A New Radiance Class Please

Alan13

Sor far, Radiance class is my least favorite!

I am with you if all RCI had was Radiance Class ships we would never sail her. But then if they went to all Mega ships same way , we like the middle ground Voyager and Freedom class .

My wife and I like the smaller ships too. I don't like the idea of a ship being so crowded that I have to make reservations for everything. a lot of people don't realize that these larger ships do have more to offer but most of the size is actually for all the rooms added and that there is less room per person on the ship then on ships like vision or radiance class. We like being on the ships that don't feel overcrowded

You are WRONG...the Oasis ships feel the LEAST crowded IMO, because of the amazing 7 neighborhoods layout..Radiance class felt much more crowded to me, although they are nice, not much to do at night..if you are easily entertained and don't like options, Radiance is fine..if you have a family with kids or teens,or you DO like options for entertainment, dining, pool areas, etc., the bigger ships are clearly much better..I was also on the Enchantment a few years back...nice 5 night cruise, but soooo boring at night..another thing for you anti-mega ships people: DON'T knock it till you try it- BIG does NOT mean crowded...we felt much more crowded on the Majesty Of The Seas & Enchantment or the Radiance...I thought the Oasis was going to be "too big"...WRONG!! Ingenious layout and expansive public areas made it feel open & airy..yes, she's BIG, but crowded? NO!!

Big Al

I agree with big al, we just did Freedom of Seas, I find it was more crowded than Allure or Oasis ( specially Royal Promenade). When they have the sale booths set up in the middle of Royal Promenade. Lots of entertainment on Oasis class .

For me it is not about the crowds, it is the beauty of the ship. I like seeing the ocean through lots of glass. I remember my mom used to say that Song of America was her favorite ship. Small, but beautiful!

I agree that larger ships seem to be the wave of the future! Maybe the days of small ships are over!

Alan

You are WRONG...the Oasis ships feel the LEAST crowded IMO, because of the amazing 7 neighborhoods layout..Radiance class felt much more crowded to me, although they are nice, not much to do at night..if you are easily entertained and don't like options, Radiance is fine..if you have a family with kids or teens,or you DO like options for entertainment, dining, pool areas, etc., the bigger ships are clearly much better..I was also on the Enchantment a few years back...nice 5 night cruise, but soooo boring at night..another thing for you anti-mega ships people: DON'T knock it till you try it- BIG does NOT mean crowded...we felt much more crowded on the Majesty Of The Seas & Enchantment or the Radiance...I thought the Oasis was going to be "too big"...WRONG!! Ingenious layout and expansive public areas made it feel open & airy..yes, she's BIG, but crowded? NO!!

Big Al

I have no interest in Oasis/Allure and it isn't because of "crowds". We sail as much or more for the ports as the ship, and the Oasis class port selections are limited with lots of sea days. And when we are at sea we're content with what radiance/explorer/freedom class ships offer, don't need more bells and whistles to keep us occupied. To each his own, as others have said it's good they have lots of ships to choose from:)

I have to agree. We have sailed an all the classes except Oasis, and the Radiance is our favourite.

Having said that, I think it is a lot to do with the business model being employed by each ship. The larger ships (Freedom and above) seem to be 'get people on cheap and up-sell whenever possible'. They also seem to be a lot more 'in you face' with the entertainment and less about the ports

The smaller ships are more expensive to book, but the standard of service is much higher, and they seem to be geared to relaxing and exploring the places you are going to.

Over the last few years, I feel I have seen a big change in the Voyager class towards the latter of the above models. I suspect the future plan is keep making bigger, and I think any future Radiance will be more of a cut down Voyager. Indeed, if they can combine the glass of Radiance with the promenade of Voyager they could be on to a winner!

I have no interest in Oasis/Allure and it isn't because of "crowds". We sail as much or more for the ports as the ship, and the Oasis class port selections are limited with lots of sea days. And when we are at sea we're content with what radiance/explorer/freedom class ships offer, don't need more bells and whistles to keep us occupied. To each his own, as others have said it's good they have lots of ships to choose from:)

Agree wholeheartedly.

The larger ships (Freedom and above) seem to be 'get people on cheap and up-sell whenever possible'. They also seem to be a lot more 'in you face' with the entertainment and less about the ports

The smaller ships are more expensive to book, but the standard of service is much higher, and they seem to be geared to relaxing and exploring the places you are going to.

Not my experience at all? :confused: My Radiance cruise was less than half what my last Freedom cruise was. It was only 5 nights but still. The smaller ships are less expensive to book IMO. Mostly because they are older ships sailing shorter itineraries.

I'm with you, Alan13. And when I saw the title 'World's First Smartship!', I immediately knew what was coming:

There is a ship that provides blazing fast connectivity at sea to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vine. A ship that lets its guests download streaming music and videos from the cloud, Netflix, Hulu and more at speeds equal to those on land. A ship that lets you play Xbox Live with other gamers anywhere around the world. A ship where technology is there at every turn to make the guest experience richer than ever before. This isn’t a ship- it's a Smartship. This is Quantum of the Seas SM. This changes everything.

They're exactly right, 'this isn't a ship'. :rolleyes: I love the Radiance class ships, and will treasure our cruise next year on the beautiful Jewel...

Love your "smart ship" promo and agree, that's not a ship but rather all the things I want to get away from on a cruise. We've not done the Radiance class yet (will be on Radiance next year) but have been on comparably sized ships with HAL and Carnival and feel those are just the right size and ambiance for us.

Love your "smart ship" promo and agree, that's not a ship but rather all the things I want to get away from on a cruise. We've not done the Radiance class yet (will be on Radiance next year) but have been on comparably sized ships with HAL and Carnival and feel those are just the right size and ambiance for us.

When we board the phones are turned off and put in the safe for the week. We could care less about connectivity or tech. Glad they're accommodating those who want that, it won't draw us to a ship though:rolleyes:

I think the big ships are great for families, especially multi-generation family vacations. But I prefer the Radiance class and have been on all 4 of them numerous times. We will be on the Jewel, my favorite, again next fall. I had to sail on her at least one more time before she is updated (read: ruined, in my eyes).

As a few people have said, they can do more interesting itineraries because of their size. I do not need to be entertained 24/7. Give me a book and a balcony (or Viking Crown Lounge in the afternoon) and I'm happy.

We would love more Radiance class ships! The Radiance class ships are our favorite with Vision class coming in second. We do not rock climb or surf and don't need all the bells and whistles. We enjoy the ports and scenery as well as the relaxing sea days. We enjoy the smaller ships as they seem more intimate and the staff friendlier. We don't go on a cruise ship to shop, but to spend time alone together or with our family.

We have no interest in being connected 24/7 to the internet, etc. We do want some minutes to check e-mail in case there is a problem with my husband's eldery mother or one of our adult sons. We don't want to have to spend a fortune on having internet 24/7. We just cruised on Navigator and you cannot pay by the minute for the internet or get a certain number of minutes for a set price. Luckily, we are Diamond and got 60 minutes of free internet time that could be used whenever. Their cheapest deal was 30 minutes of internet that had to be used at the time of purchase for those who don't get free minutes.

Mary Anne

I choose our cruises, since DH prefers it that way, so in saying, I first go with the destination then the ship. The size isn't much of a factor, but appearance is. I am not against the Oasis & Allure because of the number of passengers they carry, but personally the split design is not appealing. The main reason I have not chosen a cruise with either ship is cost. When & I can cruise for 14 days cheaper then 7 to 10 days, the longer cruises will win out. Flying from Calif and having to pay over $700 for a week cruise, will not happen. The bottom line, there are several sizes of ships to suit each of our likes which is the way it should be and the important thing is we all end up with an enjoyable cruise.

Can you read my thoughts? :D

I think the same about Quantum Class...

At first, it is impressive what is possible with all of this technology, that the ship is more or less a "floating smartphone".

But do I need it when I am on vacation? Also I do not want to be supervised where I am at which time...

I also really love ships such as Celebrity Millennium or also Freedom Class is ok for me.

To be honest, I am happy to be booked on such ships - alh´though they are really old-fashioned compared to Quantum... :D

Agreed...If it's not the crowded issue, fine...I love the Freedom class as well..it's the people who simply say, "I don't like crowds" as if mega ships mean mega crowds- that's not true..some people don't like all the perqs on Oasis ships, that's OK...I will say that Central Park BLOWS anything RCI has anywhere else on any ship...so serene at night with stars above & the classical trio playing soft music..the Royal Promenade is definitely nicer & less crowded because it's double the width..the Adult Solarium is also MUCH better on Oasis ships than all others..I don 't like that there is NO walking promenade to stroll outside on the decks like on all other ships...Boleros is fantastic for latin dancing and separate & 4 times the size as other ships ( I have a latin wife, so BIG plus for her..)..another thing- since there are 10 pools & 16 hot tubs on Oasis class vs. 3 pools & 8 hot tubs on Freedom/ Voyager class, there is much more space & room on the pool deck..I think all these things I mentioned are PLUSES, not minuses- no one likes to walk around looking for lounge chairs at the pool, or finding those small Adult Solariums on other ships PACKED..just MHO..but as you say, there are plenty of ships RCI has to please all...

Big Al

Agreed, agreed, agreed!!!! :)

First of all anyone can cruise on the ship that appeals to them. I am not saying that every ship should be Radiance Class. It is nice to have a variety of ships!

I just watched the Technology Live program from Germany on Quantum of the Seas. Yes, it is the latest in high tech with a robot bar, robot screens, bumper cars, north star, ripcord, smart IQ, virtual balcony in all inside staterooms, etc.

Richard Fain even said Quantum would appeal to millenials because they can skype, watch netflix on their smartphones and so on.

For me, that does not work! I can find all the latest technology at home. I can go to an amusement park for rides. I go on a cruise to get away from stimulation. I like to walk, relax, swim, read a book, play trivia, eat, go to shows, admire the artwork, meet fellow passenger, look at the ocean, breathe the clean air and of course many other things.

I love the Radiance Class because the ships are beautiful with lots of glass. It's just the right size and easy to get around. I'm okay with the Freedom Class also.

But I hope that the wave of the future is not more rides and gadgets. I hope that Royal will think of their passengers that just want the simplicity of cruising!

You can always have the simplicity of cruising by not doing all of the things that are available on a cruise ship -- simple as that. Relax and lounge in the Solarium if that is what you enjoy. Sit on a recliner and read, if that is what you enjoy -- or do it on your balcony.

I can't imagine Royal adding another ship to the Radiance Class, simply because of the small passenger size they accommodate. With a passenger range of between 2100 -2531, none of those ships could realistically replace Majesty, when she is taken out of service. Majesty has a passenger capacity between 2390 - 2744. They would not want to put a ship with a smaller passenger capacity on the Majesty runs, which are probably very lucrative to the company.

But don't worry, the Radiance Class should be around for quite a few more years to enjoy....and many people do enjoy them....I went on Jewel last summer and had a great time.

70,000 ton to 110,000 ton, that's our range. (Some in the 110,000 to 130,000 have been okay too.)

Voyager class and up feel like being at the mall during Christmas.

The smaller ships have an older more matured crowd and are a bit more polite. They provide a more relaxed cruise in our opinion.

We are in our 50's.

My parents who are in their 70's, LOVE the huge ships!

Edited by Richjoxyz

First of all anyone can cruise on the ship that appeals to them. I am not saying that every ship should be Radiance Class. It is nice to have a variety of ships!

I just watched the Technology Live program from Germany on Quantum of the Seas. Yes, it is the latest in high tech with a robot bar, robot screens, bumper cars, north star, ripcord, smart IQ, virtual balcony in all inside staterooms, etc.

Richard Fain even said Quantum would appeal to millenials because they can skype, watch netflix on their smartphones and so on.

For me, that does not work! I can find all the latest technology at home. I can go to an amusement park for rides. I go on a cruise to get away from stimulation. I like to walk, relax, swim, read a book, play trivia, eat, go to shows, admire the artwork, meet fellow passenger, look at the ocean, breathe the clean air and of course many other things.

I love the Radiance Class because the ships are beautiful with lots of glass. It's just the right size and easy to get around. I'm okay with the Freedom Class also.

But I hope that the wave of the future is not more rides and gadgets. I hope that Royal will think of their passengers that just want the simplicity of cruising!

I would love to see another Radiance Class ship built (or two, or five!), but I don't see it happening. They just aren't gimmicky enough to attract the uninitiated newbies that the cruise companies seem so dead set on catering to. It's sad to watch really. The whole industry seems to be attempting to wage a misguided competition with the theme parks instead of just offering a really great cruise experience.

Come to Royal, we've got zip lines!

Come to Carnival, we've got a ropes course!

Come to Royal, we've got bumper cars!

Come to Carnival, we've got water slides!

No! Come to NCL, we've got better water slides!

Come to Royal, we've got skydiving!

Come to Cunard, we've got tea!

Edited by DarthGrady

Quantum is on next week's sale list for its 11/2 transatlantic, under $1000pp

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

:D

pspercy, thank you so much for posting this! It allowed me to alert my best friend to the C & A sale today (she is booked on Quantum's 11/2 sailing). And she just upgraded from an inside gty to a balcony gty (Cat X) and is thrilled beyond words! We really appreciate the heads up! ;)

For me it is not about the crowds, it is the beauty of the ship. I like seeing the ocean through lots of glass. I remember my mom used to say that Song of America was her favorite ship. Small, but beautiful!

I agree that larger ships seem to be the wave of the future! Maybe the days of small ships are over!

Alan

Hope not. :(:(

Agree 100%. Love Radiance class.

I work all day every day with the internet, skype, cell phones and pagers. I need that stuff on a cruise like I need another butt. Last year DD (30) came with us on her first cruise and she wondered if she would get reception for her phone. I said she could but if you want all that stuff you could always stay home. Instead, turn your cell off and lock it away for the cruise. She did and had a ball. This year she is coming again and told us the other day she was quite happy to tell work that the week she is on vacation she will be entirely unreachable.

Plus, the internet is so damn slow on the ships using skype or Netflix is only forking money over to the cruise line for a very inferior product. Not a chance in hell that something like Netflix actually works well enough to use.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Hope not. :(:(

I don't feel that the life of smaller ships is over....there will always be itineraries that need the smaller ships for entry into the ports there.

I wish all cruise lines would be more creative in the development of itineraries. As much as I love the Caribbean (and I do), there must be other ports that can be considered to increase the value to go on a ship for a second or third time, beyond seeing the same places (even though there are multiple excursions available in each port of call).