MDR menus

Hi there!

We go on our first ever cruise this October, 2 weeks around the Med, absolutely cannot wait!

Anyway, my question is, do they post the MDR menu anywhere ahead of the evening?! I'm not a mega fussy eater, but I do worry that I'll get there and not find much I like and wish I'd gone to the Windjammer!

Many thanks in advance!

Many ships post the menus on the interactive screens that you will find on the landings by the elevator lobbies..... I think Adventure had them installed during the refit; am sure someone will confirm. Alternatively they will be outside the MDR itself and possibly outside the WindJammer. Since the inroom TV upgrade I don't think they're posted there any more. Didn't see them on Legend recently.

Many ships post the menus on the interactive screens that you will find on the landings by the elevator lobbies..... I think Adventure had them installed during the refit; am sure someone will confirm. Alternatively they will be outside the MDR itself and possibly outside the WindJammer. Since the inroom TV upgrade I don't think they're posted there any more. Didn't see them on Legend recently.

Yes, Adventure of the Seas have the electronic screens now.

Usually, the dinner menus are displayed on the screens outside the Main Dining Room.

Part of our daily ritual is to walk over to the MDR sometime before noon to see whats for dinner and if its worth eating there.

It is your cruise. If you want something that's not on the menu, ask for it. They are supposed to go out of their way to satisfy you. This isn't Sunday dinner at Aunt Louisa's house. Its an expensive cruise. Don't think twice about special requests, they live to serve you.

I always liked the surprise of seeing what's on the menus when you sit down for dinner.

I cannot understand why some over-plan every detail of a vacation.

All the way down to scouring the menus and figuring out what they will order for dinner every night, months ahead of time......

I always liked the surprise of seeing what's on the menus when you sit down for dinner.

All the way down to scouring the menus and figuring out what they will order for dinner every night, months ahead of time......

Ahhhhh.... you have me there..... from missing vidalia onion tart to definitely dining when rack of lamb is on the menu....

I totally get what you are saying, and I too love the surprise, however I don't want to miss a night in the MDR when there is something I love. Also, trusting my server is almost always the way to go. When I ask him what he recommends I am never disappointed.

Such terrible worries we have! LOL!

I totally get what you are saying, and I too love the surprise, however I don't want to miss a night in the MDR when there is something I love. Also, trusting my server is almost always the way to go. When I ask him what he recommends I am never disappointed.

Such terrible worries we have! LOL!

I too ask the servers what he/she recommends.

And I ask about off menu items they sometimes have.

Usually some sort of Indian dish...

I too ask the servers what he/she recommends.

And I ask about off menu items they sometimes have.

Usually some sort of Indian dish...

A trick of the food biz is sometimes to recommend what is not moving well, in a banquet setting where almost nothing is really "cooked to order" this is a notorious practice.

As we take our meals very seriously, we always look at online menus before selecting a restaurant. While there is always something good on the MDR menu nightly, I will not settle for something. Rather go to WJ or specialty if I'm not completely thrilled about my choices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's entrees are not good in the MDR?

It's not a fixed item. It may differ ship to ship, or even between different executive chefs on the same ship. That's why I tend to heed the waiter's advice.

We've also had a waiter who asked us to try a couple of things because nobody had. They had no idea what they were like. One was cauliflower cakes (or something like that) Actually were okay for a side. We all tasted including the waiter,shhh, don't tell anyone. Now that is a dining experience

• 1 month later...

The main reason I like to know the menu ahead of time is so I can research the various items of which I have no knowledge. If it doesn't say, "Meat and Taters" I probably don't know what it is, and also, I won't know what I am missing if I don't order something because I don't know what it is. Bon apatite!

To each his own.. QTPie :cool:

On just about every cruise, DW and I find one evening menu where there is nothing that sounds interesting to us. On these evenings we can hit the buffet or a specialty restaurant.

I know they have things like a plain steak or breast of chicken available every night, but many times we don't want those selections either. More choices elsewhere.

The main reason I like to know the menu ahead of time is so I can research the various items of which I have no knowledge. If it doesn't say, "Meat and Taters" I probably don't know what it is, and also, I won't know what I am missing if I don't order something because I don't know what it is. Bon apatite!

Research is good. No sense in being surprised at what "Crudite with Peppercorn Dressing" is going to entail when one is really NOT a fan of raw broccoli.

• 1 month later...

Exactly. I had to look up quite a few items (panna cotta, pot de creme, ceviche, etc) to see what they are. I plan to try new things on the cruise, but still want to know what they are. Looking forward to the hot harira soup :D

Has a server ever steered you away from something because it's not very good?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

oh heck yea...i was told to stay away from the steak on their every day menu....(not the filet mignon). and I was told more than once ;)