Just booked Liberty sailing from Bayonne

Marci, like you, I am usually not restricted to traveling during peak times, but this cruise is a first family get together - my children and grandchildren had been patiently waiting since the first announcement of Quantum to be based in Bayonne for summer 2015 sailings. I couldn't bear to see the grandchildren's disappointment (Quantum was to be their first cruise) and make them wait until 2016 and hope that Anthem would be staying in Bayonne for that season, so I am paying the price for being a Grandma that keeps her promises; just wish it wasn't so expensive a price....lol.

Here is my experience:

GS 4 people July 12, 2014 sailing EX: $5500 with tax/port fees.

GS 4 people July 11, 2015 sailing Liberty: $9500 with tax/port fees.

4k increase. I do not think I will get 4k worth of increased value. I do not see how Royal is computing this. They're throwing darts at a board again.

ps The July 2015 would probably be $150 less as I didn't add my C&A discount. $9332 with discount.

Edited by marci22

Marci, like you, I am usually not restricted to traveling during peak times, but this cruise is a first family get together - my children and grandchildren had been patiently waiting since the first announcement of Quantum to be based in Bayonne for summer 2015 sailings. I couldn't bear to see the grandchildren's disappointment (Quantum was to be their first cruise) and make them wait until 2016 and hope that Anthem would be staying in Bayonne for that season, so I am paying the price for being a Grandma that keeps her promises; just wish it wasn't so expensive a price....lol.

I'm not criticizing your choice. I'm just venting lol. You're a nice grandma.

Here is my experience:

GS 4 people July 12, 2014 sailing EX: $5500 with tax/port fees.

GS 4 people July 11, 2015 sailing Liberty: $9500 with tax/port fees.

4k increase. I do not think I will get 4k worth of increased value. I do not see how Royal is computing this. They're throwing darts at a board again.

Yes, Marci, when I did my comparison,I didn't bother to look at 2014 prices just 2013. As I said earlier, the suite prices had jumped by $500. (JS) and up. Yes, in some cases it had doubled (RS) since 2013.

This is the exact reason why Quantum of the Seas is setting sail for China......You won't pay the prices now for Liberty, you surely won't pay the prices they want for Quantum.

That is why it's going to China where it will get those rates.

Jimbo:)

Good at those prices Quantum and Anthem should both sail to China.Maybe the Chinese will like the amusement parks of the seas.If i want to cruise i will look for a cruise ship,if i want an Amusement park i will go to one. :) :)

Explorer had premium pricing every single Summer she was in Bayonne no matter how old she got. On a per day basis, the prices were sometimes just as high as Oasis and Allure during the Summer. There is no doubt in my mind that the NY/NJ market will have been willing to pay a lot more for Quantum with it being a brand new ship. The differences between Explorer and Liberty are so minimal that it simply does not justify the significant increase in prices.

How long do you think people would willing to pay that high price for the Quantum.:)

I think the elephant in the room is the situation with the brand new cruise ship terminal that is supposed to open at Cape Liberty.

It should have broken ground last summer and been under construction by now and completed for Quantum's arrival in November.

There are a lot of political shenanigans going on that are gumming up the works. I think RCCL is hoping that the new pier will be completed by the time Anthem arrives.

Frankly, I would be thrilled to have a Voyager or Radiance Class ship sailing out of NJ/NY, prices are reasonable, the ships are elegant, there is plenty to do and there is still a traditional feel without dynamic dining, bumper cars and that scary looking mechanical arm teetering over the ocean.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I didn't think you were and thank you for the compliment. :)

p.s. Loved your "prom" comment!

Actually the prom comment was me. However, I too think you are a wonderful grandma keeping your promise. :)

How long do you think people would willing to pay that high price for the Quantum.:)

I think Quantum is quietly now the hottest ticket in town. There aren't many cabins available on any of it's itineraries. Everyone, especially long time C&A members, who pre-booked and have cabins on hold waiting for pricing to go down before final payment etc surely will now be keeping their cabins knowing Quantum will be gone (maybe for an extremely long time and likely greatly changed for the Asian demographic) with a 6 month window of opportunity to sail on her.

I for one never fathomed I would pay the price, however I had been researching solo pricing on the Serenade (12 day Med) and a simple N interior is over $4000 solo (over $3000 double occupancy). An interior solo on Brilliance (12 day Baltic) in Europe is $3500 solo ($3000 double). Chk out Asian itinerary prices also...

I just booked one of the last solo SI cabins on Quantum available on any of it's itineraries, 11 night Dec 1 for $1800. $4000 for interior double. Not any different than the Europe/Baltic/Asian prices. I think people will pay the price. I also believe more ships will be moved away from North America into the Asian & Oz markets as RCL can earn much more revenue than discounting fares 80% in the Caribbean with the billion other ships going to Cozumel and Nassau for the millionth time.

I don't think they're taking Quantum to China just for an experiment to bring her back in a year... she's gone for a very very long time imo. I suspect if you want to give her a shot, it has to be Nov 14-Apr 15 and that's it.

I won't be booking Liberty anytime soon. Those prices are crazy!! We did 5 nights on Liberty the end of November in a promenade cabin and paid less than $700 for everything including tips. And we even got $25 OBC from Royal. If prices don't come down we'll be booking Florida cruises. I met people on the ship that paid even less than us at the last minute and they had a balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with you that prices are outrageous for the Liberty, there really is no comparison between a November cruise and peak summer time cruises. Prices are night and day....unfortunately always were and always will be.:)

If I were an airline exec I'd be very excited reading this thread LOL. I'd probably send flowers to Adam Goldstein and whoever heads up the revenue department at RCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Good one!:D

Yep, that's what I say. Guess I'll be flying from NJ to Florida to cruise.

Wouldn't paying airfare to Florida make the cruise more expensive than cruising out of New Jersey?

When flying to a distant port, one must consider flying down the day before to guard against flight delay or cancellations. That can lead to hotel bills, as well.

That happened to us last year. The second leg of our flight to Tampa was cancelled, and the replacement flight got us into Tampa at night. If we were flying in the same day, we would haave missed the ship. Thank goodness that we went early.

This year we cruised out of Bayonne on the Explorer. We came by Amtrak from Boston---no flying, but came in one day early.

While I agree with you that prices are outrageous for the Liberty, there really is no comparison between a November cruise and peak summer time cruises. Prices are night and day....unfortunately always were and always will be.:)!:D

I compared the rates we paid for a balcony, 1 year in advance for Explorer May 2013 9 night, to the same cruise next year on Liberty. It's just a little higher, what I would expect with normal 2 year price difference.

They were not any more outrageous to what cruising out of NY area on RCI has always been in the past.

Also, you can't compare last minute pricing on any cruiseline to what's charged 1 year in advance. And for us it's always more expensive to cruise out of FL compared to cruising out of NY area when factoring in flights, in advance or last minute.

Just booked the 8/27/2015 9-night sailing to the Maritimes and New England. Yes, it is not rock bottom price but it is not outrageous either, especially when comparing to the current price on Explorer end of August sailing.

Wouldn't paying airfare to Florida make the cruise more expensive than cruising out of New Jersey? .

Amazingly, for a lot of the Liberty Summer '15 sailings the answer would actually be no! Crazy.

Unfortunately we can only cruise in the peak season. An August 2014 balcony on Explorer would cost $3650. The same cruise on Liberty would be $5500 almost 2k more. Our balcony on Allure this Summer was $2700 two nights shorter, but also a higher category.

If we were to sail on Adventure out of San Juan in August 2015 the price drops to $1700 for a balcony ($3800 difference) and we could get a Grand Suite for $3100. I realize the cruise is 2 nights shorter, but that is a drastic price difference leaving plenty of money for flights and a hotel. Unfortunately we have found that many times it is less costly to fly then sail out of Bayonne.

We do prefer the 9 night cruises by far, and were looking forward to sail from Bayonne in August 2015 for our 30th Anniversary, but $5500 is a joke.

I compared the rates we paid for a balcony, 1 year in advance for Explorer May 2013 9 night, to the same cruise next year on Liberty. It's just a little higher, what I would expect with normal 2 year price difference.

They were not any more outrageous to what cruising out of NY area on RCI has always been in the past.

Also, you can't compare last minute pricing on any cruiseline to what's charged 1 year in advance. And for us it's always more expensive to cruise out of FL compared to cruising out of NY area when factoring in flights, in advance or last minute.

I've read on here from a few others that May pricing was also steep....didn't personally check since May is really not an option for us now. I never compare last minute prices, when I get off my cruise I immediately am checking for my next one the following year.;) Every year I would check for Explorer for July or August since I do love the voyager class ships. The majority of times the prices for 3 passengers in a E1 would fall in the range of $4,800.00 - $5,100.00. When I checked for Liberty for the same time frame, it was $7,336.00 and that was for 8/13/15 so that means July is even more. $2,500.00 increase IMO, is just way out of line. The differences between the two classes are not much. I expected Quantum to be a little over $6,000.00 for the three of us in July and August but over seven grand for Liberty?? No thank you.:)

I'm checking out Summit for May, 2015 as an alternative to Liberty. 7 nights compared to 5, 3 days in Bermuda on Summit, 2 person rate starting @ 799.00 pp with 3rd person drastically reduced plus $100.00 OBC. Good accessible cabin choice available right now. I might just do both reservations and then let me Mom make the final decision regarding the 7 night itinerary. If she's up to it then I know I am. :)

I'm checking out Summit for May, 2015 as an alternative to Liberty. 7 nights compared to 5, 3 days in Bermuda on Summit, 2 person rate starting @ 799.00 pp with 3rd person drastically reduced plus $100.00 OBC. Good accessible cabin choice available right now. I might just do both reservations and then let me Mom make the final decision regarding the 7 night itinerary. If she's up to it then I know I am. :)

That's a very nice alternative if you're going mostly for Bermuda!

Yelp, after thinking about it some more I changed my mind and decided to bail given the price and the fact that I've already done this itinerary. Reserved on the May 23 Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan instead.

Bermuda is well worth the longer cruise. Our first cruise was a week long cruise to Bermuda with Celebrity. I, personally, don't think that a 5 night cruise gives you enough time in this beautiful country. It also tends to be very relaxing. With the extra time there you don't feel like you have to be doing something every minute in order to get everything in.