1:30 flight in on the day of

I agree with the above post there should be not problem .If you are landing at FLL take SAS transportation to POM there're fast and you should be on the ship by 3:00

You cannot be serious.

If there is just the SLIGHTEST delay, whether it's the weather, or mechanical, they are going to miss the ship.

However, if the air is booked through Carnival and there's a delay, I have heard they will hold the ship, for a reasonable amount of time.

We usually fly in the day of, however, we take a 6am flight, and land at 8:30. At least there's a little wiggle room.

This year I convinced DH to spend the 4th of July in Miami.:D:D

So we are in one day early.

One just NEVER knows what COULD happen.:eek::rolleyes:

Good Luck, OP, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm a fly in the day of type of girl but would never take a flight later than 6 am. 1:30 pm is beyond pushing it.

You'll be a "fly in the day of type of girl" until you get burnt.

I'm an airline pilot and, for example, a few days ago, I operated a first morning flight (5:50am). I powered up the airplane to perform my preflight duties and that's when I discovered a computer problem. We had a serious fault with the avionics. Guess what? We canceled. And to make things worse, the agents were unable to re-accommodate all the passengers since all the other flights were full.

People dont understand the gamble they take by flying on the day of the cruise, specially out of airports where that airline doesn't have a hub. That means that there's most likely only ONE crew and ONE airplane available at that forsaken hour of the morning to operate your flight, and maintenance available may be a contract mechanic with no spare parts and who can only perform a limited amount of repairs.

If the general public understood all the "behind the scenes", and all the variables and people that need to perform flawlessly to get an airplane off the ground on time, they would NEVER be a "fly in the day of" kind of people.

Edited by Tapi

My first cruise my sister and I both flew into FLL the day of a cruise leaving POM! Just have to say we were extremely lucky it all worked out... My sister flew from Denver (yup, two time zones) and I flew from Wichita (1 time zone). She had a direct flight into FLL. Both of our flights were on time (I arrived at 11:45 AM and my sister about 20 minutes later) and we had earlier booked transfer with a private car service company (now remember, it was our first cruise so didn't know about shuttle services like SAS. Didn't even know about CC back then :rolleyes:).

So... luckily everything went well with that travel/cruise. For our second cruise we decided to fly in the day before and now feel we would never fly in the day of the cruise again. The only thing we will change for the next cruise is regardless of if we fly in to FLL or MIA, we will stay in MIA the night before the cruise. Last cruise we flew into and stayed in FLL, then used SAS shuttle service to go from FLL hotel to POM. That too worked out OK, but think it will be better to spend the night in MIA since our cruise is out of POM.

One last item, I would like to thank everyone here on CC for their vast array of information they share! :)

I agree with the above post there should be not problem .If you are landing at FLL take SAS transportation to POM there're fast and you should be on the ship by 3:00

Tapi put the roll-eyes up with that post - was being sarcastic. And I don't care what car service you use - you can't predict the traffic going from FLL to MIA. My dh was supposed to come down to meet me in FLL (condo there) on April 16th. It SNOWED and iced that night , and his 8 a.m. Jetblue flight (and many others) were cancelled. They put him on a connecting flight THE NEXT DAY as all other JB flights were booked. (and had him going UP to Buffalo, stopping over somewhere, and then down to FLL - getting to FLL at 5 pm) No way he would have made a cruise, if we were going on one. I worked some computer magic, and got him the last (very expensive) seat on the only open flight to MIA on AA. Couldn't get any flights anywhere into Southern Florida, or Orlando. (Spring Break week) I drove to MIA to pick him up. The "short" trip took well over 1 hour, and I left at 1 p.m. in the afternoon! Traffic was - well - traffic! I would never chance making the ship - especially if they were coming into a different airport!

If you are trying your best to miss your cruise, go ahead and book a flight that is not scheduled to arrive until 1330. Any delay at all and you are going to definitely miss your ship. Even if the flight gets in on time, you are pressing your luck making it to the port in time. Besides, if you don't make it onboard until right before muster you are going to miss out on embarkation lunch on lido and will be cheating yourself out of half your first cruise day. Do anything you can to get there earlier to avoid trouble.

Due to work schedules, we always fly in the morning of the cruise. We have had some extremely close calls though. Flight to England was delayed 8 hours (while we were sitting in the plane on the runway). Very luckily all the planes out of JFK were delayed and so many passengers were on the those flights, they didn't leave the port until we got there 2 hours late. I believe that was because the flights booked by the cruise line would have been too expensive to fly them all to the next port.

Second time, sat in traffic for 3 hours on the way to airport and missed flight to Venice. Ended up getting a flight to Paris and paying another $1000 to fly from Paris to Venice to get on the ship.

I haven't really learned my lesson, but we do get the earliest flight possible the morning of to Florida. I think if we went to Europe again, we would arrive the day before.

Due to work schedules, we always fly in the morning of the cruise. We have had some extremely close calls though. Flight to England was delayed 8 hours (while we were sitting in the plane on the runway). Very luckily all the planes out of JFK were delayed and so many passengers were on the those flights, they didn't leave the port until we got there 2 hours late. I believe that was because the flights booked by the cruise line would have been too expensive to fly them all to the next port.

Second time, sat in traffic for 3 hours on the way to airport and missed flight to Venice. Ended up getting a flight to Paris and paying another $1000 to fly from Paris to Venice to get on the ship.

I haven't really learned my lesson, but we do get the earliest flight possible the morning of to Florida. I think if we went to Europe again, we would arrive the day before.

Hi Jenn! Where in CT are you? We are in Newington. Not too many of us on these boards:D:D

As many have stated, sometimes it's not as easy as just flying in the day before. Work, family obligations, babysitter availability, etc. are many reasons why some people have to fly in the day of the cruise. We've flown in the day of the cruise about 1/2 the time and the other 1/2 we've flown in the day before. It depended on what was going on and flight prices (a day can be a BIG difference in price).

What we have always done though is on those trips where we flew in the day of the cruise, we've always gotten the absolute earliest flight we could get (which has always been a 6am out of Reagan National) and we've always researched possible alternatives in the event of extended delays. We usually are in FLA by 8:30am with plenty of time to spare. Last year however we flew in the day before and had a MAJOR delay that didn't get us into FLA until about 2:00 (this was an originally schedule 6am departure). Had that been the day of the cruise we would have been cutting it close since we landed in FLL and were cruising out of MIA.

You sat on the runway for 8 hours? Lol. No wonder the whole airport was delayed. In all seriousness, not a whole lot you can do there except for leaving two days before. At least the cruise line realized what was happening and held the ship for everyone. Doesn't always happen like that though.

You'll be a "fly in the day of type of girl" until you get burnt.

I'm an airline pilot and, for example, a few days ago, I operated a first morning flight (5:50am). I powered up the airplane to perform my preflight duties and that's when I discovered a computer problem. We had a serious fault with the avionics. Guess what? We canceled. And to make things worse, the agents were unable to re-accommodate all the passengers since all the other flights were full.

People dont understand the gamble they take by flying on the day of the cruise, specially out of airports where that airline doesn't have a hub. That means that there's most likely only ONE crew and ONE airplane available at that forsaken hour of the morning to operate your flight, and maintenance available may be a contract mechanic with no spare parts and who can only perform a limited amount of repairs.

If the general public understood all the "behind the scenes", and all the variables and people that need to perform flawlessly to get an airplane off the ground on time, they would NEVER be a "fly in the day of" kind of people.

I've been cruising for 20 years. And flying in the day of for 20 years. Thanks for your input though.

I've been cruising for 20 years. And flying in the day of for 20 years. Thanks for your input though.

You welcome. All it takes is one time to go from "I always fly on the day of the cruise" to "I used to always fly on the day of the cruise until..." :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You welcome. All it takes is one time to go from "I always fly on the day of the cruise" to "I used to always fly on the day of the cruise until..." :o

LOL, yeah I totally get the risks. I would always fly in the day before, but my travel companions would rather not. Luckily I live near 3 major airports and the one I fly out of all the time is a hub to more than a few major airlines

We are looking at the conquest and we found a flight in that lands at 1:30. Is that enough time to get bags, deplane, get on the ship and all, or should I get an earlier flight? Thanks.

Went on the Liberty in March. Had to book my air thru Carnival because I could not get a decent flight back on my own, spring break. They got me a flight arriving a l:50 PM. Was not happy. We were on the ship at 3:30. Getting back was another story. Got off the ship at 8:30, flight was sopposed to leave at 1:05 PM, thunderstorms, crew out of time. After hotels and 22 hours in airport we arrived in Pittsburgh Monday afternoon. We did have insurance and Carnival put us up in the Hilton in Miami.

We USED to fly in the same day, until we had a long flight delay. We were some of the last to board, and barely dropped off our bags in the cabin when Muster Drill was called.

NEVER AGAIN!

Just my opinion, of course!:rolleyes::p

Don't do it! The airlines are unreliable and it doesn't even have to be a weather issue. Sometimes there is a problem with a plane. The plane you're supposed to fly on can be late in getting in from a previous destination. We have even had the airlines cancel a flight on us the night before we were scheduled to fly out for a cruise. We go the day before. Fortunately for us in SC when the airlines canceled we were able to drive all day to Ft. Lauderdale since we had planned on leaving the day before anyway. Seriously do not cut it this close and if possible fly out the day before. Do you really want to chance missing your whole vacation because of some airline mishap?

I personally wouldn't do it, however over the past 7 years have not had a single flight delay or problem.

If you do carry-on only or are super confident your bags will arrive quickly, you could make it.

Just wanted to add something else: I booked a flight the day it opened

on AA to Miami for a pre-cruise stay before our next Christmas's cruise. Was for an 8 a.m. flight. Got an e-mail a week ago that they "moved" that flight to 1:30 p.m.. If we were cruising that day we wouldn't even have made the cruise! We called up, and luckily they were able to switch us to a different early flight from a different airport. They will sometimes switch flights very close to a sailing, and it may be hard to get on a flight. Again - why stress at the start of a vacation. Switch to an earlier flight time if you can't fly in a day or evening earlier!

Edited by pe4all

If changing is really expensive be sure to have Carnival's emergency #. Do you have insurance? I've been on ships that waited 3 hours for late pax but of course port requirements could change that. Since we live so far from the airport we have to overnight and always leave the day of the cruise. (over 20 times) and never missed or even came close. One time we had a 2 hour delay due to weather but had plenty of extra time. Your odds are much better if you aren't traveling during the winter.

We are looking at the conquest and we found a flight in that lands at 1:30. Is that enough time to get bags, deplane, get on the ship and all, or should I get an earlier flight?

Since the airline industry has such a good on-time reputation and traffic is never a problem. Maybe you should go for it.

Second thought. Bad idea. Get in earlier. If you have some free time in the morning go visit the beach or some cheesy tourist shops. It is better then panicking on an airplane or in traffic.

Enjoy your cruise.