Cruise/Boarding Pets

Silverman

Not sure where to post this. But since Im be sailing on RC. Ill ask here. Ok so some people wont understand this. A long story short. A friend just passed away and now Im the proud owner of his dog. Its a Chi. He knows me really well so the transition has been very smooth. My question is how do you deal with leaving your pet at a Boarding place while cruising? Im afraid Ill miss him to much. Yes he gets spoiled rotten. I missed him when I was on my last cruise and he wasnt even mine. Anything you can tell me to ease my mind? I cant leave him with a relative because he doesnt know any of my family. So I think boarding will make things easier. I just dont know what to do. Please there is no need to post on this if you dont have anything nice to say.

Yes, its tough. We choose an excellent cageless boarding facility that suits our dog (big, high activity). He has 2 walks a day, and all the play he can handle. They post pictures on their facebook site.

Knowing he's having fun allows me to relax.

Can you find a boarding facility that meets your new dog's needs in your area?

I totally understand your dilemma. We were recently gone for over 3 weeks and had to board our cairn terrier during that time. We missed her terribly and we know she missed us. But, we do forgo certain things when we are home to take care of her - we don't begrudge it in any way because we love her so much and get such joy from her (every time we come through the door she is as excited as if she hasn't seen us for a week) -but one of us does make sure to go straight home from work to see her and let her out instead of going to dinner or happy hour or running errands. Plus, when we make it home after a trip we appreciates the time together that much more, as does she.

We use two different kennels, one of which has a "playcam" where you can watch your pet outside two times a day for half an hour each time. We try to watch that once in a while to reassure ourselves she is ok. I do wish she could go more places with us but it is not always possible.

We take her own food for the morning so everything is not different. We also take a blanket she sleeps on and one of her "babies" - a stuffed toy to sleep and play with. That way she has some familiar things with her, so it is more like home.

We always make sure the kennel has multiple ways to contact us just in case something comes up - which it never has! Don't hesitate to call part way through the trip just to check up and make sure everything is ok if that will help ease your mind.

My dogs are my babies. They sleep with me in my bed. I cook their food for them. Yes, I've become that "crazy dog lady." I don't work so I'm home with them a LOT and they do have separation anxiety, even when I go out front to do yard work and leave them inside.

But sometimes I need a break from them (just as I needed a get away from my children now and then), and they from me. If you think you'll miss the dog too much 1) don't go. 2) go away for a weekend so you can get used to being away from him and vice versa.

For the dog you might also consider talking to your vet techs. Mine will come and stay at my house and take care of the dogs. walks. loves. needed medications, etc. I feel very confident because my dogs know them and they know my dogs. I try to keep my dogs at my house rather than the stress of taking them elsewhere while I'm gone. It costs me PLENTY. Their boarding is more expensive than my cruise in a balcony cabin. I'd probably cruise every month if I didn't have to factor in the cost of dog care.

One other thing, most boarding facilities have day care. For your sake and the dog's, if you decide to board him, let him get used to the facility and the people, by doing half-day day care sessions. That way you can leave him and have a sense of confidence that he'll be well cared for and happy.

Also, you said you can't leave him w/ a relative b/c he doesn't know them…. well if they're willing you could let him get to know them. Leave him there for a night, a day, a weekend, whatever works before you go away for a longer period of time.

We're all VERY very happy to see each other when we reunite.

Our pet is a cat that "adopted" us 7 years ago. He's been through a tough 12 months due to several hospital stays and resulting surgery (for us too money wise) but that doesn't stop us putting him in a cattery whilst we're cruising. He was away for 17 days and we picked him up again just 6 days ago after a TA sailing.

I know he's well looked after, groomed and generally made a fuss of whilst he's there. He does seem to get a little stressed, but within 24 hours he's back to his normal self (which is sleeping and eating, in that order!).

We budget the cost of his 'vacation' in with the cost of ours.

I would recommend finding a good boarding kennel, especially if you can get personal recommendations, go visit and any good cattery or kennel will give you a guided tour. If your pet has specific needs, make sure that they will cater for that, ours does.

Edited by peteukmcr

Check your arrangements with enough time to comply with the requirements of the kennel you choose.

Many, if not all, require certain vaccination shots to keep your pet and the others from ailments common to pet boarding facilities.

Note: these are not the usual rabies/distemper shots that you may be familiar with.

Yes, it's hard to leave a member of the family behind when we cruise. But kennels are not the caged jailhouses that they used to be. Look around and visit the ones in your area--as other posters have mentioned, some have doggie-cams, group play, and comfortable sleeping quarters. Take your dog to visit beforehand.

Be sure to take a favorite blanket and toys--we also take some special snacks. Just be prepared for 2 things--first, it will cost you a bundle, and second, your dog will miss you and may need a bit of time to re-acclimate after you return. Over the years we've had several dogs and they each react differently to separation--but even Tripper (the one who sulks) is back to his old self after a day.

Check your arrangements with enough time to comply with the requirements of the kennel you choose.

Many, if not all, require certain vaccination shots to keep your pet and the others from ailments common to pet boarding facilities.

Note: these are not the usual rabies/distemper shots that you may be familiar with.

I have boarded at several kennels. The extra required vax was bordatella/kennel cough shots. And all say if they notice fleas/ticks they mandate a bath/treatment (at your expense). Might vary by area of course.

Are there any specialty pet shops in your area? Try asking them for the names of pet boarders in your area who keep your pet in their home. That's how I found someone to watch my dog when we went away.

My dog is small and I didn't want to put her in a kennel with a lot of other, bigger dogs. I visited a kennel where they had group play so I asked to see the dogs she would be playing with. They were all a lot bigger than she is.

Later I got another dog, so now I have someone come and stay at my house.

Edited by marci22

I was just going through this same predicament. I found this place called "Leader of the Pack" which is a day care / boarding facility - in which they don't cage the animals all the time. They let them play together in their natural pack environment (well supervised of course). There are three floors - small, medium, and large/high energy - and each one has their own outside area as well. In the outside area there is playground equipment, pools (in the summer) toys, etc. Inside there is beds all over. fresh water available all the time. There is two monitors one for inside and outside. They're caged and separated only for feeding, and at night if you so choose. Otherwise they're left to sleep in their pack environment - to which someone is there monitoring that as well. Best part - there is webcams so you can just pop on and peek at your dog at any time ;)

Obviously, this doesn't help unless you live in my area lol, but check maybe there is something like this near you! They do have to pass a temperament test for a day before they can be left to board there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A possible solution for you could be a pet sitter. I have 2 large parrots and a cat, I use a local pet sitter who comes to my home twice a day and takes care of the pets as well as brings in the mail and waters the plants - and I feel more secure about leaving knowing that someone will be at the house twice a day. Pets are less stressed because they are in their home environment. Lots of info on the 'net about how to find one, what questions to ask during initial consultation, and make sure whoever you use is insured and bonded.

We're fortunate to have an excellent cageless boarding kennel near us, but check out dogvacay dot com. It's a listing of local people who will take care of your dog in their homes, complete with user ratings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know I would travel a lot more if I didn't have my little yorkie.. however, she is the love of my life and I hate leaving her... even tho I have friends who offer to take her I leave her with my vet.. he does not board a lot of dogs and there are no cages or crates.. she is in a "suite" which is a small room with mini couch, etc.. and there is an outdoor play area.. she loves the techs there and they love her.. and also I have peace of mind if she did get sick she is already at her vet..the suite life for her costs 45.00 per nite.. I understand some of the newer Petsmart stores have pet boarding and great accommodations and play area.. in fact, you get a report card for your dog, i.e. plays well with others, etc... lol

If possible could you hire a house sitter?

For the last 4 cruises we have had the luxury of using a house sitter to stay and keep our house occupied and the cats have their own vacation from us.

Although we live in a safe area, with a home security system and nosy neighbors, we always pay someone to stay.

In the past it was my brother, it is amazing what a "stocked" refrigerator will do for someone.

The peace of mind knowing someone ( family member) is having their own vacation at your own home, keeping it occupied really makes traveling so much less stressful for us.

In fact he books his vacation when we book our cruise just to stay.

Sea Ya

My DH and I have a terrier mix and a dachshund/shih tzu mix who pretty much rule our house. During a 2012 cruise, we had a horrible boarding experience with the terrier (we picked the kennel based on glowing word of mouth reviews...but, based on her behavior upon our return - we dropped a happy, loving dog off and picked up a petrified, skittish, neurotic dog...some behaviors which have lasted even to this day - we strongly believe she was abused during our absence. Unfortunately we have no proof...no cameras/no marks on her/etc...so we have no grounds to pursue anything against the kennel) so we were quite concerned about picking a kennel for our 2013 cruise.

We boarded our two pups with our vet in 2013 after grilling him extensively about the kennel conditions and the people who would be caring for our pets. We made sure this kennel's environment would be as much like home as possible...they were even allowed to sleep in the same kennel together which is what they are used to at home. When we picked them up, they were glad to come home, but were not emotionally damaged like our first pup was in 2012. They even spent some time loving on the kennel worker before we left the office.

While we prefer having family or friends spend time with them while we are away, that's not always possible. When having to use kennels, we have learned to ask questions, questions, questions and don't trust word of mouth reviews alone. It takes a measure of faith to leave a "fur baby" with a kennel, but with enough research into the environment, crew, activity time/frequency, you can make an educated decision on what the best choice for your pup would be.

I went from kennel to kennel, to find the "right" one for my dog. Don't just take them anywhere! If you do a bit of legwork, you'll find the right kennel for both of you! Something that you feel is clean, friendly and well-run, and while your dog will "guilt" you to death when you walk away, you'll know that he/she is in good hands!

That is the only part of a cruise I don't look forward to!!

Our dogs were 13 (we just lost one about 2 months ago), and it is always easier and less stressful on them to have a pet sitter. Ours gets our mail and newspapers, and house sits too. The dogs are comfortable, the house is safe, and we have the worry off of our mind.

Your vet might be able to recommend someone, or some of your pet parent friends. If you have a niece or nephew that is responsible, you could ask them. It's better for the dog to have someone that they know or have a relationship with, so if you go with a sitter, have them come over a few times before you leave to get to know your baby.

Wow many, many Thanks for all the responses. You have given me quite a few options. I have been doing some research and have found a few Kennels around my area. Now I need to go visit them. This really helped a lot.

There are a bunch of really good suggestions here but let me add a couple of things for your consideration during your search for a kennel. My wife has worked for an AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) certified vet for the last 24 years. She recommends that you start with them to see if there are any clinics in your area. It is extremely tough to meet their certification criteria and there are periodic follow ups.

--Many vets also operate boarding facilities. This would also be a good place to start

--Do not schedule an appointment to see the kennel. If it is a first class boarding facility, you should be able to see the kennel on a moments notice.

--Most reputable facilities will provide play times but some will offer upgraded one on one time especially if you provide a toy.

--Make sure all shots are up to date and be prepared to provide records or certifications.

--Take a familiar blanket and/or toy to keep them company. Kennel food will be good quality but you should be able to take your own if you prefer. Put it in a closed container and tape feeding instructions to it.

--Expect the animal to be somewhat lethargic when you pick them up and understand the animal will drink water to excess. It has nothing to do with thirst and more to do with excitement however excessive water at this point may cause vomiting. Just simply introduce small amounts of water once you are home.

--By all means, feel free to call and check on your pet. Reputable boarding facilities will more happy to talk with you.

Try to relax and enjoy your cruise

I know how you feel. My Chihuahua is 14 years old now and I miss her so much when I have to board her. It's a bittersweet time. I'm excited and happy to be able to go on a cruise but I'm heartbroken when I have to leave her. Good luck and happy cruising. :)

If possible could you hire a house sitter?

For the last 4 cruises we have had the luxury of using a house sitter to stay and keep our house occupied and the cats have their own vacation from us.

Although we live in a safe area, with a home security system and nosy neighbors, we always pay someone to stay.

In the past it was my brother, it is amazing what a "stocked" refrigerator will do for someone.

The peace of mind knowing someone ( family member) is having their own vacation at your own home, keeping it occupied really makes traveling so much less stressful for us.

In fact he books his vacation when we book our cruise just to stay.

Sea Ya

I wholeheartedly agree! We hire a house sitter for $50 a day..we have used a family we know who were living in a apartment at the time, a bachelor, an intern from work, an old babysitter. They were all glad to stay here and out of their cramped apartment/away from roommates/ to make some good pocket money! The animals (1 dog, 2 cats) know them and the house is safer because they are here. Win, win! Lauri

Excellent! I would add a couple of things.

Yes, your dog may go home and want to drink a lot of water. It is not uncommon for a dog to have diarrhea after it gets home - even 3-4 days later. Compare it to the human experience; I know when I go on vacation, my system will most likely be out of kilter afterwards. :o

Your dog may come home and sleep for two days. Their sleeping pattern is different at a kennel, and they don't get naps during the day, because there is so much going on.

Do not carry on when you leave your dog. Hard as it may be, show no emotion. If you kootchie-coo, wail, "I'm so sorry," or "My poor baby," chances are, your dog is going to act pitiful ... until you're out the door. Compare it to the little kid who cries when dropped off at kindergarten. As soon as the parent leaves, the kid is fine.

There are soooo many things you can do at home to ensure your dog is not traumatized by boarding, but this is Cruise Critic, not a training forum.

There are a bunch of really good suggestions here but let me add a couple of things for your consideration during your search for a kennel. My wife has worked for an AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) certified vet for the last 24 years. She recommends that you start with them to see if there are any clinics in your area. It is extremely tough to meet their certification criteria and there are periodic follow ups.

--Many vets also operate boarding facilities. This would also be a good place to start

--Do not schedule an appointment to see the kennel. If it is a first class boarding facility, you should be able to see the kennel on a moments notice.

--Most reputable facilities will provide play times but some will offer upgraded one on one time especially if you provide a toy.

--Make sure all shots are up to date and be prepared to provide records or certifications.

--Take a familiar blanket and/or toy to keep them company. Kennel food will be good quality but you should be able to take your own if you prefer. Put it in a closed container and tape feeding instructions to it.

--Expect the animal to be somewhat lethargic when you pick them up and understand the animal will drink water to excess. It has nothing to do with thirst and more to do with excitement however excessive water at this point may cause vomiting. Just simply introduce small amounts of water once you are home.

--By all means, feel free to call and check on your pet. Reputable boarding facilities will more happy to talk with you.

Try to relax and enjoy your cruise