Allure Air Condition

Ok all you wonderful 'Alluring' travelers, can you tell me about how the air conditioning works in the staterooms? Especially you more hot natured people! I'm at my MIL for the weekend so hot. Do not want to be like this for a week on my 'dream vacation'. And what year were you on the ship?

Thank you. Forgive me, I'm still learning how to use CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok all you wonderful 'Alluring' travelers, can you tell me about how the air conditioning works in the staterooms? Especially you more hot natured people! I'm at my MIL for the weekend so hot. Do not want to be like this for a week on my 'dream vacation'. And what year were you on the ship?

Have found a/c on ships to be very much hit and miss - sometimes hot/sometimes cold. Make sure you do not turn off your master switch - ask steward to explain. It is with the lights outside of the bathroom - if you turn that off when you leave you also turn off a/c.

Went on allure in June of 2012 ocean view, eastern caribbean and was fine, cool room. Went again in July 2014 western caribbean in a boardwalk balcony and was very hot all night. Lost weight in sweat and that was with the air conditioning at its lowest.

We were in a Deck 6 balcony in 2012. No problem if you keep the drapes closed during the day and don't keep the balcony door open.

I learned to always take my travel clock that has a temperature display so that when the DW is "hot" I can show her it is her and not the AC which is reading 68. Solves all the discussions about the room temperature especially if you believe you are having problems. You can show the reading to maintenance when they come to the cabin.

Edited by cruzincurt

We were on the Allure July 2012 and were dying from the air conditioning not being cold enough in the cabins and all over the ship. On our June 2014 sailing we were comfortable the entire time. The other issue that has yet to be corrected is the lack of cold running water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

On Allure now, our cabin was very warm when we boarded but after turning down the air our cabin is nice and cool. For reference, we keep our home temp at 68 degrees during the day and 65 degrees at bedtime.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by MandyMooToo

Check out this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028803

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

Very happy in our CL suite on the Allure, nice and ice cold........

Two thermostats, one up in the loft and one down..............

Both set all the way on blue........(cold)

No complaints, I am always hot....

DD and DH slept with blankets on.

Sea Ya

Hotest ship I have ever been on. Our cabin was comfortable during the day even with the sun shining in the cabin. When it came to sleeping it became stuffy and hard to sleep. I took a very small fan with me, only to have in confiscated at the port, so not a happy camper. Was told that the fan was a fire hazard;)

I think this is the first time I can actually say I was uncomfortable at night sleeping on any of the fleets ships. Yes, my balcony door was shut, numerous calls to engineering told me that it was.

We were in a boardwalk cabin.

If the cabin is too warm, call Maintenance. They will come and they can adjust it. One of the guys told me that they are always being called to adjust the AC. Some want it warmer and they dial back the airflow.

I agree with the above post: Allure is the hottest ship we've ever been on. I could not get comfortable.

We had cabin 10584. It was very hot. Maintenance came several times to fix the AC, but we could never get the room cool enough, not even with the curtains drawn all day. (They told us that part of the problem was that our neighbor kept his balcony door wide open all day, and it sucked the cooler air out from the hallways and adjacent rooms and put a huge strain on the AC for our "block" of cabins)

We were on the Allure July 2012 and were dying from the air conditioning not being cold enough in the cabins and all over the ship. On our June 2014 sailing we were comfortable the entire time. The other issue that has yet to be corrected is the lack of cold running water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Can't speak specifically for Allure, or your specific cabin, but in general, no cruise ship will have "cold" running water. Unlike at home, where the water sits still in the underground pipes (where the temperature is always around 50*) waiting for you to turn on a tap, the water onboard is constantly being recirculated from the ship's tanks to all the cabins/public spaces and back to the tanks. The tanks are in the engine room, so they are generally above ambient air temperature, and lots of the piping is through non-airconditioned spaces, so there is little or no cooling. At best, the "cold" water in your cabin will be luke-warm, tepid, or warm depending on your reference frame. That's just the nature of the beast.

(They told us that part of the problem was that our neighbor kept his balcony door wide open all day, and it sucked the cooler air out from the hallways and adjacent rooms and put a huge strain on the AC for our "block" of cabins)

That sounds like a very lame excuse for them to use:rolleyes:

Our "cold" water in our part of Florida is not cold either. Water distribution pipes run a couple of feet below the ground are not going to stay cold. So I understand that the ship will not have cold water unless they run it through a heat exchanger to cool it. It either comes from RO, storage tanks or flash evaporators that do not make water cold.

Get a digital thermometer to take with you so you know what the exact temperature is in the cabin. You can't argue about temperature unless you know what it is. One persons cold is anothers warm.

CHENGKP75, I've not noticed if there is a return air grille in our cabins. I assume air is removed from the cabin through the toilet room exhaust and possibly under the cabin door into the corridor? On some recent cruises, I've heard the air flow sound change if the balcony door is open. Upon closing the door, and after a short delay, I hear the air picking up again as the VAV box opens.

On the NCL EPIC, and Celebrity Silhouette, I know the air shut down to minimum when we left the cabin because the cabin would warm up in our absence. Remember I have a digital thermometer on the desk. I could hear the VAV box open and air flow increase after being in the room for a minute or so.

In the US it is now against Code to return air through a corridor, and I've not see big return air grilles in corridors, so I suspect there might be a return air duct system? Hard to believe they would use single pass air since that is an energy hog.

Edited by cruzincurt