1430 flight from MCO after Allure cruise

We are sailing on the Allure on 24th. We have a hire car which we shall park at the official on site port everglades parking.

Our flight is from orlando at 1430. I would like to arrive by 1230 to give ample time for rental return.

What time would you be aiming to disembark, allowing for bad traffic etc?

We are sailing on the Allure on 24th. We have a hire car which we shall park at the official on site port everglades parking.

Our flight is from orlando at 1430. I would like to arrive by 1230 to give ample time for rental return.

I would try to get off the ship and through customs no later than 8am, allowing some time for processing at the rental car office.

Edited by clarea

Looking at Mapquest, that is a good three to four hours drive. Add in getting your car from the parking garage, I would say four hours for the drive is a good estimate. Therefore, to be there by 12:30 you should be on the road by 8:30, The only way to assure that you can make this tight schedule is to carry off your own luggage as soon as they start deboarding. They often start self deboarding around 6:30 to 7:00.

Is this an international flight you are trying to make? If it is, you better check with your airline to find out how early you are supposed to be at the airport, this flight might be too early.

Is this an international flight you are trying to make? If it is, you better check with your airline to find out how early you are supposed to be at the airport, this flight might be too early.

This is a very good point. If it is an international flight there is probably an earlier check in requirement at the airport. I believe in general for international flights from the US you need to check in at the airport 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time. This time requirement can differ based on your airline.

If you are flying internationally you would need to be at the airport to check in for your 1430 flight at 1300. You would need to turn in the rental car before that time and with the drive being just over 4 hours (in good traffic conditions) that leaves you just 30 minutes to turn in the car and get to your airline ticket counter to check in.

You need to be off the ship with the first people disembarking. If you can carry off your luggage, so much the better....with a goal of getting through customs by 8:30am for sure.

People have checked MapQuest, and that is fine. I live 30 minutes north of Port Everglades and getting to Orlando, would take me 3 1/2 hours.....so anticipating a 4 hour drive minimum is accurate. Since it is Sunday morning, you won't hit a 'business traffic', since it isn't a Mon-Friday morning -- but still you probably need to plan to stop for bathroom breaks at least.

If it is an international flight, you have to take into consideration other issues....but the EARLIER you depart the ship the better.

I would strongly advise doing the luggage walk off. You have to allow a minimum of 4 to 4 1/2 hours to get to the airport and return your rental car. I make the trip from northwest of Orlando frequently using the Florida Turnpike. If you go the speed limit or slightly above the distance to the airport will be about 210 miles and take you a little over three hours to get there, with no delays.

You will be time restricted. Once you clear customs get your bags and get to the parking garage, you will be at least an hour. The drive time to Orlando airport can be up to 3 plus hours. All the rental car facilities are located 2-3 miles from the airport. So once you check your car in, you get on shuttle to airport, which can be up to 20 min drive to airport. Orlando airport has some of the longest Security lines. You have people coming from Disneyworld, Universal studios, and the cruises out of Port Canaveral. Sorry this is long. Wanted to give you entire package.

I honestly would look into a car service to take you from Port Everglades to MCO - yes, it will be expensive, but I can't imagine it would be more expensive than paying the cost of renting a car and leaving it in a parking garage for a week! That seems like an expense that can be avoided

If you can get self-debarkation and have a one-way car service, you don't have to worry about taking the car back, the car service will drop you at the check-in counter and you can go on your way.

(Or, at the very least, look at a one-way rental on your date of return, so you're not paying for the car sitting there.)

You will be time restricted. Once you clear customs get your bags and get to the parking garage, you will be at least an hour. The drive time to Orlando airport can be up to 3 plus hours. All the rental car facilities are located 2-3 miles from the airport. So once you check your car in, you get on shuttle to airport, which can be up to 20 min drive to airport. Orlando airport has some of the longest Security lines. You have people coming from Disneyworld, Universal studios, and the cruises out of Port Canaveral. Sorry this is long. Wanted to give you entire package.

This is not true of Avis, Budget, Hertz, and probably more. These companies are located in the parking lot at the airport, across the street from the terminal buildings.

EDIT: Found the list ot On-Premises rental companies:

http://www.orlandoairports.net/transport/rental_cars.htm

I would definitely use one of the companies in the on-premises list.

Edited by clarea

I would aim at being off the ship at a minimum 8 hours prior to the flight from MCO. 1 hour to clear customs and get car, 4 hours to drive, 1 hour to return car, and be at the airport 2 hours prior to the flight. That gives you a bit wiggle room for traffic, potty stops, gas stops, etc. The last time we flew out of that airport (on a Sunday) we arrived two hours prior to the flight and we almost missed our flight. Security at MCO is notoriously slow nationwide due to the large number of vacationing families with all sorts of liquids, strollers, and other small children gear.

Are you flying out of MCO due to price? Just curious about your motivation if you're willing to share. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Extra warning about the time needed:

Sunday is a VERY busy day at MCO.

Do you have TSA pre-chek or some other "fast pass" type clearance!

not knowing any of the above answers yet which may further complicate things,

- be ready (down on deck 5) to walk off the ship by 615am to give yourself plenty of time.

- Spend the time in line to get a printout of your charges early the night before and to be sure you will not have to deal with any account issues (disputed charges, that you may owe money, or if your credit card has a problem).

- When you drop off the car at the port garage make sure you understand payment and shuttle options so you don't waste time there.

- Choose one of the MCO in airport, on-site dropoff, preferably major brands (lots of outlets nationwide). Ask when you rent the car how the dropoff will be.

- if you have data on your smart phone available get the Waze directions app which can warn you of traffic jams on the road ahead and reroute you if needed. Traffic will be low on a but accidents and construction can always happen.

I did the walk-off last week on Oasis which was super easy even with pushing someone in a wheelchair (and not needing any special priority lines). I have also used National at MCO several times, and the dropoff to the airport is always speedy. However, it is almost certain that you will face an 10 to 30+ minute wait for security at MCO unless you are part of a pre-clearance program. Some airlines (like JetBlue at FLL) allow you to pay extra for the shortcut , "more speed" line, but I don't think that is yet an option at MCO.

All in all, without further info, I think you should make it, but you will have to focus on walking fast and not driving too fast! Good luck.

Thanks for all the detailed replies.

We are actually Avis so is on site at MCO.

We are domestic for this leg. Crazy as it seems we fly with AA to MIA connecting onto our BA flight home. To route home direct from MIA would have cost over £2000 ($3500) more! If I miss a leg, then the remainder of the itinerary is cancelled.

The car hire was included with our flights. I have considered just dropping it back a week early, but the $120 for the car park is a lot cheaper (and I figured just as quick as a private transfer as I go faster if necessary!) than getting a car and a one way rental would take longer to sort. We have over a week in Florida prior to our cruise, so we can also leave our dirties in the car.

Am familiar with the roads in FL and am confident on making my connections. Was just curious as to request the first exit time (where bags are sorted, whatever time that is) or whether I would have to do the self debark route.

If I am on the road by 0830 I will be confident.

On our last Allure cruise we rented a car and drove to Orlando. No traffic issues but, as Merion Mom said, MCO security can be rather slow at peak travel times. I would do self disembark just keep things from getting to stressful. You can be off the ship through customs and on the road early. Barring the extraordinary you should have no problems.

This is not true of Avis, Budget, Hertz, and probably more. These companies are located in the parking lot at the airport, across the street from the terminal buildings.

EDIT: Found the list ot On-Premises rental companies:

http://www.orlandoairports.net/transport/rental_cars.htm

I would definitely use one of the companies in the on-premises list.

Everytime I have rented from MCO, I had to get in bus and drive off site to get rental car. I have not rented from there in a few years; so yes, maybe they have relocated all the cars to airport.

We live very close to MCO and were on Allure only last month. We walked off Allure with our own bags at 7.15 which was a breeze, we had parked our car in the car park by the ship and we were through customs/immigration and on the road home by 8.00am.

We were home in our house before midday and that included stopping at one of the rest stations half way home to grab a coffee. The roads were quiet and the drive was fairly straight forward as normal.

We always take the turnpike and have never had any issues.

Hope that helps.

We did self-disembark from the Allure this Sunday. We came into port later than normal (about 5:20 or so). Breakfast in the Windjammer opened at 5am and we were eating at 5:30. We left our cabin at 6:10 and were through customs and in a taxi on our way to FLL by 6:30 (My be a bit longer for you since we are American Citizens). If you did carry your own luggage off and everything went according to plan you could do it. We actually wished we had booked the 8:30 flight!

Just a tip, they won't let you take the escalator to customs if you don't have a hand free, the elevator line was about 20 people long when we got there. I rode the escalator with my passport, sea pass, declaration between my teeth just so I could have a hand free! It saved us a bunch of time though!