Honestly, how do you long-time RC cruisers feel about Dynamic Dining?

The choices sound interesting enough, it is the scheduling that iI'm not looking forward to. I'm on vacation, I really don't want to have to pre-plan every dinner or miss getting the restaurant I choose.... maybe the night we book the Grande we will be too tired to dress up, after being out in the sun all day- who knows? Nothing can be done on a casual basis it seems? This is all being rolled out as improving choices, but I think it's more for their convenience than mine....:rolleyes:

This is exactly why I sat down, as soon as we could make reservations, and booked all restaurants around the port schedule. I don't want to drink a lot of wine at the Chef's Table the night before an early port day, as an example of how I did it. After booking restaurants, I then booked shows around my dining times. It was time consuming and not the way I had envisioned it when I booked Quantum on the day of release. But it had to be done, just this once. The only thing that might mess up my schedule would be a C&A party or any special invitations.

Instead of being more relaxing, this dynamic dining seems overly regimented to me from the start. I now need to keep a list of where to go and when to go there.

I'm glad to be able to see the ship, but it will just be this once, I'm sure.

Gina

The choices sound interesting enough, it is the scheduling that iI'm not looking forward to. I'm on vacation, I really don't want to have to pre-plan every dinner or miss getting the restaurant I choose.... maybe the night we book the Grande we will be too tired to dress up, after being out in the sun all day- who knows? Nothing can be done on a casual basis it seems? This is all being rolled out as improving choices, but I think it's more for their convenience than mine....:rolleyes:

You always run that risk on a formal night. I don't understand the difference

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

First off we are D+ with C&A currently doing about 4 cruises per year

We have 4 booked at this time 2, seven day a nine day and a twelve day.

Now my 2 cents worth

We will not sail on any ship that only offers DD only if they want our money they can offer traditional dinning or at least my time dinning!

Yes this includes the existing booking that I will not hesitate to cancel and rebook on a different line!

I am curious why you are so opposed to it without even trying it? Granted my knowledge of this concept is really limited to basically the dining room is split into 5 separate venues and you set your dining time like my time dining. My wife and I love having dinner in the dining room and I think this concept might not be too bad. I did rotational dining on Disney which I thought I would really not enjoy but it was actually fun. Rotational dining is clearly not dynamic dining as we had the same wait staff night after night on Disney.

I never said anything about REMOVING tips -- I wrote about tipping EXTRA!!! I would remove a tip that unless service was so rotten that it needed to be brought to the Head Waiter's attention.

You said that you wouldn't be able to give them extra tips. Thus they are losing out. That would be a deduction from what you are saying you would do in a traditional dining.

I'm sorry that I'm not literal enough for you with every single post.

You said that you wouldn't be able to give them extra tips. Thus they are losing out. That would be a deduction from what you are saying you would do in a traditional dining.

I'm sorry that I'm not literal enough for you with every single post.

I said that I would tip extra in cash on a night when we had exceptional service if we did DD. We add tips to the standard when we dine in specialty restaurants now or in bars for great service.

Your sarcasm shows that you are such a cheerleader of DD that you are not reading what I am saying because your position differs from mine. You are just looking for put-downs.

Edited by SherriZ366

I said that I would tip extra in cash on a night when we had exceptional service if we did DD. We add tips to the standard when we dine in specialty restaurants now or in bars for great service.

Your sarcasm shows that you are such a cheerleader of DD that you are not reading what I am saying because your position differs from mine. You are just looking for put-downs.

Also, if FR does have only DD on 2-22-2015, I will do a lot of pre-planning work to get dining that the 4 of us like and still sail. So I am much more open-minded than you are implying.

We just returned from 8 days in Disney (orlando)

I hated the fact that we had to make dining reservations every night if the week...and also to find that some venues booked up faster than others...

I also did not care for the "Pay as you Go"...of course, all you needed to do was swipe your magic band....

And the Newbies...those not savvy to booking online ahead of time....they were out of luck completely, without any reservations.

We kept telling each other how we missed being on a cruise ship....no worries about dining each night.

And now, I am reading this.

BTW, with Disney, magic bands, etc, you can also purchase different levels of dining plans ahead of time.....and people are always counting their "credits" and how many will be used at each dining venue.

I was initially amazed at the technology Disney had adopted...very high tech and sophisticated....but after a while, I longed to be on a Cruise ship were things are much simpler...

Watch out...look for it.

We have cruised more than 15 times, and with one exception, always had "fixed time" dining. We looked forward to meeting up with the same group of six of eight people at dinner every night, and by the end of many of these cruises had made some wonderful new friends.

The one exception, where we encountered a similar process to what is being proposed by RCCL, was on on our one and only "Norwegian" cruise. Because we never spent more than one meal with the same group of people, much of the social aspect of cruising was lost.

And the idea that one has to make dinner reservations every day just adds a little unneeded stress to the vacation. If RCCL rolls this out fleet-wide, we'll move to another line that still offers "fixed time" dining.

I am torn. On one hand we love variety when dinning. On the other hand I have cognitive impairment that makes researching and planning impossible. Also I have no way to predict how I will feel on any given day. We like My time dinning.

The major problem with Dynamic Dining is the elimination of the MDR. It seems like most of the people looking forward to DD currently do My Time Dining. Royal should have included a Traditional MDR option for those who enjoy it and offer the complimentary new restaurants to those with MTD.

I like having a standing reservation for the same time every night at the same table in the same MDR with the same waitstaff and tablemates. Not looking forward to Dynamic Dining in regard to the elimination of tablemates for solos and fewer menu choices. The Grand menu looks good, however, I don't bring a jacket and tie with me. The American Icon menu is the only one I'll be able to eat of the 4.

If DD goes fleetwide and no more MDR, then short 3 or 4 night cruises only and save the longer ones for another cruiseline or consider land based only vacations in the future. Perhaps I should use my Diamond C&A reciprocal MLife benefit and go to Las Vegas for my next "cruise".:rolleyes:

As long as it's handled smoothly, and I don't have to wait long for a table, it doesn't really matter. It would be nice if they had more (included) venues to chose from.

The 2 seating standard is a relic from the past, and was due to the limitations of the ships and systems at that time. It's not really necessary as technology has improved. There's no need to keep something inflexible simply due to "tradition". If they can offer flexibility to the satisfaction of the customers, then why not? Those that still want to eat at the same time every night can continue to do so, and if they want to sit with the same travelers, they can still do that too, so there doesn't seem to be any downside, as long as they keep delays to a minimum.

Totally agree. Variety and choice are good things. To each his own, as it goes. :)

We have cruised more than 15 times, and with one exception, always had "fixed time" dining. We looked forward to meeting up with the same group of six of eight people at dinner every night, and by the end of many of these cruises had made some wonderful new friends.

The one exception, where we encountered a similar process to what is being proposed by RCCL, was on on our one and only "Norwegian" cruise. Because we never spent more than one meal with the same group of people, much of the social aspect of cruising was lost.

And the idea that one has to make dinner reservations every day just adds a little unneeded stress to the vacation. If RCCL rolls this out fleet-wide, we'll move to another line that still offers "fixed time" dining.

Reservations can be made in advance of your cruise. We are on Quantum's Inaugural sailing Nov 23rd and we did all dinner and entertainment reservations about 2 months ago. Customer Service will do for you if you like. I found it a good idea to have decided on must haves before I asked for their assistance. Not a perfect system and you should plan to be a little flexible. Theoretically, you could decide on a single restaurant and time and have CS book you there every night. Assuming all goes well with your table mates, all or some of you could decide to always have dinner together. Alternatively, one could go to the Roll Call for your sailing and put together a dining group with assistance from CS.

Incorrect on all fronts.

I'm not a cheerleader of DD anymore than I'm a hater of DD. I haven't experienced it yet. I'm quite neutral, but interested in trying it to make up my mind.

I am a cheerleader of people not saying less-than-intelligent things based on fear of change, distrust of something they don't comprehend, and panic over nothing. Guilty on that front.

We are so looking forward to our b2b on Quantum to experience Dynamic Dining. We are getting a little tired of the current menus from appetizers to desserts.

We've been doing MTD since it was introduced and have enjoyed our table for 2 and the ability to be done with dinner in an hour or less.

Will we like DD, can't really say until we've tried it, but we do love the concept and are looking forward to trying something different. We also appreciate the fact that Casual to Smart Casual will be the accepted dress of the evening in all restaurants but the Grande and even that has a very relaxed formal description.

Ditto! I got this far (page one) and didn't read the rest! As always Patty, you have such reasonable opinions. And I cannot help but agree;)

I tend to be progressive, if there's a way to make it better- let's go ahead and give it try! I look forward to trying it. I'm not sure when it will roll out fleet wide? Has that been announced? We've got an Adventure cruise in April, wondering if it will be implemented by then, and wondering how they will "retrofit" older ships with really only 2 significant dining areas- can't imagine they'd take a "paid" venue like a Portifinos, out of "paid dining", so wondering where the new dining areas will be?

Edited by Familygoboston

OMG !!! Lol

Table mates AREN'T fun. It's the worst thing for me about cruising.

I'm really friendly and social at all times - talking to lots of people - apart from dinner. At dinner I really dislike sitting with others :)

On this site, many would bash you for saying such slander!! I swear, if you read some people's posts, you would think they only cruise to meet waiters & strangers at dinner..I'm like you- I like to dine with my wife ALONE, or if we are with another couple, a table for 4..I will say it again- I don't cruise to meet waiters OR to meet strangers at dinner..I cruise because I love to be at sea, love the cruise life as a style of vacation, love the ports of call, love the shows & entertainment ( not all is good, but some is..)..many who have met me at the Meet & Greets or Sailaways can't believe how friendly & sociable I am- but at dinner I prefer to dine with my wife alone...we also much prefer the specialty venues, as both food & ambiance are so much better in there..mac & cheese, dry thin steaks, and chicken with a baked potato is NOT my idea of fine dining..I always tell people most of MDR's on the 29 cruises we've done on 7 cruise lines are like wedding food, and mostly I find it "OK" to "not bad" , etc..food, of course, is THEE most subjective topic on these boards..I know people who NEVER have dined in the specialty restaurants, and I know people who dine every night in specialty only..we like to do 2-3x on a 7 night cruise to specialty venues..we love the table for 2 by the window over looking the sea, the much better entrees and MUCH better sides ( they often are to DIE for!!) , the appetizers like crab cakes, escargots & shrimp cocktail, and desserts like creme brulee ( YUUMMM) that you will NEVER have in the MDR..most important, I am NOT cheap, and I believe my wife DESERVES to dine in a special, romantic place..dining with 1500-2000 loud passengers eating catered food is not what I had in mind..jus MHO..

Big Al

When we were on the FOS two weeks ago, the Hotel Director said the current thought was one deck would be Silk, another Grand, and he did not remember the third. He definitely mentioned that more than one deck would be rethemed and renamed.

The Captain also said some executives from Miami were due on board on 8/17. It would be interesting to hear if the Captains info is different after the visit from Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed the 8/17 FOS cruise and saw the execs on board touring the ship early on the 17th.

The information that was presented at our C&A events was as you describe. In addition they mentioned that a Mexican-themed restaurant was being added as well.

All Ive read here and on Facebook is "we are done with Royal Caribbean if this goes fleetwide :mad:"

Maybe if all the people that say they are leaving will actually leave, prices will come down for those of us who choose to stay. :):D

Giving up Diamond and Diamond + status over a dining concept? REALLY?

Hate to be so blunt but the overdramatizing over something that hasnt even been rolled out blows me away. Reminds me of before Oasis and Allure were built.

Why are you surprised?

The concepts that are designed to bring on new cruisers will certainly drive some away .

I feel I have lost nothing by not sailing the Oasis . I, as others prefer the ships that keep things simple .To each their own .

All Ive read here and on Facebook is "we are done with Royal Caribbean if this goes fleetwide :mad:"

Maybe if all the people that say they are leaving will actually leave, prices will come down for those of us who choose to stay. :):D

Giving up Diamond and Diamond + status over a dining concept? REALLY?

Hate to be so blunt but the overdramatizing over something that hasnt even been rolled out blows me away. Reminds me of before Oasis and Allure were built.

"RCI will fail!" "We will NEVER sail those ships" "They will NEVER fill those ships" "This will bankrupt RCI"!

Yeah, right. I will don the flame suit now

I can't say I won't like it, I can't say I will like it....and as you aptly put it "overdramatizing over something that hasn't even been rolled out.....".

I haven't been a fan of the Specialty dining venues, because I can't see paying additional for a 'type of food' that will be served in the MDR as part of my cruise fare. On our last cruise on Allure, DH and I did enjoy a dinner at Izumi, but Japanese food is not offered in any way in the MDR (and we go out for Japanese food when at home, anyway).

Will I like DD - don't know....but if it is on a cruise that want to take, I guess I will experience it. I won't rule out the cruise simply because it has DD on it, that is for sure.

I agree with some of the other posts. My DH and I make friends with the people we eat with. In fact, we keep in touch with some of them. I prefer the familiarity of our waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter getting to know us. Personally, we tip better because of that familiarity and I believe that is going to be lost with Dynamic Dining. On to new adventures...I guess!

I'm looking forward to Dynamic Dining. I like the idea of the "theme restaurants," although I'm not as convinced it's as huge a shift as people make it out to be, from a food perspective. There are already dishes that fit in each of the categories served on different nights, so being able to pick them definitively is a plus to me (no more guessing what night is lamb shank night, I'll just go get a lamb shank from wherever).

i am also cautiously optimistic it will result in an impovement in the food. Instead of thousands of the same entrees being turned out a night (for the "big four" free ones), you get a reduced factor of four. (i.e., a silk kitchen, chic kitchen, etc) It is still prepared "banquet style", but hopefully the repitition and focus will result in better quality. That's pure speculation of course.

The one challenge I see, as other's have mentioned, is that it adds another element of planning. Personally, my fiancee and I like over-planning our cruises, but I completely sympathize with those who don't like doing that and having to coordinate shows and dinner. Also RC's IT challenges are well acknowledged and skepticism is well deserved. They need to prove they can handle it. This is the biggest question mark for me.

As far as table mates, it's a push for me. We've met some we liked a lot, nearly all were at least neutral, but it didn't make or break the cruise for me.

i would feel more comfortable if they truly had tested this on the Quantum class as they described -- Oasis class is a big lift.

I can't say I won't like it, I can't say I will like it....and as you aptly put it "overdramatizing over something that hasn't even been rolled out.....".

I haven't been a fan of the Specialty dining venues, because I can't see paying additional for a 'type of food' that will be served in the MDR as part of my cruise fare. On our last cruise on Allure, DH and I did enjoy a dinner at Izumi, but Japanese food is not offered in any way in the MDR (and we go out for Japanese food when at home, anyway).

Will I like DD - don't know....but if it is on a cruise that want to take, I guess I will experience it. I won't rule out the cruise simply because it has DD on it, that is for sure.

You are wrong! If you don't want to try specialty dining , fine..BUT, it is NOT the same! It's like the difference between Friday's and Ruth Chris or Morton's..maybe not quite as good, BUT the "experience" you get is NIGHT & DAY better (IMO) then the mostly mediocre MDR...How many times have you left the MDR and said "Wow-that was FANTASTIC! What a meal- can't wait for tomorrow night!!" I can tell you in 29 cruises, I have said that maybe 5 times on all cruises..it's usually, "that was ok...or "that was fine.."...BUT rarely,"AMAZING" like I've had in Chops ( 18x- all A to A+) , or Portifinos, or Disney's Palo ( A++) , or NCL's Le Bistro ( A+) or the Japanese Teppanyaki steakhouse also on NCL ( A)..I like crab cakes, Lyonnaise Potatoes, Esparagus with hollandaise sauce , parmesan truffled Fries ( yummy!!) , creme brulee, shrimp wrapped in prosciutto and more- NONE of this which you can eat in the MDR...some are satisfied with catared type food in the MDR..no thanks, I like taking my wife to a nice, romantic, low lighted, soft music place with all the goodies I just mentioned ..don't forget the table for 2 by a window over-looking the sea & sunset- another thing you will not get in the MDR...great line by a friend, who on his first cruise with us , dined in Chops on the next to last night of the cruise..I asked him if he thought the food was better & worth the extra $$- he stopped as he ate his mouth- watering 14 oz NY strip and said," I'm not stupid, or drunk, or unconscious ..of course this is better than the dining room and soooo worth it and anybody that doesn't see the difference is lying or crazy..period."... great answer!!

Change is always challenging. I liked MDR -- have sat with many great table mates. MTD was OK as well as we usually requested the same wait staff. I just hope that if I want seafood and hubby wants beef, we can eat in the same restaurant area.

As they say, as long as I am not cooking....