Celebrity Military Discount

Oxo

Booked a Celebrity cruise for Nov 2014 months ago. Used my FCC and got a $250.00 OBC. However, yesterday I checked the price for the same Category and they had a Military and 55+ Discount. So, my TA called and this is what happened.

My total cruise cost went down by $40/person or $80 for 2 of us. Great!

However, my OBC went from $250 to $150.

Big deal/discount for Military/55+. The discount/deal will cost me $20.00 in lost OBC.

Is this another cutback or just ...............?

Comments?

It's not a cutback, you just can't combine certain discounts. Why did your TA change it when she/he learned it would go down? :(

That is not the point. This is an example of Celebrity hiding with the 'bait and switch.'

My TA took care of me, however, why say you are going to get a discount and then in reality you don't.

Is there a list of discounts that cannot be combined?

Another example of 'SALE?' LOL Or is this another Classic/Premium Package fiasco?

FYI-No, My TA did not let me down. Been using the same TA for years and been cruising for many years. Just wanted to share this with some of the newbees.

Why do people immediately blame someone else (TA) instead of Celebrity?

FYI-No, My TA did not let me down. Been using the same TA for years and been cruising for many years. Just wanted to share this with some of the newbees.

Why do people immediately blame someone else (TA) instead of Celebrity?

Because posters on cruisecritic blame TA's for everything and give them credit for nothing. It's their Favourite pastime.

That is not the point. This is an example of Celebrity hiding with the 'bait and switch.'

My TA took care of me, however, why say you are going to get a discount and then in reality you don't.

Another example of 'SALE?' LOL Or is this another Classic/Premium Package fiasco?

There's no bait and switch.

LOL.... Maybe you need to get your TA to help you understand how things work.:rolleyes:

There's no bait and switch.

LOL.... Maybe you need to get your TA to help you understand how things work.:rolleyes:

Your opinion is appreciated. However, my TA is one of the biggest in FL. Why make a statement like that when you don't even know the Agency, TA involved or even me? LOL

As for me, I don't post as much as you, but I think I know a little about cruising and business.

Thanks again for your opinion.

BTW-just look at the number of cruises you have done. 56 - your a rookie. LOL

Edited by Oxo

Your opinion is appreciated. However, my TA is one of the biggest in FL. Why make a statement like that when you don't even know the Agency, TA involved or even me? LOL

As for me, I don't post as much as you, but I think I know a little about cruising and business.

Thanks again for your opinion.

BTW-just look at the number of cruises you have done. 56 - your a rookie. LOL

"You're" a rookie? Okay. ;) You probably have twenty-five years on me.......

Obviously you don't understand pricing and how it works and I assume the TA doesn't either.

Edited by cruisingator2

Generally in many places you can't combine discounts, which is what you are trying to do. Your TA should know this is very common with Celebrity.

You did get a discount, (in the form of OBC) then you wanted another discount on top of that one. There's no bait and switch at all.

Don't jump on the complainers band wagon, getting double discount isn't anything to do with drinks packages at all is it?

Out of interest though, you say you used FCC when did you purchase the certificate?

I'm not sure why you are being so defensive when you asked for comments? :(

If Celebrity offers a Michigan discount of $100 and a military discount of $150 and you qualify for both, what do you get? You get $150 off, not $250. Whether or not it's clearly advertised all discounts aren't combinable, a bait and switch it certainly is not.

People are saying your TA let you down because they are presuming that the TA made the change in your booking even though it increased your net cost after OBC and also presume the TA didn't inform you that it would result in a net increase before making the change. From reading your post it sounded like this was the case although it isn't 100% clear that it was. In the event it was then their comments are justified as the TA should have told you that the change would increase your net cost before making the change.

The scenario you laid out, with the discount not being a good deal due to loss of OBC is not unusual. Celebrity's policy generally seems to be that discounts and promos are not combinable unless expressly stated - which doesn't happen very often. Also, when getting a fare reduction or discount applied to an existing booking it is common for the entire deal to brought to market including any prior promo offers. So if you had a promo like OBC or a beverage package you'll usually only keep it if new price would include it for a new booking. And finally, some OBC offers are in substance commission rebates from TA's so it is not uncommon for this type to be reduced by the TA if there is a fare change that reduces the TA's profits.

Take a look here: maybe it will shed some light on what happened.

This is Celebrity's Best Price Guarantee Policy

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/bpGuarantee.do?pagename=footer_pages_best_price_guarantee

And yes, I think the TA did let you down. As soon as he or she saw that you were losing in the bargain, the original booking and OBC should have been restored.

When I read the OP, I wasn't convinced they actually went through with the rate switch to Military fare, but was more inquiring what the consequences would be IF they switched. So I'm unable to jump onto the "bad TA" bandwagon. I do hope the OP's experience serves as good info to others to inquire about the consequences of a rate switch before actually going forward with it if/when a lower rate becomes available.

Generally in many places you can't combine discounts, which is what you are trying to do. Your TA should know this is very common with Celebrity.

You did get a discount, (in the form of OBC) then you wanted another discount on top of that one. There's no bait and switch at all.

Don't jump on the complainers band wagon, getting double discount isn't anything to do with drinks packages at all is it?

Out of interest though, you say you used FCC when did you purchase the certificate?

I'm not sure why you are being so defensive when you asked for comments? :(

I don't mind comments and yes, I did ask for comments. However, why do people immediately blame a TA or a person for not knowing what discounts apply and when to apply specific discounts?

Does it matter when I purchased the certificate? I have done 7 Celebrity cruises in the past two years ( 2 upcoming this year,too.)

Why is it when someone posts a concern or disagrees with what Celebrity does or does not do, they are complaining.

Enough said. Sorry I ever posted since I seemed to create a bucket of worms.

I will request that this topic be closed.

I don't mind comments and yes, I did ask for comments. However, why do people immediately blame a TA or a person for not knowing what discounts apply and when to apply specific discounts?

Does it matter when I purchased the certificate? I have done 7 Celebrity cruises in the past two years ( 2 upcoming this year,too.)

Why is it when someone posts a concern or disagrees with what Celebrity does or does not do, they are complaining.

Enough said. Sorry I ever posted since I seemed to create a bucket of worms.

I will request that this topic be closed.

It matters because they changed the rules for FCC (open passages) last year. Depending on when it was bought it may/may not be combinable. I'm actually trying to help you, if you don't want help then fine.

You compared your situation to the "drinks package fiasco" (as you called it) I didn't.

Why are you so annoyed? :confused:

Edited by DebbieMacG

Not trying to be funny, but this is how CC works. One posts an honest question or comment and then the lamb is slaughtered. It has happened to all of us and will happen to all of us again. Have great cruises.

For heavens sake no ones said anything to him apart from trying to give him advice! Seriously :eek: suggesting someone's TA should know about discounts is slaughtering a lamb?!!

Edited by DebbieMacG

My poor TA gets texts from me all the time asking him to check if the senior, police, residents discounts eg that come up apply and what would I lose of my existing perks. The last time I gave up $150 OBC for a $300 police discount. He calls X and gives me the options and I make the decision. He would never change anything on my booking without my ok.

If you have a copy of your FCC it clearly states what it cannot be combined with. The new FCC (Passages) can now be combined with one other offer.

IMHO here’s the big deal. Celebrity doesn’t offer many military discounts. So this doesn’t turn out in your favor. But you’re still getting something of an OBC which is better than nothing.

I’m assuming you’re either an active service member or you are retired in one form or other, just as I am. Thanks for your service. I think the important thing here is that there is a service member and their family able to enjoy a cruise that they might not otherwise be able to take.

When I was a young airman back in the late 60’s and early 70’s the climate in our country was much different and nothing like this was available. I personally believe that Celebrity falls woefully short in making more of these offers available compared to other cruise lines.

There is a website which lists all current senior, fire, police, military etc discounts offered at any one time. Random samples

Millie sailing June 13 and it has these discounts:

Inside cabin - $50 Military

Ocean view - $500 Senior

Balcony - $250 Senior

Equinox Dec 22. 11 nights

Balcony - $450 discount for Police

Century Sept 4

Balcony - $100 Firefighter discounts

As far as I know Princess does not have Senior (55+), Police or Firefighter discounts. All well deserved:)

Not all combineable but easy to give up a $200 OBC for a $500 senior discount eg.