Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

However I'm truly confused... With all the dynamic dining threads the last few months, I've come to realize that many many CC'ers value their dining experience as a determining factor as to whether they will ever sail RCL again. I can only assume that dining is the #1 factor of cruising for them when booking a cruise no matter what line. Is this true for you? Do you base your cruise vacation on food? For those of you who have posted that the change to Dynamic Dining will be the end to your cruising RCL, I would love to read why dining is your #1 criteria? If that's the case, shouldn't you be sailing Oceana (supposed to be the foodie ships, best food on any cruiseline) or any other cruiseline more known for it's excellent dining?

I ask the above because I cruise primarily for the destinations, the amenities of the ships, price/value vs. land vacations, site seeing, relaxation, meeting new people or having that time with my significant other, but primarily to get away from my work reality and the absolute rat's race of life/work while feeling the ocean breeze and watching the seas go by... let alone being in new ports of call on a daily basis without unpacking! MDR vs. Dynamic is so very low on the list of what's important for cruising for me personally.

For me the MDR experience is very important. I never eat at fancy restaurants on land, and really enjoy the above and beyond service, food and menus. I wait for a seat, eat burgers and have standard service from a complete stranger all the time on land, I like that cruises are different.

Our last cruise we had MTD, and my wife and I decided we would rather not cruise than cruise with MTD, I can't imagine we would feel differently about DD. Really, if we couldn't book a MDR seating we would just go on a different cruise. I've been on 4 different classes of ships, with two different lines and have had a good time on all of them, so I wouldn't give up my dining experience just to go on a certain class.

I also hate the RCL reservation system, and the idea booking dining using that system months out, with no idea what other activities will be planned for the same time, really turns me off.

I sometimes wonder how people who HAVE to have the same waiter, same table, same time, same dining companions every night are ever able to go to a shoreside restaurant, especially when many do not accept reservations.?! They must all eat on a rotating menu at home at the same time in the same seats every week of their lives, with special meals cooked just for the fussy eaters in the family.

It is that hard to realize people go on a cruise to have a different experience than their normal life or a land vacation? I also don't pay $200/pp per night to roll down to the local Chili's.

I think everyone needs to give RCCL a chance to roll this out. It's just like dining at a shoreside eatery, only there will now be 3-4 distinctly different cuisine options included in the cruise fare. The menus will feature items that will satisfy picky palates, as well as they Will be able to accommodate special dietary requests (gluten free as an example), just like they do now.

I also don't go to the same 3 restaurants, 2 and 1/3 times in 7 days or 4 times in 12 days. For dinner restaurants, I generally only go to the same place once every couple weeks at most, and that would just be one restaurant, not 3.

Edited by OSUZorba

I'm tired of the pro-Dynamic Dining people attacking people who prefer the option of Traditional Dining. It's great if it works for you, but it's not for everyone. Don't tell someone they should wait and try it first before being against it, unless you plan on paying for their cruise.

In attempting to try it, the OP has been unable to get reservations for the times and restaurants of their choice. Why should they have to wait until they get onboard before maybe getting a desired reservation?

Before DD, there are 3 choices: First Seating, Second Seating, or MTD. It's so easy to do when booking a cruise over the phone. "I'd like the 6pm seating, please." Now I'm done, one less thing to plan or worry about. When I get on the ship, I'll sometimes go the MDR to locate my table. Either way, I'm seated as soon as I arrive or the doors are opened to the MDR. As a solo, I have the same people to sit with each night and the same waitstaff. I look forward to meeting with these people as we get beyond the icebreaker stuff. After a busy day in port or around the ship, I like getting served a glass of water with multiple refills. Then I like to eat some bread while looking over the menu. The assistant waiter knows I have the soda package from day 1, so he brings me a Coke without constantly asking for my seapass card. Since the menu changes each night, I can order more than one appetizer, entree and dessert if I desire. (I actually had a thin tablemate with a high metabolism order two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts every night and take photos of them before eating.) Then we all do it again the next night.

With DD, your only tablemates are your roommates or people you are traveling with if you make a reservation. Then you may have to make adjustments if there are conflicts with your Entertainment reservations (that by itself was a major PITA!) If you don't have reservations when you arrive, you will have to wait in a line with no guarantees a table will be ready for you when you get to the front of the line.

If you then decide you don't want to wait for a table, you can go to the Windjammer, but you lose out on the wait service. First, I would have to go back to my room to get my Coke Freestyle cup. Then I would have to juggle that with my plate of food from the self service buffet and a cup (not a glass) of water. If I want a refill on my soda, I have to wait 15 minutes whereas it would be refilled as many time I want in the MDR.

I can go on and on. The point is, people who eat outside the MDR (Extra $$$ specialty restaurants, Windjammer) and/or do the MTD have nothing to lose and more perceived "choices" with complimentary specialty restaurants whereas people who prefer Traditional Dining have a lot to lose, especially the choice of Traditional Dining. So stop attacking us.

Edited by TM38Rob

If you read the link I posted earlier it clearly says 7 complimentary eateries, 4 full service and 3 casual. 18 options total.

That's for Quantum class. On Oasis there will only be 3 full service complementary (for non-suite guests):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44038868&postcount=19

Edited by time4u2go

To the OP welcome to CC I am sorry you got misinformation. I have learned over the years that CC is a better source than any travel agent or calling RCCL direct.

Change is always scary but its not always bad.

NCL has been doing dinning like this for years. I have always made reservations but I know lots of people don't, can't, or won't. Unless they are big party 8 or more most are sat rather quickly.

There are things I will miss about traditional dinning and things I like about DD. My kids are excited because for the first time they will get to go to the specially restaurants like they do on NCL.

Since in the past some people have always been upset with the idea of kids on Chops. My money is on them not being a fan of kids in any of the specialty restaurants' but as long as its allowed even encouraged with the childs price we will be there.

I just wish entertainment will open up.

I'm tired of the pro-Dynamic Dining people attacking people who prefer the option of Traditional Dining. .

Who has attacked anyone?

Just as Im sure all the pro Dynamic Dining people are tired of all the pro traditional dining people whining about something that hasnt been rolled out yet. Dont tell someone they should be against it before even trying it unless you are willing to pay for their cruise.

See how that works?

Edited by ryano

Some want it and some don't.

Some will love it and some won't.

Only time will tell how it all works out.

I hope it is a great success for those who want it.

I just don't understand why RCCL is essentially doing away with the entire traditional MDR system of dining.

Even with some statistics that "may" show a big increase in passengers going to specialty dining venues the poll on this forum does indicate there are many who want to stay with what's considered traditional, for whatever reasons.

Good sailing to all.

bosco

I just don't understand why RCCL is essentially doing away with the entire traditional MDR system of dining....

I see many empty chairs at traditional dining anymore. Just a guess, but I suspect that on some ships they have problems handling all the folks who want My Time in a timely manner. By eliminating traditional, it will free up many seats that go unused in the space that is currently reserved for traditional.

I see many empty chairs at traditional dining anymore. Just a guess, but I suspect that on some ships they have problems handling all the folks who want My Time in a timely manner. By eliminating traditional, it will free up many seats that go unused in the space that is currently reserved for traditional.

That's what we noticed on our most recent cruise. There were so many people waiting for My Time one night as we left, we decided to walk by the traditional dining room to have a look. Just 45 minutes into their service, the dining room looked half empty....

Edited by ciera123

I think the one thing that these DD threads point out is that not every vacation works for everybody. Honestly, it seems to fall about 50-50.

For me, it's an exciting change that mimics my cruising style perfectly.

I cruise solo, but prefer to dine alone. I've suffered through one too many awkward dining events, where I felt trapped through the entire meal. I love meeting new people, I do it quite successfully at the bars and events throughout the ship, but can be perfectly comfortable walking away from the situation if it gets uncomfortable.

I also hate making plans ahead of time, so for years I've been walking up to specialty restaurants and inquiring about being accommodated. I've never had a problem moving on if it wasn't possible, or eating from one of the casual venues. Footloose and fancy free tends to work for me when I'm on vacation.

Some want it and some don't.

Some will love it and some won't.

Only time will tell how it all works out.

I hope it is a great success for those who want it.

I just don't understand why RCCL is essentially doing away with the entire traditional MDR system of dining.

Even with some statistics that "may" show a big increase in passengers going to specialty dining venues the poll on this forum does indicate there are many who want to stay with what's considered traditional, for whatever reasons.

Good sailing to all.

bosco

I think we know why they are doing this. $$$$$$$$$. :)

I've experienced both traditional MDR on many cruise lines and Freestyle dining on NCL. I actually like both ways equally. We met some really nice and interesting people in the MDR on our Princess and Celebrity cruises and enjoyed our assigned waiters, Maitre'd and sommelier. We've also enjoyed dining alone on NCL in both the MDR and various specialty restaurants and enjoyed the waiters and waitresses we met. My hope is that some cruise lines will keep the traditional MDR with assigned seating and others will not so we can all continue to enjoy both types of cruise dining. I don't feel that one way of having dining is superior over the other. They are simply different and I am happy with either type.

I wish they would have Dynamic Dining on the Indy when I go in July 2015. I'm on the cruise to enjoy my family, I don't want to have to eat with complete strangers. I think it would be fun to try a different restaurant every night.

Just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. But I really don't think you should knock it before ANYONE has even tried it. No one can say what the exact details are until it has actually been rolled out on a ship. I would love to get comments from a large group of different people AFTER they have actually tried it.

I find all the "I don't want to have to choose my dining 6 months in advance!" comments funny. Part of Dynamic Dining is that you will be able to walk up to a venue and be seated. RCL held back reservations so reservations don't fill the restaurants to 100% capacity. I know somebody is going to say, "They won't have room", "It'll be full", "It won't work", "I don't want to wait 45 minutes to eat". All the negatives of DD are being based off theory alone.

Un-proven groans:

Wait times

They won't know my drink (They will, each waiter will have a tablet with your drink preferences from the previous nights)

Service will take a hit

Can't find anything I like (Alternative menu at every venue for beef, chicken, fish)

Sociability

I didn't like NCL dining, so I won't like this.

Proven groans:

----------

Give it 4 weeks people. In 4 weeks we'll have 1st hand accounts of DD and how it was executed. Until then, book the other 90% of RCCL ships with the empty MDR.

Edited by hitaway4

I typically cruise o the smaller ships, so I suspect it will be quite a while before this directly impacts me. However, when it does, I will also likely be looking for other cruise lines, like the OP. I don't mind making reservations. I typically do because I utilize MTD. Making a standing reservation at 6:30-ish every night of my 7 day cruise is not a major under-taking. It's the ONLY think I have to really plan in advance on my cruise and...if I chose not to...I could just show up and be seated.

From what I understand from these boards, the larger ships require SIGNIFICANTLY more advance planning and scheduling in order to dine or see the shows. Cruisers are already immersed in pre-cruise planning. AFTER researching ships and itineraries, we look for deals on airfares, identify transfer options, search for the right hotel for pre- or post-cruise stays, research, select and book shore excursions, etc. Once ON the ship, I want to relax and enjoy the atmosphere and amazing service. Forcing passengers to schedule all their on-board activities so far in advance is too much like WORK! I go on vacation to ESCAPE work!! ;)

We have done MTD since it came out and far prefer it. We have made reservations ahead of time, just for "ease". However, we always end up doing something different on board. Never had a problem with eating somewhere else and/or at a different time than scheduled.

I see DD the same way. If I am booked on a ship that moves to DD, I'll book some times that will work with the shows in advance (assuming I don't have the problems the OP did with the reservations) and then do whatever on board. I think that will be like most people--therefore tables do open up.

I feel Royal Caribbean had to come up with a solution to so many empty seats in the traditional MDR. With the continued expansion of Specialty restaurants, I found the tables sat very empty (or only 2 people at large tables) many nights due to others choosing other options. That is not effective both with a use of seats as well as the food prep that they would complete.

I think DD is their solution. I think it will also improve food quality. That said, I am sure there will be some learning curve and some disappointment from those who continued the traditional path and did not choose any other venues throughout the cruise. I think it would be good if they kept their smaller ships wit h traditional dining vs. moving to DD. Or all MTD dining where you can reserve the times. Primarily as they don't have the space to introduce multiple venues with different menus. That's my opinion.

I am awaiting anticipation of the first reviews (and reviews 6 months) later of how DD works onboard...and also how it works for those that don't keep their pre-scheduled times/do not schedule ahead. My guess is some who thought they would hate it will love it...and some who thought they would love it will hate it. Isn't that just human behavior?

In any respect, hopefully it will not ruin anyone's cruise. Best of luck to those who sail first :)

I definitely think the issue of empty chairs during traditional dining was the catalyst for this change. But RCCL created the problem when they instituted specialty restaurants and drew people away from the MDR. Specialty dining is a big money draw so that is not going away any time soon. RCCL had to come up with a solution to the half empty MDR.

We cruise as a family of 6 and tried MTD last cruise. It worked out fine. I made a reservation for 6:30 EACH night, prior to the cruise. In essence, we had traditional dining, but at MY TIME. We had the same table each night, same wait staff. For us, interacting with the wait staff makes for a fun cruise. When I think back to some of the best times on our 7 previous cruises, dinner time always comes up on top of the list.

I think RCCL has defined the problem, I just don't think the solution was that thought out. Perhaps Quantum will be the guinea pig and changes can be made as other ships come on line allowing some form of traditional dining to still exist for those who want it. I think that most couples will now opt for a table for 2 rather than sit with 8 different people each night. More like hometown restaurants. Large groups traveling together who can plan ahead and claim a large table each night with a reservation will be less affected.

We have stayed away from NCL because of Freestyle Dining. I hope we won't have to look to other cruise lines down the road. But I am willing to try it out before making that decision.

I find all the "I don't want to have to choose my dining 6 months in advance!" comments funny. Part of Dynamic Dining is that you will be able to walk up to a venue and be seated. RCL held back reservations so reservations don't fill the restaurants to 100% capacity. I know somebody is going to say, "They won't have room", "It'll be full", "It won't work", "I don't want to wait 45 minutes to eat". All the negatives of DD are being based off theory alone.

Un-proven groans:

Wait times

They won't know my drink (They will, each waiter will have a tablet with your drink preferences from the previous nights)

Service will take a hit

Can't find anything I like (Alternative menu at every venue for beef, chicken, fish)

Sociability

I didn't like NCL dining, so I won't like this.

Proven groans:

Unfortunately, with my family of 10, walk ins for table will probably not be available. Always will be two sides of every problem, somebody will inevitably get the bad end. So I will make sure to reserve early.

----------

Give it 4 weeks people. In 4 weeks we'll have 1st hand accounts of DD and how it was executed. Until then, book the other 90% of RCCL ships with the empty MDR.

see above

We wil be trying the Quantum in May. We are planning to be 30 nights on that ship. Are you telling us that we have to book in advance and make reservations for the 30 nights?:eek:

If there was ever a definition of 'First World Problem', this is it in a nutshell.

And to answer your question, very likely, but if you're well off enough to book a 30 night cruise, I'm guessing your TA would be more than happy to help with this.

And I wish I was you! ;)

KC

I definitely think the issue of empty chairs during traditional dining was the catalyst for this change. But RCCL created the problem when they instituted specialty restaurants and drew people away from the MDR. Specialty dining is a big money draw so that is not going away any time soon. RCCL had to come up with a solution to the half empty MDR.

We cruise as a family of 6 and tried MTD last cruise. It worked out fine. I made a reservation for 6:30 EACH night, prior to the cruise. In essence, we had traditional dining, but at MY TIME. We had the same table each night, same wait staff. For us, interacting with the wait staff makes for a fun cruise. When I think back to some of the best times on our 7 previous cruises, dinner time always comes up on top of the list.

I think RCCL has defined the problem, I just don't think the solution was that thought out. Perhaps Quantum will be the guinea pig and changes can be made as other ships come on line allowing some form of traditional dining to still exist for those who want it. I think that most couples will now opt for a table for 2 rather than sit with 8 different people each night. More like hometown restaurants. Large groups traveling together who can plan ahead and claim a large table each night with a reservation will be less affected.

We have stayed away from NCL because of Freestyle Dining. I hope we won't have to look to other cruise lines down the road. But I am willing to try it out before making that decision.

I'm not sure why you would stay away from Freestyle Dining if you enjoyed My Time Dining. I've done both and it was the same exact thing. We had the same table and wait staff and dinner time (of our own choosing) every night unless we needed to switch it up for some reason.

Of course, we had 2 tables for 13 people, so maybe it's different for smaller groups, maybe there aren't a lot of tables for 2? I'm not sure.

Even if it was my husband and me without the kids and the rest of our family, I would never choose to sit with strangers each night (whether it was the same strangers or different strangers every night). Actually ESPECIALLY if it was just my husband and me. We enjoy each's other's company. Now I'm dreaming of leaving my kids at home for a cruise with just my hubby...hmmmmmm......

I had a chat with the C&A desk. They told me like current MTD in all ships, Quantum is prepared for the walk-up crowd at each venue... of course based on availability. All 4000 people on board obviously cannot walk up to Chic at 6pm and expect to be seated, yes? They have left a lot of open seating at each venue, so even though your planner might say nothing avail in Chic until 9pm, they likely actually do... on every single sailing.

I told her that I had booked all my dining, that I'm happy with timing and venues. I let her know as a solo I wish to know whether I'll be seated with others or alone. She told me as booked on the planner that I'll be seated alone and therefore my seat and time is guaranteed... BUT, just like current MTD in all ships today, walk-ups will be seated first come first serve and be asked if they wish to be seated alone or with others in larger tables just like it is right now in MTD. So she asked me to see the Maitre-D when I show up and ask to be seated with others, which will then be able to free up a table for 2 for someone else.

Hope this info helps those of you who were concerned that you would never meet or sit with other people, or you had to pre-book every single meal. If anyone else has any other first-hand info from RCL regarding this please share.

However I'm truly confused... With all the dynamic dining threads the last few months, I've come to realize that many many CC'ers value their dining experience as a determining factor as to whether they will ever sail RCL again. I can only assume that dining is the #1 factor of cruising for them when booking a cruise no matter what line. Is this true for you? Do you base your cruise vacation on food? For those of you who have posted that the change to Dynamic Dining will be the end to your cruising RCL, I would love to read why dining is your #1 criteria? If that's the case, shouldn't you be sailing Oceana (supposed to be the foodie ships, best food on any cruiseline) or any other cruiseline more known for it's excellent dining?

I ask the above because I cruise primarily for the destinations, the amenities of the ships, price/value vs. land vacations, site seeing, relaxation, meeting new people or having that time with my significant other, but primarily to get away from my work reality and the absolute rat's race of life/work while feeling the ocean breeze and watching the seas go by... let alone being in new ports of call on a daily basis without unpacking! MDR vs. Dynamic is so very low on the list of what's important for cruising for me personally.

Are you really that simple minded? Suppose the list of things, in order, that I use to decide are; Time of year, ports of call, length of time I have available, total cost of vacation, on board dining options, etc. The first 4 items are more important than dining...but they can all be met with other lines/ships. So if I can check those 4, plus the next two (whatever they may be) then why would I intentionally ignore dining.

We very much enjoy the MDR and meeting new dining companions. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Why do so many people ASSUME dining is the most important thing for us when it is simply a matter of all of the more important things being available on ALL OTHER options?