Norwegian to offer "All Inclusive"

LOVEMYMO

It's definitely not worth it for us. We don't buy photos, we only dine in one or two specialty's per cruise, we don't buy UBP as the wife rarely drinks, we only use internet while in port, we book excursions outside of NCL and so on...

That said, I fully support NCL offering it and suspect many will purchase it.

So many folks seem to be missing the whole point of the all inclusive package and who is the target market.

Canadians and Europeans go to more all inclusive vacations than Americans. Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica etc have been catering to Canadians and Europeans for decades. It has become popular with fluctuating currency. Most do 7 or 14 day holidays, we find it odd that Americans do the 3 and 4 day vacations.

Most folks don't like to think about the cost of things when on vacation. Canadians and Europeans want drinks, meals and gratuities included. No money changing hands. Set price and forget. Who cares if you don't drink or don't eat in specialty restaurants. It is available if you want.

Right now Celebrity is spending huge marketing dollars trying to lure more Canadians on board. We are a nation who heads down south every year and usually goes to an all inclusive.

What Celebrity is doing is including the flights, drinks package, gratuities and transfers etc. Exactly what an all inclusive sells. They have big ads stating that a balcony cabin on a regular sailing (February or something) is $2000 all in. This is very comparable to a decent all inclusive in Cuba, Jamaica or Mexico etc. So aside from the odd souvenir, all costs are paid.

The part that Norwegian is missing is the flight. They should include that from gateway cities. In Canada those cities are usually main centres like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Calgary etc.

All inclusives are not for coupon clippers or those who split nickels. They are marketed to folks who just want to pay one price and not think about the costs. Can they do it cheaper on their own? Maybe. But that is not the target market.

How many times do folks mention that they don't want to think about the cost of gratuities or drinks? All the time! Many folks just want it all included in the fare. Smart move in my estimation.

So many folks seem to be missing the whole point of the all inclusive package and who is the target market.

Canadians and Europeans go to more all inclusive vacations than Americans. Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica etc have been catering to Canadians and Europeans for decades. It has become popular with fluctuating currency. Most do 7 or 14 day holidays, we find it odd that Americans do the 3 and 4 day vacations.

Most folks don't like to think about the cost of things when on vacation. Canadians and Europeans want drinks, meals and gratuities included. No money changing hands. Set price and forget. Who cares if you don't drink or don't eat in specialty restaurants. It is available if you want.

Right now Celebrity is spending huge marketing dollars trying to lure more Canadians on board. We are a nation who heads down south every year and usually goes to an all inclusive.

What Celebrity is doing is including the flights, drinks package, gratuities and transfers etc. Exactly what an all inclusive sells. They have big ads stating that a balcony cabin on a regular sailing (February or something) is $2000 all in. This is very comparable to a decent all inclusive in Cuba, Jamaica or Mexico etc. So aside from the odd souvenir, all costs are paid.

The part that Norwegian is missing is the flight. They should include that from gateway cities. In Canada those cities are usually main centres like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Calgary etc.

All inclusives are not for coupon clippers or those who split nickels. They are marketed to folks who just want to pay one price and not think about the costs. Can they do it cheaper on their own? Maybe. But that is not the target market.

How many times do folks mention that they don't want to think about the cost of gratuities or drinks? All the time! Many folks just want it all included in the fare. Smart move in my estimation.

Well what was posted on Cruise Critic news (below) the offer is not available to bookings in the UK or Europe.

Cruise News

Home > Cruise News > Norwegian Cruise Line Introduces All-Inclusive Packagepixel.gifJuly 30, 2014pixel.gifNorwegian Cruise Line Introduces All-Inclusive Package

e-letter-icon.png

norwegianjewelmain.jpg(11:47 a.m. EDT) -- Norwegian Cruise Line will debut an all-inclusive package that includes dining, beverages, Internet, excursions and more on most of its 2015 sailings. But the first-for-the-cruise-line offer won't be available for long. Only those who have already reserved a 2015 booking or those making a new booking during a 25-day window in August will have access to the package.

The all-inclusive package will be available on all three- to 14-night 2015 sailings, except those on Pride of America. The per-person price and what's included are based on the length of the cruise; for a seven-night sailing, the cost is $899 per person. When adding the package to a booking, the cost of the cruise fare itself is reduced by 10 percent.

Included in the package for a seven-night cruise are: the ultimate dining and beverage packages, a shore excursion credit of $200 per person, prepaid daily service charges, a 250-minute Internet package per person, 20 photos of any size, chocolate-covered strawberries, a bottle of wine, one bingo session and six bottles of water.

For cruises from three to five nights, the shore excursion credit is reduced to $100 per person, and on cruises of nine to 14 nights, the package includes 12 bottles of water instead of six.

According to the cruise line, the new offer was inspired by the popularity of its dining and beverage packages, as well as its new fly, cruise and stay packages, which include air, cruise and hotel.

To qualify for the all-inclusive package offer, new cruise reservations must be made between August 4 and August 29. Already booked 2015 cruises also qualify. If one passenger in a cabin books the package, all people in the same cabin must also purchase it. The offer is not available on bookings made in the U.K. or Europe

Definitely agree!

Today I am without a doubt cranky and this all inclusive just doesn't hit me quite right.

For some first time cruisers/or new to NCL seeing the $$$ your package will cost could have a negative impact.

It's really no different than offering 6 specialty restaurants- they are there if you want to use them but you do not have to use them if you do not want to. Just another option and the items are easily quantifiable to determine if you will get your money's worth with the package.

We were one of the NCL cruisers...

However, as I made clear to NCL on the survey, we do much planning and budgeting on our own, do not partake in many of the added services provided on the ship and feel we have an exceptional cruise doing it our way. Your cruise, your personal cruise experience, done just right by NCL. More options for others to choose from does not negatively impact us and allows others to have their perfect cruise experience as well. Be informed, choose wisely and enjoy!

Well said. It may not be worth it for a lot of people but I'm sure they will have takers.

"all inclusive" is misleading...it doesn't even include unlimited bottles of water. seriously? I don't get that alcohol is unlimited and water isn't.

I'd like a rye & water, hold the rye.... and put a cap on the water.

We actually got a survey asking what we thought about this and honestly, it is not worth it for us:

The ultimate dining and beverage package: We already get 2 free specialty dining and 2 bottles of wine for being Platinum

A shore excursion credit of $200 per person - Again sometimes we don't do any shore excursions with NCL

Prepaid daily service charges - yes

250-minute Internet package per person - we cruise to get AWAY from staying constantly wired

20 photos of any size - I take better photos

Chocolate-covered strawberries a bottle of wine - again this comes with being Platinum

one bingo session - I would pay them not to go to bingo

six bottles of water - I can bring my own water for practically nothing - we usually don't bother.

Now, if you hate the food, are an alcoholic who drinks very little water, who is incapable of planning your own excursions (or finding someone on your roll call to do it for you) loves the photographers in your face, stay glued to your computer instead of enjoying the reason you cruise, AND play bingo only once - well this one is for you;)

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/norwegian-cruise-line-adds-all-inclusive-package-47147

*sigh*....perhaps if it included some type of Spa services or Discounts too, then.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The site you linked us to is providing false information. This new package is not for new bookings only. It's always best to get it your information straight from the horse's mouth. ;)

As of right now I am a solo cruiser booked in studio for the Dec 26the sailing on the Escape. So I am looking at this package. I figure the cost of the UBP and UDP and $200 excursion package plus the 10% discount (Studio room for me for that sailing was $1999) would just BARELY make it worth it. My big question is this: What happens if one books this package then there is a price drop before final payment? Do you keep the package? Do they recalculate the discount? I'll probably be e-mailing my travel agent to look into this today.

It's so weird to me when the cruiselines come out with something and people get so nasty about it. They're not forcing it on anyone... it's a choice. What gives?

Anyways - I think we may try this on our next cruise. It'll be fun!

The site you linked us to is providing false information. This new package is not for new bookings only. It's always best to get it your information straight from the horse's mouth. ;)

Why would you say that? It IS for new bookings only.

One thing that popped into my mind that may diminish the value of the package is the lack of clarity about the specialty restaurant use. If it is in fact just the ultimate dining package, that means it would not include the sushi restaurant, ocean blue, illusion show, cafe java. Etc. For it to be truly all-inclusive, one would think these would be included.

One thing that popped into my mind that may diminish the value of the package is the lack of clarity about the specialty restaurant use. If it is in fact just the ultimate dining package, that means it would not include the sushi restaurant, ocean blue, illusion show, cafe java. Etc. For it to be truly all-inclusive, one would think these would be included.

Another consideration is do you have to wait until you are onboard to use your excursion credit.

We won't be taking part in this but it is an interesting new concept. IMHO I don't think it is truly all-inclusive since many items are not included such as the spa or other amenities onboard some ships. It is a nice mixture as another poster suggested for cruisers who just want to board and not think about extra costs.