LIVE from the Noordam-- a Disasterdam

cruiser4801

There does appear to be an overload of ships in the Med and increasing year by year. Prices do seem to be very competitive (cheap as OP said) and I wonder if that's because Brits (and other Europeans) are not massive cruisers?

From reading CC I see the majority of Americans seem to favour Alaska, Caribbean or East Coast cruises because they no longer enjoy flying so if prices are not cut how else will they fill these ships and entice new cruisers?

I know many people who have never cruised and others who just do an occasional cruise in between other types of travel. It just doesn't seem to appeal to the masses for whatever reason.

I wonder if part of what got OP's nose out of joint was the fact that many of those Europeans who bothered him were able to take a train or bus to the port rather than a trans-Atlantic flight (the cost of which might have figured into his $17,000). That's the trouble with travelling - sometimes you run into people a bit different - reminds me of a great line in a movie: a stuffy Brit was complaining about international competitions because they tended to attract foreigners.

Of course it is possible for a machine to fail and to be waiting for parts. But an advertised amenity should work for at least the majority of a cruise. The OP said no effort has been made by the staff to provide the same service in a workaround way.

Noting that HAL does not have sufficient deck security and patrol is merely an observation. It is not HAL's fault a thief exists. But if their deck patrol were more vigilant perhaps such issues wouldn't occur. Nothing about their post makes me suspect. They have legitimate gripes, concerns, and experiences that they are sharing with others. Can't just white wash over that and dismiss their entire post because of an observation.

Great post. I agree.

We were on the Noordam for the May 29th sailing...also in a Neptune Suite (7068). Our cabin stewards were fantastic. Our cabin was in great shape. The Neptune Lounge concierges, Homer and Celine, were dynamite. We only ate in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast but the service was quick and attentive. We used the laundry service many times with fantastic results and a very fast turnaround. There were no air conditioning issues or plumbing issues during the entire 11 day cruise. Sure, the cushions on the balcony furniture weren't brand new but who would expect such a thing? I didn't see any rips or tears in ours. Heck, they are left outside all the time...one should expect some fading, etc.

OP - sorry you're not enjoying your trip. My friend cruised on the Noordam a year ago and said the ship did look tired - not a disaster - just tired. I'm not sure who sold you a bill of goods about HAL being a "luxury line." It's not. Just as Princess isn't. I understand your frustration about the fare situation but them the breaks. I once sailed on a 11 or 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise on Cunard. I was talking to another solo cruiser and she paid 1/2 of what I paid (she booked two days before the cruise). I did feel a rush of hotness race to my cheeks but it soon dissipated. You must be happy with the rate you pay at the time you book OR DON'T BOOK IT!!! And never talk to other paxs about their fares now - it will only lead to heavy drinking and weeping! Hope the rest of your cruise is better.

Edited by CI66774

I have just spent some time over on the Member Review section reading reviews of the Noordam since it has been in the Mediterranean this season.

Now I do understand that people tend to write reviews more often when they are unhappy rather than when they have had a good cruise. However, the overwhelming consensus of those reviews are negative. Almost all of them report slow dining room service, AC problems, unhappy staff, tired looking ship and poor response when service issue is reported.

While I usually take one bad review with a grain of salt, when I read the same thing over and over, I say "everyone cannot be wrong".

I have sailed on the Noordam several times and really enjoyed my cruises on her. As a matter of fact on our last cruise on her we had a situation that the GRM bent over backwards to resolve.

I am looking forward to my next cruise and will go with an open mind. However, these negative reviews do tend to give me pause.

Terri

Oh gosh, I have just booked my first HAL cruise, to the Carribbean - I'm now worried that being a European I won't be very welcome!:mad:

No No - no worries. This was 1 person's opinion and we have many, many European friends we met on cruises. You will be warmly welcomed by other cruisers! Think she was complaining about the 'locals' getting a lower price at the last minute - which happens in every country when a ship sails. The Noordam just happened to be sailing from a European port. Deep discounts happen in the US all the time for HAL sailings from US ports. Have seen a 14-day HAL Caribbean cruise go for $500 for an obstructed view cabin 2 days before sailing! (only know this as there were about 20 ladies who took advantage of the last minute fare and bragged about it around the pool).

I have no worries about cruising on Noordam in about 280 days. I will not let one report bother me since I know that different strokes for different folks is the norm, at least for me it is:)

Heck, I might just make some more friends of all "those" Europeans and any others that buy their cruises at a lower/bargain basement rate than I do.:D

Joanie

Not true at all. This is one thing of the OP's review that I did not like. I felt like this was a dig at Europeans.:(

Holland America sails the world, not North America. Diversity is what makes the cruises so wonderful - so many different people and cultures are part of what we enjoy.:D

Harbouring ill will for those who do not have to fly or have the flexibility to do the cruise easier last minute (assuming they did) in Europe is as silly as I harbouring ill will to Floridians , residents near Seattle, etc. who can snatch a lot of those cheap last minute deals.

We don't go around asking what other people paid and I would assume/hope that the OP does not either, so I suspect that is their best guess?

We're looking forward to our European Cruise in a few weeks. :D

Touche' Joannie & Kazu.. It was a dig at European's & we all should speak out & not tolerate this type of discrimination! That completely annoyed me & in my mind negated the entire post!...Heck, Holland America is actually a European Cruise Line, staffed by crew who live all over the world.. If those who live in Europe did pay bargain rates that's great.. At least HAL is filling their ships & stockholders are happy! BTW wonder how would the OP know what they paid?

I worked for a European Airline & when we visited our counterparts in Europe & many other places , we were treated like Kings & Queens!.. Some in my company who worked in other countries, were guests in our home too.. That reminds me about the man who asked a shopkeeper in Europe "What is this in real money!" Talk about being embarrassed by a fellow American..:o

Edited by serendipity1499

Have to love the complaint about things missing from public areas. Reminds me of a cruise in Asia where a ship mate left her IPhone on a chair in a vendor's stall to try on a sari in a very 3rd world country and when she later reached for her phone, was totally surprised it was gone. She complained / cried as 'everything' was on that phone, not only all her pictures but all her banking info and tons of other personal information - with no password controls! HAL let her call her service provider, her son and the banks, etc at no charge as a courtesy. She loudly complained for days that HAL should better police the vendors! Not that she took any responsibility!

I have just spent some time over on the Member Review section reading reviews of the Noordam since it has been in the Mediterranean this season.

Now I do understand that people tend to write reviews more often when they are unhappy rather than when they have had a good cruise. However, the overwhelming consensus of those reviews are negative. Almost all of them report slow dining room service, AC problems, unhappy staff, tired looking ship and poor response when service issue is reported.

While I usually take one bad review with a grain of salt, when I read the same thing over and over, I say "everyone cannot be wrong".

I have sailed on the Noordam several times and really enjoyed my cruises on her. As a matter of fact on our last cruise on her we had a situation that the GRM bent over backwards to resolve.

I am looking forward to my next cruise and will go with an open mind. However, these negative reviews do tend to give me pause.

Terri

Thoughtful, balanced post.

While it is easy to attack the OP for his/her remarks about Europeans and lack of responsibility in looking after personal belongings, the real problem that needs to be addressed is the issues with the Noordam.

This is not the first report of the poor service on the Noordam since the start of the Mediterranean season. Go to the Member Review section of Cruise Critic and you will read plenty of reviews that corroborate the OP's experience.

Terri

Watch out. Copper 10-8 will be along any minute to drink that water. Trust me, I know.

While the optimist and the pessimist were arguing over the glass of water being half full or half empty, the opportunist came along and drank it...:cool:

My family paid over $17,000 for a Neptune Suite for 22 days on the Noordam in the Mediterranean. We are on day 17 or so and this is by far the worst cruise we have ever been on. The ship is tired and beaten as is the crew. Service is failing everywhere on the ship. The espresso machine in the Pinnacle Grill has been broken for 15 days and no effort is made by the staff to get a specialty coffee elsewhere. The Maitre D has been absent on two of only 4 visits we have been made to the PG. We have found the PG staff to be among the least responsive anyhwhere and with an attitude to boost. The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge also broke down for 5 days. Laundry is returned with the same stains that ther were sent with. Getting our Signature Beverage Package Card took 4 days because we were told they were very expensive. After spending as much as we have on a Neptune Suite, the response was insulting.

The ship is full of Europeans that have been offered cut-rate deals to sail because there are not enough Americans, Canadians or Australians to fill the ship. This is not a luxury line by anyone's measure. The pool cushions are old and stained. The carpet throughout all areas is in dire need of replacement. The Noordam has seen better days. Cutbacks are evident since most passengers are locals who paid reduced rates. Pity those of us who paid full freight.

Personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found.

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity.

We were not on your cruise and cannot comment only to say we were on the Noordam for 25 nights in March and found the Noordam in good shape. The staff were very responsive to any concerns we had whilst on board, we did miss Captain Scott who was the Captain the previous year.

I finally had the chance to spend 20 minutes reading the Noordam member reviews that have been referenced. Wow- it does seem that something is not quite right. That's a lot of people with concerns- especially the number of people complaining about A/C issues. For me- that would be a nightmare.

There does appear to be an overload of ships in the Med and increasing year by year. Prices do seem to be very competitive (cheap as OP said) and I wonder if that's because Brits (and other Europeans) are not massive cruisers?

From reading CC I see the majority of Americans seem to favour Alaska, Caribbean or East Coast cruises because they no longer enjoy flying so if prices are not cut how else will they fill these ships and entice new cruisers?

I know many people who have never cruised and others who just do an occasional cruise in between other types of travel. It just doesn't seem to appeal to the masses for whatever reason.

Well, I guess DH and I are in the minority as well as some other cc friends that happily will go.

Hey, transatlantic flights are not fun but.....we add some pre cruise days to enjoy the port city a post cruise day or two to enjoy the port we arrive in.

Now, we will not fly and do a 7 day cruise, nor a 10 day.

We have to go for a minimum of 15 days and pre and post cruise days.

We have leaned now more to the 30 day trips in most cases mostly cruises.

That is where HAL excels IMO, especially the Prinsendam.

So, we are off in September to wonderful Europe for several weeks in a row:D

Humble apologies on behalf of us Europeans. Hope you managed to enjoy some of our humble lands.

How could anyone not enjoy your beautiful lands??? The history, the culture, the fabulous people:D

Many of us drool with anticipation for our chance to see your lovely countries and the joy of meeting the wonderful people that live there.

Please don't let one person's review tarnish us all.

There is no apology necessary. It is we who should be grateful for your wonderful hospitality that I have seen in so many places in Europe.:D

Edited by kazu

Well, I guess DH and I are in the minority as well as some other cc friends that happily will go.

Hey, transatlantic flights are not fun but.....we add some pre cruise days to enjoy the port city a post cruise day or two to enjoy the port we arrive in.

Now, we will not fly and do a 7 day cruise, nor a 10 day.

We have to go for a minimum of 15 days and pre and post cruise days.

We have leaned now more to the 30 day trips in most cases mostly cruises.

That is where HAL excels IMO, especially the Prinsendam.

So, we are off in September to wonderful Europe for several weeks in a row:D

How could anyone not enjoy your beautiful lands??? The history, the culture, the fabulous people:D

Many of us drool with anticipation for our chance to see your lovely countries and the joy of meeting the wonderful people that live there.

Please don't let one person's review tarnish us all.

There is no apology necessary. It is we who should be grateful for your wonderful hospitality that I have seen in so many places in Europe.:D

I believe the person you quoted was being sarcastic.

I believe the person you quoted was being sarcastic.

of course they were, and I can't blame them one bit.

My message was not to colour us all with the same brush please. And to tell them how much we appreciate them and being there.

I guess my wrist is still affecting my brain:eek::p

It doesn't matter what condition any ship was in six months ago; it's the cruise that we're on at the moment that matters.

We're all free to either ignore or heed the OP's warning. But there's no reason for anyone to be rude.

I agree. My cruise on the Westy in April was not great. It had just come out of drydock. Several people decided to dispute several things that I said because theirs was great. Things can change drastically. I had 2 cruises on the NA in 2012. One was wonderful and the other was not great. Same ship, two different experiences.

I agree. My cruise on the Westy in April was not great. It had just come out of drydock. Several people decided to dispute several things that I said because theirs was great. Things can change drastically. I had 2 cruises on the NA in 2012. One was wonderful and the other was not great. Same ship, two different experiences.

Beginning in 02/07 through 02/14, we've had 73 days on the Noordam...maybe more...that's all I can remember. We're booked on her TA from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in October. And, I am NOT happy with the reviews I read today on Cruise Critic.

Too late to change...final payment is on Friday and I've already paid for HAL air.

In recent years, Mark Pells has been the Hotel Director and he runs a great ship...provides lots of parties, etc, for the crew...therefore, has a "happy crew". I have to think the crew is not happy with the changes...and therefore, their bad attitude.

Beginning in 02/07 through 02/14, we've had 73 days on the Noordam...maybe more...that's all I can remember. We're booked on her TA from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in October. And, I am NOT happy with the reviews I read today on Cruise Critic.

Too late to change...final payment is on Friday and I've already paid for HAL air.

In recent years, Mark Pells has been the Hotel Director and he runs a great ship...provides lots of parties, etc, for the crew...therefore, has a "happy crew". I have to think the crew is not happy with the changes...and therefore, their bad attitude.

Totally agree. A happy crew makes a happy ship.