

So sorry this happened, but didn't they check the activity / cabin entry records? Anytime someone enters (unlocks) a cabin door, there is a computerized record made of the card used, along with Date and Time. From there they can tell who it was (Cabin Steward, Passenger or whoever is coded to that card).

It's just like in hotels. They can supply you with the entire activity history during your stay, should you (unfortunately) need it. :eek:

I see you are Canadian and are probably not aware of ALL insurance issues, not just health, in this country.

Watch...$400. Ipad with case.....$650

I think our deductable is $1,000.

Even if a bit more was covered, I would not submit the claim. We would be paid then subsequentially either be canceled or recieve a rate hike.

We really save our insurance claims for a big event......

Very true. I learned the hard way when I placed a claim for my $1000 camera. Even though I withdrew the claim (and thus did NOT collect) it still counted against me and my insurance went way up the next year. Fortunately I was able to switch, but sometimes other companies will not take you either.

Will save the claims for MAJOR events in the future.

Sorry about your bad experience on Princess

Edited by Paulchili

Very true. I learned the hard way when I placed a claim for my $1000 camera. Even though I withdrew the claim (and thus did NOT collect) it still counted against me and my insurance went way up the next year. Fortunately I was able to switch, but sometimes other companies will not take you either.

Will save the claims for MAJOR events in the future.

Sorry about your bad experience on Princess

Another good reason to buy travel insurance.

I'm also sorry for the OP's loss but I refuse to have to secure my cabin by hiding and locking up everything when we leave.

First, if Princess cannot protect my belongings being in a cabin that I rented at great expense for a vacation then my business will go elsewhere. Of course we always use common sense when traveling but we do have expensive cameras, MacBooks, Ipads, etc that we do not leave in view when leaving but that is one reason we have never cruised without insurance.

And why would I want to disembark in a port that required me to have a chained wallet?

I hear what you're saying but Princess will not and cannot "protect" your belongings. The passenger contract states as much. Having travel insurance is key here. I always travel with it, too - just in case. However, I do put valuables in the safe, etc. every time I leave. I also do this in hotel rooms. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Not just losses from cabin or leaving them when you go to get a drink etc.

I had a beautiful jet beaded stole bought just for the cruise (76 days) and I wore it to dinner and then the theatre/lounge. It slipped from my shoulders as we were quite warm and when I turned around a little later it had gone

Never returned to pursers desk lost property at all and this was repeated many times by others losing slippers and other items on this cruise If you have a sticky fingered person on board they are very opportunistic Thankfully they are not the norm:(

Edited by windsor26

I have the find my iphone/ipad app on both iphone and ipad, and test it from time to time. I lost my phone once on the way to the ship, and was able to see that it was already on the ship in my luggage, so no need to go back to hotel and search.

So sorry this happened, but didn't they check the activity / cabin entry records? Anytime someone enters (unlocks) a cabin door, there is a computerized record made of the card used, along with Date and Time. From there they can tell who it was (Cabin Steward, Passenger or whoever is coded to that card).

It's just like in hotels. They can supply you with the entire activity history during your stay, should you (unfortunately) need it. :eek:

The only person to use a key entry that morning was our cabin stewardess who entered twice......however....if you read a lot of the prior posts.....the doors are sometimes left open while they do the cleaning and they do leave your room for a few minutes.

They also had people working on the balcony that morning and we did leave that door unlocked. They just manuver down the outside of the ship.

Immediately after we made the report...they searched our stewardess's cabin

I have the find my iphone/ipad app on both iphone and ipad, and test it from time to time. I lost my phone once on the way to the ship, and was able to see that it was already on the ship in my luggage, so no need to go back to hotel and search.

That only works when the device is turned on.

They tried to track it for me but could not. They said it was either off or someone wiped it clean and did a factory reset.

I hear what you're saying but Princess will not and cannot "protect" your belongings. The passenger contract states as much. Having travel insurance is key here.

Bad choice of words for me. They are obligated to provide a "safe environment" and of course I know they are not liable.

They wouldn't be in business very long if things like this happened routinely.

And I will repeat your statement, "having travel insurance is key here"

How horrible. My sympathies to the op.

Any travel lodging needs to be suspect. We were staying at a five star hotel in England and came back to find our door open, no housekeeping nearby.

I understand the tendency to want to blame the cabin steward. However, as multiple posters have noted, cabin doors are often propped open. The consequences for theft as a crew member as severe. With respect, a watch and an ipad don't seem to merit enough return, for a crew member to risk getting black balled by the industry and no longer able to support family members through employment.

The security camera comment puzzled me. I didn't think the ship was required to show passengers the camera footage nor would they want to discuss security concerns (ie placement) with passengers, only law enforcement. There is no "proof" the goods were stolen, though of course I believe the op. The whole response seems odd.

Please do not think that this port is safe and that port is not safe. Theft has happened everywhere and personally I have had more stolen at work and in my home area than when traveling. The hardest situation we had was in Antwerp Austria (does not sound like "one "of those ports!) 20 people from the ship on Easter Sunday. Very few others waiting for the train --when a train came into the station and people were just standing people watching. A person got off the train and walked to center close to the group we were standing with. Seconds and the person grabbed 21 inch bags (2) one in each hand and merged into the crowd seamlessly. Think about what you are carrying in carry on luggage -- Your Good Stuff -- so even having your hand on the bag a thief can get your stuff. That's why I don't want bags that can't break away -- don't knock me down and hurt me or drag me. Just have to hope that don't get unlucky often and that the material goods can be replaced.

This is Holy Week and you know who was on either side of Jesus according to The Word . I bet thieves will be among us and I just try to make myself NOT the victim and to recover well if I am. I still choose to travel!

Please do not think that this port is safe and that port is not safe.

I never posted about the safety of any port and am well capable of making my own decisions as to my personal safety.

Just be aware of your surroundings as you would be in any situation and carry travel insurance.

I will not stop traveling nor will I lock everything up each time I leave the cabin. I had just as soon stay at home.

Please do not think that this port is safe and that port is not safe. Theft has happened everywhere and personally I have had more stolen at work and in my home area than when traveling. The hardest situation we had was in Antwerp Austria (does not sound like "one "of those ports!) 20 people from the ship on Easter Sunday. Very few others waiting for the train --when a train came into the station and people were just standing people watching. A person got off the train and walked to center close to the group we were standing with. Seconds and the person grabbed 21 inch bags (2) one in each hand and merged into the crowd seamlessly. Think about what you are carrying in carry on luggage -- Your Good Stuff -- so even having your hand on the bag a thief can get your stuff. That's why I don't want bags that can't break away -- don't knock me down and hurt me or drag me. Just have to hope that don't get unlucky often and that the material goods can be replaced.

This is Holy Week and you know who was on either side of Jesus according to The Word . I bet thieves will be among us and I just try to make myself NOT the victim and to recover well if I am. I still choose to travel!

Antwerp is in Belgium, not in Austria. Austria is land locked and hence have no cruise port.

Theo

Sent from my GT-P7510

My sympathies to the OP - it sucks.

On cruises (and our hotel in Paris) we lock our wallets in the safe, and I put my purse, with not much in it, into a drawer.

In general, and this applies to hotels too, we never leave electronics in sight. I tend to think that the problem isn't the steward/maid, because they'd be the first suspected and, as others have said, the consequences are severe. However, doors are left open for cleaning and the attendant can be in the bathroom or balcony and someone could opportunistically take something. So before we leave the room, everything goes into a drawer.

We had a my MacBook stolen in a car break-in. On the way home, I locked it from my phone, and if it was ever booted a banner would come up that says "STOLEN". I monitored it for a few months, and it was never booted. (Amazon bricked my kindle for me).

And I just checked, it's over a year ago and it's still never been connected to the internet. Police think it was stripped for parts.