Celebrity passenger dies

islegroove

I reckon if my husband had died I wouldn't be caring about any laws telling me I had to stay and finish the cruise if I didn't want to. I don't see that as a blatant violation.

I'd also be a little perturbed about privacy if people started waving to me from a higher deck. Isn't visibility from other staterooms the cause of much discussion here with regards to privacy?

Yes, but under the new CC rules, you can only haunt Michael's Club if you're Zenith (or sailing in a luxury suite) at the time of your demise! :p

thanks for the laugh!

from what I have heard that due to the privacy law Celebrity will not reveal any info. It also doesn't make any sense for them to reveal or broadcast any deaths.

We have found out a few times from other passengers that had first hand knowledge such as friends, on the tour with them or close to their cabin. We found out one time from our cabin attendant because we asked about a ambulance that we saw at a port and he said he knew because he had their cabin, otherwise he said that he wouldn't have any info.

I wonder if someone dies on board if a autopsy is automatic and if they do a crime scene investigation.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The way to avoid death or dying on a cruise is don' t cruise.

The other way to improve the risk of not dying on a cruise is to sail after you are 100 years old because it is a proven fact that the amount of people that die over 100 is very low.

Just my words of wisdom that don't amount to much.

Yep, statistics don't lie.:rolleyes:;):)

We were in an aft cabin, right above the PH. My thinking was that if I saw someone on the balcony, I'd call down to them to strike up a friendly conversation and maybe wangle us an invitation to come visit my new friends in the PH.

First morning in St. Croix, I went out and saw a gaggle of people sitting around the table under the umbrella, many of them X staff. Boy, they really go all out to welcome the PH guests, I thought. Shortly, they were joined by a man in a USVI Police t-shirt. Possibly they had a robbery? DW woke up and we went to breakfast.

After breakfast, I came back onto the balcony and saw an older woman, just gazing out at the sea, though we were in port. Still trying to be friendly, I called out, "Good morning! Are you enjoying the cruise so far?" "Not so much," she replied. "My husband died last night."

:eek::eek::eek:

After thinking about it, if you gotta go, that's a good way. Too bad it wasn't at the end of the cruise.

I was told it's common for someone to pass away on the first night-- all excited about going on a cruise. The wife, as far as I know, disembarked in USVI (in blatant violation of the PVSA, we started from San Juan) and that PH remained vacant for the rest of the cruise.

Wow!!! That's crazy and when I go, I will be OK with it being on a cruise ship. In fact, my plan is after 80 I will begin sailing nothing but Holland America Line for two reasons:

1. They have some really long cruises (better chances).

2. Holland America is nothing but God's waiting room.

I I'd also be a little perturbed about privacy if people started waving to me from a higher deck. Isn't visibility from other staterooms the cause of much discussion here with regards to privacy?

Steve was only being friendly.;) I'd rather someone speak to me from above rather than looking at me without my knowing they were up above.

Wow!!! That's crazy and when I go, I will be OK with it being on a cruise ship. In fact, my plan is after 80 I will begin sailing nothing but Holland America Line for two reasons:

1. They have some really long cruises (better chances).

2. Holland America is nothing but God's waiting room.

Like Carnival, HAL gets an unjust bad wrap. I have been on 3 HAL cruises and all have had a nice mix of passenger ages. Of course, the longer the cruise on any line, the older the crowd. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

Steve was only being friendly.;) I'd rather someone speak to me from above rather than looking at me without my knowing they were up above.:

I don't know Steve but this is what I reacted to in terms of being "friendly":

"and maybe wangle us an invitation to come visit my new friends in the PH."

Maybe I value my sense of privacy too much but I don't really need to engage with others while I'm on my own balcony. I know they are there next to me (or above) but that's all I need to know. They aren't public areas.

Edited by Pushka

I don't know Steve but this is what I reacted to in terms of being "friendly":

"and maybe wangle us an invitation to come visit my new friends in the PH."

Maybe I value my sense of privacy too much but I don't really need to engage with others while I'm on my own balcony. I know they are there next to me (or above) but that's all I need to know. They aren't public areas.

It takes all kinds to make the cruise ships go round. Personally, I enjoy being around friendly people and have made many new friends on cruises by speaking to strangers. If I were going through a crisis such as the one Steve described, I would welcome a friendly hello.

We were on a 21-day transatlantic on HAL once when a man died far away from any port. His wife chose to resume dining with her table mates after a day or two, rather than mourn alone in her room.
Yikes, talk about awkward! I hope they at least changed the number of settings/seats at the table. Edited by gordiej

It takes all kinds to make the cruise ships go round. Personally, I enjoy being around friendly people and have made many new friends on cruises by speaking to strangers. If I were going through a crisis such as the one Steve described, I would welcome a friendly hello.

I like to make friends too on cruises. In public areas. Just not while I'm on my balcony. ;)

As far as being in a crisis situation, that isn't really relevant here. They didn't know there was a crisis going on when they wanted to say hello. It sounded more like making friends to get the possibility of being invited into the PH.

I used to work on a ship that generally had an older demographic (longer itineraries). It was a rare voyage when a passenger didn't die.

Hi Katie ....just hijacking this thread to say hi.

My first cruise, there were several people that died and were housed in the morgue -- that was on Carnival back in ...well, at least 30 years ago.

Hi Katie ....just hijacking this thread to say hi.

My first cruise, there were several people that died and were housed in the morgue -- that was on Carnival back in ...well, at least 30 years ago.

Hi Lisa! Yes, I don't think most passengers are aware how regularly morgues are used on cruises ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the same leg of the WC as Pushka and we were lucky enough to do the back of house tour which included the medical centre (and morgue). At that time, the ship's doctor said the ice boxes were not turned on, so there was no-one deceased on board when we saw them. Not sure about later in the cruise; there were some quite elderly passengers!

from what I have heard that due to the privacy law Celebrity will not reveal any info. It also doesn't make any sense for them to reveal or broadcast any

I wonder if someone dies on board if a autopsy is automatic and if they do a crime scene investigation.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

My DH and I were on two segments of a Crystal World Cruise, and a woman passed away three days into the segment from LA to Hong Kong. The first stop was Honululu, and once we docked, no one was allowed off the ship until the 5-0 medical examiner came on board, along witha number of police to question everyone who would be associated with the incident, from the medical staff, cabin stewardess and captain. It took about two hours before they removed the body from the ship.

I second the note about having insurance.

Memory is a little fuzzy here, from the mid-1950's. I was around 9 or 10. My mother had friends (2 sisters in their late 40's) who were on a trans Atlantic passage from Europe to the US. Probably going into NYC.

One of them unexpectedly died shortly after leaving Europe. There were no helicopters to remove a body from the ships in those days - and if there was insurance, it wasn't nearly as comprehensive as it is now.

Besides being startled about the news, I clearly remember her saying what an hassle & expensive proposition it had been to get Mary "home" to the family cemetery plot in mid-Connecticut. The shipping line charged something for body storage (guess the paid passage wasn't enough :rolleyes:).

Then when the body was unloaded in NYC, some government/medical examiner people had a procedure ($$) to go through. A funeral home from their home area charged much $$ to come get the body and return to Conn. Then the normal service & burial costs. The remaining brother & sister were distraught over the event of course, and the extra costs didn't help. If they had lived in the mid-west, they probably would have had to fly the body back home.

It sounds like at least Celebrity is a little more understanding of the trauma involved than the lines were 60 yrs ago.

With so much genealogy info now on the web, we looked this woman's name up and there it was - she had died on the ship.

I'd also be a little perturbed about privacy if people started waving to me from a higher deck. Isn't visibility from other staterooms the cause of much discussion here with regards to privacy?

Big difference between peeking around the partition between your neighbor's veranda and being out in the open, in full view, on the balcony of a PH. I would not have even attempted polite conversation if I was on Deck 8, but was on Deck 7 with the PH on Deck 6. I didn't have to wave or even raise my voice. And I have had PH residents call up to me while I've been out on the balcony-- never felt like they were being intrusive.

I would not have said anything like, "Do you mind if we come down and visit you? I always wanted to see what the PH was like." If, as a result of friendly conversation between neighbors, they had said, "Would you care to join us?" that would have been appreciated, but it's more difficult to make a friend without saying hello first. And if they had no interest in inviting us down or even conversing, that would have been the end of it. It's not like I had any interest in badgering them, and I wouldn't think a comment like "Enjoying the cruise?" would be considered overly intrusive.

BTW, I did offer my sympathies and asked if there was anything we could possibly do to help. She thanked me for the offer, but said everything that could be done had been done. I then left her to her thoughts.