Credit Card use in Europe

texas bound

We were in those countries for our May cruise, and almost all shops, restaurants, etc accepted credit cards. I hear that some of the smaller, out of the way ones do not, but we had no problem in the main tourist areas. By the way, make sure to notify your card companies you will be traveling , and check which ones won't charge you a conversion fee (AmEx Platinum was the best deal for us.)

We have used our Visa and Master Card all over Europe with no issues. American Express is accepted in many places, but less so.

We have a Delta Skymiles AmEx card that is our card of preference, but use our visa card with no foreign transaction fee if AmEx is not accepted.

Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere. In the past, some of the smaller merchants in the Grand Bazaar wanted currency and gave a better price if you did not use a credit card. Do try to make sure you use a card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. Enjoy your trip

Our cruise is later, but in preparation we got a new card with the chip feature along with the signature and no foreign transaction fees. We have been told that we need that in Europe where they use chip-pin cards, not yet available here. We can swipe the card anywhere here like we always have, but in Walmart we actually insert the chip part in a special place. The young cashier was familar with the chip and showed us how to do it the first time.

Our cruise is later' date=' but in preparation we got a new card with the chip feature along with the signature and no foreign transaction fees. We have been told that we need that in Europe where they use chip-pin cards, not yet available here. We can swipe the card anywhere here like we always have, but in Walmart we actually insert the chip part in a special place. The young cashier was familar with the chip and showed us how to do it the first time.[/quote']

Our new Citibank EMV Chip card is identified as a chip and signature card rather than the European chip and pin cards. If I were traveling I'd call Citibank to verify if this will work with chip and pin terminals in Europe or not as I read on a Wiki that they may not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV#Chip_and_PIN_vs._Chip_and_signature

Of course the above statement is not entirely true. I do carry my Citibank MasterCard in Europe but only as a backup since it carries a hefty foreign transaction fee. I use our Capital One card which has no foreign transaction fee when traveling out of the country. I've had no issues using either of the card overseas.

Edited by Lsimon

Just don't try to use a Discover card in Greece, Croatia...I refuse to get one, but my sister was expecting to be able to use hers..EM

This is correct. Discover, which we use a lot at home, is not accepted in Europe. Sometimes AMEX but usually just Visa and MasterCard. We call our MasterCard company before going so they will allow foreign transactions. We rarely use the credit cards but get currency from local bank ATMs and pay with cash. Feel safer that way.

We saw a guy in Rome going around with what appeared to be a credit card reader asking people for change. He carried a map and the fake camera. We didn't think anything of it until we saw him two other times that day near our hotel near the Colesseum.

Our cruise is later' date=' but in preparation we got a new card with the chip feature along with the signature and no foreign transaction fees. ....[/quote']Another vote here for using a chip and pin card that charges no foreign currency conversion fees.

No bothering with needing to waste your time exchanging money at banks or ATMS and then needing to exchange back whatever is left over.

Peace of mind knowing that you have no risk of losing any money.

(To me it is worthwhile just for that alone).

Much safer and easier to carry a small piece of plastic than to carry around bulky cash that may be lost or stolen.

Be aware that AMEX is often not accepted in Europe because of the fees that the merchants must pay.

We actually carry our cash in the form of a debit card that is not linked to any bank account; we can use any local ATM machine for spending money and we just pay for what we buy. Big purchases we use our normal Visa which is pretty well secured by BOA.

Canada has been on the chip and pin card system for years so Europe is not an issue for us. I was happy to see it in WalMart in the US recently but the clerk could figure out how to use it

I wish Canadian banks were as quick to introduce credit cards without foreign transaction fees as they were to introduce chip and pin cards. Unless I'm mistaken, the only cards available are those offered by Chase (Canada).

I wish Canadian banks were as quick to introduce credit cards without foreign transaction fees as they were to introduce chip and pin cards. Unless I'm mistaken, the only cards available are those offered by Chase (Canada).

The card does not need to have the pin and chip yet. It is preferred, but as stated most Americans do not yet have pin and chip cards. The card we use for overseas is the Capital One Card. It has not foreign transaction fees. I do not know if it available in Canada.

I contacted Capital One by online chat a few months ago to inquire about their foreign transaction fee policy for their Canadian CC product.

I was told that they do not offer a no currency conversion fee card here. Although they are aware that many potential customers would appreciate that particular feature, they have no plans to introduce no conversion fee cards here in Canada at this time.

I contacted Capital One by online chat a few months ago to inquire about their foreign transaction fee policy for their Canadian CC product.

I was told that they do not offer a no currency conversion fee card here. Although they are aware that many potential customers would appreciate that particular feature, they have no plans to introduce no conversion fee cards here in Canada at this time.

Very true. I have a Canadian Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard and keep checking to see when/if they will follow the lead of Capital One elsewhere. Although a year old now, the following quote from creditcard.com (Canada) is still valid:

Are transaction fees going away?

There is a perceptible trend in the U.S. toward eliminating credit card foreign transaction fees. A growing cohort of American cards charge no foreign transaction fees, and some even waive annual fees. And in the United Kingdom, Capital One Bank just announced that its Aspire World rewards credit card will not charge foreign transaction fees.

The trend doesn't appear to be gaining traction in Canada.

Spokesperson Laurel Ostfield confirms foreign transaction fees persist on all Capital One Canada credit cards, including the Aspire Travel World MasterCard. "We currently have no plans to change this policy," she says.

Only a handful of specialty credit cards enable Canadians to avoid foreign transaction fees. JP Morgan Chase, an American financial services powerhouse, issues the four cards listed below.

Unless there is some movement by the Canadian banking establishment in the next six months or so, preferably by Capital One following the lead of its US and British counterparts, I'll be applying to Chase in advance of my med cruise next year.

Amazon.ca credit card has no foreign transaction fees. Is that one of those Chase (Canada) cards?

Amazon.ca credit card has no foreign transaction fees. Is that one of those Chase (Canada) cards?

Yes it is. :) You get points for Amazon purchases and there's no annual fee. Chase also offers a Marriott card with more benefits but with an annual fee (waived for the first year). I'm trying to work out whether the benefits justify the fee. :confused:

Whatever card you use, make sure you notify your bank of the dates and countries for your trip. I have always called my bank because I have heard that they will put a lock on your card after the first purchase, thinking that it has been stolen.

There are a few companies in the US that offer a chip and PIN card. USAA for veterans comes to mind and there are a few banks that offer it for a hefty fee. Target will be converting to a chip and pin card later this year or early next year - can't remember the issue date.

Many restaurants and shops in Europe use a hand reader which they bring to you. Many can read the card but you need to have a pin, issued from the bank, to complete the transaction in most cases. This is not a problem for Visa or MasterCard issued cards. Just call or go online to get your 4 digit pin. This is not the same as a chip and pin card which is embedded.

We each carry different cards and a debit card to use in the ATM's. AMEX, as has been mentioned, has eliminated the FTF but is not widely accepted in many European countries.

We were in those countries for our May cruise, and almost all shops, restaurants, etc accepted credit cards. I hear that some of the smaller, out of the way ones do not, but we had no problem in the main tourist areas. By the way, make sure to notify your card companies you will be traveling , and check which ones won't charge you a conversion fee (AmEx Platinum was the best deal for us.)

Capital One does not charge a fee.

DO NOT use Am Ex.....They charge outrageous fees......And make sure that if you eat in a restaurant, you check over the bill and are not charged extra for things you did not order. Also, make sure that when you charge something, it is in EUROS--and not USD.

My Delta American Express has no foreign transaction fees AND they will send me a free chip and pin card whenever I decide I want one. I think many cards in the U.S. are going the chip and pin route so before you think your preferred card doesn't offer it - call and ask them. My Visa was due for renewal and this last week it came and it is a chip and pin card without me asking - so they making the transition.

Edited by Jane2357

I have owned this Marriott Card for three years. It has earned me tons of Marriott points and Marriott status. I funnel all of my expenses through this card. It allowed us to stay for free at premium properties such as the Marriott by the Quay in Sydney and the Sherbourne in Dublin( both $400 a night). As a past world business traveler I have seen the airline miles programs dwindle. I like hotel card cards since I have never had an expirations or availability issue. One year I hit the jackpot - my daughter got married in a Marriott property and I earned a jillion points.