Debark or Disembark?

Corfe Mixture

I have always used disembark, though I understand that debark is also correct. Then again, we are most commonly Princess passengers, and that is the word they use in their materials. Perhaps that exposure is what influences a cruiser's preference of one over the other?

It is also true that Americans like to turn everything into action verbs. You can Google it.

You can use ‘debark’ or ‘disembark’ interchangeably. Both are verbs and both have the same meaning. If you use an incorrect tense no one will care. Americans are very free wheeling with the English language.

If you debark when you get off does that mean you bark when you get on??

Sounds pretty rough (sorry ruff) to me.

Adding to the confusion is that different cruise lines use different terms. On a recent Princess cruise, it was "disembarkation." On our prior cruise on Celebrity, it was "debarkation." I have generally found also that (American) people will use their preferred term in both a transitive and an intransitive sense rather than use one for transitive and the other for intransitive.

You could just do away with nautical terms like I do and simply "get on" or "get off" the boat. My room on the next cruise is in the Aloha floor and is located towards the front.

To be nautically correct, your room is located towards the "pointy end."

I'm American and have always used "disembark/disembarkation." Debark has always sounded wrong to me. I don't think I ever heard the word used until I started cruising. I may be wrong, but I think most Americans would say disembark/disembarkation. We understand both, though, so either would work fine. For what it's worth, we also understand lift, queue, holiday, etc.

I use "embarkation" to refer to boarding a ship, and not "barkation." So it makes sense to me to use "disembarkation" to refer to leaving the ship at the end of a cruise. And I never been to Europe (and actually lived the majority of my years in an area infamous for "Valspeak").

I spent 21 years in the U.S. Navy where the use of proper nautical terminology is stressed. (My favorite word was athwartships). Never in all those years did I hear the use of either bark/debark or embark/disembark. You either board ship or go ashore.

However, in civilian life here in Texas, I have only heard the term disembark and never the term debark. I think all y'all ought to use what ever term y'all are most comfortable with.

I agree that a total difference in meaning of an expression between two cultures can cause some confusion. I once heard that the expression "knocked up" has a totally different meaning in Australia than it does in the U.S.A.

"get the *^%# off the plane so we can get the next group of cattle on"?

Not much different on the ship either, is it?! ;)

And, as an American, I've always said "disembark", not debark. The latter reminds me of either taking away a dog's ability to speak or skinning a tree.