Honestly, how do you long-time RC cruisers feel about Dynamic Dining?

I didnt say nor even imply that everyone was at those levels. However, the majority of the "Im done with RCI if this happens" crowd have at least been Diamond from my observation.

I cant even imagine spending that kind of money with a cruise line and enjoying all those days on board only to walk away over a dining concept.

To each their own I guess.

Again I say, if everyone avoids Quantum and Anthem that says they will or even RCI altogether, maybe the prices will come down. Just maybe.

Our reason for cutting back on cruising was made for other reasons. Too many cutbacks, price increases, policy changes, along with feeling the need for more time in one location (not wanting to feel rushed before the hotel floats away).

We aren't walking away from benefits. They will be there in whatever form they may continue to be, during our fewer and farther between cruises.

We like our time on land too much. The dining options are far greater than they can ever be on a ship and there really are greater values on excellent food on land.

The walk away decision has already been made even before experiencing DD which we are looking forward to trying. This isn't saying we won't cruise. But it definitely will be far less and more impulsive and at the last minute. When and if the prices come down, we'll be back a little more often.

Also, the 16 year old cat needs more attention and detailed care than anyone can give her other than me. But that's another story. ;)

Gina

So you already hate it AND are deducting tips from people who haven't served you yet?

Do you have to visit a restaurant on land 5 times before you like the server enough to tip? Has anyone ever wowed you on the first visit?

I never said anything about REMOVING tips -- I wrote about tipping EXTRA!!! I would remove a tip that unless service was so rotten that it needed to be brought to the Head Waiter's attention. What we would probably do if we had to have DD and could not have the same wait staff would be to tip extra in cash using the same criteria we use now. We are sailing on FR on 2-22-2015 and may have DD but I will spend a lot of time prior to see is we can get the same waitstaff every night even if it means we are in the same restaurant each night. I have a table full of special diets and DH is very picky eater. Read my post again with this clarification.

All Ive read here and on Facebook is "we are done with Royal Caribbean if this goes fleetwide :mad:"

Maybe if all the people that say they are leaving will actually leave, prices will come down for those of us who choose to stay. :):D

Giving up Diamond and Diamond + status over a dining concept? REALLY?

Hate to be so blunt but the overdramatizing over something that hasnt even been rolled out blows me away. Reminds me of before Oasis and Allure were built.

"RCI will fail!" "We will NEVER sail those ships" "They will NEVER fill those ships" "This will bankrupt RCI"!

Yeah, right. I will don the flame suit now

I was thinking the same thing. If all the people who say they will never sail on an RCI ship again because of the Dynamic Dining actually leave, maybe the prices will come down.

People resist change and it is amusing to read that people "hate" a dining option that isn't even happening yet. how can you "hate" what you have not tried.

I seem to remember threads on here years ago about people "hating" the idea of the Oasis class ships and how it would ruin RCI.

Just like everything else, some people will like the Dynamic Dining and some will not, but at least give it a try before condemning it.

I think the point that most people are missing is that there is ZERO chance that RCCL did this without extensive market research. I can not fathom a conversation going like this:

Bean Counter: Well, after extensive market studies, we've determined that the Dynamic Dining concept will alienate 60% of our repeat cruisers and about 55% of our "new to cruising" customers.

Adam: I don't care! People keep reproducing, we'll capture the next generation of cruisers....let 'em walk....I'm going Dynamic Dining, baby!!

Bean Counter: Okey doke then.

Just like automatic tipping, no pillow chocolates, and smoke-free balconies didn't drive me away from RCCL, I don't see DD doing it to me either, whether I end up loving it or hating it. I enjoy the overall product too much, and after experiencing the changes, they ended up being a non-issue for me.

Now the completely inept IT department....that may actually send me packing.

And if rumors are true, adding Freedom passengers needing to book dining during a short window before 2-2015 will make RCI's IT even worse. I figure I will have to spend a lot of time on the phone prior to our 2-22-2015 to book dining for our group of 4 -- 3 who have a special need or rather set tastes.

Extensive market research would also include allowing DD to be instituted on purpose built ships to iron out the glitches before it is introduced on ships that were not built for it. The main reason that FR may go DD is that they had to push up the drydock because of propulsion problems so they figured they should renovate it for DD.

Edited by SherriZ366

And if rumors are true, adding Freedom passengers needing to book dining during a short window before 2-2015 will make RCI's IT even worse. I figure I will have to spend a lot of time on the phone prior to our 2-22-2015 to book dining for our group of 4 -- 3 who have a special need or rather set tastes.

Extensive market research would also include allowing DD to be instituted on purpose built ships to iron out the glitches before it is introduced on ships that were not built for it. The main reason that FR may go DD is that they had to push up the drydock because of propulsion problems so they figured they should renovate it for DD.

RCI did a good job of introducing My Time dining. It did not immediately go fleet-wide and they learned from other cruise line's mistakes. I don't read about long waits for My Time or unavailability of free restaurants (NCL) and I don't hear about folks who have booked Traditional dining being kicked out because of large groups (Princess). Because you can book ahead and get the same time every night, you can usually get the same waitstaff -- especially for a party of 4 or less.

Do you remember the ruckus when MTD was rolled out??!! The wailing and gnashing of teeth could be heard far and wide. The people who booked too late to get into traditional and were going to be forced to endure the indignity of it??? "Having" to make reservations for dinner??

Turned out to be much ado, and a lot of the vocal opponents ended up liking it.

I'm not saying that DD is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Life is constantly fluid, things change including the cruising industry. However, every time there is a change, the amount of angst that goes on on these boards is astonishing.

I was thinking the same thing. If all the people who say they will never sail on an RCI ship again because of the Dynamic Dining actually leave, maybe the prices will come down.

People resist change and it is amusing to read that people "hate" a dining option that isn't even happening yet. how can you "hate" what you have not tried.

I seem to remember threads on here years ago about people "hating" the idea of the Oasis class ships and how it would ruin RCI.

Just like everything else, some people will like the Dynamic Dining and some will not, but at least give it a try before condemning it.

I haven't tried eating fresh Buffalo dung...but it's a pretty safe statement to say I would hate it. :p

Not sure how because I prefer traditional dining means that I HATE DD. Or I prefer Radiance class ships means that I HATE Oasis class ships. Stop twisting the debate. There is nothing inherently wrong with traditional dining. Is it too much to ask for one small area on one of three decks????

One poster proudly said they have never set foot in the MDR, yet they are all for DD. If it does not impact you why can you say I'll love it??

MTD has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you have booked a cruise in the last two years, the only thing available even a year out is MTD. They force you to jump through hoops to get traditional dining. Many new cruisers may not know what else is available and just 'go along' or just give up.

Traditional dining has been around for 100 years, that's why it's called traditional. DD may change the cruise industry, but it won't happen in the next 5 minutes. I'll give unscripted a try in December, if it doesn't go well then I'll avoid it.

Edited by steveru621

Do you welcome the change, or is it a little upsetting to you, too?

I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. My thought when I first heard of it was RC would give it a long shake out on the Quantum and Anthem before considering fleet wide. So I'm a little suprised about hearing fleetwide talk.

Between our first cruise and now, my wife and I both had weight loss surgery and lost more than 200lbs combined. Food is less important to us that before, but we did like the traditional dining experience.

I've been struggling to plan my 2016 cruise. I'll have time to watch this and see.

Not sure how because I prefer traditional dining means that I HATE DD. Or I prefer Radiance class ships means that I HATE Oasis class ships. Stop twisting the debate. There is nothing inherently wrong with traditional dining. Is it too much to ask for one small area on one of three decks????

One poster proudly said they have never set foot in the MDR, yet they are all for DD. If it does not impact you why can you say I'll love it??

MTD has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you have booked a cruise in the last two years, the only thing available even a year out is MTD. They force you to jump through hoops to get traditional dining. Many new cruisers may not know what else is available and just 'go along' or just give up.

Traditional dining has been around for 100 years, that's why it's called traditional. DD may change the cruise industry, but it won't happen in the next 5 minutes. I'll give unscripted a try in December, if it doesn't go well then I'll avoid it.

Good Post.

Wonder if some of the increase in the percentage of My Time diners reflects many new cruisers that wanted Traditional dining not knowing how to "work RCI's system."

That being said, last week I did check all the FR sailings that I have booked (all Late Traditional) and my preference would have been available in all 4 FR cruises and early traditional was available in every FR cruise by 2-22-2015.

Edited by SherriZ366

And if rumors are true, .

Id have to guess that confirmation from the Captain and Hotel Director that Freedom is definitely going to Dynamic Dining after the January drydock is a little more than rumor.

You are still well before your final payment date. You can always change cruises ya know?

Much to your pleasure though, I have read on the Crown and Anchor Facebook page that only one level of the MDR is going to be converted and that those that already have assigned, traditional dining times will not have to worry about anything. That is rumor though :) What the Captain and Hotel Director said is likely fact.

Id have to guess that confirmation from the Captain and Hotel Director that Freedom is definitely going to Dynamic Dining after the January drydock is a little more than rumor.

You are still well before your final payment date. You can always change cruises ya know?

Much to your pleasure though, I have read on the Crown and Anchor Facebook page that only one level of the MDR is going to be converted and that those that already have assigned, traditional dining times will not have to worry about anything. That is rumor though :) What the Captain and Hotel Director said is likely fact.

I hope that the rumor that only one level of the MDR will be DD as you saw on Facebook is true.

And I don't want to change 2-22-2015 because we like FR; Port C is only 4 1/2 hours away and we got $400 onboard credit for re-booking when RCI cancelled our Jan. 25, 2015 FR sailing due to the dry-dock. We also got $400 onboard credit for booking our May 17, 2015 cruise due to FR being chartered on our original 5-3-2015 date.

Our party of 4 also has 3 people who either have special diets or order off the Always Available Menu so they would not be interested in the new menu. I always find something I like.

So if the Feb. 22, 2015 FR cruise has no Traditional dining, I will do the work to make sure that the rest of the party is happy. With the IT problems that folks have been having in booking DD on QU or AN, it should be an "interesting" experience. One of my beefs is that RCI should have ironed out DD's kinks before they expanded it beyond the purpose built ships and one of those kinks is booking DD on the computer.

Converting only one deck to DD would comport to the gradual way that RCI rolled out My Time a few years ago. I think that was smooth and from what I read about other cruise lines, RCI's system that allows you to book specific dining times was better than NCL and Princess.

That being said, I am doing some research on Vision and Brilliance out of Tampa and possibly cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale (we may get direct air from Savannah) but we really love FR.

Edited by SherriZ366

That's interesting. I think it was on this thread that someone mentioned that they were told by someone on the ship that the ship was getting DD and named two restaurants, but couldn't remember the third, maybe it is going to be a Traditional Dining Room?

DH and I don't like the concept of Dynamic Dining. We always do traditional dining, first seating. We like having the same table mates, same table, and same waiter. We are happy with the Main Dining Room experience, so haven't tried specialty dining. I would avoid a cruise ship that offered only Dynamic Dining.

We are both upset of this Dynamic Dining. One of our favorite things about cruising is sitting at a big table and meeting new friends. We have made lasting friendships.

We also love the attentive service from waiters who come to know your likes and dislikes.

I don't like the idea of finding a different restaurant now for each meal of the day. The Windjammer is fine once in a while if you beat the rush, but, now having to find an alternate restaurant for breakfast and hoping you can get a seat at these smaller venues is ridiculous.

I wish they would keep Traditional Dining as an option.

Jonathan

That's interesting. I think it was on this thread that someone mentioned that they were told by someone on the ship that the ship was getting DD and named two restaurants, but couldn't remember the third, maybe it is going to be a Traditional Dining Room?
I may have posted that. I was quoting a cruise from the week before last who sailed on FR. He said that the officers named 2 restaurants -- Silk and Grande but could not or did not name the third. It would be great if restaurant 3 was Traditional.

When we were on the FOS two weeks ago, the Hotel Director said the current thought was one deck would be Silk, another Grand, and he did not remember the third. He definitely mentioned that more than one deck would be rethemed and renamed.

The Captain also said some executives from Miami were due on board on 8/17. It would be interesting to hear if the Captains info is different after the visit from Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The choices sound interesting enough, it is the scheduling that iI'm not looking forward to. I'm on vacation, I really don't want to have to pre-plan every dinner or miss getting the restaurant I choose.... maybe the night we book the Grande we will be too tired to dress up, after being out in the sun all day- who knows? Nothing can be done on a casual basis it seems? This is all being rolled out as improving choices, but I think it's more for their convenience than mine....:rolleyes:

When we were on the FOS two weeks ago, the Hotel Director said the current thought was one deck would be Silk, another Grand, and he did not remember the third. He definitely mentioned that more than one deck would be rethemed and renamed.

The Captain also said some executives from Miami were due on board on 8/17. It would be interesting to hear if the Captains info is different after the visit from Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was partially quoting you (as well as a few folks who have posted in other threads).

I'm curious. How do the loyal RC cruisers, Diamond and above, feel about the possible change over to fleet-wide Dynamic Dining?

Do you welcome the change, or is it a little upsetting to you, too?

I am going to wait and see how it goes on Quantum before I pass judgment. I like the traditional MDR, but options are always nice.