New Balcony No Smoking Solution suggested to Holland America

soccerpapi

I sent an email to Holland America concerning my suggestion for a new solution to no smoking on balconies on Holland America ships.

I was pleasantly surprised that I received a response from Holland America stating they would seriously consider it.

I proposed that Holland America make one side of the ship non smoking on balconies and charge 10 percent more for those cabins.

10 percent more than the balcony cabins that allow smoking on them seems like a good deal for those who want to insure that they have a smoke free environment.

It sure sounds like a great idea so that the passengers that would like a smoke free environment that they will be guaranteed one.

It's really nice that Holland America is considering my suggestion.

soccer

I sent an email to Holland America concerning my suggestion for a new solution to no smoking on balconies on Holland America ships.

I was pleasantly surprised that I received a response from Holland America stating they would seriously consider it.

I proposed that Holland America make one side of the ship non smoking on balconies and charge 10 percent more for those cabins.

10 percent more than the balcony cabins that allow smoking on them seems like a good deal for those who want to insure that they have a smoke free environment.

It sure sounds like a great idea so that the passengers that would like a smoke free environment that they will be guaranteed one.

soccer

Why would you charge 10% more for smokers. Why don't you charge an extra 10% for anyone who is over 250 pounds for a food surcharge? Makes no sense.

Why would you charge 10% more for smokers. Why don't you charge an extra 10% for anyone who is over 250 pounds for a food surcharge? Makes no sense.

The OP is suggesting charging that the NS section carry a 10% surcharge.

Actually now that I think about it Carnival did something along those lines years ago when they introduced "spa cabins" on the newer ships. The entire spa cabin area including balconies was smoke free. The result was people would pay a premium for spa cabins to make sure they were not bothered by smoke. I'm not sure but I believe Costa has the same policy for spa cabins.

HAL has spa cabins (sold at a higher rate) that offer a table top fountain, yoga mat and water, but its still ok to smoke on the balcony. I do think people would book spa cabins to insure no smoking but at this point HAL is just waiting to make a no smoking announcement fleet wide. I'm guessing 2016.

I don't think a surcharge is needed for anyone. However, it would be fun to try the smoking on one side and non-smoking on the other-what a headache that would be to enforce. I can see people complaining about that though too because one side probably has the better "sights to see"! Will be a whole other discussion about that.:eek: The non-smokers have the better side. No, the smokers have the better side.....uggg...:)

I do think HAL is watching what the other cruise lines are doing and it wouldn't surprise me if they change their policy in 2015 or by 2016.

I'd gladly pay a 10% surcharge to escape folks like the cigar smoker a couple trips ago who was out polluting the air as early as 0630.

And just as an aside re balcony issues.... heads up to those who book them that at certain times of the day, with the sun aligned just right, the glass partition acts as a mirror, as we learned last trip when we were treated to a disturbing full frontal exhibition by the guy in the balcony next door, who was out admiring the view au naturel.... so please, if you're headed out to the balcony, get some clothes on!

Sure. They filed it in the 'round' file but they are considering it.

Make no mistake. The writing is on the wall-it is simply a matter of time before HAL joins the rest of the mass market lines on this policy.

We are not bothered either way so we do not really have an axe to grind.

Instead of a 10% surcharge for balcony cabins/suites on a nonsmoking side of the ship ... perhaps a 75% up charge for similar accommodations on the smoking side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

Edited by pms4104

soccer

A very bad idea, pax should have the right to choose what side they prefer, they're paying for it, get rid of the cancer completely, No Smoking or stay home..

A very bad idea, pax should have the right to choose what side they prefer, they're paying for it, get rid of the cancer completely, No Smoking or stay home..

Stay home??? There are other alternatives, you know. I generally do 3 trips a year but usually only 1 cruise. We have lots of choices and HAL knows this.

Asking for one side of the ship to be all smoking and the other side be non smoking is a bunch of crap. There are some of us who prefer a certain side of the ship. .

Do you mind if I ask why? It really doesn't matter to me which side I'm on, so rather curious why you feel strongly about it.

While they are at it, why not charge people who bring more than one suitcase per person on board a fee to cover the extra fuel cost? Or perhaps a fee for those who want to go back to the buffet several times at each meal?

Since people are requesting non smoking balconies I would think they would be willing to pay for them. If you don't want to pay more to be on the non smoking side, that is no problem and will be just the way it is now.

I am just trying to help people that want non smoking balconies achieve their goal. I am only trying to help you out with a reasonable suggestion that Holland America seems to think makes sense.

soccer

Just a test

HAL should take one cruise on every ship advertise it as a (NO SMOKING TRIP).

Now compare it to a smoking trip and compare the bottom line.

The Statendam & Oosterdam are doing the same trip in AK. right now make one a smoking & one non-smoking see which sells the best.

I know the NON-Smokers will not bend! But those that wish to smoke on their baloney would book a cruise time & ship that would allow them to smoke.

They have nude a cruise! why not a smoking cruise?

So let say that the last week of the month could be a smoking is ok trip.

I KNOW, I KNOW that this will not solve everything like the longer cruises!

No one should be a second class citizen.

Just a test

The Statendam & Oosterdam are doing the same trip in AK. right now make one a smoking & one non-smoking see which sells the best.

I know the NON-Smokers will not bend! But those that wish to smoke on their baloney would book a cruise time & ship that would allow them to smoke.

What :eek:, I need to hear more about that!

What :eek:, I need to hear more about that!

It's done as a full ship charter. Last one was on the EDam I believe.

Info here www curisenude dot com

Edited by HamOp

Do you mind if I ask why? It really doesn't matter to me which side I'm on, so rather curious why you feel strongly about it.

I also feel strongly to be on port side.

Call it habit, tradition or whatever but out of a great many cruises, DH and I were in a starboard cabin maybe only 2 or 3 times at most and that only because no port were available when we booked late.

Just a test

This test fails before it begins as you would be comparing two different classes of ships. Some will select one over the other based only on size and venues one offers or does not offer.

This test fails before it begins as you would be comparing two different classes of ships. Some will select one over the other based only on size and venues one offers or does not offer.

Exactly :D

We were docked beside Princess this Spring and I snapped this picture. At first I couldn't figure out why people including some crew were gathering there? Then, I realized it was a smoking area. I don't know if it was a designated area or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405098869.585698.jpg.648dd76b8cc61abb81d29374c8d2e958.jpg

I don't smoke, I am just trying to help out those who would like the balconies be non smoking.

If you have no problem with the current rule, you can book on the side that allows smoking without any increase in cruise fare.

Don't think I want you to be forced to pay more for what is already in place. I am just to trying to help you out. This solves your problem with smoking on balconies, as many of you have requested. Hopefully Holland America will implement this soon so that your request is honored. 10 percent is a reasonable amount considering they would be reserving half the ship's balconies for you as non smoking.

Again, I am just trying to help you out.

soccer

I don't smoke, I am just trying to help out those who would like the balconies be non smoking.

If you have no problem with the current rule, you can book on the side that allows smoking without any increase in cruise fare.

Don't think I want you to be forced to pay more for what is already in place. I am just to trying to help you out. This solves your problem with smoking on balconies, as many of you have requested. Hopefully Holland America will implement this soon so that your request is honored. 10 percent is a reasonable amount considering they would be reserving half the ship's balconies for you as non smoking.

Again, I am just trying to help you out.

soccer

You are trying to help non smokers out how? By charging them more? I wouldn't wait by the phone for them to call. Do you seriously believe that they are considering this? If so, I have some swampland that I want to sell you.

Edited by cruz chic