Has anyone else never done this?

kenevenpar

In 25 years our first time was last Nov on the Reflection. Dont remember why, which is probably why we missed the MDR:D

Other than roaming around fetching instead of being catered to, the experience was not bad at all. The choices were varied and the quality was very good.

The sea was calm with just the slighest of an ocean breezzzeee, so we sat outside and had a very relaxing and enjoyable time wearing our flip flops and shorts!:rolleyes: With our favorite bar tender on duty just above in the Sunset Bar, he kept our glasses full of our favorite red without me needing to go fetch.

With 11 days coming up on the Equinox, we will have no qualms about doing this again if I mess up our timing again!:D

ps: they even were able to get us some Escargot that was on the MDR menu that evening!

Edited by wallie5446

In my last two cruises on HAL we ate in the buffet quite a few times. Why? Well we found the service in the MDR not that inspired and rather slow. Also, and I don't know if this is only a HAL thing, the dinner menu in the buffet mirrors the menu in MDR (except for a few special items). Because of the slower service in MDR, food doesn't tend to be all that hot. In the buffet, everything is hot, fresh and plated the same as the MDR. So the buffet food could actually be better than the MDR, just not as fancy.

In my last two cruises on HAL we ate in the buffet quite a few times. Why? Well we found the service in the MDR not that inspired and rather slow. Also, and I don't know if this is only a HAL thing, the dinner menu in the buffet mirrors the menu in MDR (except for a few special items). Because of the slower service in MDR, food doesn't tend to be all that hot. In the buffet, everything is hot, fresh and plated the same as the MDR. So the buffet food could actually be better than the MDR, just not as fancy.

Same here. Last time we sailed was on Princess. We had Anytime dining and it was horrible. We tried it twice and after that ended up eating dinner at the buffet, Intl Cafe, or room service. The buffet at night is nice. They dim the lights and it's nice and quiet. I actually like buffets. When there's no line, you can eat right away, and lots of choices. I can load up on veggies when at the MDR it's mostly meat with a side of veggies. And sometimes I just want to eat and get on with my night. The MDR takes forever.

But buffet for breakfast and lunch? Seems like the whole ship is there!

Weve wandered through at dinnertime just to see whats on offer. We are on Eclipse next week for our third 14 night cruise in 15 months and are planning to eat in the buffet on a couple of nights as we know there are a couple when the MDR menu isnt as appealling as on other nights. The choice has always looked good, especially the grilled to order meats and the salad bar (with a huge bowl of large shrimp). We plan on selecting a meal rather than taking lots of bits of everything. If the weather is good we would like to sit outside at the back and enjoy the view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In over 60 cruises I've eaten twice at the buffet for dinner. And it was because of excursions that went LONG and I napped and OOOPS I wasn't going to be able to get showered and dressed in time for dinner in the MDR.

I was not a fan but it served its purpose. In the same situation now I'd probably opt for Bistro or room service.

We've been on six cruises (seven come February) and DW and I have never had dinner in the buffet, and have no intentions of doing so. We like lunches there on sea days as you don't have to dress up and it's close to the pool areas. We've also eaten breakfasts there, though we prefer the MDR if time allows it.

Like others have said earlier, MDR dinners are a (arguably THE) cruise highlight for DW and me, especially the formal nights. We appreciate being served by extremely friendly, professional staff. We've also sat with strangers who became dear friends - visited one couple in FLL two years later and are meeting them again after our next cruise.

Obviously not everyone agrees. I remember on one of our first Carnival cruises waiting at the MDR on formal night and this well-dressed, elegant woman standing next to us said it was her first and only time in the MDR. She explained that she worked in an office all week and often had to dress for work-related functions. For her, dressing up for dinner was not a vacation and she only came to this formal night because they were serving lobster.

The best thing about good cruise lines is that those with both preferences can be accommodated.

Bon Appetit, wherever you satisfy your appetit.

I always have "first dinner" in the buffet. ;)

In the form of sushi - or sometimes from the nice selection of Indian or Asian dishes (the butter chicken is excellent).

Then "second dinner" is MDR.

Sometimes a "third dinner may be required later that night - but rarely.

ROLLING. My husband does the exact same thing :D. ...honey, is that you?

After years of saying no dinner in the buffet for me, we had dinner in the buffet in July.

Sitting at the Oceanview bar enjoying a glass of wine & a beautiful departure after a long port day. Well 1 glass of wine lead to 2, then 3- night was too beautiful and the wine too good to leave & get cleaned up for dinner. Got a nice steak & salad from the buffet, another glass of wine took those back to the OV bar and continued to enjoy a peaceful, warm night at sea.

On our last HAL cruise we decided to skip one formal night at have dinner in the Lido. It was VERY good and, as you mentioned above, had most everything on the MDR was serving. From the majority of replies here, it sounds like Celebrity's food at the buffet isn't good.

We've never done dinner in the buffet. However, we do stroll through sometimes after MDR, and some of the choices look pretty good! The staff does a nice job of adjusting the seating area lighting and dressing the tables. The people we see there are usually teens or people avoiding formal wear...

On our last HAL cruise we decided to skip one formal night at have dinner in the Lido. It was VERY good and, as you mentioned above, had most everything on the MDR was serving. From the majority of replies here, it sounds like Celebrity's food at the buffet isn't good.

That was not our experience, it was very good.

I really dislike having to walk around and carry my own food to a table. On many ships, the buffet area is crowded. Locating a table is often difficult. I prefer being seated at a table in the MDR, ordering, and have my food served. I also dislike having lots of people share the same serving utensils. It is a good way to spread germs. When I first started cruising, there were very few buffets. You were assigned to a specific waiter and table....3 meals a day. Your waiter knew what you liked. The midnight buffet was a ritual. Even at the midnight buffet, there were servers....and waiters to carry your food to a table. I try to avoid the buffets. Unfortunately, modern luxury does not include eating 3 meals a day in the MDR. I cannot understand why the MDR is closed for lunch on port days.

We were in the 'no buffet at dinner' camp until a couple of years ago. Since then we have gone to the buffet 2-5 nights (out of 14) when nothing on the MDR menu appealed or we just wanted casual dining at our own speed.

Sometimes--especially our Princess Hawaiian cruise-- the buffet offering were spectacular. Usually very nice for a more laid-back, easy meal. We've never found it at all crowded at night.

modern luxury does not include eating 3 meals a day in the MDR. I cannot understand why the MDR is closed for lunch on port days.

Because there are fewer passengers left onboard.

When weve wandered through the buffet at night its never looked busy with loads of tables and not the 'scrum' you might expect based on breakfast and dinner. We are looking forward to skipping the MDR a couple of times and funding a quiet spot in the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, we tend to always eat in the buffet.

We've tried MDR and speciality restaurants and my experience is different, I feel too full after the MDR and the food is too rich for us, at the buffet we enjoy the fish, salads and the fresh stir fries and enjoy trying lots of different things. If we want a 'full' meal experience we go to the speciality restaurant.

I'm glad there is an option for everyone, MDR, Buffet, Room Service, Speciality etc, we find the buffet is nice and quiet in the evening so it works for us that others prefer the MDR.

Hi, we tend to always eat in the buffet.

We've tried MDR and speciality restaurants and my experience is different, I feel too full after the MDR and the food is too rich for us, at the buffet we enjoy the fish, salads and the fresh stir fries and enjoy trying lots of different things. If we want a 'full' meal experience we go to the speciality restaurant.

I'm glad there is an option for everyone, MDR, Buffet, Room Service, Speciality etc, we find the buffet is nice and quiet in the evening so it works for us that others prefer the MDR.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.:D

25 + cruises and we have never had our dinner at the buffet on any cruise line.

A few reasons for this:

DW - "I'm on vacation and I want to be served"

Me - A) I have no self control and eat way too much

B) Not a big fan of buffets, land based or ship based (lunch we have tried).

So, any others that have not eaten dinner at the buffet?

Ken

We have been on 42 cruises and never did it either. We prefer to have a sit down dinner where we are served. It counts as "going out to dinner" for my DW> :)

YES, after spending 2 hr the first day of the cruise for a mediocre dinner. We tried the buffet for 2 consecutive evenings, found sushi and pasta, and would have continued to do so (even if we found the "ambiance" a bit dark/canteen like in the evening). On the 4th day I met by chance the MDR hostess who gave us the first table. She remembered me (I spoke Rumanian with her :)), and asked why we stopped arriving. Told her the food and the service were not up to par. She said "today is lobster day and I'll sit u at another table". The lobster was so-so, but the service was way better, and we didn't go back to the buffet for the rest of the cruise.

We could honestly never imagine having Dinner in the Buffet

Breakfast or Lunch are ok (even great)

But for us Dinner is for Dining... Especially so when we are on vacation

As someone else said, I wish to sit down at the end of a long cruise day relaxing with a glass of wine, and have someone else serve me

Evening Dining is definitely one of the highlights of our day & our cruise

So for us it is either one of the Ships Dining Rooms or a Specialty Restaurant... Nothing else will do

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

20+ cruises and never even thought about going to the buffet for dinner.....have opted for Bistro on 5 a few times and just opted "out" entirely once or twice, wound up with pizza late at night those times....but the buffet is just not something or somewhere I want to be at dinner on a cruise.....

If for some reason we are too tired or late for the MDR dinner, I'd opt for room service before the buffet. Although I have been known to sub dessert with a side of ice cream for the main meal and that is usually from the buffet :D But, like others here, the "dining" is a part of the allure of cruising.