who cares about the CD?

topofE

It doesn't make a difference to me if they are so so but if they are great and really seem to enjoy their job then it can't help but make me feel a happy person and it brightens my day.

I can't remember most of the CD's I've had but 2 that really impressed me were Willy, a pom who was on the pacific jewel but now with carnival and recently on the dream. The other is Eli a Kiwi who is on the Spirit.

I agree... I am my own cruise director and I Don't Care who is the CD on a ship.

Bingo! Same here! I direct my own cruise. I couldn't care less if they even had a cruise director on board. However, I do understand the need for there to be one.

I guess some people need to be "led", and there certainly are some talented CDs out there who can do it very well.

Looks like the majority of cruisers don't care who the Cruise Director is and that surprises me. I think you would have this opinion until you come across an outstanding Cruise Director and then your view point would change. I have been on 17 Carnival cruises and would give the Outstanding Award to about 6 of the Cruise Directors. I remember them and still talk about them. The others were average and quite frankly forgotten. Like lawyers, doctors and business men, there are good ones and some not so good.

There is one who is usually on ships out of Galveston, can't remember his name. He plays a hot fiddle and participates and plays in some of the ship's shows. He also participates and play in the guest's talent show. Last time I saw him was on the Ecstasy when it was out of Galveston. He's probably on the 4 and 5 day cruises from Galveston now.

I too, interact quite a lot with the entertainment staff, and the cruise director. I sing, and usually participate in the shows. IMO, some of the better C.D.'s are Butch Begovitch, John Heald, and Steve Cassel. There are others that measure up too, but I haven't sailed with them lately, so they don't immediately come to mind.

I can understand why the average cruiser could care less, but the C.D. does have a lot to do, and does indeed, have a lot to do with your onboard experience. ;)

"SKY"

I too, interact quite a lot with the entertainment staff, and the cruise director. I sing, and usually participate in the shows. IMO, some of the better C.D.'s are Butch Begovitch, John Heald, and Steve Cassel. There are others that measure up too, but I haven't sailed with them lately, so they don't immediately come to mind.

I can understand why the average cruiser could care less, but the C.D. does have a lot to do, and does indeed, have a lot to do with your onboard experience. ;)

"SKY"

We used to be told that most of the CD's function was behind the scenes, scheduling all the activities and entertainment. But that's been removed from them and now falls under the new directors of entertainment.

There is one who is usually on ships out of Galveston, can't remember his name. He plays a hot fiddle and participates and plays in some of the ship's shows. He also participates and play in the guest's talent show. Last time I saw him was on the Ecstasy when it was out of Galveston. He's probably on the 4 and 5 day cruises from Galveston now.

I think you are referring to Steve Cassel and he is also on my list of outstanding CD's.

It was Butch, when he was on the Glory, who first made an impression on me--a good CD can actually make a good cruise an even better one! He knew so many cruisers names it was remarkable. It was my 12th cruise and the CD never really mattere much. Butch gets very involved and he's having so much fun it rubs off on everyone.

John changed it up on the Legend the one time I saw him. Steve on the Paradise plays a great fiddle and can juggle with the best of them, but not so much personaility as the CD.

I can't remember the CD's name on my recent Legend trip but he was really good. Made one announcement reminding cruisers not to take food, 'including cabbage' ashore when in port...HUH? Had to laugh when I heard so many people talking about not bringing food stuffs on shore--at least he got them to listen! His assistant Mike is really jockeying for a CD position and I'll bet it won't be lone. He too was great.

I never paid attention to who the CD was. Then on the Legend we had Wee Jimmy. He was awesome. Our port time in grand cayman was cancelled due to weather & he made it seamless & fun to have another sea day . He sounds like a cross between Mrs. Doubtfire & Shrek when making announcements. He wasn't too intrusive with multiple announcements, just enough to keep us informed! Loved him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by fla_momuv3

I guess we care because we've really liked our CDs up to this point. On our first cruise, our CD was a youngish (mid-20s maybe?) aged British guy named George who had sky high blonde hair and a thing for leopard print pants. He was really funny and quirky. On our second cruise, we had Jen Baxter who we just freaking adored. :) I know she's not everybody's cup of tea, but we like her and I get the feeling DH would follow her just about anywhere she sailed. LOL

The one cruise director I remember was Matt on the Carnival Glory last summer.

We sailed a 5 day to Canada and some of the best times we had were his music trivia 'games'.

He was amazing with his comedy, interaction with the passengers, and the music was great!

The crowds were really big and he had everyone rocking and singing. On other ships it has usually been 'meh'. ;)

I do realize that they work really hard and do a lot that we will never see. Got to remember they are in charge

of our entertainment so maybe knowing who the really good memorable ones are can make for a better cruise. :)

A great CD can make a good trip even better. A lousy one can cloud it a bit. Most are somewhere in between it seems therefore most don't care.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've been on cruises with forgettable CDs, but I can't tell you how excited I was when I looked at the 1st Fun Times of our last cruise and found out Josh "Big Sexy" Waitzman was the CD. He was the ACD when we sailed the Miracle in 08 and fortunately the promotion hadn't changed him. We reintroduced ourselves and everytime we saw him again he was nothing less than super friendly, like he was hosting a party and was so glad everybody came.

We cruise frequently and have sailed with many CDs, some temporary fill in ACDs, some floating CDs, and many with their own ship. Some are good friends who we know well and are happy to see us. There are also many we barely know and who don't know us from Adam.

A great CD will improve the cruise experience, but in our opinion, a bad one will not ruin it. We often know the entertainment staff better than the CD. But for many cruisers, who don't attend activities, the entertainment staff is unimportant. It all depends on your priorities and what you prefer to do on your cruise.

I have only 2 to remember of 7-8 cruises since 1980. The two recent being Carnival one's and why I stay here keeping going on a cruise alive..LOL....one was too "who hoooy" and goofy for my personal tastes but..he was always around and really tried hard and was new to that level and think he was fine.

The second and was really good..just a quiet smile honestly enjoying the other's happiness and really talked up the "real dance and real new oufits and real band" show on Spirit just before it went to Australia.. He had real polish and pizazz and respect and really tried to make people get the most out of the experience with only a 5 day cruise..he was great at..teaching the enjoyment of cruising..a great asset for the ship going to Aussie land I am sure..

I am independent enough it does not matter unless someone is really bad as Serene has just shared...

They are like the the "fancy camp counselor" that is in charge and if they are bad or just give a total do not care attitude..it brings the ship camaraderie down...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Correct-- I never cared until I got a CD that was filling in for someone. (and had his girlfriend on the ship that week. It was the most boring week I ever had on a cruise ship. Now I ask to find out who -- and will NEVER sail with a fill in again.

Cruise directors are the ones to fill in all the entertainment spots

That happened to us once and the same week the asst CD was off. Entertainment staff had to do the work and they were not happy about it.

I don't care at all. We did have big sexy josh on the last cruise and he was pretty good. Had Jamie on the dream and she was quite boring I thought. Actually didn't lay eyes on her until debarkation. I would like to sail with John heald. I love his sense of humor.

I, too, would love to sail with John Heald.