IST-DXB Cruise reroute...

StarFlyr

Just found out today that Regent has cancelled the 3 day layover in Israel on the upcoming cruise leaving Oct 31st. They've substituted a 1 day Cyprus stop and a 2 day Luxor stop. While it's fine with me, my wife is disappointed as she wanted to see Israel. I've been there countless times in my airline career.

I wasn't worried about visiting Israel, but I'm betting there are some additional security procedures I wouldn't be happy dealing with (I get slightly pissed going in ANY US airport the moment I approach security). I've learned to keep my mouth shut, to take off my belt, remove my shoes and not create any waves. Otherwise, it's off to additional screening for more of their BS.

I've reached the golden age of 75 where I'm supposed to not have to remove my shoes, but I'm not betting my life my shoes won't becoming off some time in the future. Don't get me started on nail clippers or small pocket knifes for (1" blades).

So far, we haven't heard ANYTHING from Regent about the reroute. I discovered it myself just check something else on the Regent website.

Is this standard practice when Regent reroutes a cruise? I call them and they said there were no "sweeteners" for nixing the Haifa 3 day port stop.

I'm betting somewhere in the small print, it says they can change anything they wish on a cruise. Seems to me that a cruise line that makes a major change to a cruise that is still slightly less than 3 months away should at least offer a full refund. Hey, maybe I don't want to go to Egypt. Actually I love Egypt. Just not the smog in Cairo.

PS I noticed that Oceania did the same thing for a cruise that leaves Istanbul 2 days later than our cruise.

Very interesting news. Have you contacted your travel agent? Generally, Regent sends notices to TA's who in turn send them to their clients.

I can understand how disappointing this would be to anyone that wanted to visit Israel. Regent would not change their itinerary that drastically without a very good reason. I suspect (but certainly do not know) that there may have been a travel alert put out for parts of Israel.

Let us know what you learn. Thanks.

Crystal did the same thing and their cruise is many months away. Like the OP I worked for a major airline for over 26 years and now I hate going to any airport. Even with my retiree ID TSA makes me jump through all the hoops. One way around all this is to become a trusted traveler and you need to go to the airport for an interview for that.

Hi:

We got an official notification from Regent via our TA at 4 pm Friday. I have no complaint about the reroute and Regent has every right to change ports for safety reasons without compensation. However, the Regent notice contained a proviso that the itinerary might be changed back to include Haifa if things calmed down! The potential further reroute is very unattractive to us as it shortens Israel to 2 days, eliminates Patmos, cuts out the overnight for Petra, adds Port Said (ugh), and an Egyptian beach town. Then I would howl and demand compensation.

I am surprised that anyone would think this itinerary wouldn't be changed. I believe that's been obvious for some months.

If you need total predictability, try Alaska or Norway or New England. These are wonderful itineraries and there should be no big changes to scheduled ports. But things can happen here too.

Much of the rest of the world have major disturbances and war. When you sign up for areas that include historically troubled areas you take your chances that ports will be changed or dropped.

If you need total predictability, try Alaska or Norway or New England. These are wonderful itineraries and there should be no big changes to scheduled ports. But things can happen here too.

I would have agreed with you two months ago. However, when we were in Norway last month, all ports and airports were put in high alert. There was a terrorist threat (this can be Googled although there are no specifics on the threat and it is now over). The port we were in only had a population of 300. However, tenders were stopped from transporting people back to the ship and the ship was delayed two hours (not really a huge deal but the Captain had to "speed" to make it to our debarkation port in time).

I expected visits to Russia to be stopped a couple of months ago. Time will tell on this one

Yes, I said "things can happen there too." When you posted about your delay in Norway I thought it might be related to that specific terrorist threat. If you watch the news that got a bit of coverage while in progress.

Of course there can be weather or strike threats anywhere that impacts schedules. Things happen and there are no guarantees about making port. Cruise ships are going to be more cautious that many may like but there's always land travel and such like for those who want to explore the country. And as for Israel, EL AL is still flying and one can make one's way to Jordan. If you are travelling independently you can make those last minute moves. If you're a big ship and entrusted with the safety and lives of hundreds of people spontaneity isn't on the agenda.

Not even the Staten Island Ferry is safe from cancellation any more. In today's world every place is susceptible to some kind of change. We just have to go ahead and plan and hope for the best and if things change, cope as best we can.

No big changes on Norway? On our Voyager cruise last month, there was an ISIS threat against Norway that closed the port of Geiranger for more than two hours. This is a tender port, so we (and most people on excursions) were stranded on shore for several hours in steaming heat (yes, over 80 degrees in Norway). This was our last port, so we couldn't make up all of the lost time, and arrived in our debarkation port, Copenhagen, about 30 minutes late. Good job by the captain and crew, since we left more than two hours late.

No place in the world is truly safe. While that's true, I wonder of people for whom Israel and Petra were the primary reason for choosing the cruise will be allowed to cancel.

I am disappointed but can understand the change. However, what's really making me angry is what Regent have done as far as "free" tours are concerned.

We've now lost three days in Israel, so what do they do? When they substitute Luxor, of the 6 trips available, three are charged and the three which aren't are useless snorkelling, beach trip and jeep safari. Not one of the "free" tours is cultural. They want to charge £81 pp for Ancient Luxor. Did somebody say something about compensation for the change of route???? Not only is there no compensation for the change, it's costing more money to do a cultural trip!!

Have emailed Special Services today but can't say I'm holding my breath! Really angry about this. :(

I am disappointed but can understand the change. However, what's really making me angry is what Regent have done as far as "free" tours are concerned.

We've now lost three days in Israel, so what do they do? When they substitute Luxor, of the 6 trips available, three are charged and the three which aren't are useless snorkelling, beach trip and jeep safari. Not one of the "free" tours is cultural. They want to charge £81 pp for Ancient Luxor. :(

We are on this cruise in October 2015. They have a no charge "Day at Luxor" tour which they ought to be offering you, as well:

Day At Luxor

Light Activity /Walking

Duration: 11 1/2 hours

Tour Code: saf-e03

This exclusive event is included for all guests, compliments of Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

Explore two extraordinary monuments to the gods. At Karnak Temple you will pass through an entrance guarded by two massive statues of Ramses II, explore the great columned hall and see the pink granite obelisk of Queen Hatshepsut. From Karnak, the avenue of the sphinxes leads to Luxor Temple, with the magnificent columns of Amenhotep III and a colossus of Ramses II. Lunch is included.

We've now lost three days in Israel, so what do they do? When they substitute Luxor, of the 6 trips available, three are charged and the three which aren't are useless snorkelling, beach trip and jeep safari. Not one of the "free" tours is cultural. They want to charge £81 pp for Ancient Luxor. Did somebody say something about compensation for the change of route???? Not only is there no compensation for the change, it's costing more money to do a cultural trip!!

Have emailed Special Services today but can't say I'm holding my breath! Really angry about this. :([/quote

Another reason I think Regent's "free" excursions are a rip off. You are paying a lot of money for those "free" excursions and in this case not getting anything for it.

We are on this cruise in October 2015. They have a no charge "Day at Luxor" tour which they ought to be offering you, as well:

Day At Luxor

Light Activity /Walking

Duration: 11 1/2 hours

Tour Code: saf-e03

The cheapest cabin is $1,900 more next year. The cabin we have on this year's cruise will be $2,300 more in 2015. Business Class upgrades are $500 more each way next year. So if they're throwing in a $100 each excursion next year, why not? Add only this up and our cost this year would be $3,300 more in 2015.

Now if you want to talk cheap, the 2 day overnight to Luxor includes ONLY one bottle of beer!

Edited by StarFlyr

The cheapest cabin is $1,900 more next year. The cabin we have on this year's cruise will be $2,300 more in 2015. Business Class upgrades are $500 more each way next year. So if they're throwing in a $100 each excursion next year, why not? Add only this up and our cost this year would be $3,300 more in 2015.

Now if you want to talk cheap, the 2 day overnight to Luxor includes ONLY one bottle of beer!

It sounds like you are fortunate to be on your cruise this year instead of next year. I assume that Regent is using the same formula for "included" or "premium" excursions as they use for other cruises. If the cost to them exceeds a certain dollar amount, it is passed on to passengers.

While one bottle of beer sounds "cheap", you will be in a Muslim country. We took a 3 night pre-cruise excursion to Capadoccia, Turkey (also Muslim) and most restaurants do not even serve alcohol. Unfortunately, alcohol is hard to come by in these countries.

Even with all of the necessary changes, I hope you enjoy your cruise and that you will report back to let us know how it was:)

While one bottle of beer sounds "cheap", you will be in a Muslim country. We took a 3 night pre-cruise excursion to Capadoccia, Turkey (also Muslim) and most restaurants do not even serve alcohol. Unfortunately, alcohol is hard to come by in these countries.

The locals in Cairo would go to American chain hotels (e.g., Marriott, Hilton, etc.) for their alcohol fix.

When my husband and I were in Istanbul we had no problem ordering alcohol, beer or wine. Tourism is a huge part of Turkey's economy (and also Egypt's when tensions are low) so it behooves them to make alcohol available to foreign visitors, even if it is limited to selected hotels/restaurants.

Edited by Winner
punctuation

yes, absolutely no problem buying alcohol in Turkey. I've spent days in Istanbul and it was never a problem, and most times, ate outside the hotel, which was not a chain and had its own bar. Also spent a couple of nights at the Museum Hotel in Cappadocia, and they had a fully stocked bar and full wine list. It was not an American chain hotel. In Dubai, have not been to independent restaurants, but the Park Hyatt sure was well stocked. But on one port stop in Saudi Arabia several years ago on SS, even the ship's bars had to be closed, and all alcohol removed from the cabins.

I hope those of you who are disappointed in these changes regarding Israel will be happy with the substitutions provided. Luxor is just a fantastic port. I learned long ago to just go with the flow when it comes to weather or political problems that sometimes force changes to itineraries.

I too have never had any trouble buying alcohol in turkey. Ouzo is practically the national drink, and Turks drink it ALOT. Even in cappadocia, no problem. And not expensive.

My son lived in Cairo, and he had no problem buying beer and wine. Just like here, not every restaurant serves alcohol, but a lot do.

When my husband and I were in Istanbul we had no problem ordering alcohol, beer or wine. Tourism is a huge part of Turkey's economy (and also Egypt's when tensions are low) so it behooves them to make alcohol available to foreign visitors, even if it is limited to selected hotels/restaurants.

We also had no difficulty ordering alcohol in Istanbul. I was talking about the interior of Turkey where some restaurants did not serve alcohol at all. In Capadoccia, the hotel restaurant had alcohol but the drinks were a bit pricey. When we were in Cairo, all of the major hotels had alcohol (wish I could remember the prices but I don't). My thought was that Regent may only permit 1 alcoholic drink due to the price of alcohol in Islamic countries. On the other hand, I could be totally wrong:o

Edited by Travelcat2

yes, absolutely no problem buying alcohol in Turkey. I've spent days in Istanbul and it was never a problem, and most times, ate outside the hotel, which was not a chain and had its own bar. Also spent a couple of nights at the Museum Hotel in Cappadocia, and they had a fully stocked bar and full wine list. It was not an American chain hotel. In Dubai, have not been to independent restaurants, but the Park Hyatt sure was well stocked. But on one port stop in Saudi Arabia several years ago on SS, even the ship's bars had to be closed, and all alcohol removed from the cabins.

I hope those of you who are disappointed in these changes regarding Israel will be happy with the substitutions provided. Luxor is just a fantastic port. I learned long ago to just go with the flow when it comes to weather or political problems that sometimes force changes to itineraries.

Hi jhp,

I don't have a problem with Luxor being substituted for Israel, although I'm disappointed. The thing I have the problem with is Regent charging for the only 2 cultural trips they are offering at this port of call. To add insult to injury, they have actually increased the price of one of the tours which was showing as £81pp at the weekend and is now £93pp! I think they should be ashamed of themselves for not offering at least one cultural trip at this port which is inclusive. We have had to have what is for many people a massive change to the itinerary and on top of that, Regent want more money from us for the alternative provided. I think it's disgraceful. I'm still waiting for a response to my email sent on Monday, we are now Thursday and still nothing. How little regard they appear to have for the people who pay their salaries.

I can understand your concern about Luxor. Particularly since you originally thought you would be in Israel, and they have a couple of all day cultural tours that are included in the price, at least the one itinerary I saw. Hope this gets worked out for you.

As for the concern of another poster about one beer or drink per passenger for a meal on an excursion, as I remember this has always been the case. If you want another one, you just order and pay for it. I've never thought this to be a big deal.

I too have never had any trouble buying alcohol in turkey. Ouzo is practically the national drink, and Turks drink it ALOT. Even in cappadocia, no problem. And not expensive.

My son lived in Cairo, and he had no problem buying beer and wine. Just like here, not every restaurant serves alcohol, but a lot do.

Rachel, there have been wars fought over lesser insults than this! Ouzo is the "national drink" of Greece. In Turkey the similar drink is raki. Not that I want to nitpick. :) :)

Rachel, there have been wars fought over lesser insults than this! Ouzo is the "national drink" of Greece. In Turkey the similar drink is raki. Not that I want to nitpick. :) :)

You are absolutely correct regarding the names! But as far as I can tell, they are the same thing.