SID1962

Rome Cabs

Folks,

Being the worry wart I am, I thought I would ask the following question.

We are on the 4/26 TA on Reflection. We made a reservation with Rome Cabs from the port to our hotel in Rome.

We clicked on the confirmation link. We have all the information and confirmation number.

Still worry. Why? I don't know how to confirm the reservation. It says once you have clicked the link you don't need to, but.......

So I am asking if anyone else has used them from the port to Rome (hotel or airport), and if you confirmed the reservation. If so, how? Did you call? I just want to feel more comfortable that my wife and I won't be left at the pier with no ride.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

Do you know the cost of the trip ? As from the port of Civitavecchia to Rome is about an hour away, which could be expensive

The price of a hired car is about the same as 2 on the celebrity transfer bus...and the car leaves when you are there. It's the only way to go IMHO.

We actually arranged it through the concierge on the ship....it was a late thought.

PSU,

Thank you. I have no idea why I missed that. I did email them.

Tony O,

The cost for my wife and I, 4 large suitcases and 2 carry ons, from the port to our hotel in Rome is 130 Euros. It is cash only, payable when you arrive at your destination. Figure a tip and you are looking at 150 Euros give or take.

Expensive? Probably, but they have gotten good reviews here at Cruise Critic, and I would rather spend a bit more and be sure. We are both in out late 60's with minor locomotion issues, so schlepping our luggage any distance is not something we would do if we can aviod it at all.

But since we plan on winning the final Bingo and hitting the slots for a large amount, should not be a problem :-D

Thanks again,

Sid1962

SID 1962

I would do the same lots less stress.

I was just asking because sometimes the company forgets to tell you the cost.

Enjoy!

Sid1962,

You can also pay in advance with a credit card via Paypal. Hope this helps.

Dave

Folks,

Thanks for all the information. As usual, this board comes through.

10 days and a wake up and we leave for Miami.

Thanks again,

Sid1962

We've used Stefano at least 6 times with no issues whatsoever.

Don't agg over it.

We used the services of Rome Cabs 3 times last summer on our Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection.

From the airport to our Rome hotel, from our hotel to the port, and again from the port to the airport.

Different drivers each time. They were always on time. Nice vehicles, very clean. Friendly drivers.

Can’t recommend them enough, it was well worth the money not having to worry about transportation.

:)

Folks,

Being the worry wart I am, I thought I would ask the following question.

We are on the 4/26 TA on Reflection. We made a reservation with Rome Cabs from the port to our hotel in Rome.

We clicked on the confirmation link. We have all the information and confirmation number.

Still worry. Why? I don't know how to confirm the reservation. It says once you have clicked the link you don't need to, but.......

So I am asking if anyone else has used them from the port to Rome (hotel or airport), and if you confirmed the reservation. If so, how? Did you call? I just want to feel more comfortable that my wife and I won't be left at the pier with no ride.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

I always email everyone I am using in Europe several days prior to our home departure.

I remind them I will not have Internet access for awhile so this is a final reconfirmation and that I will see them at the prearranged day and time

Never an issue and they always respond promptly

We used RomeCabs for the first time (Civitavecchia to FCO) based on the many positive recommendations here on CC. Very happy we did. Prompt, excellent service. Would definitely book with them should we be in Rome in the future.

Just to be on the safe side since we were travelling with them at the end of our trip, I did send them an email before we left confirming everything. They replied back promptly.

Perfect, stress-free ending to our trip.

PSU,

Thank you. I have no idea why I missed that. I did email them.

Tony O,

The cost for my wife and I, 4 large suitcases and 2 carry ons, from the port to our hotel in Rome is 130 Euros. It is cash only, payable when you arrive at your destination. Figure a tip and you are looking at 150 Euros give or take.

Expensive? Probably, but they have gotten good reviews here at Cruise Critic, and I would rather spend a bit more and be sure. We are both in out late 60's with minor locomotion issues, so schlepping our luggage any distance is not something we would do if we can aviod it at all.

But since we plan on winning the final Bingo and hitting the slots for a large amount, should not be a problem :-D

Thanks again,

Sid1962

Hmmm. I was wondering how much to tip. We'll be using RomeCabs next month to go from our hotel near the Pantheon to FCO. Fixed rate is 50 Euros. Not a lot of baggage. I was guessing 5 Euros? But, maybe 10 Euros?

Edited by Ron98GT

Do you know the cost of the trip ? As from the port of Civitavecchia to Rome is about an hour away, which could be expensive

RomeCabs has fixed rates, which you can get from their web site.

http://www.romecabs.com/transferservice/civitavecchia/

Civitavecchia to/from Rome, 130 Euro each way.

Rome to/from FCO (airport), 50 Euro each way.

Edited by Ron98GT

I know you already took your trip, but for others on their first trip using Rome Cabs - that is a really, really high tip. Of course, you may tip as you please but it's really not necessary to tip a cab driver in Italy such a large amount.

I know you already took your trip, but for others on their first trip using Rome Cabs - that is a really, really high tip. Of course, you may tip as you please but it's really not necessary to tip a cab driver in Italy such a large amount.

It is also not necessary for 2 people to be traveling with 6 pieces of luggage

It sounds like they do it up big and that accounts for the 20 e tip

8 to 10 e would have been sufficient maybe even too much

But those guys from Rome cabs are so prompt and cordial and concerned that it is easy to tip them by American standards

Hmmm. I was wondering how much to tip. We'll be using RomeCabs next month to go from our hotel near the Pantheon to FCO. Fixed rate is 50 Euros. Not a lot of baggage. I was guessing 5 Euros? But, maybe 10 Euros?

Rome cabs is very efficient. 5 is good. I need a van so it is more per head for us and I have given 8 for the hotel fco trip

I even had Rome cabs take us from our hotel in the piazza del popolo area to termini station

We needed to be there at 8 830 am which if you have ever taken the rome metro at that time you will understand how crazy it is for a family of 6 to consider doing at that time with luggage!!! Lol

The lovely female driver picked us up early handled all our luggage and then delivered us right to the train track

She walked us into the station!! Made sure we were where we should be and made sure there were not any last minute schedule changes

We paid for this luxury but trust me we were not going to get on the metro with luggage at 8 am. Sardines!!!!! Incredible packed to the gills. Scary!!

Edited by Crusin6

Also wanted to mention that their rate depends on the number of persons. We are a party of 4 and our rate from Civitavecchia to Rome is 150.00 euro.

We have used them in past and will again this June. They were excellent.

We just returned from Rome a few days ago ... this was the 4th time we used RomeCabs and the 4th time we have been more than satisfied. They are prompt & courteous, the vehicles are clean & you are able to specify what you need.

We were on a 35 day cruise that started in Bangkok, when we were about a week out from Rome I sent RomeCabs an email just to check in, and heard back promptly. No worries.

I've added some color below, just to put in my two cents worth ...

Of course, you may tip as you please but it's really not necessary to tip a cab driver in Italy such a large amount.

Tipping is personal ... for that much luggage and such good service, we would (and did!) tip 10 euros.

It is also not necessary for 2 people to be traveling with 6 pieces of luggage

You have no way of knowing what is a "necessary" amount of luggage for these 2 particular people. Mr Chew & I had four large pieces of luggage and four carry-ons of various sizes & types for our 41-day trip. Others on our cruise had more, some had less. We all had what we thought was necessary.

We just returned from Rome a few days ago ... this was the 4th time we used RomeCabs and the 4th time we have been more than satisfied. They are prompt & courteous, the vehicles are clean & you are able to specify what you need.

We were on a 35 day cruise that started in Bangkok, when we were about a week out from Rome I sent RomeCabs an email just to check in, and heard back promptly. No worries.

I've added some color below, just to put in my two cents worth ...

Of course, you may tip as you please but it's really not necessary to tip a cab driver in Italy such a large amount.

Tipping is personal ... for that much luggage and such good service, we would (and did!) tip 10 euros.

You have no way of knowing what is a "necessary" amount of luggage for these 2 particular people. Mr Chew & I had four large pieces of luggage and four carry-ons of various sizes & types for our 41-day trip. Others on our cruise had more, some had less. We all had what we thought was necessary.

No big deal. Really. But the vast majority of cruisers do not bring that much stuff.

You are certainly in the minority if you compare to other cruisers. Maybe not on your ship but certainly a minority among the cruising public.

Edited by Crusin6

This is timely information as I've just been searching various Rome cab websites getting quotes. We are on a Med cruise this coming September. Would we be booking a cab (airport/hotel, hotel/port) too early if we booked this month? Concerned about company losing the reservation if we book too early.

[quote

No big deal. Really. But the vast majority of cruisers do not bring that much stuff.

You are certainly in the minority if you compare to other cruisers. Maybe not on your ship but certainly a minority among the cruising public.

If you've taken long cruises (over 21 days), you would know that some people bring huge amounts of luggage. On shorter cruises, obviously, not as much would be needed, but based on my personal observation, the majority of cruisers do bring excess luggage ... regardless of length of cruise

[quote

If you've taken long cruises (over 21 days), you would know that some people bring huge amounts of luggage. On shorter cruises, obviously, not as much would be needed, but based on my personal observation, the majority of cruisers do bring excess luggage ... regardless of length of cruise

Well yes I would agree with you that people bring more stuff on long cruises but that truly has something to do with the demographic that would take a 21 day cruise. Call it a generational divide thing. It doesn't make my opinion wrong though.

I am still at the point that 12 day cruises are my max time plus a week between pre and post.

However I and my family which includes 4 teens/ young adult females do it with 21 inch luggage and a tote. And we still feel we have too much stuff at times and btw we all look fabulous in our formal portraits on board.

But I can assure of one one thing though that if and when I do take a 21 day cruise I will maybe go up to a 25 inch piece of luggage and a tote. Tops!!

Black slacks and dressy tops work and can be worn numerous times as do capris and tops. One sweater in a neutral color works too

But regardless of my thinking versus yours the reality is that anyone who can be fortunate enough to do a 21 day cruise now would be probably 20 years my senior give or take and certainly have a different mindset

There is nothing wrong with that and should be expected.

However I assure you my mindset will not change and when I am ready for a 21 day cruise I will still be packing light

Again just a generational difference and a normal aspect of differing age brackets and demographics

However if you tell me you are under 40 it would surprise me you take so much stuff. Brad and Angelina notwithstanding. Lol.

Edited by Crusin6

Just a tip, the name "ROME CABS" is a misnomer. They are NOT an ordinary taxi cab. They are a private transfer company. There were 6 of us, the driver called the hotel the morning of pick-up to confirm pick-up time, arrived early with a brand new Mercedes Van.

Driver spoke limited English, but enough to get by and his concentration was on the road as it was pouring rain. While not licensed guides, they are certainly more than a taxi cab.

Hope the OP had a great trip!

Stefano and his crew are very reliable ..not to worry ..send a reminder a few days before

Crusin6, it's fine by me that you choose to travel light ... it's fine by me that others choose to travel less-than-light ... whatever and how much any individual chooses to pack is up to them and no one else ... and it shouldn't matter to anyone else ...

Getting back to the topic at hand ...

Rome Cabs is a truly wonderful company ... they also do private tours in & around Rome, and I believe in some other cities as well. I have not used them for this yet, but the next time we're in Italy we plan to set up some private tours with them. We still have a lot to see!

Also, you can request an English-speaking driver. I don't know if there is an extra charge for this.

Well just to be very clear lady chew as this is a thread about a car service the size of their vehicles and their costs not to mention their high level of efficiency

Rome cabs has different prices for their vehicles in addition to different prices for different length of rides

So if 2 people are traveling light then they could certainly just get a Mercedes sedan. Which is one price. Lower

So if 2 people are traveling with6 to 8 pieces if luggage you must tell rome cabs that fact and they will send a Mercedes can which will have space for the luggage. Although stefano is so efficient he will be sure to confirm the luggage amount

The price will be higher even if just 2 people

So the amount if luggage does matter especially when it is just 2 people

For a group of 3 or more Rome cabs will in most if not all cases suggest a van as the luggage will be the issue even though 3 adults and driver can certainly fit in a sedan the luggage might not

We just returned from a western Med cruise on the Epic. We used RomeCabs for our transfer and they were excellent. Our pick up time was 8:00 but he got there at 7:30 which was great because we were off the ship by 7:15 and thought we were going to have to stand outside waiting for 45 minutes.We were at the airport before 8:30. Could have taken an earlier flight if I had known there was not customs to go through.Another group of our friends used them for tours of Rome before the cruise and were really pleased. I booked back in February I think and didn't hear back from them again. But they were right there on time. The driver even called the office to make sure our group were going to the right terminal since one of us had a different flight. Our fee was $200 for eight people.

Just to reinforce others' reports, we have used Stefano's Romecabs twice for transfers from Civitavecchia port to Fiumicino airport, and will be doing so again next month. (As others have said, despite the name it's not a taxicab company.) The experience was flawless every time, with spotless Mercedes cars and uniformed, English-speaking drivers waiting for us literally at the foot of the gangplank. The price was competitive.

As to confirmations, their new automated email system does seem to leave one hanging, but I intend simply to send an email before we leave home, requesting re-confirmation. They have always responded promptly to every other email I've sent, so I have no worries on this.

We have used Romecabs 4 times in the past for Rome tours and are completely satisfied. All of the drivers were friendly, informative, timely and kept clean vehicles.

Our most recent cruise, we used them 3 more times. We booked transfer from FCO to our hotel in Rome and from the ship back to FCO. We also booked them for a short tour and transfer from our hotel to the ship. Once again, they did not disappoint.

I will use Romecabs every time I am in Rome and need transportation.

Dave

We recently use Rome Cabs (2nd time) and their service was outstanding! We were a group of 6 (with lots of luggage) and used their services from the airport to our hotel in Rome, hotel to Port, and port back to our hotel. They are reliable, on time, very professional and have very friendly drivers. Their vehicles are also very comfortable. We would certainly use them again with no concerns whatsoever and highly recommend them. All fees are preset and prepaid. We tipped them 15%. Very well deserved.

We recently used RomeCabs for a transfer from the Airport to our hotel. Our flight was six hours late but they were there waiting for us. Our driver was extremely friendly and courteous. We used them again a few days later for our transfer to the port from our hotel. We did a ride share with 6 others from the CC Board. They picked us up at different locations throughout Rome and dropped us all at the port. Easy easy easy. It was much more cost effective to share. So if you can find some folks on the board, I highly recommend this company.

If you are on the plane and the plane is delayed stefano will still have a driver waiting. He follows the flights of course

I always send him a text or email just confirming we are boarding our flight from the airport

I also send him one 48 hours prior to boarding in case there are any questions

Never a problem with Rome cabs

Just another resounding endorsement for ROME CABS. STEFANO and his excellent/friendly staff in (1) 2008 provided round-trip airport/hotel transfers, round-trip hotel/cruise terminal transfers, as well as guided tours in Rome for our group of 21 cruisers, (2) in 2009, 2010 and 2012 reliably provided friends/relatives with airport/hotel transfers, and (3) on June 19, 2014 provided timely round-trip cruise port/Rome transfer services. ROME CABS is the BEST.

Another thumbs up for Rome Cabs. We used them for four transfers for our June 23rd Med cruise: FCO to Rome; Rome to Port; Port to Rome; and Rome to FCO. All were great with the exception of one. Drivers prompt and cars clean. One detractor was our third transfer--Port to Rome. The driver was texting and driving! At times he was going 70 mph and texting. I of course reported it in my survey and would like to see how they handle this. I thought it was very dangerous to put passengers in harms way. The other three drivers were great.

Follow up. RomeCabs has a zero tolerance for texting and driving. I just received an email from Stefano. They terminated the driver and reported him to the police. He offered me a full refund. I declined because we used his service. I'm impressed with RomeCabs and Stefano. Highly recommend it!

Stefano is one classy gentleman. We have used him several times and we are at the point where we enjoy seeing him in Italy and consider Hom a friend

I am sure all his clients feel that way but it is just so special just knowing someone like stefano is there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships