Canada & new england cruise question

esper10

The weather should be warm and pleasant most of the time in September, of course it will be cooler on the open sea. But I think a balcony will be useful for the sail in and sail away times, and for admiring the scenery while the ship is still docked. The skyline of Boston is beautiful, Quebec is stunning, the little villages have a lovely coastline. Glad to hear you are keeping the balcony. We have sailed Summit, she is a lovely, smaller ship with a lot of character. I don't think you will be disappointed.

What side of the ship will dock in these places?

Last year we were there the weeks of Oct 5th and 12th and the leaves were just getting to their prime as it was a very warm fall. It all depends on the weather and when the colder weather hits. I would aim for late September or early October. Enjoy

I'll keep my October sailing date. ;)

Is the Summit an exact of the Constellation, or are there differences?

What side of the ship will dock in these places?

I'll keep my October sailing date. ;)

Is the Summit an exact of the Constellation, or are there differences?

You can never really tell which way the ship will dock. I know last time we were in Quebec City it was docked on the starboard side.

Constellation and Summit were exactly alike (except for colors and art work), not sure if there are differences now after they were both Solticized. But for the most part I think they are the same.

Edited by CruisingChick

Hi all

I booked a cruise to Canada and the New England for Sep. 2015....Can any one tell me if it is going to be cold to sit out?

We did this itinerary a few years ago. You don't say how early or late in Sept you are cruising and I can't recall our exact dates, but I'm pretty sure it was first week of Oct, so possibly only a week or two later than you're going. We left from Boston and it was beautiful there. Bar Harbor was nice, Portland chilly and rainy, one of Canadian ports (can't recall which of the two) was raining and freezing. We had scheduled a duck boat tour that day and I was wearing long johns, jeans, turtleneck, fleece, jacket, ear warmers, scarf and gloves and was still cold and miserable. We heard that 2 days later that same area was 70 degrees. Can't specifically recall the weather in the remaining port.

You can never really tell which way the ship will dock. I know last time we were in Quebec City it was docked on the starboard side.

Constellation and Summit were exactly alike (except for colors and art work), not sure if there are differences now after they were both Solticized. But for the most part I think they are the same.

That's the way it usually goes, but I thought that the port in Quebec City might be different. We normally try to book the starboard side for some reason. ;)

Lois, please keep me posted as we do this cruise every year. Have mostly done October but last year did September 7.

Would love to finally get to meet you.

P.S. We mostly do insides, one year we did do a balcony. Did not use it much at all.

That would be pretty awesome, after all these years:)......as for

the balcony? No way I will be getting one for this cruise.....just too

much $$$ for me. Do you prefer Sept or Oct?

The saying goes "In New England, if you don't like the weather just wait a minute." This is especially true for September.

September and October are my favorite months. Thinking of September gets me through August on Martha's Vineyard. The bulk of the crowds are gone. The water is warm. The weather is typically nice (unless you know there's a hurricane or something). The fishing is good. You may need a sweater layer when your out on the water. I would get a balcony.

Would an aft balcony be more suitable for this cruise? I am thinking if it is cool or cold the wind would not be as great plus you could also see both sides if needed.

🌅🚢🇺🇸

The saying goes "In New England, if you don't like the weather just wait a minute." This is especially true for September.

September and October are my favorite months. Thinking of September gets me through August on Martha's Vineyard. The bulk of the crowds are gone. The water is warm. The weather is typically nice (unless you know there's a hurricane or something). The fishing is good. You may need a sweater layer when your out on the water. I would get a balcony.

I wish the Summit would go to Martha's Vineyard. Always wanted to visit there! Lucky you! :)

I wish the Summit would go to Martha's Vineyard. Always wanted to visit there! Lucky you! :)

We did visit Martha's Vineyard back in 2001 on a New England/Canada cruise on the Regal Empress. We also cruised through the Cape Cod Canal on that sailing. I didn't even know Cape Cod had a canal. It was a great.

These are the kinds of things you miss with all these bigger and bigger ships.

This is something I have wondered about -- what would one see besides water? Are you talking about ports, or does one actually see coastline? I have wondered whether one can see autumn colors from aboard ship other than in port (not that I would sail in New England looking for autumn colors in Sept. -- too early.)

Plenty of lighthouses???

Hi all

I booked a cruise to Canada and the New England for Sep. 2015 We go with balcony most cruises and this one also we booked a balcony cabin. Because of the weather I'm not sure we will be able to use the balcony as we normally would. The difference in the price is over $1000.00 for the 2 of us. We never been to this area. Can any one tell me if it is going to be cold to sit out? I love it is in the balcony early morning or evening. Are we going to sail in areas were the view is nice to be outside? I don't want to waist my money on a balcony I will not be able to use. Thanks in advanced for all advices.

I haven't read through all of the reply posts, but no doubt you've received some great feedback.

We've been on two sailings of Canada and New England. Once in September and once in September - October. Early in September, the foliage is not as vibrant. Weather is hit / miss in September or October. On our Sept / Oct. cruise we were hit with the tail end of Hurricane Wilma and we had a bumpy ride. I think we had clear skies for 3 or 4 days out of 14? Lots of rain and ocean motion. In early to mid September, it rained only 3 or 4 days tops - Quebec and Bar Harbor I believe. If you book a balcony on the 9th deck, you will have more of an overhang. I think you will enjoy the balcony to some degree!

Have done this several times (I think 6) on 3 different lines. Have also driven from Valley Forge to Montreal and Quebec many times. Mostly in September. Last time drove all the way up to PIE. One of our best vacations ever.

Weather can range from hot to cold. Probably will be comfortable. Best bet is to have the option of several layers of clothing. There's a good chance you won't need the cold weather option.

By all means keep your balcony, especially if you haven't been there before.

Enjoy your cruise.

For years I sailed without any verandas. Ships did not have them. When verandas came along, I became one of those "always a veranda." Then my spouse booked us on a Windstar cruise. Windstar has only oceanview cabins with portholes. It was fabulous. After that, we got an exciting deal on an oceanview cabin. It was a great deal. Compared to a veranda, we saved $2000. Amazingly, we did not miss the veranda. When we wanted to sit outside, we took the elevator up and found a nice outside place to sit. We also discovered that deck 2 is very quiet. Book an oceanview, save the money, and enjoy your cruise.

[quote name='Redtravel']For years I sailed without any verandas. Ships did not have them. When verandas came along, I became one of those "always a veranda." Then my spouse booked us on a Windstar cruise. Windstar has only oceanview cabins with portholes. It was fabulous. After that, we got an exciting deal on an oceanview cabin. It was a great deal. Compared to a veranda, we saved $2000. Amazingly, we did not miss the veranda. When we wanted to sit outside, we took the elevator up and found a nice outside place to sit. We also discovered that deck 2 is very quiet. Book an oceanview, save the money, and enjoy your cruise.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Very interesting perspective! You have more flexibility in your thinking, I imagine, because you started out cruising without verandas because there were none. I think many of us who have only sailed with verandas would not nec. be so happy in an OV. I don't think I could (well, would) ever do it. I value the "private deck" (in the sense of "ours alone") aspect of my veranda too much to depend upon any public deck to provide what I would feel I was giving up. While cruising, my husband and I are pretty private -- that's the point, for us -- so we probably would not sail without a veranda to enjoy by ourselves.[/COLOR]

I am going on this trip in September. I normally get a balcony even though we seldom use it. For this trip, we took an ocean view - a savings of more than $1000 and used that money to book our shore excursions. With such a port intensive itinerary and the cooler temps, we did not feel that a balcony was necessary for us this time around.

[quote name='SeagoingMom'][COLOR=darkred]Very interesting perspective! You have more flexibility in your thinking, I imagine, because you started out cruising without verandas because there were none. I think many of us who have only sailed with verandas would not nec. be so happy in an OV. I don't think I could (well, would) ever do it. I value the "private deck" (in the sense of "ours alone") aspect of my veranda too much to depend upon any public deck to provide what I would feel I was giving up. While cruising, my husband and I are pretty private -- that's the point, for us -- so we probably would not sail without a veranda to enjoy by ourselves.[/COLOR][/quote]

When we first started cruising we used to take an ocean view. We used to say that it doesn't matter but once we had a problem with the door to our cabin and they moved us to a balcony as it was the cabin available and ever since than we only cruise in a balcony. We took Alaska cruise 3 time and all time we stayed in an ocean view as we know that it is to cold for us to sit in the balcony. Sure I'm thinking of taking an ocean view to save some money on this cruise because of the weather but nothing can be compared to a balcony.

Our 1st cruise was on Zenith in 1997 in an OV cabin. We did not cruise for a number of years after than but when we did we booked a balcony and after 11 cruises have never looked back. I like being outdoors whenever I can, even if it is cold out, and want at least a balcony cabin.

Mary Lou