Nordstrom's

Lois R

I love Nordstrom and shop there a lot. Two new Racks have opened in my area in the last two months and it appears that they have taken a new direction. The old Rack really made you feel like it was stocked with Nordstrom stuff, both of the new ones, while big and clean and well-lit, appear to be more like Marshalls. Definitely fewer high-end clothes - only 18-19% of the inventory actually comes from Nordstrom full-line stores, according to a recent article. The same article said that the uptick in opening Rack's, and the creation (acquisition?) of Haute Look are an effort to attract more younger shoppers. Having said that, I seldom come out of the Rack without having bought an item or two!

I love Nordstrom and shop there a lot. Two new Racks have opened in my area in the last two months and it appears that they have taken a new direction. The old Rack really made you feel like it was stocked with Nordstrom stuff, both of the new ones, while big and clean and well-lit, appear to be more like Marshalls. Definitely fewer high-end clothes - only 18-19% of the inventory actually comes from Nordstrom full-line stores, according to a recent article. The same article said that the uptick in opening Rack's, and the creation (acquisition?) of Haute Look are an effort to attract more younger shoppers. Having said that, I seldom come out of the Rack without having bought an item or two!

Interesting..... I've been seeing ads from Haute Look and had no idea they are associated with Nordstrom's.

Interesting..... I've been seeing ads from Haute Look and had no idea they are associated with Nordstrom's.

The emails say it- that they're associated with Nordstrom Rack (and I have ordered something from HL and returned it to a Rack store without problem - though some items are final sale so you have to make sure you check before ordering if you're not certain on sizing or color etc).

Honestly, I've had better luck in the past year with the Off Fifth (Saks) store than with Nordstrom Rack, but it's probably just what I've been shopping for (cashmere sweaters). Always nice to have options!

The emails say it- that they're associated with Nordstrom Rack (and I have ordered something from HL and returned it to a Rack store without problem - though some items are final sale so you have to make sure you check before ordering if you're not certain on sizing or color etc).

Honestly, I've had better luck in the past year with the Off Fifth (Saks) store than with Nordstrom Rack, but it's probably just what I've been shopping for (cashmere sweaters). Always nice to have options!

Thanks. Haute Look didn't interest me enough to actually read it. :)

They closed the Off Fifth store near us about 8 years ago. I wish we still had it..... miss it.

Actually, The Rack is in the building Off Fifth used to occupy.

Edited by sail7seas

I've bought some great items at Nordstrom Rack and other outlets. I know the merchandise they sell isn't the same as the main retail stores, but I take that into consideration when looking at the price.

Just last month I bought a michael kors blouse at Nordstrom Rack for $30. I loved the design and was happy with the quality. I really don't care whether it's a real michael kors as I didn't buy it for the brand name

I've bought stuff at outlets that has lasted me years, and have bought other stuff at department stores that fell apart within a year. So higher end brand names and higher pricing isn't always a measure of quality.

I've bought some great items at Nordstrom Rack and other outlets. I know the merchandise they sell isn't the same as the main retail stores, but I take that into consideration when looking at the price.

Just last month I bought a michael kors blouse at Nordstrom Rack for $30. I loved the design and was happy with the quality. I really don't care whether it's a real michael kors as I didn't buy it for the brand name

I've bought stuff at outlets that has lasted me years, and have bought other stuff at department stores that fell apart within a year. So higher end brand names and higher pricing isn't always a measure of quality.

I used to buy Halogen and Caslon brand at Nordstrom, I stopped buying them long time ago. I agree, there are some brands at department store not the same quality

I am going to get flamed for this. I like to buy designer clothes. I know what I am getting is what I pay for. I am one of those people do not like to wear what other people wear. I like to be different. My daily clothes I usually wear them until the end of the season then I donate them. My dresses and gowns I rarely wear them twice. I usually donate them here. The bottom line; whatever work for you go for it.

M

Edited by Porthopper101

I went to the new Rack that opened up. Only made two purchases. The store was clean, well lit and very uncluttered but then it has only been open for 5 days. :D

I found the cutest cross body bag from Poverty Flats for $15 in black and white. It is small and will go with almost everything I own. Not to mention small enough for the ship. My big wallet won't fit in it but that is a good reason for a new wallet. ;)

My other purchase was a lovely pair of lace nude panties. The problem was when I got them home and tried them on. The fit is wonderful, the panty comfortable and no lines what I didn't know was that it was a thong! It didn't look like one when I looked at it. So; I got my first thong ladies at well past 60 years of age. :eek::o

I used to buy Halogen and Caslon brand at Nordstrom, I stopped buying them long time ago. I agree, there are some brands at department store not the same quality

I am going to get flamed for this. I like to buy designer clothes. I know what I am getting is what I pay for. I am one of those people do not like to wear what other people wear. I like to be different. My daily clothes I usually wear them until the end of the season then I donate them. My dresses and gowns I rarely wear them twice. I usually donate them here. The bottom line; whatever work for you go for it.

M

Yes!!!

M

Hi, no flames from me. Do whatever makes you happy:)......and I always

like to say, "Different strokes for different folks":D

I love Nordstrom! Now that we moved back to where I'm from for retirement that means shopping trips to Chicago a few times a year. I love the space between aisles, the customer service and specific brands. Caslon is a Nordstrom made brand. Those sweaters are made for the budget minded 20 something. The Nordstrom Collection cashmere sweaters are 10 year investments and so soft and thick but not hot or bulky. I got lucky and timed our last trip during their Anniversary Sale. I left with a beautiful bateau neck black cashmere sweater and a drape front black cashmere cardigan by Nordstrom Collection for half the normal price but they are deals at full price. Added two discounted Ts by Eileen Fisher and one full price pair of her crepe straight leg pants. We just got a Rack in town and I'll probably go look but if it is like most outlet stores like Marshall's it will be a short look.

I like Chico's for tops and jackets but their bottoms inseams almost all stopped at 28" except their Traveler line and I cannot stand acetate on my skin. Everything is skinny, jeggings, leggings and crops. I was there immediately when they put out 32" inseam jeans in a dark wash and black. Those are the only boot cut or decently straight leg pants this year and I bought both for local wear. The only nice pair of twills I've seen for Fall were on the Chicago trip at LL Bean. A true khaki color, real pockets so no bulging when sitting, a tiny bit of stretch and I ordered my Medium Talls online.

M

Dang! where do you donate your stuff? I'll take them! :D

I love Nordstrom! Now that we moved back to where I'm from for retirement that means shopping trips to Chicago a few times a year. I love the space between aisles, the customer service and specific brands. Caslon is a Nordstrom made brand. Those sweaters are made for the budget minded 20 something. The Nordstrom Collection cashmere sweaters are 10 year investments and so soft and thick but not hot or bulky. I got lucky and timed our last trip during their Anniversary Sale. I left with a beautiful bateau neck black cashmere sweater and a drape front black cashmere cardigan by Nordstrom Collection for half the normal price but they are deals at full price. Added two discounted Ts by Eileen Fisher and one full price pair of her crepe straight leg pants. We just got a Rack in town and I'll probably go look but if it is like most outlet stores like Marshall's it will be a short look.

I like Chico's for tops and jackets but their bottoms inseams almost all stopped at 28" except their Traveler line and I cannot stand acetate on my skin. Everything is skinny, jeggings, leggings and crops. I was there immediately when they put out 32" inseam jeans in a dark wash and black. Those are the only boot cut or decently straight leg pants this year and I bought both for local wear. The only nice pair of twills I've seen for Fall were on the Chicago trip at LL Bean. A true khaki color, real pockets so no bulging when sitting, a tiny bit of stretch and I ordered my Medium Talls online.

Huh? When I was in my 20s (I'm 34 now) I always thought the Caslon brand was for people like my mom, 40-50s.

Currently have four pairs and even in my younger, "financially leaner" days, I always had two: I swear by these, and I have never been disappointed!

Huh? When I was in my 20s (I'm 34 now) I always thought the Caslon brand was for people like my mom, 40-50s.

I find that Caslon and Halogen are cut for younger women. I've tried on a lot of clothes there and none of their less-expensive store brands seem to be cut for anyone over 40.

I find that Caslon and Halogen are cut for younger women. I've tried on a lot of clothes there and none of their less-expensive store brands seem to be cut for anyone over 40.

I don't understand how cut and age correlate here. I'm 60 and the Caslon shirts fit me just fine ;)

Always loved Nordies(almost as much as Bloomingdales) because of hard-to-find designer ready-to-wear clothing/shoes and impeccable customer service. However, the last 6-8 years they have changed a lot of their inventory in the store in my area to attract shoppers that like Macy's or JC Penney and the prices are still high. No thanks, I don't care to pay premium prices for clothes and shoes that I can buy online- especially on sample sites like Gilt and Hautelook. I don't even shop at their Anniversary Sale anymore and I was loyal to that sale for over 15 years. Just not impressed with their selection anymore like I used to be. Online shopping has changed my need to go into department stores. I will still go look at the handbags if I'm in the mall and buy cosmetics that aren't sold at Ulta. I've gotten some great handbags on sale at Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack that I still have years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We all know that brands are cut differently to fit different shapes & sizes, so it makes absolute sense to me that some brands will fit me and others aren't the best fit, no matter what size I am - even if we're the same size, it's likely our shapes will be different.....

We all know that brands are cut differently to fit different shapes & sizes, so it makes absolute sense to me that some brands will fit me and others aren't the best fit, no matter what size I am - even if we're the same size, it's likely our shapes will be different.....

I wasn't making my comment on cut for shape/size, but that the poster said it was cut for a younger age demographic. I'm definitely older than 40, but I guess, if the cut/fit is for a younger age, my body is wearing better than some other "olders" ;)

Seems the standard difference between Junior & Misses sizes is the narrowness of the waist/hips/thighs. I assumed that is what was meant. I have never been able to fit into "juniors" clothing as I have an hourglass shape and my waist/hip/thigh ratio never looked right in Juniors clothing. Made it hard to dress at age 13. Not so bad for me now at 40 - because for 30+ years I've had a fairly preppy/traditional/classic style. Doesn't mean I want shapeless either, which is what "women's" meant for so long. Just happy there are so many stores & brands available these days so all of us can find what we want.

If your personal style doesn't match the clothing available that fits your body shape, then it's a problem. I would hate that!

It's normal for women to get thicker around the middle as they age (but not always). I'm 59 and it's been happening for several years. Bye bye tiny waist of my youth. I do notice that some clothes, especially pants, don't fit me as well in the waist as they used to.

It's normal for women to get thicker around the middle as they age (but not always). I'm 59 and it's been happening for several years. Bye bye tiny waist of my youth. I do notice that some clothes, especially pants, don't fit me as well in the waist as they used to.

Ain't that the truth...I did find some jeans I really liked at Nordy's. Not your Daughters Jeans. I don't wear jeans a lot, but they actually fit really well. I definitely have to have spandex in my fitted pants now.

Now that I'm retired, I don't shop much anymore, but I do run by the Rack every so often, because it's only a couple of miles, and I love their bra shelf camisoles. Lots of colors and I expensive.