Not so live from the Zuiderdam -- Day 1, May 31

bumperoo

Warning -- I do a detailed travel log for the benefit of me and my husband. I write things that may seem trivial but they help us relive our trip when our minds get a little foggy. So if you want to sail along with me -- here is day 1 on the Zuiderdam -- Niorth to Alaska! If I can, I 'll answer any questions about our experiences.

In preparation for our trip I spent hours and hours reading the Holland America boards. It helped me plan and gave me a hint of what was in store when It would finally be my turn to live the dream! I thank the entire community for your tips and guidance. I was so prepared with advance knowledge and was able to hit the ground running.

This trip was a bucket list adventure that I shared with my best friend and husband of forty years. I will enjoy my 60th birthday in a few months and it was an easy decision to celebrate by heading to Alaska on our second cruise ever! We had taken the kids on Disney's Big Red Boat over 30 years ago. So to say I was excited is an understatement for sure.

We had spent the night in Vancouver since we were flying from Philadelphia and I wasn't taking any chances on missing the boat. We woke up early due to the time change and just a wee bit of excitement. The hotel, Best Western Plus Downtown, offered a free shuttle to Canada Place at 10:00. It was a short ten minute ride and after dropping off a few Princess cruisers, we were handing our bags off to the stevedores. The lines at customs looked worse than they really were and we were standing at the HAL check-in desk after only thirty minutes. Our welcome packet included our stateroom keys and a map of the ship. We had booked aft cabin 5187 and turned down an upsell because we really wanted to experience life on board in that cabin. We were informed that boarding would begin at 11:30, so that meant we had an hour to wait. The time passed quickly, as I amused myself chatting with neighbors and snapping pictures, and studying the schematic of the ship. The waiting area isn't the most comfortable since you are sitting on metal chairs, but I looked at it as part of the total experience.

We didn't need to visit the table that was set up for declaring bottles of wine. We had the Signature Beverage cards as part of our package and figured that fifteen drinks a day would be more than we needed. My husband is primarily a beer drinker and I knew I would be able to find something to enjoy whenever I needed or wanted a cocktail.

As promised, boarding commenced at 11:30. People who needed assistance went first, then suite guests and then all the people like us! We were in the fourth row and we mooed a few times while walking up the gang plank. I marveled at how efficiently we were ushered onto the ship. Every HAL person we passed, welcomed us on board and asked if we needed any help finding our way. We walked the long hallway and opened our door for the first glimpse of our new home. I was so happy with our cabin. It was roomier than I expected and the verandah was perfect!! We had two loungers, two chairs, and two tables. It was perfect. Lou managed to stay out of my way while I snapped pictures of the cabin and our view. The air conditioner was cranking, the toilet was flushing, there was ice in our bucket -- Life is Good!

We had the Explore 4 promotion. Our signature beverage package cards were waiting on the bed along with an invitation to dine in the Pinnacle that night at 6:00 -- which worked for us! We figured our first dinner would be romantic and a good way to start our vacation. I stowed my valuables in the safe, grabbed my camera and set off to get acquainted with the beloved Zuiderdam.

We were hungry and decided to find the Lido dining room. Thanks to advice from Roger (Crew News), we knew to occupy a table and take turns getting our lunch. Crew News was kind enough to e-mail me countless tidbits of information which I dubbed my Rogerisms. The list was jam packed with info that kept even a novice HAL cruiser like me one step ahead of the crowd!

Lou set off to fill his plate while I activated our beverage cards. We had to give the server our room keys and beverage cards the first use but only needed the beverage cards for any subsequent ordering. There are six Alaskan Beers in bottles available: Alaskan Amber, Summer Ale, New Free Ride American Pale Ale, Alaskan White Ale, Icy Bay IPA, and Hopothermia Double IPA (priced between $5.25 and $6.25). The Summer Ale and Amber are available in draft also for $5.95 single or $19.99 pitcher. Buckets of beer (5 in a bucket) were priced $20-$22. Other beers we saw were Boddingtons, Guiness, Molson, Corona, Bud, Coors, Miller, Stella Artois, Amstel, Becks, Heinecken and Grolsch -- all priced under $6.95. Lou was one happy guy and looking forward to many tastes of Alaska. They had two non-alcoholic offerings Sharp's and Buckler for $3.95. There is a booklet with pages and pages of mixed drinks and fancy cocktails for $6.95 which all qualify as part of the SBP.

The Lido was pretty crowded but we were able to navigate and find lots of things pleasing to our tastebuds. Lou couldn't resist the pizza and enjoyed it enough to keep going back for more throughout the cruise. I loved the fried chicken and the tilapia but the menu changed each day so if you like something a lot be a bit of a piggy because chances are you won't see that entree again. There was always some sort of chicken, fish, pork and beef at the Bistro line. The Asian offerings varied each day and the made to order Italian dishes filled the air with enticing aromas. The deli had a sandwich of the day but you could order up your choice of meats and rolls and trimmings.

After lunch, we went to our cabin and at 1:15 found our luggage waiting for us. We spent a half hour looking in nooks and crannies to find secret places to store our belongings. There are two drawers at the bottom of the bed under the skirt. Drawers were also under the sofa. You can fit your suitcases under the bed and there are lots of hangers provided. I had brought a pop-up hamper that helped keep the room neat and a pop-up drawer that kept our desk top clear. I also brought a magnetic clip and kept our On Location Bulletin and invites handy right at the door.

Our first activity was meeting our Cruise Director Hamish for the ship tour. Hamish really made our trip special. He remembered our names and has a great sense of humor. By the end of the cruise we found ourselves enthusiastically finishing all good things with a WOO HOO! The tour was a fun way to meet our cruise companions and get a feel for where everything was.

We went to meet our On Location Guide Alana iin the Queen's Lounge. Her "Smooth Sailing Presentation" gave lots of tips about the ship and the ports we would be visiting. I recommend making time for these talks as they really helped us get to know the crew and be informed.

We returned to our cabin to get ready for the Muster Drill. It was pretty painless and luckily we knew NOT to wear our life jackets like some passengers. Our lifeboat crew did a great job and we were drilled and feeling safe in no time at all.

We went out on deck for a glorious sail away. The sun was shining brightly as we passed under Lion's Gate Bridge -- the HAL Cats were playing sail away songs, flashbulbs were flashing, laughter filled the air, and we watched the ever changing scenery pass in every direction. I had to pinch myself and make sure that this was real and I wasn't dreaming.

Lou had to pry me away from the railing so that we could get ready for our Pinnacle dinner! We showered and got fancy and arrived for what would be a culinary delight! We feasted on a grilled to perfection scallop compliments of our server while we perused the menu. We started our fine dining experience with Lobster bisque. Our waiter spooned chunks of lobster meat in the bowl and then poured a delicate broth over it. Next course, Dungeness crab cakes that were full of crab and no filler. My husband and I usually try to agree on two entrees that interest us and share them so we get more tastes. We shared a grilled shrimp and halibut for our surf and split the 23 ounce porterhouse steak for our turf -- cooked to a perfect medium. It was tender and delicious. We finished with Creme brûlée, chocolate lava cake, Irish coffee and Mexican coffee. Service impeccable and food that dazzled our taste buds and eyeballs. It all looked so pretty -- almost too pretty to eat -- almost!

We had checked sunset time --9:08. We headed to the Crow's nest for our bird's eye view. Mary is the guitar player in the evenings and she has an amazing voice -- I could hear Stevie Nix in her voice. She was quirky and accommodating and happy to take requests. We were mesmerized by the colors on the changing horizon. The sun sank into the water and I'm not ashamed to confess that I cried. The beauty of that moment is forever etched in my mind. I will never forget that first sunset!

There are so many entertainment options that our heads were spinning. Hamish had suggested going to the "Listen to the Music" Show, and he did not steer us wrong. We were able to get a taste of what entertainers would be with us throughout the week.

After the show, we went to the piano bar to listen to Jeremy. He played and encouraged singing along. We had a nightcap -- grabbed a to go drink and headed back to our room.

We returned to our cabin and found our ninja steward had been in to freshen up the bathroom, give us new towels, turn down our bed, leave chocolates on our pillow, a towel animal to bid goodnight, ice in our bucket and our mail and On Location ready and waiting for us.

We stepped onto our balcony and breathed in the fresh air. The stars were twinkling ever so brightly. I made a wish and said good night to the moon. My dreams tonight were filled with reliving a day I had waited my whole life for.

We were hungry and decided to find the Lido dining room. Thanks to advice from Roger (Crew News), we knew to occupy a table and take turns getting our lunch. Crew News was kind enough to e-mail me countless tidbits of information which I dubbed my Rogerisms. The list was jam packed with info that kept even a novice HAL cruiser like me one step ahead of the crowd!

Glad you got a good head start with my tips. Please let me know if any did not prove to be correct so that I can update my list.

Your review was excellent and should be very helpful to those who follow on the Zuiderdam. I posted a reference to your review on our 12 July Westerdam Roll Call, where reviews were being discussed, as an example of a really good one.

I look forward to more information and impressions of your HAL experience.

Edited by Crew News

Really enjoying all the details and looking forward to the next episode.:) I've learned lots on here too, and especially from some great people on the Alaska board.

Edited by Marco's Tia

Great review ! We sail in a few weeks - so excited! How do we get the "Rogerisms"?? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will ask Hubby (Crew News) to post them in a new thread. Hopefully he will agree to do so. I know he loves to pass them along, but he might have a tendency to be hesitant to start a new thread just for his "Rogerisms".

He is still sleeping and I'll ask him when he wakes.

Bumperoo, I am so glad that you soooooooooooo loved your cruise on my favorite HAL ship and to the place I love the most in the world, Alaska!!! Cannot wait to read more of your cruise and to enjoy it through your words:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Since I read the "tip" about feeding seagulls from the balcony in Glacier Bay, and knowing that is a total no-no, I went to the Alaska board and got all my info from there. There's a poster over there with tons of good info. Just a suggestion.

I will ask Hubby (Crew News) to post them in a new thread. Hopefully he will agree to do so. I know he loves to pass them along, but he might have a tendency to be hesitant to start a new thread just for his "Rogerisms".

He is still sleeping and I'll ask him when he wakes.

Bumperoo, I am so glad that you soooooooooooo loved your cruise on my favorite HAL ship and to the place I love the most in the world, Alaska!!! Cannot wait to read more of your cruise and to enjoy it through your words:)

Joanie

just a thought for U and your DH - why not send them in to halfacts.com?

Then they would be there for anyone. U get credit for what U send in from what I have seen. It is a good site - have U seen it?

just a thought for U and your DH - why not send them in to halfacts.com?

Then they would be there for anyone. U get credit for what U send in from what I have seen. It is a good site - have U seen it?

Ooo! Good idea!

Great review ! We sail in a few weeks - so excited! How do we get the "Rogerisms"?? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Rogerisms" is a collection of my personal thoughts and suggestions for new HAL cruisers that I was asked to provide to Bumperoo. Some of the tips may not match those presented by others and thus may spark controversy on CC.

Since I am very familiar with the "political correctness" issues on this forum and in an effort to avoid quibbling, I will not be posting my "Rogerisms".

You can receive a copy by contacting me through a Contact Form on my website and I will email you the current version.

"Rogerisms" is a collection of my personal thoughts and suggestions for new HAL cruisers that I was asked to provide to Bumperoo. Some of the tips may not match those presented by others and thus may spark controversy on CC.

Since I am very familiar with the "political correctness" issues on this forum and in an effort to avoid quibbling, I will not be posting my "Rogerisms".

You can receive a copy by contacting me through a Contact Form on my website and I will email you the current version.

You actually have a document of your "tips"? How interesting.

Back to the original topic of this post....

Thanks for the detailed account. Since I've had to cancel my 2014 Alaska cruise, I appreciate you letting my live vicariously through your stories. I can't wait to hear more.

Back to the original topic of this post....

Thanks for the detailed account. Since I've had to cancel my 2014 Alaska cruise, I appreciate you letting my live vicariously through your stories. I can't wait to hear more.

Day two and three are posted in separate threads so you can read them right now if you go looking for them.

You actually have a document of your "tips"? How interesting.

Yes' date=' and they are very helpful - perfectly in line with what I have read in a thousand posts on the boards [including the Alaska and HAL boards'] - in one succinct format....

Doesn't halfacts.com also share information outside of CC?

Yes, but you don't have to request an email for the information. It's there for all the CC members or anyone who wants information on HAL. No hoops to go through, just visit the website.

Yes, but you don't have to request an email for the information. It's there for all the CC members or anyone who wants information on HAL. No hoops to go through, just visit the website.

I understand but my point was that the info on halfacts.com is outside of CC.