What do you shop for in port?

DH shops for hot sauce!! He has his favorite Caribbean vendors that he does back to everytime we visit that port. Usually these are not commercial type hot sauces - more small batch unique ones.

So are things cheaper in ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many things can be significantly cheaper in some ports where you can shop duty free. The key is to know what you want, what is the best price you can find stateside and how to be sure you are getting the genuine thing, not a cheap counterfeit.

Jewelry and watches are probably the number one thing people shop for...at least as to what I have seen. Personally, my DW and I have found some great prices on jewelry...and I have snagged an excellent price on a watch. The other things that I see a lot of people shopping for are purses and handbags (Coach, Vera Bradley, etc), liquor, perfume and other "big ticket" items.

Nowadays, all we shop for are souvenirs.

So are things cheaper in ports?

Depends on port, St Thomas has some good deal on Jewelery, many of the islands have some good deal on liquour , I like buying some liquor that is not sold in the USA, such as white hennessy .

Jewelry, watches. Usually end up buying silver depending on the port.

Maybe a few unique souvenirs, but must be small.

Oh yeah, christmas ornaments, as mentioned above.

If locally made.

Edited by m*u*g*

Not much! We aren't into "souveniers...and since we have to fly to most ports, bring back liquor is way too much trouble!

I'd rather purchase my nice jewelry near home, so I know where to take it if something goes wrong!

Jewelry of course lol. We've bought jewelry on every cruise and never had a problem with any of it.

In St. Thomas we've also bought cameras and linens.

In Jamaica, we buy Blue Mountain Coffee. We'll be back in Nov to stock up.:D

In several ports, t-shirts.

And at least one magnet from every port.

Edited by BND

...painted tiles

That reminds me of our Med cruise a few years back. We bought some painted tiles in Barcelona - one with the letter W, one with the letter C, and one each of a male and female figure. When we got home we made a little sign for above our powder room and it looks great! Lots of fun, and nice memories. :)