Shorts are now fine for elegant

Crusin Hogs

Guys, you're dropping over a grand on a cruise, another $500 on booze, you should be able to grab a $45 sport coat at the Wal-Mart. A t-shirt boasting "Good story Babe, now go make me a sammich" doesn't quite cut it.

I disagree, each cruise I drop $45 at Wal-Mart for a brand new pair of bib overalls and a brand new t-shirt boasting " Shootin deers and drinkin beers is how I roll ".

I want to make sure I look good for formal night.

From my review of a May cruise on the Sunshine.

Let's talk dining. Now the wife and I are middle-class, regular people, so please don't flame at the following: Elegant nights still exist, and while we don't go the top hat and tails route, I was one of maybe half the men in the MDR on late seating that bothered to don a suit. Heck, for me, the first night it was a sport coat and tie. Many men had at best a collared shirt, and most of those looked very uncomfortable in it since wearing it at their last funeral, wedding or arraignment. At least it gave us two nights free of Bass Pro Shop shirts and My-latest-t-shirt-I-bought at the Port Of The Day. Guys, you're dropping over a grand on a cruise, another $500 on booze, you should be able to grab a $45 sport coat at the Wal-Mart. A t-shirt boasting "Good story Babe, now go make me a sammich" doesn't quite cut it.

I guess I drink more than I thought. (hiccup)

Bill

If you can't figure it out, I can't explain it either. :cool:

I do not want to figure it out. I am a paying customer. It is my vacation. If you don't like someone wearing underwear in dinning room, don't look at them.

Oh, we can bring tailored underwear for elegant nights.

Even if shorts were allowed most nights it would be fun if there was one night when people dressed up.

This... This is the crux of the matter.

There is a group of people for whom elegant/formal night is in some way fun or gratifying. Clearly for folks who fall in the "it would be fun" camp there's a reason why they would want to see this tradition continue, and that's a valid position from this perspective.

For someone who doesn't consider dressing up to be inately fun, a compulsion to do so in order that others may enjoy the experience may well translate into: "I want to objectify you for my personal visual gratification. Now, dance monkey!" :D

See where the conflict comes in?

I agree with a previous poster that it never seemed to be an issue when I've been on NCL, and I'd be more than happy to see Carnival try a two dining room solution where folks had to opt into one or the other. They must feel that the split would be too lopsided to make this work, or is there some other logistical hurdle involved?

I do not want to figure it out. I am a paying customer. It is my vacation. If you don't like someone wearing underwear in dinning room, don't look at them.

Oh, we can bring tailored underwear for elegant nights.

Well, it IS called underwear, so by the very title it goes UNDER what you wear. But what the heck, I'm pretty open minded; I'd give it a whirl once at least. 90% may scare me, but the other 10% might make the meal exciting and exotic! :D

They should call it like it is.... "Lobster Night" and let everyone dress the same as they do every other night. It is anachronistic, this faux Titanic-style dress-up party. Styles change.

They need to get rid of the dress code period. The time has come. The last 4 cruises you could see it changing, I can live with dress shorts. Now let me in the steakhouse with dress shorts, I had that in our tea and talk with the CD and Capt in May and July. Maybe it worked.

Well, if it is Elegant Night...what is Elegant about shorts. Just call it cruise casual and stop having a so called Elegant Night.
I am starting to believe the only reason that they actually have any special dress nights

are to sell "formal pictures". When the standard becomes "tailored shorts", a dress code is a joke.

I don't care whether there is a dress code or not, it's the pretense of a phony one that's annoying.

Edited by richstowe

I am starting to believe the only reason that they actually have any special dress nights

are to sell "formal pictures".

Of course that's the reason. That's not news. It's not like the MDR is a family or group of friends all celebrating a wedding, a tribute to life event, etc.

I love these main MDR post, always get a laugh. But I think I have come up with the perfect solution, All nude cruises:eek:, no packing required, no effort on anyone's part and everyone will be dressed the same on formal and non formal nights, just grab your white towel ( for sanitary reasons) and head down to the MDR and enjoy. LOL:) (this is just a little comedy relief and not meant to be taken seriously) Who knows some may loose their appetites and avoid the post cruise weight gain. Its a Win Win solution. ;)

There are nude charters....We were bumped from a booking for one.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Did the OP ever give a ship name and sail date? If so I must have missed it. The photo doesn't really give a good view of the Fun Times. I wonder if it is a post that was made to look like the Fun Times and posted just to stir things up. If this was now Carnival's new policy and was posted in the Fun Times for the last week or two, one would expect to see more people than the OP saying they saw it in the Fun Times.

Since when are waiters dancing on tables "classy" and they've been doing that for years. "Casual" does not equal "slob". Just as "Formal" does not equal "classy".....but dress as you describe and I will call you a "slob". As the MDR's on CCL and NCL have become more "casual", I have yet to see someone dressed as a "slob".

What about waving your used napkin in the air over your head. Food crumbs being whipped around the dining room. It is not classy and kind of disgusting.

My guess is that this is a mis-print, but I tell you DH would be really happy if this were true!

LOL so would my husband. We just came back from the splendor and he wore his khakis and dress shirt with shoes, not happy :mad: but he did it for me. :D Right after dinner he headed straight to the cabin to change.

I can confirm that men were allowed to wear shorts on cruise elegant night on Fantasy on both a five and seven day sailing last month. I was surprised for sure and was waiting for them to get turned back. I'm very glad they weren't. I'm all for getting rid of the dress code. Also- shorts, really? Nice shorts are a huge improvement over three-sizes-too-small dresses straining the bonds of fabric. Also- I'm all for expressing yourself but the amount of ink clashing with outfits- example: if you have a huge amount of ink on your back/shoulder and a dress is crossing over it and there's also a sunburn line---- shorts pale in comparison. I know tattoos mean a lot personally to the people who have them and that trumps my random thoughts while waiting for dinner, but they clash, they clash...

Did the OP ever give a ship name and sail date? If so I must have missed it. The photo doesn't really give a good view of the Fun Times. I wonder if it is a post that was made to look like the Fun Times and posted just to stir things up. If this was now Carnival's new policy and was posted in the Fun Times for the last week or two, one would expect to see more people than the OP saying they saw it in the Fun Times.

multiquote_on.gif

We always did the dress up with me in a formal gown and husband in a suit but lately we have changed. I normally wear a nice dress and my husband wears pants and a nice long sleeve shirt. The main thing I think about is what other people wear is none of my business and it does not effect me in anyway.

called carnival...they said this was not true..Well,drat,I liked the idea. My food will taste the same,dressed up or not!!! just my opinion.

I am sure many of us have seen shorts in the DR on Elegant Night as the dress code often is not enforced. It does not bother me if people wear nice shorts. I was questioning whether it was actually printed in the Fun Times and was in fact a new policy. It appears that the dress code printed on their website (no shorts on Elegant Night) is still the official policy. I would doubt any Cruise Director would independently change this policy and print that change it in the Fun Times.

I am sure many of us have seen shorts in the DR on Elegant Night as the dress code often is not enforced. It does not bother me if people wear nice shorts. I was questioning whether it was actually printed in the Fun Times and was in fact a new policy. It appears that the dress code printed on their website (no shorts on Elegant Night) is still the official policy. I would doubt any Cruise Director would independently change this policy and print that change it in the Fun Times.

aCTAULLY, i'VE never SEEN SHORTS IN THE mdr ON ELEGANT NIGHT.