The Ship Left Me!!!!

dljones

Several years ago - the gangway was already up but they did put it back down for me and when I ran to the top, the security officer gave me "%$#@" :eek:

Worst part of the near miss was that all I had on me was the ship card and $5! I had taken some bottles back to the ship and changed into my bathing suit, went back on shore and had a few too many. To make things worst yet, I am a diabetic and had no other ID or credit card to get back home!

I also no longer say "I don't want to go home!" :rolleyes:

Several cruises later and still staying ashore as long as possible, but do watch the time much closer.

BTW - this was in St. Maarten

I see how it can happen so easily, because it almost happened to me and my husband! We took a Carnival excursion in Cozumel... it was the cooking class Playa Mia. It was a drink-fest lol. They kept the drinks flowing! We were dropped back at the pier at 4:30 (sail away was at 5pm) and my uh, "tipsy" husband spotted a sculpture of The Predator, like from the movie, that was made of shark cartilage. Like, "authentic shark cartilage", man (I laugh because you could see the seam from the mold that the resin had been poured into to make this sculpture) But yeah, anywhoo, while he bought that, I wandered to the next kiosk and we somehow lost each other and were running in circles. The ship was blowing its horn and I decided to run down the pier and that's when I spotted him and his predator... and we made just in the nick of time. Like, they met us at the gang plank asking if we were Mike and Emily (and predator) because they'd been waiting on us. Thank God it was a Carnival excursion... that's probably why they waited.

Never happened to me.

Fun to watch the pier runners, though. Some don't even run to make the ship. You can see them arguing with pier personnel about why they were too late to make the ship.

Can't quite understand it. If the ship is scheduled to leave the piet at 6, plan to be on board at 5, to make certain you don't miss the ship.

I like to have drinks. But again, if you're too drunk to make the ship, it's hard for me to "understand" why the entire ship should be held up for you because you're drunk and late.

Edited by graphicguy

Happened to a fellow passenger a few years ago on A Vancouver to LA cruise. Her husband missed the embarkment in Vancouver as his ferry from Victoria was cancelled. He was to meet her in Astoria but as he waited at the pier, the ship sailed by as it was unsafe to dock in the high winds. Poor woman had a lonely anniversary cruise even though we tried to cheer her up.

Sent from my GT-I5500M using Forums mobile app

We were on Princess in Estonia. Couldn't find the shuttle back to the ship so had to walk. We could see the ship but couldn't figure out how to get the gangplank. Finally found it and were running. I'm slower and told him to go without me. We made it, just at the name announcing moment. Never again. Go back early now. Always wonder if he had left me, would he have told the ship to wait? LOL

I missed the ship but not at a port stop. My flight was delayed and I missed my connection. I arrived at the port of embarkation (Copenhagen) 4 hours after the ship departed. I did have insurance and I was able to stay in a hotel go by train to the next port the following morning. It was actually a nice train trip, even if the train broke down too and we had to wait for another train to take us. Again, missed the connection but bless the Danes, they actually had taxis take us to the final destination. The ship was anchored so I had to go by tender with my bags. There was a ship's office waiting to greet me at the platform and he checked me in. I received a bottle of champagne as a way to say they were sorry for my misfortune, even if though they were in no way responsible. I was also credited for the missed day by the insurance. This was an adventure and turned out fine in the end. It was a fantastic cruise and everyone told me the port I missed was nothing special (Skagen, Denmark) especially when compared to the Norwegian fjords.

I find it interesting to see how many people have seen this occur, because in all my cruises, I never have. I've seen lots of pier runners, but never known of anyone to actually miss the ship. One time, I saw them pull the gangway, but have to put it back out for a runner before the ship was untied.

On one such occasion, while watching runners, we got to talking to a Carnival employee on an open deck. He had been working for Carnival for 10+ years (I forget the amount). He told me that he had never seen or heard of any guests getting left behind on all the ships he was on. He told me that they mainly just say they won't wait in order to scare people to be on time. Of course, I know that is not true because I've heard of many people missing the ship.

Say, for example, the gangway is pulled and the ship is untied and beginning to pull away but still just a few feet from the pier when a runner come up. Would they pull back and let a runner on then?

I find it interesting to see how many people have seen this occur, because in all my cruises, I never have. I've seen lots of pier runners, but never known of anyone to actually miss the ship. One time, I saw them pull the gangway, but have to put it back out for a runner before the ship was untied.

On one such occasion, while watching runners, we got to talking to a Carnival employee on an open deck. He had been working for Carnival for 10+ years (I forget the amount). He told me that he had never seen or heard of any guests getting left behind on all the ships he was on. He told me that they mainly just say they won't wait in order to scare people to be on time. Of course, I know that is not true because I've heard of many people missing the ship.

Say, for example, the gangway is pulled and the ship is untied and beginning to pull away but still just a few feet from the pier when a runner come up. Would they pull back and let a runner on then?

There's only one way to find out if they would...

Seriously though - there's no concrete answer. I would bet that, more often than not, if they were already pushing away they would continue to do so.

On my cruise last week there were pier runners as we were getting ready to leave Skagway. The crew was impatient but waited. The people were about 5 minutes later than "back on board" time which was still 30 minutes before departure time.

In Juneau a couple (honeymooners) were left behind when the private car they rented broke down. They apparently had called the ship and were far enough away that the ship could not wait for them without it causing the ship to be late to its next port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in port with another carnival ship docked right next to us. A guy asked me what time sail away was and I told him. Since the dock served both ships as he walked away I asked which ship he was on. He gave the other ships name. And of course there as a large sign showing that ship left 2 hours before ours. Hope he figured it out and got back.

I cruise a lot with some friends of mine. Not only are we a fun group, but since I don't drink alcohol (diabetic), part of my "job" when we cruise is to make sure everyone in my party gets back to the ship in time. Most of the time I cruise with these 4 ladies, we are part of a group cruise. SOMEHOW, it seems the ENTIRE group watches for when we are leaving this one bar, because they know it's time to go back when we are leaving so they will not miss the ship!!! I laugh most of the time, except for once-- one group had asked me what time we were leaving, and I told them, and said that our shuttle would be picking us up right across the street at that appointed time. Well, we start our walk across the street, even though we don't see our shuttle. And WHY isn't our shuttle across the street?? The group I spoke to STOLE our shuttle!!! They actually left 5 minutes before we did and got in and made the shuttle take them back to the pier.. although they DID send the shuttle back to come and get us..

When we were on our Baltic cruise we were informed it had happened on every one theyd done for that season.

We were waiting for 5 people in Warnemunde and they were 20 minutes late. Finally they arrived and it was a couple with 3 kids under 4/5. The parents looked stressed and as people were shouting and clapping the 2 older kids waved and thought they were film stars or something......bless.

Would have been tricky if they missed it as we had a sea day the next day.

When we were on our Baltic cruise we were informed it had happened on every one theyd done for that season.

We were waiting for 5 people in Warnemunde and they were 20 minutes late. Finally they arrived and it was a couple with 3 kids under 4/5. The parents looked stressed and as people were shouting and clapping the 2 older kids waved and thought they were film stars or something......bless.

Would have been tricky if they missed it as we had a sea day the next day.

Normally you wouldn't expect a family to be the late ones. How cute that the children thought they were stars.