Jet Lag

smeck

A question for all European cruisers. Leaving out of NYC 7:15 in the morning for Europe. How bad can we expect the jet lag? When we arrive in London at 7:15PM it will be 2:15Pm Eastern time.

A question for all European cruisers. Leaving out of NYC 7:15 in the morning for Europe. How bad can we expect the jet lag? When we arrive in London at 7:15PM it will be 2:15Pm Eastern time.

Jet lag is, like seasickness, a very personal thing. Half the plane might be woozy for a couple of days and the other half hits the ground running. Generally, it has been accepted that eastbound travel produces more jet lag than westbound. In my experience (have crossed the Atlantic 62 times to date--17 by sea) the daylight flights have produced less jet lag than the interrupted sleep night flights. As always, your mileage may vary.:D

Considering that will probably have to get up much earlier that morning than usual (I know we'd be at the airport around 4:30 am :eek:) for that flight. As long as you don't nap on the plane you'll probably be ready to fall asleep at your 'normal' time - even though you're in a different time zone. I wouldn't worry too much about jet lag.

We fly to Europe from Mountain Time, with 2hrs greater difference. Only once did one of us have any problems. YMMV. Good luck. :)

Jet lag severity is a function of departure time, arrival time and number of time zones crossed, and considerable research has shown that it is worse with evening departures and morning arrivals, with the arrival time being far more significant than the departure time. So travelling west to east with an evening departure and a morning arrival is about as bad as it gets as, unless one sleeps well on the aircraft, you arrive very tired and with a complete day to get through. Furthermore, going to bed in the afternoon only makes it worse as you wake up at midnight and have an even bigger problem as you are then 12 hours out of phase.

On the other hand, the really good news is that you have chosen the best flights to avoid the worst of jet lag. Many people who cross the 'pond' regularly, including those who are not badly affected, swear by the morning departures from JFK. When you get up in New York just think you have had a lie in. Even though you will not really fool your body and it will be evening when you arrive in Europe, you will still be wide awake when you arrive.

Just stay up until midnight and don't worry if you find it a little difficult to get to sleep, even though your body will only think it is 7 pm you did get up early to catch your flight and so you will be more tired than usual. You will be asleep before 2am which will be 9pm back home. Just get up a little late the next morning, say around 9am, and you will be absolutely fine.

I was very fortunate when I used to do it regularly as I sleep well on aircraft and could leave the office in Tampa at 4pm fly down to MIA for an 8pm departure, skip the meal and sleep on the aircraft, and then the next morning get in my car and drive to the office in Bristol where I would be at my desk before my colleagues back in Tampa had arrived for work. However, despite having this tolerance to jet lag, if I was flying out of JFK, I would always elect to take BA178. So IMHO you have chosen by far the best option, and I wouldn't worry too much. In truth it won't really be much of problem at all.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I wish someone would invent an injection to put you to sleep for the whole flight east bound.:D

My "injection" on an overnight eastbound flight was, and remains, a matter of declining the meal, and instead just having a bread roll and half a bottle of red wine, after which I go to sleep and invariably wake up, as we go into the glide and loose height when I either catch a late breakfast or, if I have missed breakfast, a coffee.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We just took our first daytime flight to London last month, and I doubt if we'll ever take another overnight flight. We left Dulles at 9:30a.m. and we arrived in London around 10 pm. We got to our hotel by 11, went to bed, and awoke the next morning without a bit of jet lag. As someone else mentioned, the older we've gotten the worse jet lag has affected us. By flying during the day we avoided it entirely. In fact, I didn't even think about it until someone on our cruise mentioned jet lag, and I realized it hadn't affected us.

Edited by FritzG

I find that I have less jet lag if I start thinking immediately in terms of the time where I am when I arrive rather than the time it is at home. I try to forget what time it would be and concentrate on the time it is. I stay up as late as I can that night and then get up at my regular time in the morning.

No more fighting those first/second night sleeping jitters trying to adapt to all the time changes (along with the other hotel noises, a/c, door slams, loud neighbors, and street noise).. A few nights of the proper dosage of Ambien and I am rested and ready for the vacation. Otherwise it takes me over 5 days to acclimate. Then again, I am from Los Angeles, so going over that "pond" is little more trying. Warning- try the dosage out at home well before you travel to see how you react and you have to see a doctor for this.

When I was younger I had minor jet lag, but now unfortunately I feel it a lot more. I most definitely prefer daytime flights to London. It is much easier for me to adjust. I wish there were more daytime flights from the east coast of the USA to Europe.

I had crazy jet lag from NY to Hawaii - probably because I was overtired, flight canceled then delayed & of course excitement at the same time. I'm not a great sleeper either. :eek: I always thought it was worse going from east to west...............

Even though we're flying out of JFK, I can't seem to find a non-stop flight to Venice in the morning - evening yes. Would you seasoned European travelers suggest a morning 1-stop better than an evening non-stop?

How about coming back to JFK from Barcelona - ? morning or evening. Thanks for your input.

I take the evening flights East to West (ORD to FRA to VCE). What I found what works for me is to get to the hotel and take a ONE hour nap-no more. Get up, take a shower and get out of the hotel. Do something, have dinner, then hit the sheets about 10:00pm local time. Next morning-no jet lag! I don't sleep on planes-to noisy-too hot etc.

How about coming back to JFK from Barcelona - ? morning or evening. Thanks for your input.

No real problem with a daytime flight, even if you don't go to bed earlier than usual when you get home, you will still wake up around 4-5 am and will probably need to visit the bathroom, so if you feel tired go to bed at 9pm - it isn't going to make any difference.

After you have returned to bed after your trip to the bathroom, you are unlikely to get back into a proper sleep, but don't worry about it. Just doze and relax until you normal getting up time and you will be fine.

Flying East to West on a daytime flight, it is all about expecting to wake up early the next morning, not being surprised or in the least bit disturbed when it happens and then relaxing while the rest of the world catches up with you.

Just a suggestion... if you "google" Jet lag you will find many tips for avoiding it. One that I have used twice, is getting up a couple hours early two or three days before the trip. It seems to help reset my internal clock .

Don't worry about it. Nothing too much you can predict. As stated everyone handles it differently and definitely the time of flight will make a difference. Night flights over, for me, are really tough. I end up watching a couple movies to "relax" and then by the time I am relaxed, and drowsy it's time for lights on. Either way, just try to get on local time as soon as you can.

We too are finding that after returning home, our body clocks take longer to adjust to local time. Instead of a day or two, it took us 4-5 days really to feel ourselves after being in EUrope for 16 days last month. Of course we were much more active walking 3-4 miles everyday which added to the exhaustion I'm sure.

Have a great trip!!!

... A few nights of the proper dosage of Ambien and I am rested and ready for the vacation. Warning- try the dosage out at home well before you travel to see how you react and you have to see a doctor for this.

This is assuming you aren't allergic to Ambien. Unfortunately I had major side effects with this. Now my HMO has this as one of the drugs I'm allergic to, so I won't be prescribed this accidentally. So if you're going to take this, definitely try it at home first to see how you are going to react to it.

Edited by Treven

This is assuming you aren't allergic to Ambien. Unfortunately I had major side effects with this. Now my HMO has this as one of the drugs I'm allergic to, so I won't be prescribed this accidentally. So if you're going to take this, definitely try it at home first to see how you are going to react to it.

I have the most bizarre dreams with ambien. All involve motion-escalators-elevators etc. undulating, going sideways etc. Creepy!!

No matter which way I am going, I immediately put myself in the time zone where I am going to be. I don't even think about what time it is "at home". This works for me.

Similar plan here. I set my watch to the destination Time Zone at takeoff. Also don't think about time at home until on the way home.:D

I have the most bizarre dreams with ambien. All involve motion-escalators-elevators etc. undulating, going sideways etc. Creepy!!

I kept my gun in the bottom drawer of my nightstand and its magazine in another drawer. One Sunday morning I woke up and found my gun was sitting on top of the nightstand, and it was loaded!! I stopped taking Ambian that night!!

I kept my gun in the bottom drawer of my nightstand and its magazine in another drawer. One Sunday morning I woke up and found my gun was sitting on top of the nightstand, and it was loaded!! I stopped taking Ambian that night!!

That is scary!

I e-mailed people while under the influence of Ambien telling them in detail about my cataract surgery......I never had cataract surgery!

It is definitely not for everyone.

Chuckling about the Ambien stories. I take it, and sometimes have Ambien induced "chocolate fests". The other day I woke up and found a bag of chocolate chips sitting on my dresser, opened and partially eaten. I KNOW that bag was unopened the day before. Have no recollection of eating it.

My sister lives in Turkey, and travels across the pond frequently. I followed her directions and have had virtually no jet lag in ages. Flying from JFK TO Europe, I take the latest possible flight (like 11 pm or midnight). I set my watch and phone to the NEW time zone. I do not eat the dinner they serve. As soon as we reach cruising altitude, in go the earplugs, on goes the eye mask, and it's goodnight all. I can't take Ambien on a flight because it's not a full 8 hours to sleep, and besides, I'm afraid of what I might do! So I take 50 mg of Benadryl and that works fine. When breakfast is served, I wake up (from the smell, I guess). I eat breakfast, and start my new day. I do not take a nap, and I go to bed at my normal time. Yes, I'm tired that day, but I wake up the next day ready to go. This is yet another good reason to fly in the day before the cruise leaves.

Going back home, I take an early flight, getting into JFK between mid-afternoon and early evening. I try to get at least a few hours of sleep on the plane, and of course I set my clock back to "home" time. Once home, I force myself to stay up until at least 10 pm, usually 11. I generally wake up early the next morning, but I make it through the day fine, and by the next day I'm back on track.

This has worked on every trip I've made in the past 10 years, whether to Turkey, Europe, or UK. That said, YMMV.

I've always had a bigger problem going backwards (Midwest to Hawaii, Tahiti, etc.) then going east to Europe. As stated, it is different for everyone. I prefer the night flights.

In a few days, I'm leaving at 10 p.m., arrive in London at noon. I'll totally forget what time is in Wisconsin. I'll try to sleep, might try allergy medicine. When I arrive, I'll take the bus to Southampton, check in the hotel, go to dinner, then crash. I did the nap routine one time, not a good idea for me. I'm better off staying up, going to bed around nine or ten, next morning I'll be fine. Fortunately the cruise has 3 sea days to start so if I'm a little out of whack, no biggie.

I find my lack of imagination is invaluable for warding off jetlag. If the plane lands in broad daylight, my pea-brain assumes it's the next day and adjusts, regardless of how short the "night" was. I mean, I know what time zones are, I just lack the imagination to conceptualize them!

I also find it helpful that I'm totally nocturnal and I can easily stay up all night. So an overnight flight with no sleep (why sleep when I have uninterrupted peace and quiet for reading!) on the plane and then being up all day until a regular bedtime in Europe is no problem for me. I generally don't even get tired.