New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Every cruise line has its own standards, styles, techniques, idiosyncrasies, traditions and other characteristics that are unique. It has been suggested that we set up a sticky thread for folks who are new to Holland America but not necessarily new cruisers. Contributions by folks who have sailed on other lines as well as on HAL would be appreciated.

This thread is not intended to replace individual threads discussing specific issues. Rather it is intended to point out things that might be helpful to those who are cruising on Holland America for the first time.

My favorite user manuals for computers and associated software are the "Dummies" series, so that's the title I chose for this thread.

By the way, thus is not intended to replace the HAL Facts thread which has a different purpose.

Here's a thread on the First Time Cruisers board that may give you some ideas...but make sure your posts are specific to HAL. "I wish I knew before..."

My question? Are the digiatl photo workshops only offered in windows? what about Macs? I would be interested if they were for Mac's too. I see no reference for Mac's, Thanks

Um.... It's Saturday evening here in Anchorage, and we're supposed to set sail tomorrow for an Alaskan cruise, so I went to review my account one last time.... and got a message saying that "the ship has sailed." And I cannot get into my account. All of my boarding and schedule info says that the departure is on the 29th in the evening.... What's up with this? My anxiety is already through the roof; I really don't need this. I can't imagine that we've somehow missed our cruise???

Um.... It's Saturday evening here in Anchorage, and we're supposed to set sail tomorrow for an Alaskan cruise, so I went to review my account one last time.... and got a message saying that "the ship has sailed." And I cannot get into my account. All of my boarding and schedule info says that the departure is on the 29th in the evening.... What's up with this? My anxiety is already through the roof; I really don't need this. I can't imagine that we've somehow missed our cruise???

I would have immediately called HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am consideringHolland America for our next cruise. We have sailed four different t cruise lines and I know each differs. My questions are:1) which food venues are included and which have an extra charge ? 2) how can I find more information about the spa facilities on different ships? Are you able to purchase a week pass for the spa and what would that include ?

The main dining room, lido deck, and dive-in / ny pizza are all included. The Pinnacle Grill, Canneleto, Tamarind, and Sel DeMar (all depending on which ship) are an extra surcharge. However, I have found there is no real need to spend the extra for those restaurants as their food is amazing. There is a week pass for the hydro pool and thermo beds. All of the others items are separately billed (massages, pedicures, etc.). Once you are booked, you can go into HAL website and click on the tab to book these, it will show pricing and availability. I hope this helps some.

The main dining room, lido deck, and dive-in / ny pizza are all included. The Pinnacle Grill, Canneleto, Tamarind, and Sel DeMar (all depending on which ship) are an extra surcharge. However, I have found there is no real need to spend the extra for those restaurants as their food is amazing. There is a week pass for the hydro pool and thermo beds. All of the others items are separately billed (massages, pedicures, etc.). Once you are booked, you can go into HAL website and click on the tab to book these, it will show pricing and availability. I hope this helps some.

Dive in is a great choice for lunch

I have sailed on the Oosterdam a few times. I noticed that the shows on the main stage have not changed the last two sailings (admittedly only a few months apart). Are the main stage performances different on different ships? How often do they change on one ship?

I do wonder if I should intentionally book different ships and/or different cruise lines if I start to cruise more often.

I have sailed on the Oosterdam a few times. I noticed that the shows on the main stage have not changed the last two sailings (admittedly only a few months apart). Are the main stage performances different on different ships? How often do they change on one ship?

I do wonder if I should intentionally book different ships and/or different cruise lines if I start to cruise more often.

Yes

After 5-10 years

Yes, you should. Variety is the spice of life

I will be on Eurodam to Alaska this month. Am thinking of booking a Retreat Cabana. But I can't tell if it will be enclosed like the Lido cabana's are? Does anyone have experience with cabanas on an Alaska cruise?

There are curtains that can be drawn.

The performers contract usually run 3-6 months long. So, generally the show will change every 3-6 months or so. The crew show does not vary too much as their contracts are longer.

What bath products can we expect to find in our stateroom? (We'll be in a Signature Suite on the Zuiderdam, if that has any bearing on the answer.) I am sure there will be shampoo and shower gel, but what about hair conditioner and body lotion?

Thanks for any info, we start packing shortly. You have all been a great help in the run up to our first HAL cruise!

Are capri pants (like I would wear to dinner in a nice restaurant here in Florida) acceptable for casual nights in the MDR?

First EXC cruise for Maasdam, 34-night Kon Tiki Voyager, 9/10/18. Thinking this whole new concept may be a bit more casual.

Are capri pants (like I would wear to dinner in a nice restaurant here in Florida) acceptable for casual nights in the MDR?

First EXC cruise for Maasdam, 34-night Kon Tiki Voyager, 9/10/18. Thinking this whole new concept may be a bit more casual.

IMHO, yes!

What bath products can we expect to find in our stateroom? (We'll be in a Signature Suite on the Zuiderdam, if that has any bearing on the answer.) I am sure there will be shampoo and shower gel, but what about hair conditioner and body lotion?

Yes to all four; they are Elemis products. The shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner are in large bottles attached to the shower wall. The lotion is in a smaller bottle by the sink. It's easily portable to the bed area if you use it there.

The performers contract usually run 3-6 months long. So, generally the show will change every 3-6 months or so. The crew show does not vary too much as their contracts are longer.
The performers (singers and dancers) may change when their 9 month contract is over, unless it is renewed for another 9 months.

But the big production shows cost a lot, hence they run for years (with different performers)

Yes to all four; they are Elemis products. The shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner are in large bottles attached to the shower wall. The lotion is in a smaller bottle by the sink. It's easily portable to the bed area if you use it there.

Ruth, thanks as always for your invaluable help.

BTW, I keep forgetting to say that I love your signature line. (For me though, as a female, I not only love chocolate, but I also love duct tape, and never travel without some! :D)

Thanks for any info, we start packing shortly. You have all been a great help in the run up to our first HAL cruise!

Hi how are you both??? We are leaving on a two week Alaska Zaandam end of the month!!! Where are you going???? Have not been on HAL in a few years!!! X is not what it used to be sadly!

Hi how are you both??? We are leaving on a two week Alaska Zaandam end of the month!!! Where are you going???? Have not been on HAL in a few years!!! X is not what it used to be sadly!

Hello back!! Unless your email address has changed, you have mail. :D

(If it has, please let me know.)

MDH and I have 13 Celebrity cruises under our belt and due to recent experiences decided that whether it was our tastes changing, or Celebrity's vibe changing, it was time to try something new. After a three year hiatus from cruising we have booked our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for February 3, 2019 in cabin 7106. It has been too long! We are taking my 80 yo mother and her cousin, they'll be in the cabin next door (7110). We are very excited about the music venues and the specialty dining. My mother and husband are very excited about "high tea". My question for the experienced crowd here...I need reassurance that the aft cabins we booked were a good choice. I want cabins above and below for sound management and I wanted a balcony that my 6'2" husband could sit on without hugging his knees. I read in one of the threads on CC that the mid-ship verandas are very shallow (4' deep) and decided to go for aft on the navigation deck to get a standard balcony depth. Thoughts? Experience with these cabins or similar? Thanks for any input offered. Happy cruising!

MDH and I have 13 Celebrity cruises under our belt and due to recent experiences decided that whether it was our tastes changing, or Celebrity's vibe changing, it was time to try something new. After a three year hiatus from cruising we have booked our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for February 3, 2019 in cabin 7106. It has been too long! We are taking my 80 yo mother and her cousin, they'll be in the cabin next door (7110). We are very excited about the music venues and the specialty dining. My mother and husband are very excited about "high tea". My question for the experienced crowd here...I need reassurance that the aft cabins we booked were a good choice. I want cabins above and below for sound management and I wanted a balcony that my 6'2" husband could sit on without hugging his knees. I read in one of the threads on CC that the mid-ship verandas are very shallow (4' deep) and decided to go for aft on the navigation deck to get a standard balcony depth. Thoughts? Experience with these cabins or similar? Thanks for any input offered. Happy cruising!

"Tea" on HAL is nice but not special.

"High Tea" on HAL is *spiffy*, but in the style Dutch royalty uses (buffet for everything but

the tea), rather than English style (3-tier stand at your table).