Rant - "too many kids on board"

I like all types of people but overcrowded areas can be a bit much. That's why I always like to sail with a balcony. At least that way you can have a place away from the crowds.

I can understand that...I, for the most part, can't stand humans in general, but have no choice in life but to deal with them, so I too try and avoid crowds.

It'll be a long wait

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think so too. But we can take a last minute deal if it ever come up. We will see. Now a friend of our want to take a cruise with us, he is 95 years young, so we will have to look at other cruise lines.

We took our kids on a cruise once. They were 35 and 29 at the time and brought their spouses with them.

Sue

Sue, these are probably the type of kids the OP is talking about. WAY too many kids on the ship!

Edited by Siora7777

Hi,

I have a RANT (off-topic) also...

I think, when I pay for a 7 day cruise, it should last at least 10 days and have at least 2 more ports of call than the itinerary called for....

Thank you all for listening to my babble.

Hi,

I have a RANT (off-topic) also...

I think, when I pay for a 7 day cruise, it should last at least 10 days and have at least 2 more ports of call than the itinerary called for....

Thank you all for listening to my babble.

Like!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think we all get less tolerant perhaps of certain age groups when we are not in that position. For example, now I'm in mum with teen years I wonder how parents cope with toddlers - toddlers are just being toddlers, but I don't think I could manage to have one again. But, I'm very tolerant of teens and it is natural for them to be a bit sneaky, excited, showing off etc. that is part of growing up and if they are told off that is part of the learning process.

What I don't understand is what people want to happen - if you don't like kids, stay away from them, they are entitled to behave like kids. If you don't like drunks, stay out of their way, they're not going to change.

There is plenty of room on a cruise ship for everyone. Maybe its just me, but when I see lots of littles I gloat that I no longer have that hardship - its a hard job. I suppose people may look at me and think "thank goodness we don't have teens".

It's a bit extreme to thank teens are dangerous just because they are loitering. They may be a bit inconvenient as they form a crowd, but that is all IMO.

I'm not bothered by " kids who act like kids"... I'm bothered by parents who bring kids onboard and then act like they are CHILDLESS. Your responsibilities and problems dont become MINE when you go on vacation.if your children are as priceless as you say they are, pay as much attention to their whereabouts as you do your wallet...aren't they worth the effort?

so right!!Been on cruise with 1200 children half the full cruisers, and yes could not get in any hot tubs or use the pool. When a parent was asked to about one in diapers the crew member got abused. But they are kids and it was Christmas but never again./

You have yet to see a stupid drunk. Really?

I find it hard to believe as well. Stupid drunks usually find you, such as when you want to talk to the concierge in the CL, riding in the elevator, or at the windjammer are a few examples from my repertoire. Nothing wrong with a fun drunk, but stupid drunk... not my favourite.

My next vacation is Sandals since we want to get away during Thanksgiving and I do not want to deal with screaming kids by the pool. I choice my cruise dates when school is in, so we do not need to deal with that many of them. Would love to see some adult only cruises.

We have learned if you want to cruise with few children sail on a different cruise line, take a longer cruise, and for sure do not cruise in the summer, holidays, or spring breaks. Most of the time the children we see on our cruises are well behaved and kept under control by their parents.

I'm not bothered by " kids who act like kids"... I'm bothered by parents who bring kids onboard and then act like they are CHILDLESS. Your responsibilities and problems dont become MINE when you go on vacation.if your children are as priceless as you say they are, pay as much attention to their whereabouts as you do your wallet...aren't they worth the effort?

Thank you, exactly my thoughts.

DH and I don't have kids but we think RCCL is doing a good job with offering many places/activities that are great for kids and also places like the Solarium where I can escape the screaming and screeching. While we are happy to share a table in the MDR with other people, we prefer not to have toddlers at our table. We politely ask for a table with adults only and never got as much as a weird look or something. RCCL really caters for all, singles, couples and families in a very good way.

I'm not sure why anyone wants to sunbathe around a tiddly little crowded pool, kids or no kids. You can't swim in them. There is a whole ship to sunbathe in.

Most kids and teens on board are as well behaved as adults. I've seen adults drinking and then getting in the swimming pool, or eating then getting in the swimming pool. I've seen adults not showering before getting in the pool. I've seen adult queue jumping, swearing etc. just as much as any kids misbehaving.

Seriously, its a family cruise line. Behaviour is subjective. I know many an adult without the manners of kids.

How boring it would be if we were all the same.

Don't you think they are in the minority though? You've got a cross section of society everywhere. I can sit in a restaurant on land and have the same set of problems, be it drunks, naughty kids, naughty parents etc.

My 15 year old goes out without me now, she goes shopping, school, cinema, youth club etc. Should I be with her 24/7?

I'm not actually disagreeing with you, I've seen kids being able to run around (usually young ones) and worrying they will slip etc, but its really not my problem so I try to chill about it, they don't become my responsibility.

That's a distinct possibility.

But one thing I've learned over the years is real life is hardly ever as bad as it is made out to be on Cruise Critic. :)

Ain't that the truth!!! Expected doom and gloom on my June 11 night cruise on board Celebrity Reflection. Quite the opposite. What a great cruise. BTW, Well behaved Cheerios tossers for the most part.

Edited by Tommy3putts
edit

I agree!! I am a pediatrician also and prefer to cruise when there are fewer kids but as I can't turn off my "pediatric me" am very agitated with kids alone in the pool and feel the responsibility the parents SHOULD feel.:eek: Ugh!!!

To the OP - I've seen plenty of posts about too many drunks; I could even argue I see that more than complaints about kids. IMHO the problem isn't the quantity of children but that some parents also take a vacation from their parental responsibilities while on their cruise and let their children interfere and aggravate other cruisers. Plenty of adults also take a vacation from common sense and courtesy while on a cruise too. Just gotta roll with the punches sometimes and enjoy yourself or you can drive yourself crazy.

To the OP - I've seen plenty of posts about too many drunks; I could even argue I see that more than complaints about kids. IMHO the problem isn't the quantity of children but that some parents also take a vacation from their parental responsibilities while on their cruise and let their children interfere and aggravate other cruisers. Plenty of adults also take a vacation from common sense and courtesy while on a cruise too. Just gotta roll with the punches sometimes and enjoy yourself or you can drive yourself crazy.

BIB: I agree. From what I've heard from other travellers over the years, this "vacation of parental responsibilities" (good phrase by the way) happens more so on Thomson cruises. Less so on Royal BUT I appreciate that generally this would happen on all ships to a varying degree.

To the OP - I've seen plenty of posts about too many drunks; I could even argue I see that more than complaints about kids. IMHO the problem isn't the quantity of children ...

With both kids and drunks, one really bad one is all it takes to mess it up for 20 who behave well enough.