Taking grandkids 11 & 9 on 1st cruise

mikaula

We are taking our grandkids on a cruise for the 1st time. An 11 year old boy & 9 year old girl. It's a 4day on the Inspiration. They are both very excited but don't think they want to go to Camp Carnival. Any ideas of thing to do that are "kid" friendly on the ship. I've heard the have Family Comedy shows. Is there a movie theater, or other activities besides the pool that would be geared for them? Thanks

that was about the age of our kids when we started taking them cruising. They say they don't want to go to camp but have them at least try it. If they don't enjoy themselves then they can do something else. They also may think they have to go all day and that is not true....

The fantasy class ships do not have dive in theater screens (big TVs up on deck)

My kids are split on the Kid's clubs, my older who has been Circle C and Club O2 age, loves to go the first night and meet people. My younger boy hasn't been a fan, but he always wants to do what his brother is doing, and that's not possible in this case. I would encourage them to try it out and check the schedule because my younger guy will find a couple activities he wants to check out (video game time, scavenger hunt, the demonstration that the magician does)

We've taken them at a time when there are lots of kids, so I've always laid out their expectations. I will let my little guy (almost 11) stay at the pool by himself, but only after I check out the scene first.

Our cruises have featured some activities geared for families, the boys love the family comedy but it's been more PG than G rated. We have fun doing some of the dance classes and the photo scavenger hunt is a blast.

Enjoy your cruise!

We took our Grandchildren (9) between ages 5 - 17 on the Freedom this past July. Most of them wanted no part of Camp Ocean but when they got there things changed. We really didn't get to see them, except during dinner. They loved the activities not only in Camp Ocean but also Circle C and Club 02. I'm not sure if Hasbro the Game Show is available on the Inspiration but if it is the younger children loved it.

We are taking our grandkids on a cruise for the 1st time. An 11 year old boy & 9 year old girl. It's a 4day on the Inspiration. They are both very excited but don't think they want to go to Camp Carnival. Any ideas of thing to do that are "kid" friendly on the ship. I've heard the have Family Comedy shows. Is there a movie theater, or other activities besides the pool that would be geared for them? Thanks

How do they decide when they have no idea what it's about?

AS for other ideas, there's a family board section on CC you might get some ideas.

Take them to the Camp Orientation the first night. Usually held right after muster. Get the schedule and they can decide what events they want to go to.

The Inspiration has a small waterworks on 11aft. And mini golf, ping pong, shuffleboard.

The mini golf course in Avalon is fun and challenging.

Yeah..they are at the PRIME age to enjoy what the clubs have to offer! At least take them the 1st night, let them take a gander, and go from there. When they find out how boring it will be to hang with the grandparents all the time, they're going to change their minds!

Thanks for all the ideas. I think we will go the 1st night to the camp and let them decide if they want to go.

cb at sea.....I had to laugh at your comment! I am not a boring grandma...I'm trying to convice the kids to zipline with me or parasail.

Remember to get a signed and notarized letter from the parents giving you permission to take them and make all medical decisions while you are away.

They may never ask for it, but better to be safe than sorry.

The 1st night camp has a family dance party, take them to this! This way you are still with them but they can see and meet the counselors and other kids.

Once you get the camp schedule let them decide what activities they like.

Another great thing we did when my kids were that young was bring walkie talkies. This way if they want to leave camp early or just get ahold of you while separated they can.

We took two sets of grandchildren on cruises. On the first cruise my granddaughter cried all the way to the port saying she did not want to go to Camp Carnival. Well..... When my husband went to get her the very first day, she cried that she did NOT want to leave Camp Carnival. The second set were prepared because she told them all about it and how much fun she had. When they went it was smooooth. They wanted to stay in the camp and we had to make them eat dinner with us. Ask them to try it and see. You may have to fight to get them out to spend time with you.

The dance sounds fun! I'm starting to think we might I might not want them to go to the Camp because we will never see them LOL!!

I want to give them a little gift every morning. I got them each binoculars for the 1st day. Any other ideas?

My daughter never cared for Camp Carnival, she is now 11. We last cruised in 2012 (hoping to have funds in 2016 for another). We also disliked Camp, loud, kids running amuk, pushing extra pay after hour parties (sorry, but don't tempt the kid with a 8PM bedtime to stay up PLEASE), a previous cruise she was told to build a bear or to do something else it was more $$$, just constant nickel and diming.

Our kid always hung with us, trivia she liked, pool she loved when not crowded, and wandering ports, seeing museums, Parks, visiting schools, orphanages etc..always trying to make it educational for her.

On the other hand, my sisters kid loves Camp C. to each their own.

The dance sounds fun! I'm starting to think we might I might not want them to go to the Camp because we will never see them LOL!!

I want to give them a little gift every morning. I got them each binoculars for the 1st day. Any other ideas?

Well, hi. :p an insulated cup with a straw so they can have pop out on deck or wherever and not worry about spilling. For the boy, a map of Mexico and some Mexican coins, for the girl a journal with travel stickers.

My boys loved the giant chess game and bean bag toss on the Ecstacy. IMO they won't spend much time in the clubs.

We really didn't get to see them, except during dinner.

Doesn't Camp Carnival close in the middle of the day?? :confused:

My DH and were looking forward to some nice, relaxing sea days, but then realized that we'll have the kids during the middle of the day when CC closes. No?