Are there individual thermostats in Allure cabins?

Zoey

On Allure in June and just read a review of a recent Allure cruise in which the reviewer talked about how warm the cabins (at least his/her cabin) and some other public spaces were. This reviewer even took along a small fan for the cabin. Are there not thermostats so you can control the temperature to your liking? I know I can NOT sleep if I get too hot, and I tend to get particularly hot while sleeping.

On Allure in June and just read a review of a recent Allure cruise in which the reviewer talked about how warm the cabins (at least his/her cabin) and some other public spaces were. This reviewer even took along a small fan for the cabin. Are there not thermostats so you can control the temperature to your liking? I know I can NOT sleep if I get too hot, and I tend to get particularly hot while sleeping.

Yes, there are thermostats in each stateroom. However, even with ours turned to maximum cooling, it was still too warm for my taste.

Edited by clarea

Yes, there are thermostats in each stateroom. However, even with ours turned to maximum cooling, it was still too warm for my taste.

Uh oh.......not good for some "women of a certain age!" :D

The A/C is created in large air handling rooms, with fans and coolers that handle all the cabins for each fire zone (the areas between those annoying doors in the passageways), or each public space. Generally, these will supply air at 18-20*C (64-68*F), but by the time it gets to your cabin, depending on location, it may be warmer, as the temperature is only measured right at the cooler. The settings for these air handlers are based on design characteristics, and an assumed heat load (both from outside air temp and the number of bodies in the space), and do not fluctuate with demand from individual cabins.

Individual cabins will have a thermostat, and this allows you some control of the temp in your cabin in one of two ways. I don't know the Allure's system, so I don't know which applies. One way is to control the damper for the A/C air inlet to your cabin, so at coolest setting, you are just allowing the max amount of air at the main supply temperature (64-68F), adjusting higher reduces the air flow. Another way is that there is a small cooler unit somewhere in your cabin (under the vanity is common), and the thermostat controls whether a fan starts or stops and recirculates cabin air over a chilled water cooler (typically 55-60*F). This system is more expensive to build, as you need not only a cooler in each cabin, but all the miles of additional chilled water piping, so many ships use the damper method.

It's not so much that the balcony door is unlocked, it is when the door is opened, the damper closes to stop the A/C air to the cabin. Many people want the ocean sound from their balcony door, and put up with the loss of A/C. This can create a wind tunnel effect with some disagreeable noise in the passageway if too many cabins have their balcony doors open, and this will affect the air flow through all the spaces in that area, with resultant loss of cooling effect.

...This can create a wind tunnel effect with some disagreeable noise in the passageway if too many cabins have their balcony doors open, and this will affect the air flow through all the spaces in that area, with resultant loss of cooling effect.

Now I understand why the ability to get our stateroom cool can vary so much cruise to cruise. If we have enough of our neighbors keeping their balcony doors open, it can reduce the effectiveness of the A/C. Thanks for the explanation.

FYI

Also on the Allure

Location of cabin could play a part in coolness of cabin at night.

We were in a crown loft overlooking the baksetball court and our room at night was nice and cool:D Maybe supply and demand in this area, since there are shorter hallways for these compared to the long ship hallways for other areas..............just a guess.

Sea Ya

I still think the AC turning off when the balcony door is open is a myth. On oasis we had the balcony door open for a little bit, maybe an hour but I felt up above the closet where the vents are and the AC was blowing cold the whole time. Now granted your in the Caribbean and the air temp outside is pretty warm. That's what causes the cabin the warm up. Who knows maybe our cabins unit was broken, but it was definitely still blowing cold air.

Our cabin on Allure was often too warm at night. We had our thermostat turned down to the lowest position. That did no good. We kept our balcony door closed and locked. That did no good. We kept our curtains closed in the day to keep out heat from the sun. That didn't do the trick.

We decided that our problem was the location of our room, very close to the main entrance to the Boardwalk. That part of the corridor always seemed to be warm and that must have impacted our room.

While I loved the convenience of our cabin's location, I would never book that cabin again. Also, this problem happened on a July Fourth cruise. While we are big, big fans of Allure and Oasis, we will book these ships only in winter months from now on. If for some reason we forget our strategy and are so tempted by Allure's charms as to book her in hot months, we will be very careful to choose a cabin that is not exposed to constant outdoors heat.

Edited by Gangway Style

FYI

Also on the Allure

Location of cabin could play a part in coolness of cabin at night.

We were in a crown loft overlooking the baksetball court and our room at night was nice and cool:D Maybe supply and demand in this area, since there are shorter hallways for these compared to the long ship hallways for other areas..............just a guess.

Interesting points.

We're on Oasis in June. I'm a little concerned about the a/c concerns, but then again, I'm from SW Florida and our a/c works overtime to keep our house at or below 80 degrees during the day. At night, we keep it at 76/77....so as long as the a/c is no warmer than that, we'll be comfortable enough.

We're on Oasis in June. I'm a little concerned about the a/c concerns, but then again, I'm from SW Florida and our a/c works overtime to keep our house at or below 80 degrees during the day. At night, we keep it at 76/77....so as long as the a/c is no warmer than that, we'll be comfortable enough.

I think you will be fine. I like the temp lower at night, hence my problem with the A/C.

This thread is interesting and especially the part about cabin location. When we were on Allure last month I usually found the cabin to be too cool and had to turn the thermostat up to at least the midway position between warm and cold. On one occasion we did have the balcony door open for awhile and the cabin became too humid and it took a while to get it comfortable again. We always kept the door closed after that.

I still think the AC turning off when the balcony door is open is a myth. On oasis we had the balcony door open for a little bit, maybe an hour but I felt up above the closet where the vents are and the AC was blowing cold the whole time. Now granted your in the Caribbean and the air temp outside is pretty warm. That's what causes the cabin the warm up. Who knows maybe our cabins unit was broken, but it was definitely still blowing cold air.

Not every ship has the A/C turn off with the balcony door, but most do. What you may have been feeling is that with the individual room cooler that I mentioned, the air vent is divided behind the grille into two ducts. One is the main A/C supply, and one is the recirculation cooler fan. Opening the balcony door will close off the main A/C air supply, but your individual cabin cooler will still run (set by the thermostat), and for a while will blow cool air, until the cabin temp rises too much.

The design heat load of most balcony cabins is considered to have the drapes drawn, so having the drapes open in the full sunshine will affect the ability of the A/C to cope.

Not every ship has the A/C turn off with the balcony door, but most do. What you may have been feeling is that with the individual room cooler that I mentioned, the air vent is divided behind the grille into two ducts. One is the main A/C supply, and one is the recirculation cooler fan. Opening the balcony door will close off the main A/C air supply, but your individual cabin cooler will still run (set by the thermostat), and for a while will blow cool air, until the cabin temp rises too much.

The design heat load of most balcony cabins is considered to have the drapes drawn, so having the drapes open in the full sunshine will affect the ability of the A/C to cope.

Someone should tell the designers that we don't spend extra money for windows and balconies just to close the drapes and block the view.

I found the cabins a bit warm, too, but luckily about 4 weeks before we cruised I happened to be in a "Dollar Store" and found a tiny table top fan, battery operated, about the size of a TV remote, with rubber blades, and brought it with me. It took care of any issues that I had. And all for a $1.00. It was on my bedside. On the counter when I was drying my hair. In the bathroom when I was putting on my makeup. Heck in the summer I may even bring it to the beach! Right now it's with me at the computer :p

This is my main worry about going on this ship. I live in Florida daytime I keep the ac on 73 and need to sleep at 71 (going through my changes) and if my cabin be warmer than that I won't be able to sleep comfortably and I just dread the thought of being hot at night. A fan would only give me noise in the room and blow warm air on me, I do hope my cabin be nice and cool....I just don't know what I do if its not.

I do not sleep with a lot of covers, I always as the cabin steward to get rid of that heavy "armor bedding" and just give me a blanket and a sheet.

Edited by lyndamr

This is my main worry about going on this ship. I live in Florida daytime I keep the ac on 73 and need to sleep at 71 (going through my changes) and if my cabin be warmer than that I won't be able to sleep comfortably and I just dread the thought of being hot at night. A fan would only give me noise in the room and blow warm air on me, I do hope my cabin be nice and cool....I just don't know what I do if its not.

I do not sleep with a lot of covers, I always as the cabin steward to get rid of that heavy "armor bedding" and just give me a blanket and a sheet.

Sleep in the mini frig :))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The A/C is created in large air handling rooms, with fans and coolers that handle all the cabins for each fire zone (the areas between those annoying doors in the passageways), or each public space. Generally, these will supply air at 18-20*C (64-68*F), but by the time it gets to your cabin, depending on location, it may be warmer, as the temperature is only measured right at the cooler. The settings for these air handlers are based on design characteristics, and an assumed heat load (both from outside air temp and the number of bodies in the space), and do not fluctuate with demand from individual cabins.

Individual cabins will have a thermostat, and this allows you some control of the temp in your cabin in one of two ways. I don't know the Allure's system, so I don't know which applies. One way is to control the damper for the A/C air inlet to your cabin, so at coolest setting, you are just allowing the max amount of air at the main supply temperature (64-68F), adjusting higher reduces the air flow. Another way is that there is a small cooler unit somewhere in your cabin (under the vanity is common), and the thermostat controls whether a fan starts or stops and recirculates cabin air over a chilled water cooler (typically 55-60*F). This system is more expensive to build, as you need not only a cooler in each cabin, but all the miles of additional chilled water piping, so many ships use the damper method.

It's not so much that the balcony door is unlocked, it is when the door is opened, the damper closes to stop the A/C air to the cabin. Many people want the ocean sound from their balcony door, and put up with the loss of A/C. This can create a wind tunnel effect with some disagreeable noise in the passageway if too many cabins have their balcony doors open, and this will affect the air flow through all the spaces in that area, with resultant loss of cooling effect.

I have always thought there was chilled water piping and each room had a fan coil unit with each room having a its own tstat but I could be wrong but thats what I been told onboard

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Just got off of the Allure last Sunday. I don't think our room was ever cool enough and it was early April! We kept the balcony door closed the whole time, the thermostat was set at its coolest setting and the curtains were drawn during the day. We have sailed LOTS of different ships and this one was by far the warmest of all. I would definitely bring a fan if you like it cool/cold at night while you sleep.

Just got off of the Allure last Sunday. I don't think our room was ever cool enough and it was early April! We kept the balcony door closed the whole time, the thermostat was set at its coolest setting and the curtains were drawn during the day. We have sailed LOTS of different ships and this one was by far the warmest of all. I would definitely bring a fan if you like it cool/cold at night while you sleep.

Exactly our experience.

Just got off ExOS last month and noticed that, like many hotel rooms, the room thermostats have a motion sensors on them. No movement in the room for an extended period of time automatically turns the A/C off to conserve energy. At night, just turning in bed is sufficient movement to keep the system on.

You can override the system, when out of the room, by taping a fluttering paper streamer/ribbon to the A/C fan vent.

Sometimes, actually quite often your way way way over the top with your responses, sorry. The question was are there thermostats in each individual room....:eek:...It was answered yes.

Sometimes, actually quite often your way way way over the top with your responses, sorry. The question was are there thermostats in each individual room....:eek:...It was answered yes.

Feel free to put me on "ignore". I knew that the question would generate comments that the thermostat didn't appear to do anything, or that the rooms were always too cold or too hot, so I give some background information to possibly forestall people going to guest services, or here after the cruise, to complain about something that there is nothing that can be done about.

Hope this wasn't too over the top.;)