Cruise ship as a mode of transportation?

Norveilex

Can you be a little more specific of your potential trip start-end points.

I think that I can possibly answer with the following trip that was done by another poster. The were moving to South America (Chile or somewhere down that way), and they said they were boarding in Los Angeles, and then disembarking in the relevant port in South America. So yes it appeared to be a mode of transportation. They were on the trip where the Splendor was moving back from the West Coast to the East Coast and could not go through the Panama Canal. They decided to cruise (instead of flying down) because they could take more luggage using the ship - but it all had to go in their cabin.

Can you be a little more specific of your potential trip start-end points.

I think that I can possibly answer with the following trip that was done by another poster. The were moving to South America (Chile or somewhere down that way), and they said they were boarding in Los Angeles, and then disembarking in the relevant port in South America. So yes it appeared to be a mode of transportation. They were on the trip where the Splendor was moving back from the West Coast to the East Coast and could not go through the Panama Canal. They decided to cruise (instead of flying down) because they could take more luggage using the ship - but it all had to go in their cabin.

Anywhere in the USA is where I can start. I would like to go to Cancun.

Anywhere in the USA is where I can start. I would like to go to Cancun.

Unless you live in or close to a port city, it would be much simpler to fly to Cancun, especially if that's your only destination.

Unless you live in or close to a port city, it would be much simpler to fly to Cancun, especially if that's your only destination.

Especially when you consider that no port is guarenteed by the cruise line and are subject to change without notice because of a multitude of reasons.

Especially when you consider that no port is guarenteed by the cruise line and are subject to change without notice because of a multitude of reasons.

Agreed. As with any vacation, you have to be somewhat flexible and accept the possibility that things can (and sometimes do) change without advanced notice. We've seen people get really upset with the cruise line when a port stop is changed or cancelled because of bad weather, as if the cruise line had some control over a hurricane or severe storm.

In the recent past the OP has asked similar questions about using a cruise ship for transportation to other places...Jamaica...Russia...transatlantic travel. It's a bit hard to take repeated asking of essentially the same question very seriously.

Edited by njhorseman

In the recent past the OP has asked similar questions about using a cruise ship for transportation to other places...Jamaica...Russia...transatlantic travel. It's a bit hard to take repeated asking of essentially the same question very seriously.

I get in an odd sort of mood and the notion crosses my mind. It is kind of hard to describe. I feel like a monkey that wants to get off the island. But, decides against it eventually.

I have read some articles about retired couples who want to spend a long time at a location- mostly Europe- where they use the cruise to be the mode of transportation.

If one is not in a big hurry, the price vs comfort is easily a better value on a ship vs. a plane.

I really like the idea of finding our way to port x, taking a trans atlantic to Europe, staying for the time we are allowed to via long term rentals in various locations, and then sailing back.

It would be an interesting lifestyle.

But it only seems to work if the port of embarcation is near the start, and the port of debarcation is close to the desired end. Although there have been rumors that customers pay the entire fee and are allowed to leave the ship early....

In the scenario of using a ship as a method of transportation from the US to Cancun, there are regulations regarding -and typically restricting - that if the ship is only a one way mode of transport.

However, if it would be OK'd you would have to have permission in advance from both the cruise line and the Cancun customs agency. You would also need a passport in order to leave Cancun to return to the US, whereas this would not be necessary if you were only visiting there as part of a closed loop US based cruise.

What has been done in the past by others is to book two cruises (and pay the full fare for both) and with the above permissions, depart the first cruise from the US and disembark at a particular destination, stay for whatever time is permitted, then reboard the second cruise at that destination to return to the US. This in essence makes the entire trip a closed loop US based cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We travel to Europe fairly often - a repositioning cruise ship is a comfortable means of transportation. We have met a number of retired Europeans who are "snowbirds" who migrate to Florida for the winter months and regularly travel by repositioning cruise ships. However, there is no regular one way cruise ship services to Caribbean ports - other than by intentionally missing your ship at a port.

I have read some articles about retired couples who want to spend a long time at a location- mostly Europe- where they use the cruise to be the mode of transportation.

If one is not in a big hurry, the price vs comfort is easily a better value on a ship vs. a plane.

I really like the idea of finding our way to port x, taking a trans atlantic to Europe, staying for the time we are allowed to via long term rentals in various locations, and then sailing back.

It would be an interesting lifestyle.

But it only seems to work if the port of embarcation is near the start, and the port of debarcation is close to the desired end. Although there have been rumors that customers pay the entire fee and are allowed to leave the ship early....

This is what I'd like to do upon retirement. As far as I'm concerned, that's what transatlantic itineraries are designed for. Or, I suppose any repositioning cruise.

Just hopping off in any port...pretty sure that's frowned upon, but probably do-able, assuming it's a foreign port, i's are dotted and t's crossed regarding immigration, and the whole Jones Act doesn't come into play.

Do any of them allow you to use their ship as a mode of transportation? Can you use them as a means of traveling? Do they allow you to get off and not have to get back on?

generally speaking no it is not allowed. now there are transatlantic or repositioning cruises that start in one port and end in another but normally no you cannot just disembark whenever you want to or even rejoin it later on without advance permission granted( and in some cases it cannot/will not be granted for a variety of reasons.)

It would be cheaper to fly to your destination because you have to pay for two full cruise fares, even if this kind of thing were allowed. But, the only way for you to do such a thing is in an area that has ferry boats that will take you to different places where you can leave the ship and stay in an area however long you desire. Many Europeans travel via their ferry systems, and take their holidays using those boats. But no such travel option exists here in the US for destinations in this part of the world.

generally speaking no it is not allowed. now there are transatlantic or repositioning cruises that start in one port and end in another but normally no you cannot just disembark whenever you want to or even rejoin it later on without advance permission granted( and in some cases it cannot/will not be granted for a variety of reasons.)

I agree that in general it would not be permitted as a one way transport. Repositioning and transatlantic cruises with "point to point" passage would be different in terms of a one way transport in terms of starting and ending point. But getting off that type of cruise at a mid-way port of call would likely not be allowed. But in closed loop itineraries it can be done with permission as you and I both indicated, and perhaps depending on port of disembarkation.

Case in point. This did occur on a southern Caribbean itinerary a number of years ago whereby a couple on our ship originating from PR disembarked - luggage in tow - in Barbados for a week there to rejoin the same ship on the following week to complete the remainder of the itinerary and return to PR.

They happened to be our table mates at dinner on the first leg and explained what they were doing with prior permission as indicated. They paid for both cruises in full and completed a single closed loop 1/2 itinerary at a time in that manner with a week in between at Barbados. But again, that was not a one way transport to a mid itinerary distination.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Technically, it could be done, so long as the beginning and end ports are not both US ports, or in any other country that has similar cabotage laws. However, as others have posted, it requires advance notice and permission from the cruise line, and you need to pay for the entire cruise, not just the portion you used. Recently, the lines are much more hesitant to allow this, as they have to arrange with local customs in the port you wish to debark in, and the fact that you debarked, means that they must submit a new passenger manifest to CBP (as opposed to using the embark manifest which is allowed for a closed loop cruise), and this can (perhaps may or may not actually) result in increased cost for the line, and increased screening for all passengers when they disembark at the end of the cruise.

If you choose the "don't tell the cruise line, just miss the ship" option, you will only be cleared into the country where you debark as an "in transit" status, and when you go to leave, there will be problems with local customs and immigration, since there is no record of your legal entry into their country.

I would love to be able to use cruises as a mode of transportation. It is a more relaxed and interesting trip than flying. I haven't asked a cruise line if it is possible but people have told me that you have to pay for the entire cruise, like someone else has said, and even then options are very limited.

I have seen several cruises throughout the world that start in one country and end in another. I plan to take some trips using those cruises. For example if we take the 56 day Africa overland trip I'm looking at next summer we will probably cruise US to South America then fly to Africa from there since that will be a shorter flight. Unfortunately the only cruise from US to Africa was Oceania thus more than I want to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, I have done this. Back in the '70's, my wife and I were relocating back from the UK to the US. For slightly more than first class airfare, we got 2nd class tickets on the QEII, and the added benefit was that your ticket included 2 suitcases per person, 2 steamer trunks per person in the baggage locker, and 20 cubic feet per person of space in the cargo hold. We shipped a lot of the household things that we would need sooner than the company arranged ocean freight for the rest of our belongings.

I would love to be able to use cruises as a mode of transportation. It is a more relaxed and interesting trip than flying. I haven't asked a cruise line if it is possible but people have told me that you have to pay for the entire cruise, like someone else has said, and even then options are very limited.

I have seen several cruises throughout the world that start in one country and end in another. I plan to take some trips using those cruises. For example if we take the 56 day Africa overland trip I'm looking at next summer we will probably cruise US to South America then fly to Africa from there since that will be a shorter flight. Unfortunately the only cruise from US to Africa was Oceania thus more than I want to pay.

Unless you've already done so, check with your TA regarding an "apples to apples" comparison of inclusive pricing on Oceania as compared to Celebrity and HAL. Along with current perks offered by the cruise line and it's top producing TAs, you may be favorably surprised at the cost.

Interesting....I will do the comparison.

So the price includes all alcoholic drinks and excursions?

Oceania has a comparison chart for longer cruises in more than one if its promotional materials comparing its itineraries, cabin costs, included beverages (but not alcohol), specialty restaurants, "free" air, etc. with those of HAL and either Princess or Celebrity (can't remember). The cost per day works out to be very close. Add to that cruise line sales/perks and/or TA OBC and it may be doable for you. Oceania does run select special sales through its preferred travel partners. We recently got a more than 10% refund (after full payment) plus free gratuities because of a cabin price drop briefly available to only our TA's agency (and some others, I would guess).

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not exactly the same thing but there are certain "cruise lines" that are really working lines that just happen to also have some cruise-type itineraries. Many of them are ferry-services. Some of their vessels are more cruise-ship like than others. For instance Hurtigruten operates ships around Norway in a dual-purpose fashion for both a cruising experience as well as ferry-transportation. While their ships may not have "entertainment services" like a traditional cruise ship, they are well-appointed. Other operators use expedition/research-type vessels. On the other end of the spectrum are operators such as the Alaskan Marine Highway that operate pretty much like a long-haul ferry service. Dining amenities on include a barebones cafeteria and whatever you can bring along from a shopping trip at Safeway. Cabins range from sleeping in a tent on deck to a barren cabin with fold-down bunks. So you're definitely not living in the lap of luxury but that type of travelling also has its charms.

Probably not exactly the same thing but there are certain "cruise lines" that are really working lines that just happen to also have some cruise-type itineraries. Many of them are ferry-services. Some of their vessels are more cruise-ship like than others. For instance Hurtigruten operates ships around Norway in a dual-purpose fashion for both a cruising experience as well as ferry-transportation. While their ships may not have "entertainment services" like a traditional cruise ship, they are well-appointed. Other operators use expedition/research-type vessels. On the other end of the spectrum are operators such as the Alaskan Marine Highway that operate pretty much like a long-haul ferry service. Dining amenities on include a barebones cafeteria and whatever you can bring along from a shopping trip at Safeway. Cabins range from sleeping in a tent on deck to a barren cabin with fold-down bunks. So you're definitely not living in the lap of luxury but that type of travelling also has its charms.

We've used the ferries in British Columbia and the maritimes. Hope to use them in Norway someday soon Have you used the Alaska Marine Highway? Looking at that in the next couple of years.

Have you used the Alaska Marine Highway? Looking at that in the next couple of years

The AMH is like most ferry-services a point-to-point affair. You can do creative planning with scheduling and itineraries to turn it into a cruise though. They have an online planner which will help with that. One nice thing is that you can treat it as a hop-on/hop-off where you want. Also since it allows you to take a vehicle with you, you have more freedom in how you spend your time "in-port". Note that port of calls aren't designed for cruising in mind so they may be very short and you may not get a chance to actually visit the port if you want to catch a sailing on the same vessel. But you can of course grab all your stuff, disembark, visit the port and then catch another sailing. Note that cabins become very limited and sell out quick so plan well in advance unless you want to sleep on deck or in the tent-section of the ship.

Being from the Seattle area, the AMH is convenient for me. It's a 90 minute drive to Bellingham where I could pick up the AMH and from there ferry-hop to wherever I wanted to go.

entire_system.jpg

Edited by WintrHawk