Rc: Serenade of the seas - never again!

MATJ2000-

Well said and I agree with your post

Unfortunately, a poor review of an RCL ship is not well tolerated on these boards. And some write scarcastic replies.

Its just one man's opinion

I agree, people should be free to express the opinions that they are entitled to. But posting on the RC boards you should expect the RC cheerleaders to defend. If we went into the Carnival boards with a similar post we should expect similar reaction :rolleyes:

I agree, people should be free to express the opinions that they are entitled to. But posting on the RC boards you should expect the RC cheerleaders to defend. If we went into the Carnival boards with a similar post we should expect similar reaction :rolleyes:

Especially when the melodramatic words "never again!" are used.

Beautiful. :) But to be fair, Ryan, Serenade doesn't look like this anymore. They took the stairs out in the refurb. I was speaking to the Hotel Director on our March cruise and she shook her head in agreement that it was an interesting choice to do so. I, for one, loved the stairs in the Centrum. Jewel still has them. :)

So does the Radiance! :)

Beautiful. :) But to be fair, Ryan, Serenade doesn't look like this anymore. They took the stairs out in the refurb.

I had no idea! Thanks for the info :) I loved those steps on Radiance and I bet even without them, Serenade still has more "grandeur" than even the newest of Carnival ships ;) Based on all the pictures Ive seen of every one of their ships, I find them pretty hideous in decor.

I think that the OP "thinks" they gave Royal a fair try. But I think they were looking for validation to stick with Carnival.

All the validation they need is their own preference. Neither they, nor anyone else, is obligated to give anything a "fair try" - they should spend their money on whichever product or service (or cruiseline in this case) they like better. OP, you don't need anybody here to confirm whether or not your opinions are legitimate. Neither should you expect too many people here to accept your premise that Carnival is better because our opinions are different.

Happy Sails!

All the validation they need is their own preference. Neither they, nor anyone else, is obligated to give anything a "fair try" - they should spend their money on whichever product or service (or cruiseline in this case) they like better. OP, you don't need anybody here to confirm whether or not your opinions are legitimate. Neither should you expect too many people here to accept your premise that Carnival is better because our opinions are different.

Happy Sails!

well said

you beat me to it :p

Aww! :D

So does the Radiance! :)

Nice! She is the only Radiance-class ship we have not been on. The stairs were/are lovely for photos.

Based on all the pictures Ive seen of every one of their ships, I find them pretty hideous in decor.

Even though I have not been on Carnival either, all I have to go on is pictures and I agree with you. But - personal taste is just that - OP prefers Carnival, and that's cool. :)

Haha. I knew I should have stopped reading the review after that "spoiled" line.

I stopped at describing the food as "slop". That treads on my prior statement that while the food may not be exactly what you'd hoped for, we're not talking galley-slave rations even the crew rejected and the Health Department would issue citations for. Not normally, anyway.

I will agree the OP made a valid point that we should have more control over whether we want announcements. There was a big ol "volume" knob on our wall but it seemed to have zero effect. Sometimes I don't want to have to hear the broadcast, but others I don't want to have to throw on a towel and run into the hall to hear it.

The way I see it is like if you're a big Carrie Underwood fan and say the new U2 album stinks, you probably wouldn't like it anyway so what's the point it purposely seeking out U2 fans to in-your-face them. But if you're a U2 fan and say it stinks, you can give a more objective reasoning than "Because it doesn't sound like Carrie Underwood."

As you can see we have sailed Carnival many times and quite a few on Royal.I don't miss the loud annoucemence in the cabin and on Carnival you will definetly know about Bingo or any other sales pitch every morning.Everyone to their own taste but as I noticed that the OP was on a new 2012 Dream class along with a couple more but compares Royal 's 2003 Ship. I Love the Radiance class along with all the others, but If you want to compare go on the Freedom & Oasis Classes and tell me how they compare to the dream classes on Carnival.

Bob The Villages Florida

The way I see it is like if you're a big Carrie Underwood fan and say the new U2 album stinks, you probably wouldn't like it anyway so what's the point it purposely seeking out U2 fans to in-your-face them. But if you're a U2 fan and say it stinks, you can give a more objective reasoning than "Because it doesn't sound like Carrie Underwood."

cool analogy. I'm a U2 fan and I hate there new album. lol

MATJ2000-

Well said and I agree with your post

Unfortunately, a poor review of an RCL ship is not well tolerated on these boards. And some write scarcastic replies.

Its just one man's opinion

I have no problem with a bad review as long as it also lists the good things too. This was only one sided

Edited by SeaUs

The complaints might not seem that bad at first glance, but sometimes things go wrong, they seem to snowball and get worse.

People always do not understand that unless it happens to them.

They just come here to tell their story and vent which makes them feel better.

Unfortunately that is almost impossible.

The hard-core loyalist get so angry and defensive.

This one is twice as bad because they like Carnival better.

Which really infuriates folks around here.

The next thing they will do is start looking into past posts

and dig up anything to make your post seem as worthless as possible.

I say leave the OP alone, maybe he will tell the good stuff about the cruise.....

Totally agree!

Everyone is allowed their opinion and if this is only a place for cheer leaders, then no one but the cheer leaders benefit.

This is a place to hear the good, bad and ugly so that everyone can make an informed choice realizing that somethings go wrong, some people just complain and some people are just cheer leaders. Please stop discouraging people from offering their opinions by dogging them after they say something that isn't positive. It defeats the purpose of the site.

Edited by tgnorton

I'm wondering just what the OP expected since they said the cruise did not meet their expectations.:confused: This being their first cruise on Royal Caribbean, wouldn't it have been a good idea to ask a few questions on this board as to what they might see as differences between Carnival and Royal? Did they join the roll call for this cruise to ask there? Any number of their concerns could have been addressed there.

Yes, everyone has the right to express their opinions but when food is referred to as slop, entertainment mediocre, pool water too salty, lunch menu disgusting, no in roo announcements, etc. it gives me pause since most of those things are completely subjective. The only truly legitimate complaint I could see was the screw up with their onboard account.

Rarely does a different cruise line measure up to someone who feels they've been spoiled by another line. The OP would have been better off posting their review on the Carnival board to let them all know just how horrible Royal Caribbean is.;):)

I'm wondering just what the OP expected since they said the cruise did not meet their expectations.:confused: This being their first cruise on Royal Caribbean, wouldn't it have been a good idea to ask a few questions on this board as to what they might see as differences between Carnival and Royal? Did they join the roll call for this cruise to ask there? Any number of their concerns could have been addressed there.

Yes, everyone has the right to express their opinions but when food is referred to as slop, entertainment mediocre, pool water too salty, lunch menu disgusting, no in roo announcements, etc. it gives me pause since most of those things are completely subjective. The only truly legitimate complaint I could see was the screw up with their onboard account.

Rarely does a different cruise line measure up to someone who feels they've been spoiled by another line. The OP would have been better off posting their review on the Carnival board to let them all know just how horrible Royal Caribbean is.;):)

Bingo ^

I've only read the 1st page, but I have to agree with the OP about the announcements.

There is an on/off/volume knob in RCCL cabins for the speaker. I would prefer to have the choice as to whether I hear the announcements. Many times, I've left the door propped so I could hear the hall announcements.

And, to be fair (I've only taken one Carnival cruise...which will probably be it), I kinda like the look of the Carnival ships. I like RCCL's too, obviously.

(And, Carnival does drinks better)

Edited by KarinaGW

To the OP thanks for sharing your Serenade experience. I have been on one Carnival cruise and once was enough. I do find the changing of meal times odd, I have never ever experienced that situation on any cruise I have been on.

When I was on Serenade cruise in Nov., breakfast time was adjusted in Windjammer since we got into port so early and it was a port intensive cruise (if we docked at 7am, breakfast was earlier). But that info is in the Compass....

I cruise for ports and not the ship and my 12 night Med cruise on SOS was great.

IMO, posting a RCL ship review on Carnival page doesn't make sense.

OP may have been dramatic, but still the appropriate place to provide a review of an RCL ship is on RC thread.

And don't feel like bashing someone for posting ugly review helps promote honesty on the boards, improvement where needed or learning from others mistakes.

Who gets to decide what is too dramatic? Take it for what it's worth when you see someone who is too dramatic, in your opinion, but I would still rather see all opinions - not just the cheer leaders. But, that's just me.

Edited by tgnorton