3 oz. containers

In your dreams

Has anyone used those little brown prescription bottles for liquid to carry on the plane? Are they 3 oz. bottles?. Perhaps a dumb question, but I've got a ton of them and I know they are leak-proof.

Don't bring a container that holds 3oz. Even if it's not full, they can just take it away. An exception would be a prescribed medicine in the original container. You can find leakproof containers of the correct size that are pretty inexpensive.

Do you have a measuring cup?

Just fill up the container with water then pour into the measuring cup..if more than 3 oz then NO you cannot take them in your carry-on

You can put them in your checked bag but I would make sure it is in a plastic bag in case it does leak

Most of cosmetics are in less than 3oz containers. Look at your labels.. I would never put stuff from one bottle into another. Even bottles of liquid foundation are less than the allowable amount. Just stick it all in a QT. ziploc, and be done with it. You you need more space, use your hubby's ziploc...you can each bring one....even tho he doesn't need all of his! Use his space...that's what hubby's are for!

Edited by cb at sea

Has anyone used those little brown prescription bottles for liquid to carry on the plane? Are they 3 oz. bottles?. Perhaps a dumb question, but I've got a ton of them and I know they are leak-proof.

Since the contents aren't identifiable there might be a problem with TSA.

Rather than pour lotion or shampoo or conditioner into one of those I'd purchase the small easily identified travel size. If your stores don't have them and you haven't collected any from hotels, you can purchase them at Minimus.biz

I've purchased 1, 2 and 3 oz containers at REI. For anything needing a smaller container I recycle eye drop vials and contact lens cases.

The vials hold Argan oil and shampoo. The lens case holds hair gel and hair cement. Another one holds Vaseline.

When we take carry-on I transfer sun lotion to small 100 ml bottles for the 311 bag ..never been questioned by TSA

in fact last trip I forgot to put the baggie in the try ..it was still in te front pocket of my suitcase

no questions asked

I did once or twice, and stopped. Mine leaked (from Walgreens). If I use them, I always put in a ziplock.

Now I use mine for small non-liquids like Q-tips, flossettes. Trip over- toss leftovers, no need to carry them back.

When we take carry-on I transfer sun lotion to small 100 ml bottles for the 311 bag ..never been questioned by TSA

in fact last trip I forgot to put the baggie in the try ..it was still in te front pocket of my suitcase

no questions asked

They've stopped asking to get the liquids out a couple of years ago. Also if you are 75 you don't take your shoes off.

They've stopped asking to get the liquids out a couple of years ago. Also if you are 75 you don't take your shoes off.

Where did you get the bolded? When we flew in June, there were plenty of signs saying to take your liquids out.

I have also flown in the past and forgotten to take out my 3-1-1 bag and nothing's been said, but I'm pretty sure they still prefer you take the bag out and let it go through xray separately.

We had a recent experience with a 'job's worth' at Heathrow who refused to allow any bottle through which was not marked with 100ml. She took my shampoo which was in a Walmart travel container which was a slightly different shape from normal, and dumped it. I had used this container regularly crossing the Atlantic with no problem but not this time.

The American lady in front of me had all her toiletries disposed of as her containers also had no marking on them. She was hopping mad, but what can you do, they have the power to confiscate liquids.

Since then I have searched for containers which are marked up 100ml and many of the expensive ones don't fit the bill. In fact, I bought some from Boots (UK) and they only had paper labels which would eventually wash off. However, Primark do a set which are fully marked up with the size imprinted within the plastic, for just £1. I know this doesn't help our American friends, but just be warned.

We have never had this happen before or since, but people were getting very upset when their toiletries were ditched despite being in travel sized containers.

Her reasoning was that she did not know what size the containers were.

Just hope the time she spent interrogating a lady of senior years was worth the time, and that she did not miss a potential terrorist in the meantime! I have no problem with security but this was just ridiculous.

Which airport doesn't require you to take out the 311 bag and put it in the bin?

The airports I've flown out of this year still require that ziplock bag to be out.

You are correct though about those over 75 not having to take off shoes. My 83 year old DH is glad of that.

Which airport doesn't require you to take out the 311 bag and put it in the bin?

The airports I've flown out of this year still require that ziplock bag to be out.

You are correct though about those over 75 not having to take off shoes. My 83 year old DH is glad of that.

SFO and OAK (San Francisco and Oakland)

I agree with Ellie- Heathrow has some of the most arrogant and arbitrary security people we have ever come across.

My wife had a bottle of cough medicine and she actually poured some in the little cup and drank it and they made her dispose of it.

On one flight we had a one hour connection , and I begged the person to fast track us and she refused, and proceeded to take everything out of my carry on and back pack. It was nothing more than a power trip by this person.

I did not understand what Ellie meant by "job's worth" and I looked it up

Here is a translation from the English to the American of Ellie's comment about "job's worth":

"Jobsworth" is a British colloquial word derived from the phrase "I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth", meaning it might lose the person their job: taking the initiative and performing an action, and perhaps in the process breaking a rule, is beyond what the person feels their job description allows. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "A person in authority (esp. a minor official) who insists on adhering to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense of common sense."

Edited by Talisker92

We had a recent experience with a 'job's worth' at Heathrow who refused to allow any bottle through which was not marked with 100ml. She took my shampoo which was in a Walmart travel container which was a slightly different shape from normal, and dumped it. I had used this container regularly crossing the Atlantic with no problem but not this time.

The American lady in front of me had all her toiletries disposed of as her containers also had no marking on them. She was hopping mad, but what can you do, they have the power to confiscate liquids.

Since then I have searched for containers which are marked up 100ml and many of the expensive ones don't fit the bill. In fact, I bought some from Boots (UK) and they only had paper labels which would eventually wash off. However, Primark do a set which are fully marked up with the size imprinted within the plastic, for just £1. I know this doesn't help our American friends, but just be warned.

We have never had this happen before or since, but people were getting very upset when their toiletries were ditched despite being in travel sized containers.

Her reasoning was that she did not know what size the containers were.

Just hope the time she spent interrogating a lady of senior years was worth the time, and that she did not miss a potential terrorist in the meantime! I have no problem with security but this was just ridiculous.

I do not understand this happening. If the rule is 100 ml or less, than that's what should be permitted. It makes no difference what one lady knows or doesn't know. I would have demanded to speak with a supervisor.

Scott & Karen

The over 75 removal of shoes rule does not apply everywhere. In Venice this year when I suggested that my OH didn't need to take off his shoes because he is 75, the Official told me "We don't have that rule here"

By the expression on his face, I felt he knew all about the "rule" but wasn't going to adhere to it.

Edited by Jay23