Celebrity Cruises Unveils Modern Luxury Firsts Onboard Celebrity Equinox

Celebrity Cruises

And we will be waiting to 'see' :D what you think!

Just what will this be; "creative cocktails and elevated bar snacks"

I thought that was what the Molecular Mixology was.

Could it be that the elevated bar snacks are to be consumed while on high bar stools?

I like the ideas of the new venues, but don't care for the names at all. Both have a very negative connotation to me...."Gastro" is most always used around here as a short form for "gastroenteritis" and "slush" is that yucky brown stuff you get on the roads when the snow starts to melt.

Has no one ever heard of Gastropubs? This is not all that new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub

Oh, I am well aware that gastropub is a British term, and that it has been around for some time. Didn't like it when I first saw it in Britain, either. Look up almost any other word that starts with "gastro", or "gastro" itself, and almost all definitions are very icky.

I am not into craft beers, but I do understand the current interest in such beverages.

I am one who really enjoyed Cellar Masters. On a ship whose lounges were often very crowded at Happy Hour times, one could always find a seat with pleasant guests and enjoy a fine glass...or two...or three of wine.

Oh, I am well aware that gastropub is a British term, and that it has been around for some time. Didn't like it when I first saw it in Britain, either. Look up almost any other word that starts with "gastro", or "gastro" itself, and almost all definitions are very icky.

"Gastronomy is the study of food and culture, with a particular focus on gourmet cuisine. One who is well versed in gastronomy is called a gastronome, while a gastronomist is one who unites theory and practice in the study of gastronomy.[1]"

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am not into craft beers, but I do understand the current interest in such beverages.

I am one who really enjoyed Cellar Masters. On a ship whose lounges were often very crowded at Happy Hour times, one could always find a seat with pleasant guests and enjoy a fine glass...or two...or three of wine.

Hi Rkacruiser,

Your above comment in bold, is exactly the reason why Celebrity is making the change - on Equinox, for now. Cellar Masters looks great, but it's empty most of the time. I'm sure it's failure has to do with those ridiculous wine dispensers. From Day 1, I've said they would never be accepted with Celebrity's guests, and that prediction proved to be spot on. If only Celebrity made adjustments sooner, I highly doubt we'd be looking at a Gastropub press release today.

No matter what happens, based on Cellar Masters lack of demand (Except on Eclipse, where Perry packs them in during evening hours), it would seem that Celebrity has nowhere to go but up with the new concept. Whether they will be a success ? time will tell - but I think the photo studio concept may be a bust, and certainly doesnt bode well for the Hot Glass Show's future.

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Celebrity for the information I really like the sound of these new venues. After so much negativity on this board lets hope good news cheers everyone up.

Such a shame we lost our original btb on the Equinox this summer as one week was chartered out and it's the only Celebrity S class we have not travelled on. I am now envious of all people lucky enough to be sailing on her. I just love frozen drinks and beer.

We are on the Eclipse instead. Am I right in thinking these venues will only be added as ships go into dry dock.

Nothing terrible in the announcement but nothing that wows me

Term reminds me of "gastropod" a class of mollusks that inludes slugs and snails

But it will take some of the load off the martini bar and ensemble lounge and passport bar areas, so that's a plus.. we might stop in if it is not a loud place that smells like beer

surprised there are no changes to the molecular bar....

Michael kors is a plus... I always look for that store early in the cruise.

BUT the overall trend is that more spaces are devoted to spending extra.....and our AQ staterooms do not come at bargain price points..glad enjoyment of the sea and stars does not require a premium package !

all inclusive resorts are starting to look more competitive price wise..

Edited by hcat

Gastropub and Slush sound great!

Other than molecular bar it was difficult to find a drink with fresh juices on the ship. I don't like sugary syrups and artificial stuff! I am so happy this will be offered by the pool now. Good job Celeb!

And for the Gastropub, I will have to see the menu but if it is anything like Michael's Genuine on Quantum (love this Miami-based restaurant!!) I will be very very happy! Let's hope the Gastropub will be open in the late afternoon so I can stop here for a snack rahter than getting a slice or very average pizza or very basic cheese from the Oceanview. I am totally fine spending $5 on a snack if it is better than average fare.

Anyone know when the new menus will be available?

And Celeb, again, thanks for listening. I would also like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for removing Zumba from the pool area. It is difficult enough to get a lounger in this area with the crowds and Zumba did not help the matter. Looking forward to my next cruise on Reflection in January!

THANKS!

Edited by jenniebnyc
typo

Ooooohh, so exciting.

We will be taking our first Celebrity Cruise on Equinox on 8th May from Barcelona.

Not too sure about the Gastro Bar, not a beer drinker and the name is off-putting, but Slush , is much more appealing.

I LOVE cocktails, so I might just have to work my way through the cocktail list, purely for research purposes , of course! :D :D

Looking forward to trying the new venue. DH likes a good brew. Would be better if it was draught beer. It sounds like it could be a fun place. Time will tell. Cellar Masters was always empty when we looked in. IMHO it was a waste of space. We are also on the Equinox TA.

Looking forward to trying the new venue. DH likes a good brew. Would be better if it was draught beer. It sounds like it could be a fun place. Time will tell. Cellar Masters was always empty when we looked in. IMHO it was a waste of space. We are also on the Equinox TA.

Look forward to seeing you onboard!

This is a nice idea, but intentionally calling something a "gastro bar" on a cruise ship is absolutely hilarious, land-based definition notwithstanding. With all the talk of norovirus on cruiseships, a Gastrobar sounds like the invention of SNL writers more than the name of an upscale sea pub experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gastro pubs started in London about 25 years ago. They serve beer and better than average pub food. There are many gastro pubs in NY. Sounds like that's where the name comes from.

I'm sure that it is, but the word "gastro" may send a different subliminal message on a ship than it does on the streets of London or New York. :p

I think if I was in the focus group, I might have voted for another, more inviting name. I just don't care for the name Gastrobar. I doubt that the name will stop many people from going there, though.

How long do you guys think it will take to update the other ships? The Gastropub sounds good (I'm iffy about the name, though) and I'd like to try it but our next two cruise will be the Summit and Silhouette.

I agree. I will like to know when the other ships will get the new venues!!:) BTW, Thanks Celebrity for the information.

I'm looking forward to it! The initial post said the beers would be added to the wine collection and cocktail collection. So I am hoping this means the wines will still be available along with the beers. As far as cocktails are concerned, we didn't use Cellar Masters enough to remember if they already have cocktails in there. We liked the venue, but it was always a bit too quiet and we got wooed away by the Martini Bar!:D If they add some good small plates and it is a little livelier, it will definitely be a place we will utilize even with small ala carte prices for the food. I just hope they keep an excellent wine menu along with the great beers for a good variety. I can do without any large screen sports. That will take away from the ambience, particularly for the evenings.

The name is off putting but as long as they still have wine and it is not a sports bar with big screen TV's it should be OK. I do feel Celebrity is starting to nickel and dime the passengers when they start to charge for snacks.

Mary Lou