New Year's Cruise - Why Triple the Cost

elude411

Unexpectedly we have the last week of the year & first few days of next year off of work. I was looking at some Caribbean cruises, since we live in FL and have easy access to ports. But I noticed that the cost is approximately (sailing 12/27/14 or within the few days after) triple the cost for a 7 night sailing. Why is this week so much more $$$?

Simple economics! When demand increases, the price goes up. Holiday periods are a popular cruise time, Thanskgiving, Christmas, New Years and Spring Break. If you want to cruise then, be ready to spend more. If you're not, there are 10 people lined up behind you who will. :D

Unexpectedly we have the last week of the year & first few days of next year off of work. I was looking at some Caribbean cruises, since we live in FL and have easy access to ports. But I noticed that the cost is approximately (sailing 12/27/14 or within the few days after) triple the cost for a 7 night sailing. Why is this week so much more $$$?

Cruises that incorporate a holiday are always priced higher.

Edited by cruisenfever

We cruise every Christmas/New Year's Eve. You can find deals if you keep checking prices regularly. There's a great deal on a twelve night, Southern Caribbean, Holiday cruise on the Legend of the Seas - departing on 12/24 for $999...

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

We're booked on the Independence for New Year's this year - paid 60% less than current price.

Nothing better than being on a cruise for the holidays... !

- Doc

We cruise every Christmas/New Year's Eve. You can find deals if you keep checking prices regularly. There's a great deal on a twelve night, Southern Caribbean, Holiday cruise on the Legend of the Seas - departing on 12/24 for $999...

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

We're booked on the Independence for New Year's this year - paid 60% less than current price.

Nothing better than being on a cruise for the holidays... !

- Doc

Did our first Holiday cruise in 2011 and have been doing them every year since. Absolutely love it.

There are deals that do pop up, especially last minute.

We found that booking early worked this year. In a way it is like a futures contract. We booked last January for Vision NYE, Right now same room close to double! Gambling on a lower cost does not look to work for these in demand times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked the NYE cruise on Brilliance the day the itineraries were released. The price has more than doubled from $3744 to $7518, and we're well beyond final payment date, so I don't see prices dropping much if at all. We booked our 2016 NYE cruise the day it came out, and hit the BOGOHO jackpot on that one when we re-priced it the first day of the sale. That cruise is up more than 75% already, from $2682 to $4729 - and it's still more than a year out.

IMO, the days of price drops and last minute deals are going the way of the carrier pigeon:(

Edited by orville99

Maybe for a holiday like NYE, but definitely not in general.

Maybe, but it would be wise to practice holding your breath - because you may have to do that for a long time waiting for the volume of price drops we've seen in the past.;)

Supply and demand.

Supply and demand.

Supply and demand.

Supply and demand.

Supply and demand.

Everything is more expensive on New Year's Eve. Restaurants, hotels, parties.....they all charge a premium for this holiday.

It is a time when "everyone" wants to be out and celebrating.

A NYE cruise is "always" the most expensive week of the year.

Thanksgiving just isn't the same, by a long shot. Finding a bargain or last minute price drops happens on Thanksgiving cruises; it's exceedingly rare for a NYE cruise.

It is school vacation time for ALL levels of school.

Adults can often get that time off as well.

As for me............I have been taking my children on NYE cruises since 2003. It lets us all celebrate together, which wouldn't happen at home, and when they were teenagers and young adults, it kept them away from their friends, the roads, and other dangers.

Today I can take 6 solo cruises for what I paid for the three of us to take a NYE cruise, but to me, it was worth it.

:)

Maybe, but it would be wise to practice holding your breath - because you may have to do that for a long time waiting for the volume of price drops we've seen in the past.;)

Yeah I know, so says RCI. Color me skeptical. Those last minute price drops are there right now, and I'm betting they'll continue to be as long as cruises don't sell out far in advance - and many don't.