Cruise Director impact on cruise

Hello all. We just ended our April 27th cruise in the Allure (booo.. is it over). I was thinking about cruise directors after this cruise; ours was Ken Rush, and I got to wondering what people thought of the cruise director effect.

I will be honest. After five cruises, I remember only two cruise directors. Richard Spacey on the Freedom, and now Ken Rush on the Allure.

While I didn't think it was important to me, I know realize I certainly did notice if they are good. I swear Ken managed to introduce or close out just about every show or event I went to on my recent Allure cruise. Same with Richard.

In hindsight, I guess I love it. They really make you feel like RCI gives a hoot. Crazy that one person could do that - but it's so true. I now understand why people ask about the cruise director before they sail. They make the nerd in us feel popular!

What do you guys think. Do the cruise directors make a difference?

Oh jeesh - same could be said about captains... LOVE captain Johnny!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello all. We just ended our April 27th cruise in the Allure (booo.. is it over). I was thinking about cruise directors after this cruise; ours was Ken Rush, and I got to wondering what people thought of the cruise director effect.

I will be honest. After five cruises, I remember only two cruise directors. Richard Spacey on the Freedom, and now Ken Rush on the Allure.

While I didn't think it was important to me, I know realize I certainly did notice if they are good. I swear Ken managed to introduce or close out just about every show or event I went to on my recent Allure cruise. Same with Richard.

In hindsight, I guess I love it. They really make you feel like RCI gives a hoot. Crazy that one person could do that - but it's so true. I now understand why people ask about the cruise director before they sail. They make the nerd in us feel popular!

Loved both Ken Rush and Captain Johnny! Were you able to spot him tooling around on his Harley? Very cool! As for your question on CD's and cruises, I think it really depends on the cruise for me. A port intensive sailing such as the Med or Baltics, I really didn't care much about who the CD was. But for the Caribbean cruises, I do like a good CD. I guess we are more into ship activities and shows on the laid back itineraries. Just my opinion. :)

Dolfans from Miami

We thought Rush was pretty good but don't be surprised when his detractors start posting here. He seems to have polarized some people.

Honestly other then Ken Rush I can't remember one other CD. The only way I remember Ken Rush is we have had him on 3 of our cruises. The CD or Captain don't really mean much to us. I know a lot of people pay attention to all that and that is fine, just not going to make or break a cruise for us.

Honestly other then Ken Rush I can't remember one other CD. The only way I remember Ken Rush is we have had him on 3 of our cruises. The CD or Captain don't really mean much to us. I know a lot of people pay attention to all that and that is fine, just not going to make or break a cruise for us.

I actually do pay attention to the CD. I remember all of our CD's on past cruises and have been fortunate to enjoy them all. Not a bad one among them. They have all had great humor and/or great energy. They get you into the mood for the show or activity.

As far as the captain is concerned, I remember 2, Capt James MacDonald and Henri Loy. Both for the same reason. They were up beat and the crews on their ship were outstanding. Attitude is top down, and a good leader will pass his positivity to his crew.

I feel like the cruise director is actually pretty important. (S)He sets the vibe on the ship even if you don't see him much. We had Ricky a few years ago. LOVED him and almost took a cruise we weren't thrilled with (didn't love the itinerary) just because he was leaving that ship (Grandeur) and we wanted to see him one more time.

As for captains, I haven't felt attached to any of them. I did love that we had the only woman cruise captain though. I thought that was really cool.

I feel like the cruise director is actually pretty important. (S)He sets the vibe on the ship even if you don't see him much. We had Ricky a few years ago. LOVED him and almost took a cruise we weren't thrilled with (didn't love the itinerary) just because he was leaving that ship (Grandeur) and we wanted to see him one more time.

As for captains, I haven't felt attached to any of them. I did love that we had the only woman cruise captain though. I thought that was really cool.

I really must be in the minority because we found Ricky offensive and lounge lizard like and he really soured our cruise experience

On the other hand Richard spacey made an otherwise awful explorer spring break debacle into a better experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by sr5242

A cruise director's main job is to provide good entertainment on the cruise, not necessarily be the entertainment. If the entertainment staff is active, the guest entertainers are good, music around the ship is enjoyable and abundant, etc, then you have a good cruise director. If he or she is also talented and personable, it's a bonus.

I think it depends on how many cruises you have been on. For the first few cruises, where you go to EVERY event, the CD can have an impact.

But after several cruises, where you no longer go to the majority of the activities, the CD has much less impact on you.

If you cruise like some CC'ers---3 weeks a month--- my guess is the CD would become rather repetitive. I might say annoying. Much like going to see a great comedian 10 nights in a row where they do the EXACT same routine. After the first show they go downhill.

CDs can be like food. What some love, others may not care for nearly as much. Some prefer a CD who is more outgoing, while others prefer a more low key CD. I have had good CDs under both categories across all lines.

To us, the CD is a very small part of the cruise experience. I liked some more than others, but have never had a CD change my overall impression of a cruise or ship.

I would never book a cruise for a specific CD. (If for no other reason, the schedules can change)

For us a good CD adds to our enjoyment and fun on our Cruise but a bad CD doesn't take away any enjoyment and fun from our Cruise.

This. We've had good CDs who have enhanced our time aboard, but have never left thinking that all was lost because of a bad one.

Our first cruise the CD was virtually invisible, and we thought nothing of it. It was a couple of years until we booked our next one, by then I had discovered cruise critic and could not for the life of my figure out why anyone cared who the CD was. Then we took that cruise and had an amazing CD, and I knew what all the fuss was about.

I recently went on a cruise on another line, and the CD was not there for the first couple of days of the cruise. One of the Activity Staff filled in for the CD, and while he did an admirable job, you could tell a difference in energy level at the shows and events once the CD came aboard. So I would say that while it may be hard to differentiate once from another, you do get good value from a CD, especially if the shows and activities are an important part of what you enjoy about a cruise.

And I totally agree with those who say that a captain can have an impact too. Captain Johnny rocks, and we looked forward to his announcements (and accompanying jokes) every day. He was personable, outgoing, and memorable. We've also had plenty who I couldn't begin to tell you their names, and their announcements were uninspired and basic. But, they did their jobs, kept us safe, and ran a tight ship (ha) with the crew to keep guests happy, and that's the important thing.

CD's have absolutely no influence regarding how I enjoy my cruise. Have taken over 30 cruises and can't tell you the name of any.

Yes they do, they are responsible for planning and coordinating all the entertainment on your cruise. Just because you don't know or remember names, don't undervalue the work of the cruise directors.

I have only had one memorable one, Richard Spacey, on our honeymoon cruise. He greatly enhanced the entire experience, we very much looked forward to his Wake Up show with Katie each day.

I don't think that the not memorable ones detracted from my other cruises, but I think a good, personable CD can greatly enhance.

I agree that the CD plays a pivotal role with the cruise; esp since he/she pops up everywhere.

Had Ken on Allure and thought he was fun. That is, until we had Ricky on Oasis and I was hooked. Between Ricky and DJ Tony Scott...it was probably some of the best fun we've had on a cruise. We talk about them to this day and the cruise was 2 years ago. LOL!

I can see how either could rub pax the wrong way; Ken on the mature/conservative side and Ricky on the young side. We had a blast with Ricky and would LOVE to sail with him again.