If Princess calls......

Rosethorn40

What shows up on Caller ID? I'm just a little curious, because it always seems that about 2-3 weeks before we sail on Princess I get a call from Miami. FL. I don't know anyone in Miami, and the calls seem to come when I'm about to go on a cruise, and no other time. There a large number of unsold cabins on our upcoming cruise on August 23rd, and I was thinking they might start be making upsell offers. Don't think we would get one though. We already have a balcony that I'm happy with the location. The mini-suites are sold out, and there are 3 window suites and a handful of mid ship suites left. There are a large number of balcony's though throughout the ship available.

I am surprised that this close to sailing there are so many cabins unsold. I'm guessing that people who live in Florida are going to be able to take advantage of some amazing deals.

I don't know but their offices are in California. Wouldn't a call from them show as coming from Princess or Santa Clarita, California? Just to be on the safe side I would answer anything between now and your cruise.:D. And don't you just hate autodialers from salespeople?

I don't know but their offices are in California. Wouldn't a call from them show as coming from Princess or Santa Clarita, California? Just to be on the safe side I would answer anything between now and your cruise.:D. And don't you just hate autodialers from salespeople?

You are probably right. I get calls all the time from Carnival & Norwegian, and that's what caller ID says. It's just so strange that I don't get these calls that show up as "Miami" unless I'm about 3-weeks or less from a sail date on Princess (Or maybe I just notice it then). I love caller ID is so I don't have to speak to anyone I don't want to. After answering a phone all day I can't even stand to say (Politely of course), "Sorry, not interested"

I'm happy with my cabin, don't think I would even entertain an upsell to a window suite, and all the mini suites are sold out according to the web site. However, I just got one of those darn "Miami" calls-no message and it got me thinking I hadn't seen that since February, just before our last cruise.

I'm just brainstorming here, but have you tried actually answering the phone? I find that's a surefire way of determining who's calling me.

HATE....THE...PHONE! (Years and years in a call center will do that to you). The only reason I have a phone is because DH insisted on one. I don't even have a cell phone! Yes, the last hold out in America.

I hate phones too. Most of the time we have our landline bell turned off (and the answer machine is no longer plugged in), but that's a long story. My hubby gave my cell phone number to people who might need to get in touch with him when he's not at work, and that's how my daughter's school gets in touch with me too. When I'm expecting a call and give the landline number, I'll turn on the bell, and much of the time, I get sales calls.

What shows up on Caller ID? I'm just a little curious, because it always seems that about 2-3 weeks before we sail on Princess I get a call from Miami. FL. I don't know anyone in Miami, and the calls seem to come when I'm about to go on a cruise, and no other time. There a large number of unsold cabins on our upcoming cruise on August 23rd, and I was thinking they might start be making upsell offers. Don't think we would get one though. We already have a balcony that I'm happy with the location. The mini-suites are sold out, and there are 3 window suites and a handful of mid ship suites left. There are a large number of balcony's though throughout the ship available.

I am surprised that this close to sailing there are so many cabins unsold. I'm guessing that people who live in Florida are going to be able to take advantage of some amazing deals.

Doubt very much its Princess. :)

I'm just brainstorming here, but have you tried actually answering the phone? I find that's a surefire way of determining who's calling me.

always the voice of reason!

I wish the callers would actually be people I know and not surveys, charities or someone trying to sell me something.

On the other hand, I got a good laugh out of another cruise line (think it was RCCL) who hadve office buildings in Southern Oregon. Looks like a call center. Inland off I-5. Those people have never seen a ship that far inland. So, getting a call from that call center would come up with a weird Oregon prefix. My husband often doesn't answer the phone if he doesn't know the caller or there is no ID. I told him to stop that because sometimes my daughter calls from her work phone or even our doctor comes up as "800 Service" as the caller.

Thanks to caller ID, and the national Do Not Call list, I now get far fewer "junk calls" than I used to.

However, I refuse to speak to callers whose names do not show up on caller ID (such as those that show as 000-000-0000, or "unknown caller" or "private caller"). If they call repeatedly, I take the call but only to use the phone like a mike and state "I do not accept calls from callers whose name does not appear on the caller ID screen", and immediately hang up. That seems to be working to stop repeated calls from that party.

Thanks to caller ID, and the national Do Not Call list, I now get far fewer "junk calls" than I used to.

However, I refuse to speak to callers whose names do not show up on caller ID (such as those that show as 000-000-0000, or "unknown caller" or "private caller"). If they call repeatedly, I take the call but only to use the phone like a mike and state "I do not accept calls from callers whose name does not appear on the caller ID screen", and immediately hang up. That seems to be working to stop repeated calls from that party.

The Do Not Call list hasn't seemed to put a dent in the number of calls I get from autodialers. If no one speaks in the first two seconds I hang up. It's gotten to the point I'm tempted to get rid of my landline but there are a few calls I get on it that are important.

I'm so fed up with sales calls that I have my phone diverted to a message pager. For £15 a month, someone else answers my calls then pages me with the details.

If I don't recognise the number I google it before phoning back. Works fine for me...

The main reason we still have a landline is to take all the bogus calls and to get reminder messages from doctors. I rarely ever answer the thing.

My wife also wanted to keep it because her family all use that number if they call. I didn't like paying for it so I switched it to Vonage. It's over the Internet and uses the same phone and phone number as the AT&T line used to use and comes with all the bells and whistles that AT&T wants to charge for. Caller ID is my friend. The donotcall registry is a joke.

I often get calls to my phone and the display just shows an 800 number - delete! Or it shows a number that originates in Virginia. I delete those as well. Oh wait! The CIA is in Virginia; perhaps they're after me!!:D

Princess called me three days before my cruise with a move over offer (they oversold). After a counter by me (they wanted me to go on 08/16, which was impossible, but accepted my counter to my December cruise), I took it without any regret and actually has proven to be a blessing in disguise. My sister could not believe they called so close to departure and that I accepted.

The Do Not Call list hasn't seemed to put a dent in the number of calls I get from autodialers. If no one speaks in the first two seconds I hang up. It's gotten to the point I'm tempted to get rid of my landline but there are a few calls I get on it that are important.

You can find out who's calling you by googling the number. For unwanted calls you can put your name on the Do Not Call list, works for cell numbers as well.

The companies that overdo the unwanted sales calls ignore the do not call list. Some are calling from overseas (many of the "pharmacy" calls are undoubtedly from these) so they don't fear the FCC coming after them. Others use the "please press 1 for further info" so you can't find out what company it is unless you do so...and I imagine if you get a human, they are probably trained to hang up if you start asking for the info you need to file with the FCC against them. A couple of times, I did press 1 and their machine hanged up. But usually I'll hang up if a recording doesn't identify the company name. With real persons calling (many local companies are cold calling), I will explain that we are on the do not call list so don't call again. One guy actually asked me what that was...so maybe he was a young employee who actually had never heard of it as he sounded sincere.

If an unknown number comes up on my cell, I'll google. Yesterday I realized that the Indiana number that called (I didn't answer) was from a survey company that my medical group uses. Oh, well, I didn't feel like doing a phone survey anyway last night. My hubby's work number comes up as "restricted," which he can't change as that's a government phone number. So I'll try to pick up those calls. But calls from Florida scream "scam" to me.

Princess called me three days before my cruise with a move over offer (they oversold). After a counter by me (they wanted me to go on 08/16, which was impossible, but accepted my counter to my December cruise), I took it without any regret and actually has proven to be a blessing in disguise. My sister could not believe they called so close to departure and that I accepted.

Within the final week before the cruise is when they do the majority of the moveovers.

The last time Princess called me it came through as a 661 number, with California as the called ID. I originally didn't pick it up because I don't know anyone from California but when I heard the call I answered it.

National Do not Call Registry. 1(888) 382-1222. I registered my number years ago and haven't received any telemarketer calls since. I re- register every so often. This thread reminded me to do it again. I registered my cell phone as well.

National Do not Call Registry. 1(888) 382-1222. I registered my number years ago and haven't received any telemarketer calls since. I re- register every so often. This thread reminded me to do it again. I registered my cell phone as well.

My numbers are on the Do Not Call registry and they receive telemarketer calls every day. None of them even care that you're registered. We block as many as our Comcast allows. And still more call...